/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Contraptions edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Formatting Guide
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/
photojoiner.net/
fotor.com/features/photo-stitch.html

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Ah, so, the thread isn't going to die just yet.

>card
Why is the mana added like this? Why not just let it add mana on entry?

How the fuck do you determine which damage to prevent with that last ability?

>Why is the mana added like this? Why not just let it add mana on entry?
If it added mana on entry, it would net you -1 mana and a card. As is, it slow-ramps you on your next turn and nets you a card to use your extra mana on.

Sorry, it's supposed to be
>Prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to each creature you control this turn.
Hmm, I think I should add a mana cost to these abilities.

OK.

Not bad. I like the Blue spin on it by having you draw no matter what. Red never really gets that, does it? The only thing that comes to mind is the last Chandra.

Oh wow, I just realized that this triggers itself. Better fix that.

>Legendary Creature - Construct Warrior
Why is this not an artifact? Just cut Warrior.

>Borr gains
For how long?

So, is the idea to use Equipment and Auras to power him up? Or do you have something else in mind?

I'm hyped and paid no attention to the card ;_;
Will fix.

And yeah. The idea was a WUR Artifact aggro general, since there's both no WUR artifact oriented card, and no aggro colored artifact oriented card.

And he's basically Voltron, even in flavour.

so many obscure superheroes ;-;
I actually quite like that card. But that p/t is extremely offputting, and makes the card a bit too slow to make it playable. I'd go with 1UU and make it 2/1; even when you know I love pushing cards, the card as is is just not playable.

gay cyberpunk shit. Still less annoying than Royal Assassin.

You don't get to hex a monoblack card.
Give it protection from creatures, and that's some major bleed in itself; but flavour might make it okay for some people.

>Fixerino.

Hexproof is not monoblack's department

>And he's basically Voltron, even in flavour.
What is the flavor, exactly?

>so many obscure superheroes ;-;
It's like you're daring me to do all of those guys first. :D But I'm a big JSA (don't know what this is, do you?) fan, so I was probably gonna get around to most/all of them sooner or later. Speaking of...

>But that p/t is extremely offputting
Hmm. I guess I could do 2/1.

>mono-Black
>Hexproof
Ugh, Slyblade was one card. Make it UB. I do like the overall design though.

m15 disagrees

I knew you were going to point that out but that was an outside person that made the card. That's why the flavor says "Designed by Rob Pardo." Those cards are like PLC cards, can't be used to argue in favor of this or that in colorpie arguments.

That's pretty fair. Probably do 2UB then

Corrupting Essence is missing the enlightened clause, aside from that nice designs. Enlightened and more enchant-creatures seems like a good idea for a Return to Theros thing.

Fixed. Making sure that each enchantment creature, fits thematically as an enchantment.

I don't know if this is the right cost for this sort of effect or if this is even a wise sort of effect to make since it could be slow in play but...

Corrupted Ironleaf

Creature - Treefolk 2/2 BG (2)

{T}, Sacrifice ~: Choose one —

• Distribute two +1/+1 counters among one or two target creatures.

• Distribute two -1/-1 counters among one or two target creatures.

It's probably relevant to note that sets with both + and - counters in them generally aren't done for board-state-reading reasons (I don't recall if there have been exceptions) so mixing them on a single card doesn't usually make sense.

It's "diligence", not "diligance".

I like it

Deliciously simple, nice work, user

That's Wayne Reynolds' art. I could tell from the thumbnail.

Your multicolor cards are still pushed too hard.

>Your multicolor cards are still pushed too hard.
Which ones exactly?

VIGILANT threat that forces your opponent to take a big swing to the face or get his board wiped.
Vigilance being a big thing here, since if they take the swing out, you can just blow them out on their turn.
Those abilities are way too strong to be free. Those are 4 mana effects on a normal card.

Is *close* but needs to be at least five mana since it's COMPLETELY non-interactive and gets you card advantage and information about your opponent's deck.

This obviously needs to say 'the first instant or sorcery you cast each turn' but pretty much gives it Cascade.

This should be a Wizard.
Is a little pushed too. It's still a 2/4 for 3 with repeatable removal in a color that doesn't get it often.

This feels just a bit too good.
I'd suggest either changing the freeze to just a tap-down or to add (1) to the blink, but removing the freeze makes it mono-white.

