Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)

>Veeky Forums Character Sheet
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>New-ish official PDF
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Last wresting match: How does your STR checks fare, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/demo.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>How does your STR checks fare, Veeky Forums?

Our barbarian forgot to take Athletics. I didn't even think this was possible.

My superninja physic wonderchild monk don't have athletics.
*Fucking* hermit background... doesn't even get a useful feature >:(

Lightfoot halfling rogue swashbuckler grappler (expertise athletics)
>grapple medium target, cunning action hide behind him
>stab for sneak attack, cunning action hide every round

Generic rogue grappler (expertise athletics)
>human, tavern brawler
>level 1 fighter (for shield prof), take rogue swashbuckler for the rest of your levels
>level 4 rogue, take shield master feat
>stab enemy with a piton for sneak attack damage, bonus action grapple
>next turn, stab him with the piton again, drop the piton, draw a shield, shove prone (shield master)
This way the rogue gets to prone his grapplee without missing out on sneak attacks (albeit this strategy is locked behind two feats)

hermit feature is the most laughable in the game
>"ur DM makes a secret for your character!"

To be fair, are any of the features actually useful (outside of Outlander, perhaps)?

It's the first time we're playing 5e so I didn't realize 'features' are (supposed to be) perks to the backgrounds when I made the character. I just thought it was one of those background questions, so I made my dude an atheist that doesn't into gods for mortals to wield magic/ki.

I'll just have to bear it out till lvl 9 when you don't need to roll for athletics anymore. :(

Plus Outlander's both skills are useful! I should've just chosen that one instead...

Does no one read the part where, by RAW, you can cobble together your own Background? PHB 126-127, only an entirely new "feature" requires DM fiat the rest is just player customization.

I'm actually making a battlemaster/assassin for a pic related feel

>run up to mook
>trip attack punch, grapple, drag to bushes
>>"Start talking"
>sneak attack crit nonlethal
>>"Don't forget the basics of CQC"

Charlatan allows forgery without checks
Rustic hospitality for being able to safely hide from people, parties, organizations including law enforcement.
Guild Artisan for political intrigue campaigns; also, you get to have your funeral paid for (if you maintain paying the guild 5gp per month)
Noble/Knight is like a shitty version of Guild Artisan for political benefits, but the variant feature of having retainers you don't have to pay is kinda nice
Urchin could be alright if the DM's style befits it

>mfw you've posted this in every thread for the past 4 threads
Here's your (You)

I'm actually a different guy

Thanks though, I will treasure that (You) forever

Charlatan, criminal, guild artisan, sailor and soldier are all really useful. Noble is also good a lower levels.

>are any of the features actually useful (outside of Outlander, perhaps)?

Acolyte is okay if your DM doesn't normally run churches as free healing dispensers, or wants to make you jump through hoops to get your curses cured. I once used it to get our lycanthrope cured.

Noble position of privilege could be nice in a while if your DM doesn't normally have the king hold 24/7 walk-in hours for armed strangers. Could be a way to let your weapons be accepted in court too.

Merchant gets you a free cart and mule. Those are *very* nice at chargen if you can keep them safe. That extra carry capacity can mean a huge increase in income when you need it most. To take advantage of it, you need to loot aggressively in the early-game, taking every single thing that could possibly be sold, including all the shitty leather armors, bandit weapons, and other garbage.

Noble's retainers should be amazing (three people to watch your cart and animals while you're in the dungeon), but I have not seen them played enough to know exactly how awesome and what their drawbacks are in real play. If you get the squire option, that depends on how your DM treats the squire's combat stats.

Sage would be good if your group played it to the letter. As in, every single failed knowledge check gives you "well, you could find this out in XYZ". In practice it's much like knowledge checks in general; people quickly get sick of this kind of "free" knowledge.

