Wild Talents

A buddy of mine is the Dark Knight Rises Bane of gamers.
>"I was born on the tabletop, molded by it."
In that both his parents are hardcore fuckin' gamers and he's been playing for awhile.

His dad recently brought up a new-ish system called Wild Talents.

I have the PDF for the "Essential Edition" open right now, and I figured while I'm reading through it, I'll throw up blurbs here along with my own thoughts/commentary on the system as I'm going through it. This way, people who've played the system can throw in there own two cents, and those who haven't played or haven't heard of it before can make their own decisions on the matter.

So, train's leaving the station, lets blow the fuckin' whistle!

Other urls found in this thread:

gundam.wikia.com/wiki/MS-06F_Zaku_II
mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgundam/ms-06f.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=IWf8Q8kZHyw
youtube.com/watch?v=DjsyjAbHnS0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So far, nothing too hard to understand.

One Roll Engine, (Only one roll of the dice for anything/everything)
Need a bucket of d10's.

Stats are Body, Coordination, Sense, Mind, Charm, and Command
>Aka, STR and CON, DEX, Perception/WIS, INT, CHA, and CHA-Lite.

Dice pools for Skills and Stats go from 1-10 Dice, with 1-5 Dice in a stat/skill being the "Human" level of an ability, and 6-10 being Superhuman levels
>"Hyperstats and Hyperskills"
>....really?....just really?

So a guy with 10 Dice in Coordination and 10 Dice in a Coord skill, (Lets say driving for shits and giggles) could do a burn out with a garbage truck and park it on the wing of a 747 in mid-flight.

Also, Will and Willpower are this systems Fate Points, and your base/starting amount = your Charm+Command Stats, but can be improved from there.

Passions and Loyaltys, your characters internal motivation versus their external motivation. Each motivation get's a number rating and you divide your base Will score between them. You follow your Loyalty or Passion, Bravo, here's a cookie (Will point). You fuck up, you go sit in the quiet corner with no cookies. (Lose WP dependent on motivation)

Can only have 1 Loyalty or 1 Passion.

Oh, so I can't claim to be a member of a fairly high end military-police corp and a ruthless criminal organization at the same time?
>Just got done reading the Shadowrun Storytime.
>That Guy, codenamed Trout: My Character worked for LoneStar and the Yakuza!
>fucking idiot.

Hmm, "Talents" Can refer to the superhumans who are chucking lightning bolts, or the superpowers they're using as a whole.
>The Talent is Talenting all over the Talents Talent?
And some powers are called Miracles, which are the powers that are 100% Weapons Grade "HAX!!!"
>Personal idea, Tien's Chi Ko Ho would be a Miracle because it's powerful enough to break the laws of fucking Geometry.

Huh, so any Superpowers you have are NOT added to the Stat+Skill pool for doing things.

So if I've got the super-strength TALENT and it's at 10 Dice and my Body stat is at 10, then I'd just be rolling 10 for the Talent instead of 20 for both...hmm...

Super-strength should add to your dice pool unless you've built that talent really weirdly. The simplest way to do it is just have it be a Hyperstat. It's just that your dice pool can never go higher than ten dice, because with the dice-matching system the One Roll Engine uses, that would make for guaranteed success. Dice over the limit are instead used to pay off penalties. So if you had twenty dice in your pool, you could take ten dice worth of penalties and still perform at maximum capabilities. If you do want guaranteed success, buy some Hard Dice or Wiggle Dice as Hyperstats or Hyperskills, and maybe throw on some extras for good measure. Body Hyperstats go very well with Booster or No Upper Limit.

Base Will is also a useful tool for measuring the resolve of enemies. Enemies with low base will are more likely to retreat when you've proven yourself stronger than they are. The way I've typcally done it is that a character will generally give up if they sustain damage equal to their Base Will, unless they have some personal reason for staying in the fight (i.e. a Passion or Loyalty).

I've been playing a WT campaign for about two years now, so I know the system like the back of my hand. It's not perfect and super exploitable (by design), but the author encourages open communication between the GM and players to limit that from happening, and gives suggestions for GMs to use to deal with power gaming. It's also super fun and a great introduction to the One Roll Engine, which is used for some awesome games.

Is that necessary? For most people by the time they've taken damage equal to their Base Will they're either unconscious or have a broken limb. Seems like you wouldn't need a rule for that, it would just be common sense that they're out of the fight at that point.

Okay, so the Dice pools are based on "Matching Sets" Rather than WoD rules where it's "Get higher than 7 to succeed" The more numbers you match, and the higher those numbers you're matching, the better off you are.
>Example in the book involves an Alien Hero hitting someone with his Katana and I IMMEDIATELY want to subtract points for Weeaboo-ness now...
But interesting bit in that example is that "The Stat that governs hitting this is Body."

Okay, so the Body stat is your Attack Bonus, good to know. (Does that apply to just melee or shooting too?)

Going through Cardinal rules, fairly boilerplate with "Don't roll for stupid or inconsequential bullshit." (I.E. Tying your shoelaces or playing a game of chess IC with another player)

Oh, wait a minute? "NEVER ROLL MORE THAN 10 DICE" is a rule here!

But...if you can combine Stats and Skills for things like driving, wouldn't that mean you need to roll 10 Dice in one of them? Hang on...
>It’s entirely possible to have more than 10 dice in a pool. If you have 9 dice in Driving and 5 dice in Coordination, you have a 14d Driving dice pool. If you lose dice for some reason, they come off those 14 dice. But you can’t actually roll more than 10.

I see, the extra dice are for the whole, "Road is slick, -2 to your dice pool" shenanigans.

On a side note, I guessed what the related stat to Driving was!
>Smarter than the average monkey on crack!
Addendum to the 10 dice pool limit, is that superhumans get Hard Dice and Wiggle Dice (They don't say what those are at the moment)

Cardinal rule 3: ALWAYS ROUND DOWN FUCKER!

Not at all, it's a total house rule but it's a way to represent tenacity in a mechanical fashion. And as I said, it's a helpful metric for opponents who aren't invested in fighting you to the end-- like a guy in a barroom brawl or a petty street thief. Going toe-to-toe against your arch nemesis, he won't give until his body does most likely.

Body is used for melee combat, Coordination for ranged combat, but when you're dealing with super-heroes, generally speaking you'll be rolling the dice pools for their Powers when attacking. This isn't universal but it's common.

Oh, and the reason for the "Talents" thing is that in the core setting, which isn't included in the Essentials Book, super-humans are called Talents. Don't worry about it for this book though, since for the most part they're very distinct in what they're talking about most of the time.

Just got that bit down. Gratzie though!
Ugghhhh...that is something I'm tangentially aware of, as my buddy who's OG nerd was hyping up the system said, AND I QUOTE
>"You could totally make a hero who's sole power is to halt any fusion reactions he wants."
>"Stop robbing that bank or I will turn off the Sun!"
...needless to say, his first gaming system was Exalted and Jesus Christ does it show...

Alright how do dice rolls "Succeed" in this game. The success is measured by Height and Width.
>That's what she said!
>*SMACK*
>OW!
Height is the Quality, and Width is the speed.
>Shouldn't Width be more important-
>*Sound of a shotgun cocking*
>...shutting up
Height and Width are based on the dice you matched. H= The number on the dice (6's are better than 3's) and Width is based on how many matches you made. (4 of a kind is better than a pair).
Height determines the Quality of your success. (So if you're trying to be precise, Height determines whether you got a Meat Cleaver or a Scalpel) and Width is also how much damage your attack will do...oh dear god, HERE we go.
>Need a "IMMA FIRING MY LASER" Pic now...
Anyway, the shorthand for rolls is (Width)x(Height), so 3x10, 2x2, 5x4, etc

Oh...oh dear god, this is where the shit get's broke as hell, ain't it?
>The size of your dice pool is what determines the Power/Reach/Impact of your powers effects. 9d Flight will always be faster than 5d Flight, no matter how well the roll.
Why didn't the guy making that DBZ Tabletop game use THIS for his system? Cause seriously, this sounds like the potential for OP is getting pretty high up there ATM.