Burning Skull Priest {B}{G}

Creature - Satyr Cleric 1/1

Whenever a creature deals combat damage to ~, regenerate it.

{B/G} : Target creature gains deathtouch until end of turn.

{B/G} {B/G} : Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

Ok

That second ability isn't remotely black, so a hybrid (or gold, for that matter) cost makes no sense.

Thoughts?

>Soldier
Yeah, kinda figured. I had a bit of creator's block on this one, but I know that these abilities are good, I just need to fine-tune the card.

>Ghost
OK. I'm wondering too if I should decrease his power. The toughness I would like to stay right where it is. Ghost (real name unknown) is VERY frail, on top of being in the 50-70 years old range.

>Strange
Right, I realized that right after I posted it. Just added a "from your hand" clause. So, no Flashback interaction, for example.

>Cyclone
Actually, no, she just dresses like a witch. Canonically, she's a fan of Wicked. She even has striped leggings, like the (dead) Wicked Witch's striped socks.

>Wildcat
Hmm, I was afraid of that. I'll probably just up the cost to 2GG. Oh, and if I change the ability to allow your creatures to Fight each other, would that affect the cost?

>Moonstone
I was just thinking that of upping the blink cost.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I just want to point out that, while most of these cards have balance problems, these designs are all relatively new.

If it get's hit in combat, it won't regenerate in time to save it. You need to word it like a replacement effect: "If ~ would be destroyed, regenerate it." See Cleric of the Holy Nimbus if you want that effect.

How about this then ?

>Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked, regenerate it.

Thoughts?

These abilities don't synergize.

In what way do they not? My intent is that you can deal two damage to something when you play an artifact. Does it not work this way?

Oh. For some reason, I thought it triggered on death.

It shouldn't need the "other" clause since it's damage won't happen prior to the ability going off.

I can't really think of a time i would ever rather see that made than just reprinting Seal of Doom.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to leave open dumb scenarios where the opponent casts Rakdos Charm in response to his ability or something and he performs a summary execution on himself, but I could leave that possibility open if it looks that bad.

Wow. Is is just a coincidence, or was that art made as a tribute to Memory Lapse?

>she just dresses like a witch
It's a 1/2 flyer that taps and unsummons creatures, one of which is an interaction with noncreature spells. None of that is Warrior shtick.

>Canonically, she's a fan of Wicked
And they got away with that?

You should be able to get away with this for five mana, maybe even four.

Also get MSE.

The templating is "gains [keyword]," so 'gains deathtouch.'
This isn't a Satyr or a Cleric, it's more like a Shade at this point. Or a Troll.

It's funny because you can alternately interpret from the mechanics that he's afraid of artifacts and shoots people when he runs away.

Yeah. I can see it.
Pretty nice draft common.

Really really good for a bear. Way too good.
Immediate 2-3of sideboard in tribal decks.

'Fun.'

>None of that is Warrior shtick.
Yeah, but she's not a Wizard. Actually, the creature type thing is kind of a pain for this set. I've yet to find a solution.

>And they got away with that?
I doubt anyone's going to sue a comic book publisher over a few references. It's not like they actually portrayed the play in the comic. And seriously, most people don't even know who the fuck Cyclone is, or what the JSA are. Speaking of...

>Citizen Steel
His gimmick is being part metal, and being tough as shit. Not really sure of how to cost him though.

8 is too steep, drop to at least 7.

I think he'd be better off with Absorb 3 or something.

You can't lose the game from mill this way.

Anna Fortune. Her gimmick was that she was the magic-user, but couldn't actually cast spells. What she did is that she made what are basically magical bullets that she could fire that would cast the spell for her. I know I'm going to want to do something with exiling spells with her for that reason, but I'm not so sure on the details. I'm already thinking of a version that "randomizes" spells. Like, you could exile 4, but then they get shuffled into a face-down pile, and you can cast copies of the revealed top card, but you always have to shuffle after. Not sure how I feel about that right now, but it would certainly be unique. If I did go down that route, I would want to restrict the cmc of the spells, since they're repeatable. Any suggestions as to what the max should be?

OK.

I'll have to think about it.

Seems kinda cheap for such an effect desu senpai.

