Why are d20 systems the worst systems?

Why are d20 systems the worst systems?

It's not even close to the worst. The Palladium/Rifts system for instant is both clunkier and has even more imbalanced. It's just that d20 is everywhere. So anyone who doesn't like it can't escape it, and ends up hating it.

Because D&D caters to too many people wanting everything to be jammed into one system that was never intended for most of the shit people run it for.

It's designed by committee for a product that was only meant to do one thing, these choices affect almost every in every game that uses the d20 system, and the ones that don't suffer from the d20 systems problems are so far removed from it that it would have been easier to start from scratch.

>i literally can't stop shitposting and need medical assistance

Could be GURPS or Rifts. Especially Rifts, that system's a clusterfuck and a half.

I enjoy them. Why shouldn't I?

OGL influence, mostly. They're largely spawned from one really shit system; it's just genetics.

Because it's WRONGBADFUN, and we can't have that. You're only allowed to play systems that are arbitrarily deemed "good," not ones you consider "fun."

>please, someone, just pull the plug, I want to die

I mean, now there's a new OGL based on a not-awful system, even if it's still far from great. Maybe that'll help the new market.

ITT: People circle-jerking on how much they hate a particular system, and calling anyone who disagrees or tries to have an actual conversation "Uncultured swine."

>please, someone just kill me, my shitposting won't stop otherwise

It's okay, user. Medically assisted suicide is legal. It won't hurt you.

Uh, yeah, suicide will generally kinda-sorta fatally hurt you.

This. I think the bad reputation that D20 earned comes from the flood of low-quality adaptations of various games in early 2000s. Everyone was trying to convert their game to D20 thanks to the OGL, even if they failed to understand how and why the system works.

OGL helped flood the market with low quality games using the D20 system. its flaws and limitations were exposed and it bred a "we only need one system mentality", even though D20 is not the ideal system for many types of games and there are better universal systems.

tldr: familiarity breeds contempt

I'm really not a fan of the high variance a d20 provides. Especially when DCs are largely arbitrary.
I think I much prefer dice pools, or any other method that creates more of a bell curve in probabilities.
And skill checks are just the worst in d20. This whole pass/fail binary, which are your -only- roleplay mechanics, usually.

Hell, 4e started to recognize this, and some abilities still did things on a miss. Of course, bothe it and 5e have terrible problems with bounded accuracy, meaning you never -actually- get better at something.. especially if your GM forgets that things 'beneath you' are auto-successes.

Because the Dice Gods are merciless bastards on a good day.

Whats the best system?

Whatever fits what you want to do to a T and can be run well without ignoring a single rule.

[insert your favorite system here]

>Of course, bothe it and 5e have terrible problems with bounded accuracy, meaning you never -actually- get better at something

Huh? Beating up the same dude at various levels in 4e gets a lot easier as you scale at 1/2 level even outside stat and weapon improvements.

Stop posting anytime

No one said this though. Why do you assume that anyone who criticises something you like personally resents you for liking it?