Thanks for the clarification on the To-hit stat, and I knew that on the Talents terminology weirdness. I just liked playing with the words a bit.
>The Talented Talent Talented to the Talent-I'll shut up now.
Huh...Kinda feel like I'm missing something here.
Loose dice are the dice which don't match up and even they can come in handy under certain circumstances.
If a job is easy enough, take a look at the highest dice you rolled, whether it has a match or not, and that's your Height. If it beats the DC, then it succeeds with an automatic Width of 1.

....Sooo....if I roll 10 dice and by some moment of the Goddess Arenji saying "FUCK THIS NIGGER!" and I don't get a SINGLE match...then I can still claim success by picking up one of the dice (The 10 probably) and just claiming the Width is one?

I mean, it says for "Easy Tasks and the example is "Fixing a car in 3 days when you're in your own garage with all the tools you need"

Oh wait: DM allows for a Loose Roll...Okay I see it now. The Guy can basically just say "You don't need to get matches for this one, just go for it and I'll take it."

I suddenly love this game so fucking much, cause I am the Reverse Bane Johns (Look up All guardsman Party) for our group and the Goddess Arenji fucking hates my guts.

Oh but they still allow for "Botched Rolls" and thus I'm still gonna get fucked raw with now lube.
>"If your Roll fails and all your Loose Dice are 5 or less, then your performance was particularly substandard: Slip and fall, gun jams, drop a power hammer on your foot...

...okay, I'm sorry but I just pictured Thor accidentally dropping Mjollnir on his foot and now I"m laughing my ass off.
>SON OF A FROST GIANTS ASSHOLE, OW!!!

>Shouldn't Width be more important-
In Combat at least, it's definitely the more important aspect.

For Width vs Height, Height isn't treated as quality so much as finesse. In other ORE games it's spelled out explicitly that for certain Skills, either Width or Height flatly doesn't really matter. For instances, if you use Athletics for running it really doesn't matter who has better form (Height), but rather who is faster (Width).

One thing you should note is that Wild Talents is actually kind of a middle-aged version of the One Roll Engine. I think it's basically the second game that uses it (or Third, since it's basically an evolution of a WWII-era Superhero game called Godlike).

I don't think anyone actually uses the botch rules. I mean, that's not an excuse for a bad rule to be in the game, but there's nothing holding you to it.

Alright, so width determines time, but that doesn't necessarily mean a 6 second round of combat. There is a sliding scale that goes from
Round
Minute
10 Minutes
Hour
Day
Week
Month
Year
Decade
Century.

DM discretion: He'll set up a time scale for a task and you subtract the Width of your successful roll from 5 to determine how long it takes to finish your task. Example in the book.
>DM: Fixing a car, I'll say that's hours
>Player rolls 2x3 on Knowledge (Mechanics)
>5-2=3
>DM: Okay, it'll take you three hours to fix your car.
So a Yahtzee equals Instant completion for a thing, even if the DM set up a time scale for centuries. SO much potential for hilarity.
>You have gathered all the ingredients for the demon summoning ritual, but it will take decades of work to make sure the sigils are aligned
>Player rolls 5x10 out of a Dice Pool of 10
>DM:....Good news, you instantaneously summoned Cthulhu.

Huh, what would the result be if that had a Height of 1? I mean, The DP is the power and the Width is instantaneous, so what would be a "Low Quality" Success on an instantaneous Maximum power demon summoning ritual?

I'm thinking quality in this case would mean how much control the summoner had over the demon. In which case, you're gonna end up a chicken mcgnugget for the Elder God you just summoned to the material plane.

OP needs to take his Nephew to class, BRB in a bit.

Second. Godlike was first, then Wild Talents, then it got refined into a bunch of other games.

Actually the rules prevent instantaneous success:

>No matter how wide you roll, a task always takes at least one unit of time. If you get a width of five or wider, the job still takes one day, hour, minute, or round.

>Huh, what would the result be if that had a Height of 1?
That really depends on whether Height matters for a task, which is generally the case if there's a Difficulty in play, which is in the next section of the book.

This might pertain to Wild Talents, but mostly deals with O.R.E in general.

What would be a good method for generating individual parts for mechs? I know there's already a mecha spin-off, but I'd like to try something different.

Can you elaborate? What's your objective here?

I found ORE Mecha to be too complicated myself, which is saying a lot given how the DIY superpowers in WTs work.

Basically, I love battletech and I love armored core and I'd love to run a game that bridges the both of them, namely with the feel of battletech but the modular construction of armored core.

Might be asking a bit too much, but having a ruleset to generate mech parts would be fantastic.

So are you looking for random part generation, or are you looking for mecha generation rules?

Individual part generation to generate a mech when put together.

Hmmm interesting.

Well I can say off the bat that there's no existing rules for that in any published ORE product. I know there's a poster in the Game Design General thread that posts about a ORE-Battletech style game when that thread's up, and I post there as a SpaceOperaman since I've been working on a sci-fi supplement for REIGN, another ORE game with much more advanced rules than Wild Talents.

To that end I have rules set-up for creating spacecraft, where you create them with their own hit locations, with each location having Systems that perform different functions. It could be adapted pretty easily for mechs, and is designed to be fairly crunchy, which would work nicely for Battletech.

Ooh, many thanks, user. I'll definitely take a peek through that.

The central idea of "Draw your ship, point to parts that do stuff" comes from an ORE game called Monsters and Other Childish Things. You might want to check that out to see the source of that concept, if you want to adapt from the root instead of my offshoot.

>new-ish

Wild Talents came out like a decade ago.

My dad regales me with tales of 80s Battletech, Warhammer, and DnD

>He had a friend who would constantly interrupt the game constantly to smoke weed

Sounds like somethings never change because my friends do that too

Thanks again! I will clarify a bit, though, as what I said before wasn't all that descriptive.

In armored core you have a bunch of different parts (head, torso, legs, arms, etc.) that all make up your mech. Parts can be switched out easily and often, which is what I'm trying to emulate.

What O.R.E. mecha does is have you create the mech as a whole unit. There's no individual bits that can be replaced or modified once creation is done.

>Being friends with stoners

Underage detected

That's not too difficult then. Build your mech like a human wound silhouette with the same hit locations, then come up with systems and functions that can be associated with parts in each location.

The main thing you'll need to work on is figuring out unique abilities for different parts. The one thing that ORE doesn't have going for it, which can be either an asset or a detriment, is a lack of stats and substats, which makes character creation and dice rolling simple but means it may not have as much crunch as some people would like. There's not a ton of granularity-- adding +1d to a dice pool can have a sizable impact, and adding +1 Damage or +1 Armor can swing the momentum of battle in pretty wild directions.

You'd need to workshop what you're doing and do a fair amount of testing, but conceptually it's simple.

Since I'm a moron and this seems the best place to ask, how would you stat a person whose every part is completely immovable without conscious action? As in all force directed to him is completely reflected without even bending a hair on his skin, a train would crumple around him and disintegrate if he were to be standing on the track etc.