It was gonna be more expensive/only go for two but I looked at Three Dreams and thought "cards already in your graveyard" was significantly more restrictive than "different auras." Could easily be wrong.
Also realized operating on enchantments you have on the field might simultaneously be more convenient and less exploitable. Probably going with that.

Searching the library seems more complicated than just returning them to hand. Also makes it useable in limited.

That's another reason I'm thinking having it choose enchantments you have in play makes a lot more sense. What do you think of that?

Are you really that concerned about untap abilities?

Yeah, all this really prevents is immediately having access to the mana, which is only very very slightly less broken.

A more balanced approach might be:

x comes in with a y counter. At the beginning of your upkeep, you may remove a y counter from x.

tap, put a y counter on x: add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool. Do this only if x has no y counters on it.

I don't believe I've made a moxen at any point.

Mox Carbuncle 0
Artifact
T: Add one mana of any color not matching a card in your graveyard to your mana pool.

Mox Porphyry 0
Artifact
T: Add one mana of any color to which your devotion is zero to your mana pool.

Both are broken! Wide open!

Translating from the constrained grammar of one card game to the constrained grammar of another interests me, and since I'm learning MtG and am reasonably familiar with Yu-Gi-Oh a friend challenged me to make some Yu-Gi-Oh cards into Magic cards.

I didn't know about MSE at the time and I'm too lazy to go compile it to remake one card, but this is the one I'm least unhappy with in terms of translating the effect of the original.

I also translated Lightning Bolt into Yu-Gi-Oh terms because said friend linked me a thread where Yu-Gi-Oh players who don't know Magic declared it worthless (I think because it seemed akin to Ookazi) and can post that if you'd like.

The issue with converting things in a design-coherent way here is converting things between Magic's mana costs and Yu-Gi-Oh's... tangle of resource management that I can only assume lies under the surface of their shenanigans.

Yeah, if I was putting it forward as a “real” Magic card I'd put a mana cost on it—the general concensus when I asked others for opinions was 4WW, but I didn't write down the reasoning.

The only difference between the card I posted and the Yu-Gi-Oh equivalent is the Yu-Gi-Oh equivalent has to sit on the field facedown for the duration of your opponent's precombat main step, where it can be targeted for destruction, whereas an instant is played from the hand. I thought that wasn't really worth trying to model without looking into the relative prevalence of hand destruction versus counterspelling.

I'm also interested in that kind of exchange
For a trap card, you could make it a creature with defender that can tap and sacrifice itself for the effect of the original card
Summoning sickness would replace the "wait 1 turn before activating" clause

>Yu-Gi-Oh's... tangle of resource management
I still have no idea how the YGO system works. As far as I can tell, everything's either 0, or needs you to sacrifice a number of creatures of varying specificity. And that retarded star system doesn't help either.

This feels blue. Red doesn't really bounce. The only case is the dash mechanic but that wasn't mono red, and it was a kinda cheese ability and the bounce was a downside.

I had an idea for a Legendary Thopter, it has two colorless abilities, one that gives it a +1/+1 counter and another that lets you bounce it back to your hand (this nets you a 1/1 Thopter token for each +1/+1/ counter on it though, so it's not all bad)

No idea what the cost would be though.

So... basically a reusable version of this, right?

Yes, but legendary. and it starts off tiny.

Sounds really slow. It would work in a control deck for value or in drafts I guess, but I feel like it would not see play out of a standard as we have better combos in everything else.
I guess if you could consistantly make 3+ thopters on, maybe 5, or 6 mana it would be playable.

Not what we were talking about, but I thought this design would be better because it can be made much faster.

>Why UR?
Commander. Given all the Thopter-making cards in Origins that are in those colors, and the upcoming Kaladesh block likely to give us more of them, I thought it would be a smart decision.

Maybe you've explained this before, I don't know, but why do you make the player reveal their entire hand? Why not just the black cards and the swamp cards?

I'm new to using MSE, but for some reason when I install a new set of templates it just shuts down and won't let me do things. Does anyone else have this problem?

Don't install MSE in any of the "Program Files" folders, install it somewhere else, then try using the template again.

GJ, you used more words and it's still just as broken.

This is just theorycrafting for a 'balanced mox.'
Nobody would use it over the existing rocks, and it just smacks of "no really guys, ONLY once per turn."