I think outlander is overrated because rations are rarely an issue unless you fuck up badly, you'll get wherever you need to be at the speed of plot anyway, and if the DM wants you low on food, he'll just take away the free rations anyway ("the land doesn't provide that free food lel, roll survival"). If your group tracks rations, plays wilderness survival by the book, and the DM is reluctant to turn off the outlander free food, then it's a fantastic background.

I think they dropped the ball there.

Backgrounds should provide connections. Basically, lifelines that players can tug on to get information or help, and which can tug on the players.

If I were designing them (and I am for a homebrew setting), I'd do them like this: backgrounds provide connections, which can be called on for favors. Basically, you get a token with two sides for each connection your background provides. You can call in a favor once per session per token, by giving the DM your token. The DM then gets to call in favors against you later in the session or campaign, by giving you back the token, which then lets you call in favors, etc.

So a person with a thief background might be able to call in favors from a guild, but the guild will expect the person to recruit good people (the party) for a heist on occasion.

I like it user, that could work nicely

Has WotC ever commented on the inanity of this feat?

>fighter tavern brawler has a club
>wants to use tavern brawler grapple
>needs to drop his club and use his fist for the attack
>but if he was holding a table leg, he could have used that instead of his fist - using the exact stats of a club

??????????????????

That is why you should pick Dueling Fighting Style if you want to play as Tavern Fighter Brawler.

has anyone allowed their players to use Death Domain? was it op? I'm concerned about animate dead as well.

>That is why

What the fuck? What is why? Do you even english?

>take tavern brawler
>Oh boy I can use improvised weapons with my proficiency for at least 1d4!
>look at improvised weapon rules
>Already lets you do that if the item kind of looks like a weapon
That bonus action grapple is pretty much the only reason to take it unless you have a hard-on for improvised weapons and your DM is really stingy about their stats.

>'that is why' vs 'which is why'
That's not even being a grammar nazi, that's just trying to pick a fight.

Dino Rider DM here. Just finished a preliminary version of my setting map. Does it look comfy? And is the scale appropriate?

And yeah, the name of the island will change. Started with a different premise.

Just hit with the club's pommel, it'll do the same damage anyway

Why is this an issue? It's just written that way so that you don't do something like hit with a longsword and bonus action grapple, the fact that a regular club and a table leg do the same amount of damage is irrelevant

Now if you break a chair or a whole table on a guy's head you'll end up doing more damage and getting a grapple unless your DM is bad

>That bonus action grapple is pretty much the only reason to take it unless you have a hard-on for improvised weapons and your DM is really stingy about their stats.
Guess my rogue grappler is using a piton as an improvised dagger using the stats of a dagger for the rest of the game, then.

I'll just headcanon that I'm actually using daggers that I've nicknamed "piton".

The real question here is why are you walking around with a club if you have tavern brawler in the first place

Wouldn't it be better to just carry around a thick tree branch or table leg? Or using your fist that does the same damage and keeps your hand free for more grapples?

>Why is this an issue? It's just written that way so that you don't do something like hit with a longsword and bonus action grapple, the fact that a regular club and a table leg do the same amount of damage is irrelevant
Because someone could improvise a longsword and use it with the same longsword stats (hypothetically). I just want to use my fucking dagger (1d4 dmg regardless) instead of pulling out a fucking sharpened dildo that is absolutely no different in terms of function or stats every fucking fight.

Endless Isle looks like it has definite bounds. Is there magic there?

If there is magic that makes it expand out to infinity when someone is on it, how did anyone ever get on it, and then off it to report this fact back to mapmakers?

>Wouldn't it be better to just carry around a thick tree branch or table leg? Or using your fist that does the same damage and keeps your hand free for more grapples?
Exactly. It's fucking stupid.
>"Why are you carrying that table leg around dude?"
"Why don't you just use a regular club then? Here, have this club."
"..."

Yeah, it's one of those weird-space islands like the Lost Woods in Zelda. That's as far as I got with the idea.

But to answer your question, it's not inescapable, so it does have a reputation.

I've been working on some fun worldbuilding. In particular, I've been coming up with better ways to integrate Background into gameplay, particularly in knowledge-based checks. For instance, an Acolyte would likely be familiar with the major players in their religion; a Soldier would instantly recognize a famous warship, etc. I think it would be fun to have some challanges that were like "DC15 History check OR have the Soldier background" so that they have a greater influence than just character creation and a fun quirk or two, and perhaps give some characters or players who don't have much roleplay ability some time to have fun.

Noble you can pull the "take me alive my family will pay a ransom" card

I agree. I'm this guy:My current project is designing faction based backgrounds for my world, on top of adding favor mechanics to the existing generic backgrounds.

Let me know what things you come up with, cause what you've got so far is pretty cool.

The primary purpose is the bonus action grapple.

If your DM hates you, fun, and improvised weapon stats, this feat makes you suck slightly less.

If your DM isn't a faggot, you get to throw people and objects like a fucking madman with full proficiency and more than 1d4 damage.

What'd you use to make this map? CC3 is an unwieldy piece of ass.

I found a random map generator online:

www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/demo.html

And fiddled around with it until I had something interesting looking. It does square and hex maps too, complete with climate and 3d models.

The Warship one came from a sort of Folding Boat on steroids called the "Desert Falcon". Unlike a Folding Boat, it can be a large trunk (Think ark of the covenant-sized, maybe bigger), a basic office for diplomatic affairs, a large warship, or a fucking FLYING large warship.

Pride of the Imperial fleet(Or whatever the most influential nation in your campaign is) filled to the brim with the most elite officers, seamen, and marines the armed forces can bring to bear.

DC 15 History Check; Noble Background can attempt check untrained (Might have rubbed elbows with one of its officers at some point); Soldier automatically succeeds, though their information is more of excited rumors.

>tfw our cleric didn't take Medicine

Another idea I've had is upgradeable magical items. It lets players get their hands on some cool stuff early in the game with the later promise of getting them to full power. (For instance, a depowered Holy Avenger than when first obtained acts like a slightly better Silvered weapon)

The one I have is a folding boat that starts as just the box with the rowboat form, but you can find a matching sailcloth to give it bag of holding type-I capacity and a 27-foot covered-deck sloop form(Mid-game, or when the party needs to travel over water), and an air cloth (Late game) to give it the power to fly)

Clerics don't really need it

noice! buckmark'd

Doesn't someone in the party always have medicine, from some shitty background or whatever?The wizard should be able to pull it off with just their INT modifier anyway.

Medicine is a Wisdom-based skill. I suppose you could make the case for an Int-based Medicine check to your DM, but it's Wisdom by default.

Oh well, whatever WIS-class you've got then.

Still looking for that Lovecraft Homebrew PDF.

It was linked like three threads ago when you asked the first time. Try the archives.

>our cleric didn't take Medicine
The stuff you care about doesn't actually need it. He can use a healer kit or a cantrip to stabilize people without rolling, curing disease is a second level spell (lesser restoration), and he's using magic for the actual healing anyway. Even the healer feat doesn't grant or require proficiency. Medicine can determine cause of death, but I consider that equivalent to the ranger tracking things. It's a plot hook disguised as a skill. You're going to wind up where you need to be, and with the information you need, whether you succeed that check or not.

So all in all I'd rather have my cleric cover perception and insight.

Shit, no. I meant the one with subclasses.

>grapple medium target, cunning action hide behind him
>stab for sneak attack, cunning action hide every round
That's retarded. Not going to happen.

>"No."
Oh, yes, of course. You're right, I messed up and forgot that rule.

You can't hide behind someone you're grappling. That's literally retarded.

It works out guy

>literally retarded
Only someone who is literally stupid would call an abstract concept literally retarded.

>You can't hide behind someone you're grappling.
>"No."
Wanna try to explain yourself one more time?

Okay, let me put it in real simple terms:

NO.

Why?

Because he knows exactly where you are; he can see, hear and feel you.

NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

You can if you're a halfling, you can hide behind medium creatures, it's a rule

Yes, and the hide check is going to automatically fail, since the person you're hiding from knows exactly where you are.

NO.

>Because he knows exactly where you are; he can see, hear and feel you.
>Yes, and the hide check is going to automatically fail, since the person you're hiding from knows exactly where you are.

God damn, you really are stupid. Please show me in my post where I said the rogue was hiding from the grappled target.

Fucking idiot.

You can't just override a rule because "no"

I would get if you imposed disadvantage on the hide roll, but you can't just refuse

You didn't, but you're still going to fail. Or you'll succeed in hiding, but won't get anything to show for it.

Just like you can't continually hide behind the same tree and get advantage every single time, the halfling cannot hide behind a medium sized creature and get advantage.

You get advatage because you're striking from an unexpected location, if you just stay where they expect you to be, that means no advantage to you.

I can say "it won't work". If they're adamant on trying, they can roll, but it will never succeed.

>You didn't, but you're still going to fail. Or you'll succeed in hiding, but won't get anything to show for it.
>Just like you can't continually hide behind the same tree and get advantage every single time, the halfling cannot hide behind a medium sized creature and get advantage.
>You get advatage because you're striking from an unexpected location, if you just stay where they expect you to be, that means no advantage to you.
Holy shit. It's like I'm actually speaking to a child.

The rogue is hiding from the rest of the battlefield. Nowhere did I say that he's trying to hide from the creature he's also grappling.

>Nowhere did I say that he's trying to hide from the creature he's also grappling.
Read this part:
>You didn't, but you're still going to fail.
The whole battlefield is still going to know you're behind the guy you're grappling, and can react accordingly.

Besides, they'd have to be all in a line, if they're slightly to the sides they're going to spot you outright.

It is a rule

You should familiarize yourself with that concept, you know, rules?

What is a rule?

>The whole battlefield is still going to know you're behind the guy you're grappling, and can react accordingly.
Halflings, by the game's rules are permitted to roll a hide check if there is a medium creature between them and another creature.
>Besides, they'd have to be all in a line, if they're slightly to the sides they're going to spot you outright.
Ah, I see you're moving the goalpost now. The halfling can roll to hide on every turn from creatures that haven't seen that he's there.

Jesus Christ, I'll just argue your side for you, since you're so fucking terrible at it:
>the grappled target yells your location to his companions

Feel free to adopt this argument against me, you'll hold up a lot better with it than you will with
>"well uh you just can't do it... because i want to be right..."

Yeah... about them rules... if you're being retarded you better hope your DM is also retarded...

Did you ignore the part where I said that you can't keep hiding behind the same tree?

B-b-b-but that's goal post moving! We're talking about a medium creature that I've just grappled!

The funny part is that he calls me a child.

Why do you care so much about this tree? It's completely unrelated to the discussion. The rogue is hiding from the rest of the battlefield. If he fails one of his hides or through some other means, the enemies realize where he is, he can stab his target one more than and fuck off somewhere else. What don't you understand?

>"I know! I'll pretend to be another poster supporting me! That way, it will SEEM like I'm right!"

Ha

Because it's directly analogous to the scenario you've describing. Let me explain how hide works:

You attempt to hide, you succeed = the enemies lose a sight of you. They still expect to find you where you hid from them, so unless you relocate, you're not going to get advantage. You get advantage by striking from a location they don't expect to find you.

If you stay behind a certain object, be that tree, stalagmite, or that medium creature you're grappling, you might at best make the people you're hiding from lose track of you. But they are still going to expect to find you where they last saw you, so unless you move, you're not going to get advantage.

Do you understand?

In this corner: a guy uses RAW to become a nuisance to anyone with common sense

In the other corner: a spergy child of a "DM" refuses to work with the rules in a way that will satisfy both the guy trying to get some advantage and his own autism

Who will win? Nobody, we all lose

this sums up just about every thread to be honest

I hope everyone is learning the important lesson here: Logic and DnD don't mix.

The DM decides what's valid and what's not, the rulebooks are there to help out and are completely malleable at the DMs discretion. They are not some permanent unchanging framework that people can try to fuck with and break.

Grappleguy is just masturbating to all this attention, I suggest you just leave them be rather than join them.

Why can't people work things out? There are so many ways to work this in a way that everyone is more or less satisfied but people seem either hell bent on abusing the rules or just refusing "because I said no"

I'm fine with him using the guy he's grappling as concealment, breaking contact, and moving into some underbrush to attack again with advantage. But that's dependant on the location; if you're fighting in an empty street in bright daylight with few things to hide behind, you're going to have a hard time hiding.

But this guy wants to stay at the same location and milk advantage because "nuh-uh, the rules say I can!". Fuck that guy.

>"That's retarded."

>"That's retarded."

>"You can't hide from the guy you're grappling because he can see, hear, and feel you."

>Explains that you have misinterpreted the original post and your argument is therefore moot

>"I-I know that! So... sure... you can hide. But it won't do anything... because... hiding behind the same creature won't... give him advantage every turn? You get advantage because the target doesn't know where you are... just like trees..."

I'm just going to pause here because you've clearly demonstrated that you further don't understand the rules. The original post dictated that this rogue is a Swashbuckler; this means at level 3, he gets Sneak Attack on targets that are not adjacent to anyone else. That's why he's getting his sneak attacks you fucking moron.

"Well... sure... he could hide from everyone... but they'd have to be all lined up or it wouldn't work..."

>Explain that you're still wrong and why. Give you an argument to use that is actually viable.

>"But the tree thing...."

>"I still don't know the rules for the class I'm arguing about. Let me tell you how it works in my head even though I haven't read the manual."

Wanna try one more time?

Please propose a reasonable compromise

I was actually about to add "unless you're trying to hide from someone other than the guy you're grappling with, but that wouldn't work either". But I don't think that really matters, since you're going to sperg around either way.

You're not any better! You're a fucking child throwing a tantrum

Bending rules is ok, breaking them outright just because some fucking powergamer thinks he's clever makes you as bad as him, if not worse

This is what I've got, even though I'm pretty sure it's not actually what you're looking for.

Hey, idiot, that has been cleared up multiple times already. Go back and read the following posts:
>you finally fucking understand
>"well... it still wouldn't work... I win...."

There are a fucking billion ways you can handle this as a DM
>the grappled guy yells and alerts his friends
>each subsequent hide attempt after the first has disadvantage
>the guy grapples back
>flanking

Notice how none of those solutions go against RAW

Anyone have the drawing of the guy getting a booty call But ends up playing D&D?

So I was right, you're still sperging. Good job.

DC being 40 is not against the rules either. Neither is you not getting advantage if everyone knows where you are.

So, verified, this dumb fuck has been arguing for 20 minutes and was wrong the entire time because he's literally incapable of reading posts directed solely to him.

Congratulations! The idiot of the thread award is yours! Be sure to come back in the next thread, we'll all be eagerly awaiting your next display of sheer stupidity.

It absolutely is

DC to hide is the people you're hiding from's passive peeception

You have advantage against creatures you successfully hide from

That's how the rules work, you don't get to make arbitrary rulings that go against RAW because you don't like the idea of what the guy is doing

Except you do...

So I guess this sneak attack and hiding thing will be just like that dumb Arrakocra grappler thing for this thread?

Yeah, I thought /ic/ was bad with the bait, but this thread is apparently really bored or really dumb. Probably both.

The ultimate
>I was wrong all along because I didn't know the rules
cop out post: "The DM has the final say! ;)"

Yep!