Ha I think I remember this question from a previous Supers thread, because it was so specific. It's also not a terrifically moronic question, since that's a fairly complex power in terms of Wild Talents.

Here's how that power would work in WT I think:

It has two Qualities: Defends Self and Attacks Mass. You want 10 Hard Dice in the Skill to get the most out of it.

For the Defense Self, use the following Extras and Flaws:

-Armored Defense
+Heavy Armor
+Ignores Physics
+Always On

That means whenever something tries to hit you, your Power responds by granting you the equivalent of HAR 10 and ignoring the whole "Equal/Opposite Reaction" part of being struck. That's enough to totally cancel the damage from any kind of physical attack. You can add If/Then (only counts for kinetic impacts) to lower the cost, so you can still be hurt by fire or lasers or whatever.

For the Attacks Mass Quality, I'd use the following Extras and Flaws:

+Always On
+Disintegrate
+Penetration
+Variable Effect
-If/then (Variable Effect relative to speed of incoming object)
-If/then (Damage applies to locations striking you)

This combination of powers uses the Variable Effect extra to basically mete out the dice you can use as Attacks equal to the speed of the thing attacking you. You'd need to work out some kind of chart, but basically if you're hit by something moving at, like, less than 10 mph you would do only 1d in damage (so 1 Shock/Kill), whereas something going like 120 mph or greater would do all 10.

Disintegrate means that if something hits you hard enough to fill its location with damage, that location shatters, like the train in your example.

You also should put, like at least 5 points in Penetration, maybe more.

That's how I'd do it, of course. What kind of character is supposed to have a power like this anyway?

all my non degenerate friends went and joined the military or aren't into Veeky Forums things

feels bad

you do remember it, because it was me; I lost the saved file and the campaign starts in a few days. Never expected to use the character so I didn't take too much care in remembering it or in saving the power in a sensible place. Thanks again user.

As for the character, he's a super'd merc out to make a hell of a lot of money then retire, forever. He's got a side-job in protecting any innocents he sees being wronged and has a nagging feeling that he's not using his powers the way he ought to, as a short description.

The full version of Wild Talents is worth reading even if you don't plan on playing the game. So great advice in world building and general gming

Yeah, it's got a really nice system for creating your own alternate supers-history. Like, it actually codifies what kind of impact superhumans have on events, and how the world on the whole views them. It's so cool and is something that I'm trying to twist for my SF game into a system to help GMs create their own space settings.

Ah, good to have some context.

What I wrote is definitely the rules for creating a character with those powers. Giving him 10 HD in that power is the best way to do "Is literally unmovable, even if an asteroid lands on him". If you want to make his powers less almighty, replacing them with regular dice are an option.

I really like the way HD function - the idea of full power, all the time, seems like it could have interesting story implications. Never played with WT, so I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

And I find approaching typical powers/skills/etc in a different direction interesting, even if it sometimes more often than I'd like comes off as gimmicky - in this case the invulnerability power common on lots of capes taken to an extreme.

My personal opinion and experience with WT is that HD should be used judiciously, OR they should be used freely but they should be coupled with a way of confronting characters with the consequences of their own power. Such as introducing the Trauma system from Nemesis/Unknown Armies. That way "Full Power, All the Time" can have genuine drawbacks that can haunt the characters.

OP back
>Nephew became lawn mowing became family counseling
>don't ask...

Exactly, it seem an interesting mechanic and I'm glad it's present. Very few games every really seem to think about the consequences of weiding vast and unstoppable power, and the effect that may have on people, even if it isn't that well expressed in the system at base.

Unfortunately, vanilla WT doesn't go quite that far. It has Stability Checks, but they're fairly toothless compared with the Nemesis/UA trauma system.

WT has rules to play both gritty, Watchmen style action and bright, four color action where nobody dies, but it takes a little imagination to push the former to its logical conclusion.

Alright Hard Dice and Wiggle Dice, dafuq is this shit.
Hard Dice (Abbreviated hd) are Dice which are always considered a 10. You get at least two of those, you're guaranteed to dramatically succeed at a thing.

Ohh...here we go with the "Imma Rape the Difficulty Curve" shenanigans.
>Downsides to hd is that they are inflexible. A heat ray is always as deadly as possible, a super pilot will always fly as straight and fast as possible-
OBVIOUSLY if someone's got a couple of HD in something, they aren't going to be too worried about versatility, chummer! Good lord, why would you even put up a warning like that?

>wiggle dice are like Wild cards in poker, where you choose whatever number you want.
>A pool with a single wiggle dice is guaranteed to succeed
>A pool with two wiggle dice is guaranteed to succeed at whatever level you please.

That's broken, but at a MUCH lower capacity for "Lawl, I nuked an Orphanage!" shenanigans.

Oh hey, optional rules

Expert Dice (ed): Instead of using Hard Dice's always 10, you can call the number when you role, but you can't make 2 or more ed the same number. In order to succeed, you have to match the expert dice with a regular, hard, or wiggle dice.
>So, kinda like wiggle dice, but there's still a chance for a fuck up.
Fixed Dice (fd): Choose the dices result at Character creation, and it will ALWAYS roll that number, which can be any number between 1 and 10, rather than a HD 10. As a GM you can tell your players that any HD have to be any number BESIDES 10, if you choose.
>On the one hand, dick move. On the other hand, would help limit the "Lawl I win at evverythin'!!!" douchebags, but that's just my interpretation.

looking forward to your commentary on the section on building custom powers. shit's esoteric

The trick with hd isn't so much that they're always 10 as they are that they always succeed. WT uses that to create passive powers. Since powers are measured in dice, having hd means you don't have to roll them for them to work.

Having hd in attacks is rarely a good idea, because remember, you're playing a superhero game, and most superhero games don't encourage casual murder. A power with at least 2hd will always get headshots-- you can't even control it to not get a headshot.

Squishy Dice: Take a regular dice, and then finagle the result by subtracting the width from the height in whatever way you choose.
Example: Rolled a 4x4, squish it into a 5x3, 2x6 or a 7x1.
LIMITATIONS: Only used with Regular dice, only usable once per round, and cannot be squished above a height of 10 or a Width of 2.
Huh, little typo in the Book here.
>"Once you squish a roll, the other dice in the pool are thrown out. You can't"
And the next bit doesn't have anything to match up with the "you can't" Ah well, no skin off my dick.

Next are the DC ratings, pretty simple and dependent on height more than anything else. The caveat for a roll being necessary at all is that "Even a Well-trained person has only a 50% chance at succeeding" looks like the Height requirements are at odd intervals, with 1 being challenging, and 9 being Nearly impossible.

Ahh, HERE comes the balance to this stuff. Penalty dice are taken out of your dice pool before you roll, and the FIRST DICE taken out due to penalty's are the Hard Dice.
>Sweet sweet balance.
Then the regular dice, then the Wiggle dice.

Then you have gobble dice, which are like the Penalty Dice, but are GM fiat and remove a die from your highest rolled set. The idea is that your GM decides your action is most certainly going to fail, but success is possible if you have miraculous luck.
>SAVE ME ARENJI!
Or have superhuman prowess
>Multiple Hard or Wiggle dice.
Wow, this can lead to some absolutely dickish DM That Guy possibilities...just arbitraritly declare:
>"What you're doing is almost impossible, so even though your dice pool is 2, and you got 2x10, I'm gonna gobble the 10 and say you failed."

Look me dead in the eye and tell me that NONE of you can think of a That Guy who would pull that exact fucking horseshit.
>You can't.

>Then you have gobble dice, which are like the Penalty Dice, but are GM fiat and remove a die from your highest rolled set.
Ah, so you're American.