Never mind that untaps usually cost at least one mana.

It's fine, but the name literally means nothing.

The Future Sight border means he's trying to use the limited amount of extra design space from that block.
It does feel red because it's punishing that player for blocking.

That'd have to cost like 2WW pr 3WW.
See Angel of the Dire Hour and try to extract the cost, since there isn't actually a card that does this already.
You can just say "destroy all attacking creatures" or if you really want to constrain it "destroy all creatures that are attacking you."

>'balanced mox.'
What about Chrome, Diamond, and Opal?

>Toll
I hate the name.
>Options
You can say 'each player Scrys 1'
>Deterioration
A little boring.
>Chaos
Anti-fun.
>what the fuck is 'abiogenesis'
>Oblivion
This is a white card.
This literally is two white enchantments at the same time.

(2), if it's a 1/1 flying. MAYBE even 1/2 or 1/3 if you want to push it, since on the whole it's not too strong.
Then just have each of the abilities be tap abilities.

I feel like this is in a good place, but maybe a bit too good for a common.
If you're not making a draft format you can ignore this, but Attunement feels like a draft keyword.

This seems OK, but I feel like the triggered ability is just a litttle hard to get consistently without having to use mediocre draft commons.

>sweating man.jpg

Chrome and diamond cost you card advantage. Chrome is a bit more restrictive.
Opal only ever works like a normal moxen in certain decks. It being legendary is actually pretty relevant.

I did that, it works fine but then when I try to add templates it completely stops working. That was how I fix the problem, but when I fix the problem my PW templates break and only have two loyalty options.

>toll
fair. How about Penance?
>Make it scry 1
but then each player won't know what the other got.
>Deterioration
well anything cooler in black would be too big on a leyline.
>Chaos
xD so randumb is most fun tho. I was thinking of making it all creatures have haste and have to attack.
>What is Abiogenesis"
Life coming from nothing, or simply appearing out of no where. It is an old and discarded theory of creation of life.
>Oblivion
Most colorless spells kinda break the color pie. Spacial contortion is a colorless version of a few UB battle tricks like warped physique. The color hate is what makes it colorless. Sense when did white enable you to tap all your lands for colorless?
>Bring below
Fair I'll consider shifting it once I have more of the removal down.

You misread it. You chose how many you reveal. Any number can be 0 or 3. The flexibility is because I used to have a mechanic based around cards getting revealed letting them do a thing, but I scrapped it.

Oh. Still don't understand why it lets you reveal nonblack, nonswamp cards though.

>Penance?
I'd look at the other cards that increase creature cost and try to get a theme out of them.
>but then each player won't know what the other got.
If that's what you're gong for, then it's fine.
>well anything cooler in black would be too big on a leyline.
I think there are already really big effects on leylines.
>xD so randumb is most fun tho
It's really not. Have you ever played a game with one of those effects out? Or Scrambleverse?
>Life coming from nothing, or simply appearing out of no where. It is an old and discarded theory of creation of life.
Oh, they made up a name for spontaneous generation?
>Most colorless spells kinda break the color pie. Spacial contortion is a colorless version of a few UB battle tricks like warped physique. The color hate is what makes it colorless. Sense when did white enable you to tap all your lands for colorless?
There isn't an enchantment that hits All nonwhite creatures, but white still does that for all opponent's creatures. I think it can be considered a colorshifted version of the effect.
Celestial Dawn fixes all your mana to white.

As an Atheist, I am appalled by how defines the term "abiogenesis" which is distinct from spontaneous generation. Abiogenesis is the natural process by which life originates from non-living matter. This isn't talking about things just appearing out of the air, it's talking about the beginning of life in a system with no previous living matter. It is also distinct from evolution. Logic dictates that it would have had to occur somewhere down the line, so it's not even speculative. In short, abiogenesis and spontaneous generation are nothing alike.

>It's fine, but the name literally means nothing.
Xom = Mox backwards
Quern = Primitive Millstone

Just add a line: "If Skyline Marksman is tapped, it loses hexproof"

I could see black having hexproof but it loses it when it comes out of the shadows, like has it.

This would be busted in modern.

Shoals are hard and I'm not entirely satisfied with any of them, but here they are. Also only now realized that they're all part blue.