For something else; has anyone played Arcane Trickster? Am I going to be better off MCing Sorc or Wiz if I want to be a stealthy rogue illusionmaster?

If you keep bringing it up, yes.

But report, hide, and move on seems out of our collective depth, so I suppose we can look forward to more of this for the foreseeable future.

All I wanted to do was play pretend, man...

Arcane Trickster is the confirmed Jack-of-all-Rogue-Archetypes?

Thief's main things: Fast Hands (3rd lvl) and Supreme Sneak (9th lvl)
Arcane Trickster:
>Mage Hand Legerdemain (3rd lvl) to do everything Fast Hands can do from a distance
>Haste (14th lvl) for doubled movement speed, +2AC, advantage on saving throws, and an additional action each turn - all for 10 turns (while concentration is maintained)

Swashbuckler's main things: Fancy Footwork (3rd lvl) and Rakish Audacity (3rd lvl) (let's do Elegant Maneuver (13th lvl) as well)
Arcane Trickster:
>Take the mobile feat just like basically every other rogue does (1st or 4th lvl)
>Find Familiar (3rd lvl), choose flying snake; every turn, have the snake fly adjacent to your target, use the help action, and fly away for free Sneak Attack (with advantage)
>Haste (14th lvl) as above, you get advantage on dex saves for 10 turns

Mastermind's main things: Master of Tactics (3rd lvl) and Misdirection (13th lvl)
Arcane Trickster:
>Find Familiar (3rd lvl), flying snake; your familiar can use the help action for anyone within 55 feet of it once per round without using any of your actions
>Shield (8th lvl if you take FF at 3rd) grants +5AC until your next turn as a reaction to being hit by an attack (admittedly, the Trickster loses to the Mastermind here)

(1/2)

And you know what? You can absolutely go against RAW, but that is not the way things should work and it requires at least a modicum of consideration towards your players if you plan to do something like that. What this guy is doing is a bad example because it's easily counterable, but if a player would find something that is actually broken is it so hard to say something like this:

"I understand the rules would make such a thing possible, but in the interest of keeping the game fun for everyone involved and in the spirit of the game I will have to exercise my right as a DM to veto. I'm sorry but I feel we can all agree that is an oversight/abuse of the rules, does everyone else agree?"

But no, some people just throw a bitch fit

Assassin's main things: Assassinate (3rd lvl) and Death Strike (17th level)
Arcane Trickster:
>Sleep spell (3rd lvl) autocrits on the targets you put to sleep (admittedly this doesn't work very well for higher level encounters - sleep dice cast at: 1st level - 5d8 (mean 22.5HP worth of sleep), 2nd level - 7d8(mean 31.5HP worth of sleep), 3rd - 9d8(mean 40.5HP worth of sleep), 4th - 11d8(mean 49.5HP worth of sleep))
>Bestow Curse (14th lvl or 20th lvl if you wish to take Haste instead) to incur a Wisdom saving throw as opposed to Death Strike's con saving throw; on a fail, choose the "do nothing" curse - the creature makes a wisdom saving throw at the start of each turn and on a fail it wastes it action by doing nothing - combine this with Find Familiar Help action and you get up to 10 turns of free sneak attack safe from damage which can hold up to a single turn of quadruple sneak attack safe from damage

(2/2)

Stop it with the fucking bait already

For Ranger's preferred enemy, are hobgoblins and goblins the same? From my limited understanding hobgoblins are just more martial goblins? Would I have to pick each of them separately?

Also- Warlock's invocation Devil's Sight gives Darkvision to 120ft specifically "can see normally". So if I'm in a pitch black cave with no light sources I can see as if it's daylight to 120ft? Does that range trail off like normal vision? Or does the ability to see abruptly end at that range like it's a wall?

>post a genuine analysis of a class's archetypes
>somehow this triggers you
>make a post entirely dedicated to the fact that you've been triggered
Top quality shitposting, friend.