STR and CON 1 stat? Fuck that,

Oh undoubtedly! Should be fun trying to custom build a PC I've got bouncing around in my head for this or a variety of other Superhero systems.
Ahh, THAT makes sense, like Supermans invulnerability or Wolverines healing factor.
Oh, found the contuation of the "you can't" for the squishy dice!.
>Two columns per page, ends on one page lower left column, continues next page in upper-right column. Who designed that layout?
Cannot squish a set of dice and then add that to some loose dice to make a Mega set.
>Obligatory Power Rangers joke.

Added optional rule for Hard and Wiggle dice if players have way too many of either: Have their opponents own WD and HD cancel each other out, and turn them into Normal dice.

Adaptable Dice: Roll a success, spend a willpower point to change the height to the number of the highest loose die in your roll.

Hmm...getting a little bored at the moment. I'mma skip ahead until something catches my attention, like the powers. 2 seconds.

Fail to see where you inferred that from.
Two types of Damage, Shock (Disabling) and Killing (Duh) Both abbreviated as S and K
>Waiting to see if there's anything about "Using a non-lethal skill in a lethal way at a penalty, or vice versa"
An attack roll's height determines Hit location.
>So said above with 10 equaling a Headshot.

ALRIGHT character building, here we go...
Start off with points and use those to buy the Dice for your powers, Stats and Skills. Rule of thumb, Hard dice are double the Point cost of regular dice, and Wiggle dice are double the cost of Hard dice.
Stats: Rd=5, Hd=10, Wd=20
Skills: Rd=2, HD=4, WD=8
Powers: Varies.

Archetypes, boiler-plate "What are you?" for the setting, with the examples in the book being Super-Normal, Alien and Mystic.
>For my hypothetical character, I'm thinking Mystic will be the easiest to swallow ATM, until I get more familiar and can run a custom Archetype.

Kay, Hyperstats, Hyperskills and Miracles.
>I'm sorry, I'm never gonna take those names seriously.
The Hyper stuff are simply "Human stuff that's been exaggerated/enhanced" while the Miracles are the 'Laser eyes', 'Turn Invisible' and bonafide "Rape the laws of physics" superpowers.

And the usual "Get extras and flaws to cheapen the cost of Miracles" from most systems, though the cost of Hyperstats/Skills are ALWAYS the same.

And then there are custom-
..."Gourmet" miracles, as opposed to standard, "cafeteria-style" miracles.
Good lord, they did not want this to be taken seriously did they? I think I'm gonna like this game.

Huh...Hyper Stats and Hyperskills are cheaper than regular stats and Skills, but I can see the logic behind why they did that.
>HyperStat: RD=4, HD=8, WD=16
The example given was "You have a body of 2r, while your HyperStat is 8. This means you LOOK like the average schmuck, but can bench press a bulldozer. If something comes up that negates superpowers, all you have left is the 2 in your Body.

Buying up willpower and increasing your Base Will costs 3 points for BW, and:
>"Whatever points are left over after building your character are added directly to your willpower score."

Okay...so if my Charm and Command starts me off with a WB of 5, and I spend 12 points to get that WB to a 9, then I'll start the game with a 5/9 Willpower. And if there are any points left over from character gen (Lets say 3) then that becomes 8/9 Willpower.

Alright, I can dig it.

Dividing the power levels for certain games from Gritty, to Cinematic to Four-color (AKA when Superman had ANY power, but only ONCE), the starting points for games is
Normal Humans: 40 to 100
Exceptional Human: 100 to 200
Powerful Superhuman: 200 to 500
Earth-Shaking entity: 500 to 750
Galactic Entity: 750 to 1000
Universal Entity: 1000 to 2000

And then fluffy description of "outline where your players should be putting their points depending on the kind of game your playing, depending on how many fucks you give about that kind of thing.

For shits and Giggles...I'mma start off at the recommended 250 and see where we can go with that.

Setting devised? "The world as we know it is changing in a supernatural way, and those changes are going to become more apparent VERY quickly. The players roles will be to ease the transition of what's happening, or try to take advantage of the chaos to their own ends."

I hope this thread sticks around until tomorrow, since I have to go for this evening.

>Good lord, they did not want this to be taken seriously did they? I think I'm gonna like this game.

Have you ever read any other games written by Greg Stolze? Wild Talents is kind of a by-committee project but it's still got his DNA all over it, especially in terms of its writing style.

Kay, charts charts charts for your Body dice and what it means.

Having 1d in body means
You're maximum lift/carry weight is 50lbs, and when carrying that, you can only move 2 yards per round. half of that means you can move at 1/4 your maximum Sprint speed (For Body 1, that's 8 yards, so 1/2 weight would...still be 2 yards lol) And 1/4 your maximum lift means you can run at half your maximum speed (4 yards in this case).

WOW but having 1d in body make you a pansy!

For shits and giggles, I'm gonna go with 5d for my hypothetical character (3 normal, 2 Hyper) Cause at a certain threshold, your Body Dice determine whether your attacks are Shocking Damage or Killing Damage. (Or both) And a Body of 5d is the limit before you start taking people's heads off with Killing punches.

Points spent, 15+8 for 23 out of 250

And more when I return, as THE BEAST HUNGERS!
>lunch break.

> And a Body of 5d is the limit before you start taking people's heads off with Killing punches.

You could make a habit of pulling your punches with the careful attack maneuver (drop one die; Careful attack: If your attack ordinarily does Killing damage, inflict Shock instead.).

Took a look at your Starship building method, and it's basically what I was looking for, if altered a tiny bit. Mind if I grab it for my own nefarious purposes?

Go right ahead.

It's also worth noting, as you may not be there yet or may have overlooked it, that once a location is filled with Shock, any additional Shock becomes Killing. So a very determined person can eventually turn another person's head into pulp even with less than 5d in Body.

"Jack Murderbane" aka Lonnie Huff

Source: Unknown (-5pts)
Permission: Power Theme (Action Movie Hero) 5pts

Stats (60pts)
Body 2D(4D) Coordination 2D(6D) Sense 2D(3D/6D)
Mind 2D(3D) Charm 2D(3D) Command 2D(3D)
Base Will 6 - Willpower 6

Skills (10pts)
Video Store Clerk 2D

Powers (181pts)

- Hard Case (60pts) -

Dangerous 10D (A+1; 6pts per die; 60pts)
Attacks Extras and Flaws: Attacks +1, Augment +4, Go First +1, If/Then (must announce in the declare phase) -1, If/Then (only for Augment) -1. Capacities: N/A.
Effect: +1 damage and +1 initiative to any attack it is declared for, even if that attack would ordinarily deal no damage (ie. spitting a toothpick at someone).

- Tough Guy (48pts) -

Hyperbody +2D (4pts per die; 8pts)

Extra Tough 2HD (U; 5pts per die; 20pts)
Useful Extras and Flaws: Engulf +2, Permanent +4, Self-Only -3. Capacities: Self.
Effect: +2 hit boxes on every location.

Plot Armor (Light Armor) 2HD (D; 4pts per die; 16pts)
Defends Extras and Flaws: Armored Defence -2, Permanent +4. Capacities: Self.
Effect: 2 LAR.

It Just Grazed Me (Regeneration) 2HD (U; 1pt per dice; 4pts)
Useful Extras and Flaws: Subtle +1, Permanent +4, Delayed Effect -2, If/Then (will not heal the last point of shock) -1, Self-Only -3. Capacities Self.
Effect: A hand-wavy healing power that allows for injuries to turn out to not have been as severe after a fight - given time.

