Kings of War General

Kings of War General thread. Feel free to ask questions or tell about what you're working on.

I working on a new Basilean army, what does Veeky Forums think?

Elohi Regiment
Paladin Foot Guard Regiment
Paladin Foot Guard Regiment
Paladin Knights Regiment
Men-at-Arms with spears Regiment
Sisterhood Infantry Regiment

Crossbowmen Troop
Sisterhood Lancers Troop
Sisterhood Lancers Troop

Bearer of the Holy Icon
Bearer of the Holy Icon
Priest with Bane Chant

1500 Pts

Other urls found in this thread:

puggimer.net/documents/KOW_Ref_2-0.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/meedbza42sp4m/Kings_of_War
manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/KINGS OF WAR/KoW FAQ and Errata 290915.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=RPUDhlq2bxk
youtu.be/9HNns_tDvCU
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QBfREAWucgTPeoEhXxO3fqDU141IQw7Ajgp71m5cizs/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Been a long time since I've seen one of these.

Condensed rules:
puggimer.net/documents/KOW_Ref_2-0.pdf
Books:
mediafire.com/folder/meedbza42sp4m/Kings_of_War
Errata:
manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/KINGS OF WAR/KoW FAQ and Errata 290915.pdf

Recommended list builder:
kow2.easyarmy.com
Hit "PDF" at the top right for easy posting of your lists
Includes relevant special rules on the last page.

Bump

What did ever happen to the Veeky Forums homebrew for Kings of War?

Progress stopped at the point of playtesting.

I do kind of miss that bird-slaver army based on the skeksis.

I dunno, we had a healthy KoW population than did tonnes of things and with time we all started drifting.
>Tfw no more Iron elfs or Waste pirates.

I've played about 30-40 games of KoW. The more I play the more I am persuaded that having the slower army is a real problem unless it has good shooting. It's hard to overstate how important it is to be able to choose the engagements.

Do you think any army is too OP user? Or any unbalanecd units?

I don't know about OP, but Elves are relatively easy to play. 3+ to hit with Elite and high speed across the board is very forgiving.

Flyers need to be taken down a pinch. There were previous suggestions that a unit should lose the fly rule as long as it is disordered so that it can not simply hop to another vulnerable unit after taking damage. I think it's a great suggestions and it was considered for official KoW tournament errate that's on the way, but I think it was eventually rejected.

Also def6 flying individuals.

Anyone is using homebrew rules for they armies? Like more spells or extra options for units and heroes.

I'm about here and there. My local community just ended up not being big enough for real play testing so I kinda stalled out on the bird men and the Elves.

Finished a Sons of Korgaan regiment recently.

Although, since taking the picture I have added snow effects to the base and it looks far better.

From the South Lands come 'Kangz of war n' shit'.

Nice ilumination bro. I can't paint for shit but it seems a tight job.

Thanks Man.

Here is my cavern dweller.

The upcoming tournament pack will have fliers losing the "fly" rule when disordered

Is it? Joyous news.

Individuals only score half their points in scenarios like invade as well? I thought that was a great suggestion.

And King on Manticore (Chimera).

Off the top of my head, the changes in the tournament pack:
fliers lose fly when disordered
individuals are worth half points in invade and dominate
bane chant requires 2 successes to grant piercing
Pharos are defence 5
limit 3 of the same hero/monster/warmachine

>unbalanced units
So far the ogres shooters taken as a horde as an ally have left me a really striking impression, and a rather sore butt because it can make a whole flank a totally unpassable area. The Herd as a whole is really hard-hitting too.

Right now I'm tinkering with what I can do with the KoM army, especially a knight horde backed by a banner and a mage.

Nice one, being eye-less does it for him, he looks badass. Any news about more rule pimping with units?

I really wish you could pimp the monster for KoM, so many things you could do with it...

I just can't be bothered to paint more 28mm guys up, its such a pain.

I feel kinda guilty for using it only as a stand-in for my steam tank tho.

>Not amassing 15mm or even 6mm minis to make true hordes.
The game let's you, and they are far easier to paint. The only but is than not many people play with minor scales for fantasy.

I have used KoM knight horde and I only have good things to say about them. But they need lot of support and pathfinder is a must.

I'm waiting for my new minis right now,

I'm okay with all those, except warmachines. I mean, its understandable as many factions have OP warmachines (elves cof cof). But lot of other faction need at least 4 to be useful in battle.

youtube.com/watch?v=RPUDhlq2bxk

Beasts of War battle report.

Warning: Contains Beasts of War and associated Norn Ironisms.

What faction needs 4 of the same warmachine? Even Undead with be happy with 3 catapults.

KoM. