What kind of things do you wish your GM's did?

What kind of things do you wish your GM's did?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Exist.
Forever GMing sucks after a while.

More magical realm

Better quality-control of the players he lets into his game.

I'm going to run a short dnd campaign soon and I'm going to consider a whole bunch of different players, if you're interested drop me some contact info and I'll hit you up when I finish preparing it.

Not drink while GMing
getting really fucking tired of him quitting two hours into the session because he got so drunk he can't function as GM anymore.

This

Provided coasters. I leave feeling so dirty

GMed

inb4 you must be doing it wrong dming is best thing
No. It isn't best thing. Not when it's only thing. Whenever I ask somebody else to GM they always um and ah about it like it's some really intimidating thing, or they're nervous they'll fuck it up. I don't care/ Just somebody else fucking GM for once, even if it's shit, fucking do it.

Exercise Rule Zero, and put an end to the ceaseless player shenanigans. Just for fucking once I'd like to play a 'serious' game, rather than the midget-gadgeteer power hour. If for no other reason than it 'enables' players into shit habits that they bring into the games I run.

Hosting sessions and providing rides for the other players.

Not be a care bear.

As a DM myself, this is what I wish I had

user I will do this for you

my vote is being a super hot female and fondling my shaft during game play

I wish he'd GM

I wish my GM didn't get distracted after 30 minutes of playing and want everyone to play Smash Bros with him instead.

I wish the other players in my group didn't also prefer to play vidya every time instead of the game we all got together to play.

All players have to do is roll up on the night and have fun.
Players don't seem to understand that being DM on the night is only maybe 20% of the effort a DM puts in

DMing can be the best thing in the world but Forever DMing gets old real quick

Short Version: I wish my GM would be consistent on his policy towards Roleplaying.

Long Version
Roleplaying or acting in character is essentially pointless, as every single social interaction comes down to a skill check, except designated roleplaying points which are explicitly designed to make us look like idiots.
You want to achieve anything social you need to roll Diplomacy, Bluff, or Intimidate. There's no point trying to roleplay conversations, since doing so will just waste time until he eventually says "roll diplomacy". By itself, this wouldn't be so bad. If we're rollplaying then at least I know and I can go along with. But, when the scenario arises to make us, as players, look stupid, that's when roleplaying is enforced.
For instance, my character has the ability to sing. I, personally, cannot sing worth a damn, but the GM insists that all in-character singing must be done by the player. I say, "Well, I found this youtube video which is basically what my character will sing, can I just play that?". Nope, says the GM, you have to sing it aloud. This exists for no other reason than to make me look foolish or otherwise force me to not use part of my character, which is particularly irritating as I was not made aware of this until a few sessions into the campaign, after the GM had approved the character.
Earlier in the campaign, the PC's had been invited to take part in a play, and the GM then demanded we write our lines for the play which we would then act out. He gave us the length of his smoke break to write a brief script for a play which we had been given only basic information about, and then had to act out. None of us could act, and we made a total hash of it. Could we just roll diplomacy to salvage the situation? No. How about Perform (Act)? Nope. Apparently, because we, as players, are bad actors, that means the crowd now hates us and we are run out of town for ruining their big festival, even though our characters are supposed to be charismatic.

actually show up to the game. ;_;

>had a better understanding of spell rules/timing
>used a battle mat for combat, to better keep track of crunch
>actually told an interesting story as it happens. Sure the end result is kinda cool, but mid and late sessions are a slog
>drank more! He's boring sober and has an inhuman energy when three sheets to the wind.
>actually used PC backgrounds in a meaningful way
>decided to run something other than low power fantasy

This is my current wish list.
I'm the GM

I agree with your sentiment but I think the problem lies less with your GM's predisposition for play-acting and more from trying to get DnD(or the equivalent) to do social scenes well. If you are relying on just die rolls to determine the outcome of social interactions naturally actual roleplaying in the scene will seem pointless.

The year old discussion between rollplay and roleplay.
I personally prefer roleplay, but to act out singing is going a bit over the top.

Couldn't agree more. I mean I would become Daniel Day Lewis when it's come to rp if it's that kind of a game and would have immense fun no matter the situation. But when it's not even a half serious game considering the other players rp or the lack thereof and he outwright punishes an act which I put a lot of thought and skill checks into (relative to the other players) just because he decided to make us look stupid in that particular moment and blow it all to my face, saying something like you didn't think this minor thing and all that effort was for nothing and btw you now look pretty stupid in front of a group you lead because I decided to nitpick your rp and no dice you ever roll will change the result

>act out singing is going a bit over the top.

I agree. My point was simply that the GM is using a system that mechanically doesn't make social scenes interesting. So why bother with all the chitchat when you are going to base failure/success on a die roll anyway.

>Care about the rest of the party and not the edgy rogue, Gary Stu character
>Stop going for bullshit gimmicks like Damsels in Distress or Town Defense from X because it's the just thing to do
>Stop buffing the new guys that don't know what the fuck they are doing / nerfing the people who know how to play

I swear to fucking god, I get cursed because I used blunt weapons against reanimated skellingtons (like a fucking braindead moron could figure that out) but the rogue who skewered the undead Minotaur 500 fucking times gets a +1 Weapon with 2 upsides and no downside?

Seriously, it's such a fucking joke.

This is why I waive the roll if the lie/speech/whatever is good enough. Gives them incentive to actually come up with something convincing, without screwing the guy who can't rp for shit. If it's gonna be close, I'll give them extra dice for the effort of coming up with something believable.

This is part of why I'm getting into GM'ing. Started running a short game for my current GM and one of the other players, and it was nice to hear him say, "I'm just so excited. I never get to just play!"

youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA
I just want to have a session where we roll dice while hurtling around corners sideways at frankly unsafe speeds, is that so much to ask?

Seriously though I wish he'd use more music or at least more appropriate music to scene or simply overall session themes.

Stopped making interesting encounters into one off jokes for ironys sake

He laughs whenever he makes something interesting into something mundane. I cry

I too am a forever Dm. I wish one of my players would take initiative and run something. I dont even care if its not d&d. I just want someone to run a game for once.

Sort of wish he'd stop treating me like a piece of porcelain that needs to squeeze into his story without getting beat up

I run a game like this, pretty cash.

Reward bonuses for roleplay.

>drank more!
Then do it you pussy! I'm going to try that next session and see if it helps with my piss-poor DMing any bit.

My current gaming group are all dweebs who have either never had a drink or quit drinking/smoking for reasons.
Shit sucks.