- Hyper-Competence (54pts) -

Action Hero (Occupational Hyperskill) +2D+1WD (4pts per die; 24pts)

Hypercoordination +4D (4pts per die; 16pts)

Combat Intuition (Hypersense) +2D (3pts per die; 6pts)
Extras and Flaws: If/Then (only for declaration order and detecting imminent danger) -1.

Fluid Grace 2HD (U; 2per die; 8pts)
Useful Extras and Flaws: Permanent +4, Self-Only -3, If/Then (only mitigates penalty dice for taking multiple actions) -1. Capacities: Self.
Effect: Ignores up to two penalty dice from taking multiple actions.

- A Cut Above (16pts) -

Hyper -Sense, -Mind, -Command, -Charm +1D (16pts)

Wade Sanders - The Invincible Accountant

Source: Unknown (-5)
Permission: Power Theme: Invincible (5)

Stats (60pts)
Body 2D Coordination 2D Sense 2D
Mind 2D Command 2D Charm 2D
Base Will 4 - Willpower 4

Skills (38pts)
Athletics 2D, Driving (Car) 1D, Empathy 2D, Perception 2D, Scrutiny 2D, Knowledge (Finance & Taxation) 3D, Language (Spanish) 1D, Navigation 2D, Research 2D, Persuasion 1D, Lie 1D

Powers (152pts)
Invincible 2HD (D+8 D+3 U; 32pts per die; 128pts)
Defends (HAR) Extras & Flaws: Always On -1, Defends +8, Interference +3, Native Power +1, Permanent +4. Capacity: Self.
Defends (LAR) Extras & Flaws: Always On -1, Armored Defence -2, Defends +3, Hardened Defence +2, Native Power +1, Permanent +4. Capacity: Self.
Useful Extras & Flaws: Native Power +1, Permanent +4, Self-Only -3, Variable Effect +4. Capacity: Self.
Effect: Gobbles 10 width from attacks and provides 5 hardened LAR. 2HD of immunity to everything else.

Regeneration 2HD (U; 4pts per die; 16pts)
Useful Extras & Flaws: Engulf +2, Native Power +1, Permanent +4, Self-Only -3, Slow -2. Capacity: Self.
Effect: Heals 2SK to all hit locations every other round.

Hyperbrawling +4D (A+2; 1pt per die; 4pts)
Extras & Flaws: Attached (Invincible) -2, Attacks +2.
Effect: Being able to throw punches with sufficient force with to otherwise break the bones in your hand and having no concern about the other guy hitting you has its advantages (+4D to Brawling attacks, which do WS+2 damage).

Hyperstability +4D (1pt per die; 4pts)

bumping this for tomorrow

This seems like the appropriate thread

I'm trying to stat up a Zaku II from Gundam 0079 in ORE Mecha which using Wild Talents a bunch and I'm still relatively new to the system in general

What would you stat up its thrusters as? they can't really fly on earth

> What would you stat up its thrusters as? they can't really fly on earth

Not super familiar with the relevant speed or anything but the base Flight miracle with an If/Then (not in atmosphere) flaw on it should do the trick. Got any specs on the other characteristics of the thrusters?

gundam.wikia.com/wiki/MS-06F_Zaku_II

mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgundam/ms-06f.htm

Wild Talents 25 Point Powersets

SEMI-SUPERMAN
Thanks to the boost given to you by an emerging psionic capacity you're a cut-rate man-of-steel. You have super strength (about twice that of the average man), the ability to fly (somewhat clumsily at ~20MPH) and invulnerability (equivalent to a light bulletproof vest). You also have a potentially deadly allergy that can sap all your powers.
Source/s: Psi (0pts)
Permissions: Power Theme - Flying Brick (5pts)
Intrinsic/s: Uncommon Allergy (, Drains Willpower) (-8pts)

Hyperbody +2D (8pts)

Flight 4D (U; 2pts per die; 8pts)
Useful Extras & Flaws: N/A. Capacity: Speed.

Light Armor 2HD (D; 3pts per die; 12pts)
Defends Extras & Flaws: Armoured Defence -2, Endless +3. Capacity: Self.

PATTERN RECOGNITION
A souped up mental faculty for recognising the naturally occurring patterns and causation that surround us every day gives you superhuman levels of prediction and insight into people and events.
Source/s: Genetic (0pts)
Permission/s: Power Theme - Deduction (5pts)
Instrinsic/s: N/A

Hyperempathy +2D (2pts)

Hyperperception +3D (3pts)

Hyperscrutiny +3D (3pts)

Pattern Recognition 6D (UU; 2pts der die; 12pts)
Useful (Free Ride on the Clue Bus) Extras & Flaws: Exhausted -3. Capacity: Self.
Useful (Applied Math) Extras & Flaws: Exhausted -3. Capacity: Self.
Effect: This power has two effects:
1) once per scene/encounter your character can put together seemingly irrelevant pieces of information in order to gain insight into a particular question, use the Precognition guidelines in the main rules for reference;
2) once per scene/encounter you can roll to conceive an optimal course of action: attacking or defending oneself, identifying an alternative path past an obstacle, discerning personal information from body language/etc, this grants you bonus dice equal to the width of this roll on a related action.
Both are separate powers for the purposes of how often they may be used.

1/3

QUICK STUDY
You have a massive degree of brain plasticity in the areas governing learned abilities, this allows you to rapidly develop competencies in new areas beyond human norms. Unfortunately this unique quirk of biology causes you to lose these skills just as quickly and can only provide a limited degree of enhancement at a time.
Source: Genetic (0)
Permission: One Power - Quick Study (1pt)

Quick Study +4D+1WD (3pts per die; 24pts)
Hyperskill Extras & Flaws: If/Then (builds one dice per skill use) -1, If/Then (1D automatic transference when switching skills) -1, Variable Effect +4. Capacity: N/A
Effect: When making a skill roll you may add 1D from this ability. With every use the number of dice increases by 1 (the wiggle dice adds last). If you switch skills, dice switch at a rate of 1D per use. You may use other skills without this power to retain dice. You start with a skill of the your choice maxed out with this power.

AGELESS
You can't remember how long you've been alive, fragments of memories give you conflicting stories as you go further and further back. The only thing that is certain is that you don't seem to age and heal far more rapidly than normal.
Source: Genetic (0pts)
Permission: Power Theme - Ageless (5pts)

Ageless 2HD (Dud; 1pt per die; 4pts)

Old Hand +4D (Hyperskill; 2pts per die; 8pts)
Extras & Flaws: Attached (Ageless) -2, Variable Effect +4, Willpower Bid -1. Capacity: N/A.
Effect: You've a degree of mastery in just about every field obtained over your uncountable lifespan, this power counts as hyperskill dice in any skill you may have learned. Failure on a roll using this power costs a point of willpower, your memories betraying the competency you believed you recalled.

Regeneration 2HD (U; 2pts per die; 8pts)
Useful Extras & Flaws: Attached (Ageless) -2, Delayed Effect -2, Engulf +2, Permanent +4, Self Only -3, Subtle +1. Capacity: Self.
Effect: You heal far more rapidly than the average human (2SK to all hit locations per hour).

2/3

BEGUILING VOICE
Your voice is supernaturally charged enabling you to convince someone of anything with just a few moments of conversation. The change in timbre and resonance is immediately obvious to observers, but whether they end up caring or not is another matter entirely.
Source/s: Paranormal (0pts)
Permission/s: One Power - Beguiling Voice (1pt)
Intrinsics: N/A

Beguiling Voice +8D+2HD (Hypercharm; 2pts per die; 24pts)
Extras & Flaws: If/Then (requires verbal interaction) -1, Obvious -1. Capacity: N/A.

