ITT post underappreciated settings of all kinds

ITT post underappreciated settings of all kinds

Numenera. Not even kidding.

Sheeeeeeeit i remember thus being pretty cool

Necromancer paladins, runic magic, sapient paper gliders and other good shit. Yeah, Nix knows how to do some damn fine worldbuilding and cosmology.

Not terribly fond of the bloodlines=magic feature though.
You could be a hugely powerful Charter Mage with vast knowledge of marks, but if you weren't born into one of the Clayr/Abhorsen/Royal bloodlines you're just never going to cast marks from those great charters ever.
It works for a story, but as soon as you worldbuild from other perspectives it's kind of shitty.

I have all 3 books. Finished one, stopped a quarter into the second, and it left me with a bad impression of it all.

Honestly didn't like it at all.

Do I have shit taste Veeky Forums? Should I give it a second chance?

The Old Kingdom is such a cool setting. I wish there was an RPG which figured out how to make a charter magic-esque casting system actually work. I tried making a rune/symbol based casting 'language' once in a game, but it was a mechanical nightmare to make it work.

I didn't much like it either, just didn't click with me.

Nah is cool. The characters are a little bland and plot isn't anything to write home about. I really only like them for the setting.

The motherfucking Incal.

It's been a really long time since I read them, but I recall that Lirael was sort of a reboot with a new main character that I thought was much better. But this was over a decade ago and I'm not sure that 12 year old me had decent taste.

I fucking love Sabriel. Makes me want to play that setting.

I tried my hand at mixing ideas from Fallen London, Abhorsen series, and Sandman.

I've also tried Paranoia Agent as a core theme idea. That went weird.

The most underrated.

I don't know man, i thought those books were kinda shit, though the idea was interesting i will admit. Did they get better later on?

I will freely admit I blatantly stole a LOT of it for when I ran 4e.

I played the Raven Queen's followers very close to the Abhorson ideas. Yes, they use dark magic and necromancy. No, they are using it to help keep the natural order of death flowing.

Mogget was awesome but the Disreputable Dog was not as Disreputable as I was lead to believe

muh french school mangos

Nah, man, fuck the story: just open the God damn appendix in the back and you have a hell of a setting.

But yeah, 2nd book was prolly best.

I love it when fantasy novels have nice appendices. I remember Diane Wynne Jones' Dalemark Quartet, of which is a part, having a good one, full of interesting tidbits about various parts of the setting, legends associated with prominent characters, and descriptions of events which, while not important to the story, did wonders for developing the setting.

The first world war. The clash of empires, the wide range of possible tones - from the "knights of the sky" to the grim, gritty realism that is so pervasive today - the far-ranging adventure spanning every corner of the globe...the first world war is seriously underrated.

(to be played with Death Grips among the soundtrack selection)

It's not that bad considering that bloodlines can spread out. In the Clariel prequel there's an entire village of Abhorsens, not to mention the Clayr.

Of course the spreading didn't happen much in that setting, but it wouldn't be that hard to pull off a more fair bloodline magic system.

It makes for a great Dark Heresy campaign.
Remplacing the cybo-cops by arbitrators may be tricky, but otherwise it writes itself, and most factions and struggles of 40k are already here.

Perfect, isn't it?

I am currently planning a Dorohedoro campaign in slightly modified Don't Rest Your Head. Amazing series, amazing setting.

Maybe I just read the first one at the wrong time, but even the worldbuilding felt really flat and uninteresting to me- other than the gimmick of 'main character is just a schmuck who has to walk a scary highway lighting lamps' it felt like generic pseudo-Germanic fantasy.

Might just be because I hated the amount of made-up words that were just dumped all over me, so I never went beyond the first.

That said, this is my pick so I'm clearly not super highbrow.

Nah, Sabriel was the best one but Abhorsen did some amazing world-building.

I found that to be extremely interesting. The first one was meh but Lamplighter and Factotum were quite interesting. Of course, Rosamund being a Rossamunderling wasn't that big a twist when you were aware of all the signs in the first book. That world-building is amazing though.

Broken Sky. Fucking amazing series. It was weeb as fuck but it had all the things you want - creative bug-monsters, cool powers that followed their own rules, a great world, fucking kaiju, steam tanks...

If you can find it, read it.

This thread made me remember these books. Loved them as a kid. I think The Edge would make a great setting.

I want to figure out how to combine Abhorsen, Dark Souls, and maybe Berserk into a setting. Maybe whenever undead die they can walk out of death on their own, but the farther they go into death the more hollow they are when they return.

Good shit, good shit. I love dreamy consciousness magic.

>edge chronicles
mah nigga

Those books were fucken insane, now that I think back on them. I sort of remember them like a washed out nightmare that's faded from memory. Someone mentioned them in another thread a while back and I started a conversation with my players and we were talking about all the batshit insane stuff from it for a while, like the Twilight Forest and the Toe-Stealer and the shrikes (and pretty much everything else in the deep woods, fuck that place) and jesus christ, that horrible glister demon experiment.