SHY TELEPORTER
You can move yourself and objects instantaneously from one location to another over short distances. The catch is that this is only possible when no one is watching.
Source/s: Psi (0pts)
Permission/s: One Power - Schrödinger's Teleport (1pt)

Base Will +1 (3pts)
Willpower +1 (1pt)

Schrödinger's Teleport 4D (UU; 5pts per die; 20pts)
Useful (Object Transfer) Extras & Flaws: If/Then (only unobserved objects to unobserved locations) -1, If/Then (must be able to hold object) -1, Power Capacity (Mass) +2, Subtle +1. Capacities: Range, Mass.
Useful (Unseen Teleport) Extras & Flaws: If/Then (only when unobserved) -1, Subtle +1. Capacity: Range.
Effect: This power has two uses. The first use allows you to summon inanimate objects from within your power range (~80 yards, less for heavier objects) to your grasp provided that both the object and the location it is being summoned to are unobserved (i.e. to within a coat pocket) and that it is small and light enough for you to carry. The second allows you to teleport, following the same principles of observation and range as the first use.

3/3

Easy enough then. Just use the flight miracle with the above If/Then flaw (the Obvious flaw is also a reasonable consideration, just keep in mind that power qualities cannot go below 1pt cost). Grab enough dice to reach the necessary speed on the power capacity table (you can use the booster extra for tenfold increases) and you're good to go.

Nice, I've been planning a cosmic superhero/space opera type game similar to Prophet and I've been wondering what I would do about spaceships.
This will be very helpful to me.

I love this system! It's really great for making super hero campaigns.

That being said, there are some things I absolutely have houserules for.

First of all, do not EVER use the default point-buy total if your group has power gamers. It's great for a decent, well rounded character, but a minmaxer can just about break the game. One time when I was irked that everyone else in the group made minmaxed characters when I hadn't, I went back and brought in a crippled evil psychic character. He had basically no stats but mind, but he had multiple actions, mind control, and hard dice. I couldn't do anything except for mind control, but every time the DM threw an army of mooks at us, I mind controlled the lot of them and made them off each other. Of course, I couldn't bring myself to fully be /thatguy/ so he had a tragic backstory and spent the majority of the short campaign roleplaying him being a barely-functional alcoholic and raising money to campaign for increased punishments for drunk drivers, this relating to his backstory. Sadly, my evil Professor Xavier was barely more optimized than the rest of the party.

Secondly, I homebrew the following: The book recommends you give out 1 character point at the end of every session. Two if it's particularly long or awesome. I absolutely disagree with this, as the party's progress can be easily outpaced by a glacier. Again, as I start them off low when I run, around 20 points for powers and 20 points for stats instead of the all around 70 or so, I usually give out 5-10 points depending on the length of the session.

It will make progress feel a lot better, trust me.

Mark Kelly, Boy Genius aka 'Ultimo 9000' (150pts)

Sources: Genetic (0), Tech (5)
Permissions: Inhuman Stat (Mind) (3), One Power (UTG) (1)

Stats (80pts)
Body 1D Coordination 2D Sense 2D
Mind 6D Command 3D Charm 2D
Base Will 5 - Willpower 5

Skills (16pts)
Knowledge (Computers) 2D, Knowledge (Electronics) 2D, Knowledge (Engineering) 2D, Research 1D, Security 1D.

Powers (45pts)
Ultimo Tech Gauntlet 5D (ADU; 9pts per die; 45pts)
Attacks Extras & Flaws: Depleted -1, Endless +3, Focus (Indestructable +2, Irreplaceable -2) -1, If/Then (only for variable effect) -1, If/Then (qualities and powers share charges) -1, If/Then (only 1 power at a time) -1, Variable Effect +4, Willpower Bid -1. Capacities: N/A.
Defends Extras & Flaws: Depleted -1, Endless +3, Focus (Indestructable +2, Irreplaceable -2) -1, If/Then (only for variable effect) -1, If/Then (qualities and powers share charges) -1, If/Then (only 1 power at a time) -1, Variable Effect +4, Willpower Bid -1. Capacities: N/A.
Useful Extras & Flaws: Depleted -1, Endless +3, Focus (Indestructable +2, Irreplaceable -2) -1, If/Then (only for variable effect) -1, If/Then (qualities and powers share charges) -1, If/Then (only 1 power at a time) -1, Variable Effect +4, Willpower Bid -1. Capacities: N/A.
Effect: The UTG is a device capable of emulating any power Mark can program into it, with a few limitations:
* With a successful roll Mark can program his gauntlet, transferring dice from the UTG into a new power (this requires he put up a point of willpower which he loses should he fail - a lot of self-esteem is tied up in his ability to use the gadget).
* Only one power may be emulated at once and a roll is required to reroute the UTG to a new power.
* In addition the device is quite power hungry even with its high-tech power cells, after 25 uses (including the use of emulated powers) the UTG requires an hour of recharge time at an electrical outlet (and a substantial bump to the utility bill).

1/2

EXAMPLE POWERS:

Flightfield 5D (DU)
Defends Extras & Flaws: Attached (Useful Quality) -2, Focus -1, Spray (3D) +3. Capacity: Self.
Useful Extras & Flaws: Booster +1, Duration +2, Focus -1, Fragile -1, If/Then (only with the Earth's magnetosphere) -1. Capacity: Speed.
Effect: By generating a carefully calibrated magnetic field the UTG is capable of producing powered flight at speeds of up to 400mph within the Earth's magnetosphere. The field is quite fragile however and can be disrupted by a single blow, a limitation Mark has been unable to crack and has compensated for by giving himself incredible manueverability in order to avoid attacks.

Hercules Exoskeleton (Hyperbody) +5D
Extras & Flaws: Attacks +1, Focus -1.
Effect: The UTG can create a skeletonised powered exoskeleton of hyper-lightweight articulated smart materials extending from the gauntlet. Under the effects of this suit Mark is capable of incredible feats of strength and his battle prowess is further enhanced by the suit's reinforced knuckles and joints adding an additional point of width to his attacks for the purposes of damage.

Laser Blaster 5D (A+1)
Extras & Flaws: Attacks +1, Focus -1, Obvious -1, Spray (3D) +3, Slow -2. Capacity: Range.
Effect: With a relatively simple hack Mark is able to turn the UTG's optics into a weaponised laser. Capable of unleashing a hellish torrent of firepower the laser blaster is horribly inefficient, in addition to the bright pulses of energy it causes the UTG to noisily vent clouds of hot, pungent steam and requires a break between bursts to avoid overheating.

Bioscanner 5D (U)
Extras & Flaws: Focus -1, No Physics +1. Capacity: Range.
Effect: Utilizing advanced sensors and the readout mounted on the back of the gauntlet Mark can pull in and parse a staggering amount of local environmental data to scan for lifeforms up to 160 yards away, unimpeded by obstructions or obsfucation. Bigger sets allow for a greater degree of accuracy and information.

2/2

Agreed. When I run it I always do the 'session 0' character creation thing to get everyone on board with a coherent group focus and power level. WT risks running off the rails way too easily otherwise.

>20 points for stats
What point costs are you using? That sounds really low, but I'm not familiar with earlier editions. That said for advancement I usually go with 3 points a piece, plus 1 if you've played up a disadvantage or I singled out your character for something that session, plus each player gets another point that they can give to someone else for doing things they thought were cool (which I'm pretty sure is how 2E plays it in the book).

should I give it unconventional move while in atmosphere?

Have the pdf of those neat little powers

Depends on it's in-atmosphere movement capabilities, but it's definitely possible. Alternatively look at the native sprint speed for it's body score and consider putting levels of booster on it if you need something substantially higher than the table allows for.

jumping, hovering, and boosting for short bursts

like 27 seconds in
youtube.com/watch?v=IWf8Q8kZHyw

47 seconds
youtube.com/watch?v=DjsyjAbHnS0

doesn't appear to be any centralized theme. People get random talents cause of reasons?

wow, so deep, much background.

there's about 3-4 setting books
full core rules comes with an alt history timeline spanning post ww2 to modern times

if thats true they should think of a better title, one more indicative of the nature of said powers and their origins.

Yeah, either unconventional move or Booster (and maybe No Physics) on the body stat.

It's meant as a toolkit system. If you're looking for settings there are a whole bunch that've been published for it:

- A World Gone Mad: An extension of the WWII Godlike rpg that Wild Talents draws it's system from.
- The Kerberos Club: Victorian age weirdness and social mores, wherein powers make you a useful, dangerous outsider.
- eCollapse: Dystopian future. Gaining powers from bio-tech is a risky business both legally and medically, only the most desperate and determined need apply.
- Progenitor: Alt-history supers. What would happen if a Kansas housewife gained cosmic power in the late 1960s? And what if she was contagious?

Plus there's probably some others I'm forgetting.

Blood of the gods

super powers = demi gods running around in ancient greece

its free

Found two more:

> Grim War is a Wild Talents roleplaying game setting of superpowered mutants vying with factions of sorcerers who summon dire, powerful spirits to do their bidding. Players can take either role, mutant or magician, and most games feature both.

(Pretty neat. I think I read somewhere that the underlying concept is supposed to be about flipping the dichotomy between the well-heeled Sorceror Supreme and sewer-dwelling mutants to genetically-gifted paragons and skeevy warlocks hiding in rotting tenements.)

and;

> This Favored Land is a sourcebook for the Wild Talents roleplaying game set during the American Civil War. Players take the role of The Gifted, ordinary people who—by divine providence or pure chance—have been granted extraordinary powers. Occasionally seen as saviors, they are most often scorned and hunted as sorcers and demons, witches and charlatans.

(Never really touched this one myself. Not bad to read but nothing really jumped out at me.)

Charlie Strong, One-Man Riot (150pts)

Source: Psi (0)
Permission: Power Theme (Rage) (5)
Intrinsics: No Willpower, No Way (-5), Allergy (Willpower: Enraged Fugue) (-16)

Stats (92pts)
Body 3D Coordination 2D Sense 2D
Mind 2D Command 2D Charm 2D
Base Will 13 - Willpower 13

Skills (24pts)
Brawling 1D, Weapon (Club) 1D, Weapon (Pistol) 2D, Streetwise 2D, Intimidation 2D, Lie 1D, Stability 3D.

Powers (50pts)
Enraged Fugue 2HD (U+3; 1pt per die; 4pts)
Useful Extras & Flaws: Endless +3, If/Then (no memory) -1, If/Then (only when angry) -1, Self Only -3, Uncontrollable -2, Useful +2. Capacity: Self.
Effect: Charlie enters an uncontrollable rage removing all self control and abolishing short-term memory. His allergy costs him 1 willpower/round, halting his spree when it hits zero.

Hurts Wonderfully 2HD (U; 1pt per die; 4pts)
Useful Extras & Flaws: Attached (E.F) -2, Endless +3, If/Then (when struck) -1, Self-Only -3. Capacity: Self.
Effect: When enraged, damage taken restores width in willpower. Willpower generated by this power is lost when Enraged Fugue ends.

Infectious Rage 3HD (UU; 2pts per die; 6pts)
Useful (Minions) Extras & Flaws: Attached (E.F) -2, If/Then (those attacked) -1, Endless +3, Touch-Only -2. Capacity: Touch.
Useful (Mind Control) Extras & Flaws: Attached (E.F) -2, If/Then (those attacked) -1, If/Then (rage) -1, Endless +3, Touch-Only -2. Capacity: Touch.
Effect: Every round Charlie creates width minions from those he has attacked who begin rioting and attacking the unaffected, turning on one another if no other targets are available. Supers are also effected, subject to a Stability roll or Willpower spend.

Hyperbrawling +1D (4pts per die; 4pts)
Attacks Extras & Flaws: Attack +1, Attached (E.F) -2, Penetration +2, Spray (2D) +2.
Effect: 10D pool, WK+1 damage, 2 PEN, all sets apply.

The following are the cafeteria powers w/ Attached (E.F) -2:
Hyperbody +4D (8pts)
Extra Tough 2HD (8pts)
Regeneration 3HD (12pts)
Light Armor 2HD (4pts)

Glad it's of use. I'm working on a full supplement that includes simple, ORE mechanics for space travel, alien generation and lots of other stuff.

Using Wild Talents, I'd probably make it a Useful power with the Augments extra, where it adds its dice to whatever dice pool the Zaku uses for movement. To balance it I'd probably give it Limited Uses so that you can't just thrust in the direction of the problem all day.

Or you can build it as a Hyperskill, since it's basically a powered, technological version of an Athletics skill.

You're taking to this very nicely. I like how you worked out this guy's power in general, especially the Willpower Allergy to his own power. It's something I probably never would have thought of and might actually use in my own game.

Here's something you could use. That is, if you don't have it already.

Thanks, I figured it was the best way of putting a clock on a power that could be manipulated. Gadgeteering seems crappy for the cost considering the flexibility is hamstrung by the downtime requirement, so I thought I'd tweak it:

Henry Carlisle - Archaeologist Adventurer & Occultist

Source: Paranormal
Permission: Inventor (Occult Artifacts) (5)

Stats (133pts)
Body 3D Coordination 3D Sense 3D
Mind 3D Command 5D Charm 3D
Base Will 19 - Willpower 19
Passions - Adventure! (5), It Belongs In A "Museum" (7); Loyalties - Carlisle Name (5), Occult Underground (3)

Skills (45pts)
Pulp Adventurer 4D
Passable Academic 2D
Museum/Tomb Robber 3D

Powers (72pts)
Focus: The Vaults -4
Extras & Flaws: Focus -1, Irreplaceable -2, Unwieldly -2.

Occult Artifacts 6D+2HD+2WD (ADUU; 4pts per die; 72pts)
Attacks Extras & Flaws: Delayed Effect -2, Endless +3, If/Then (Variable Effect is only for mythological artifacts) -1, The Vaults -4, Variable Effect +4, Willpower Investment -1. Capacity: N/A.
Defends Extras & Flaws: Delayed Effect -2, Endless +3, If/Then (Variable Effect is only for mythological artifacts) -1, The Vaults -4, Variable Effect +4, Willpower Investment -1. Capacity: N/A.
Useful Extras & Flaws: Delayed Effect -2, Endless +3, If/Then (Variable Effect is only for mythological artifacts) -1, The Vaults -4, Variable Effect +4, Willpower Investment -1. Capacity: N/A.
Useful (Retrieval) Extras & Flaws: Delayed Effect -2, Endless +3, Self Only -3, The Vaults -4. Capacity: Self.
Effect: Henry has access to a the hidden vaults of historical mythological artifacts that he has retrieved for his patrons in the occult underground. He may requisition a few of them at a time to aid him in his misadventures. This power mimics gadgeteering, except that the powers created must belong to mythological magical artifacts which he and other agents are assumed to have previously retrieved. The retrieval provides a reward for recovering new artifacts for his patrons.

>wild talents
Literally who

On that note I'm pretty sure there's another supplement especially for aliens in one of the Reign expansion bundles that Stolze has on his website.

Yup, a supplement called "Out of a Violent Planet." It's a very specific setting that stipulates that mankind is unique among sentient races in the galaxy in that they don't possess psychic powers, which is both a weakness (their minds are working at a wholy lower level than the rest of existance) and a strength (the concept of physical violence is alien to non-humans). So basically these aliens abduct humans to turn them into mercenaries in a proxy war.

It's got awesome One Roll Alien rules that I've absolutely adapted in my own work, since those rules are primarily aimed at creating gross, bug eyed psychic monsters and I wanted a broader array of creatures to be possible.

quick bump if anyone's interested in further discussion.

I don't have much to add to this discussion, but I absolutely adore this system! Used it at both extremes for a low powered emerging supers in the real world campaign, to my teen super-villains in the DC universe campaign and it handled both like a dream.

I played a bit of Godlike, that was fun.
A bit different form Wild Talents as far as I can tell, more lethal and easier to disrupt powers.

Anyone tried combining Reign and Wild Talents? I really like the magic system, Martial and Esoteric Disciplines but I'm unsure how well they'd translate over in terms of usefulness.

And THAT was the longest lunch break ever!

In this case meaning a family drama and fuck it break...

Anyway, That's body, now for Coordination
2d= You play a decent game of Darts
5d= Agile as an olympic Gymnast.

Alright, I'll go with 2 normal and 3 Hyper for Coordination (10:12= 45/250)

Sense, AKA perception

4d: You're an uncanny tracker
5d: you are at one with your environment

I'll got with the 4 normal (20 points) and 1 Hyper (4 points) for Sense (69/250)

As for the Mental Stats, I'll stick with Normal's and No Hyper dice for
4d Mind: (Pick of Ivy league Scholarships) 20 points
3d Charm: (You often defuse tense situations) 15 points
2d Command: (Average joe or Jane) 10 points.

All told, I'm at 114/250, and not onto the powers.

Fluff for this character involves something of a 'custom setting' I'm working on
>Who knows, WT might be just the system to play with that.

Overall summary, magical radiation screws with a person's body based on their mood, mental state, personal prioritys and "Alignment" (For lack of a better word)

The hypothetical character got into the "Last man on Earth/Lone Survivor" mindset and his activities ended up warping his body into "Pretty Good" all around physically, but with Zero Adjustment to his Mind or Charm.

And in fact, his Command took a hit rather than being boosted. (If he was still normal, it'd be a 3d easily, but with the whole "Last survivor" schtick, the nail that sticks up is the one that get's hammered down)

Next up, Skills!

That's kind of what I've been working on actually. Like I said in this post here , I've been building a sci-fi add-on for REIGN that incorporates a lot of aspects of Wild Talents. In place of either Miracles or Magic, it uses a system called Marvels which is kind of a cross between the two to create technology and other futuristic stuff. My alien creation rules are also somewhat adapted from the Archetype rules in WT (and infact I call them Xenotypes, to that end).

I can post some of it here if you're interested. It's in a semi-playable form though I haven't quite tested most of it out yet.

I also used REIGN's martial paths once in a Wild Talents game for a villain who was a knife expert. That was pretty scary, but it worked nicely.

And dear sweet Christ on a cracker, here we go...

Frankly, I'm thinking most of these skills are gonna be in the "Hyper" Category, dealing with the whole, "Body adapted in various way's schtick.
Normal Stat point cost: 2RD, 4HD, 8WD
Hyper stat point cost: 1RD, 2HD, 4WD

Body Skills, (Your body pool is added to these rolls)
Athletics is part of the theme, so call that 4 Hyper for now
Blocking not so much, as the best way to survive an encounter with an enemy is to A: Not be whereever they are, and B: use Ranged weaponry.
Brawling, 1 Hyper,
Endurance: Oh hell yes, call it 1 Normal and 4 Hyper (6 points)
Melee weapons, always have a knife, 2 Hyper.

Coordination skills
Dodge: Straight up 4 Hyper. Couldn't dodge for shit before, necessary survival trait now
Driving: 2 Normal (4 points)
Stealth: Have I mentioned I like deadlands, where EVERYBODY has at least ONE dice in sneaking? Cause seriously, who doesn't know how to tiptoe? Anyway, 1 normal and 4 Hyper (6 points)
Ranged Weaponry: This...I'm gonna call practice makes perfect rather than super enhancement, and say 3 Normal, 1 Hyper in Pistol.

(34 points, so 148 out of 250)

That'd be great and do you know where I could find One-Roll Martial Disciplines at? From what I can tell Reign Enchiridion doesn't have the rules to make them which is disappointing.

One Roll Martial Paths don't exist, unfortunately. Each Path is basically written to fill a specific niche and aren't necessarily balanced against each other in the same way that the different ranks of Esoteric Disciplines are. So there are no written rules for One Roll Paths.

That said it's super easy to put together your own Paths as a result, since there are no benchmarks you need to hit at each level. Stolze's approach and encouragement for them has always been pure eyeballing.

Here's my write-up on Marvels. You should be able to see from this how I combined Miracles from WT and Magic from REIGN.

Sense Skills
Empathy: Not an enhancement, but not a heartless prick pre-change, 1 Normal (2 points)
Perception: Backstory shenanigans plus a necessary survival trait, 2 normal, 3 Hyper (7 Points)
Scrutiny: Good for scrounging edible vittles/ammo and safe shelters, 4 Hyper.

Mind Skills
First Aid: Some basics growing up plus "Meatball self-care" should mean 3 Normal. (6 points)
Knowledge: College student before shit hit the fan...let's say something more useful than "Business Analyst" but not enough to go "Oh, I'm the PERFECT person to survive a world ending event!"
...hmm, I'll come back to this one.
Language: No points needed here, save for the obligatory John McClane quote
>"Lady, I only speak two languages; English and Bad English!"
>"I mean, I'm all for conversation, but if you could just SHUT UP for a minute!"
Medicine: As in Surgery? If you doin' shit right, then you shouldn't NEED to be performing surgery! Then again, this could qualify for "Pulling a bullet out" or "Stitching a Rude Gash" so I'll call it 1 normal dice (2 points)
Navigation: This falls under the heading of a needed survival skill, I think, so 1 Normal, 2 Hyper (4 points)
Research: Researching what? Little busy trying not to get my ass bitten off, thank you!
Security: No one left who cares enough about an alarm to send the cops. Zero points
Streetwise: What Law? What black market? zero points
Survival: Fucking 7 Hyper dice.
Tactics: I'll call this 3 Hyper dice just for the "Avoiding an Ambush" bit.

(35 Points ~ 183/250

Probably my least favorite part about WT's skill system is that they separate Healing into two Skills. It makes sense and the rule support it, but it's honestly just an annoyance. Actually healing in WT on the whole isn't very fun, since you can pretty easily hurt yourself worse if you follow the rules-as-written and serious damage can lay you out for a long time, which is never fun (though realistic).

Charm Skills
Lie: I'll just say 1 Normal dice here (2 points)
Perform: Yeah, THIS is so important, (not)
Persuade: 1 Normal dice, cause EVERYONE should have some idea how to convince someone of something. (2 points)

Command skills
Interrogate: Useful knowledge, call it 3 Hyper
Intimidate: Likewise useful, 3 Hyper
Leadership: Yeah, no.
Stability: THIS is where the money is. 7 Hyper, flat out.

(17 points ~ 200/250) points

Wow, I wasn't even trying for that! Alright, lets get down to the power sets and see how much of a train wreck this is gonna turn into!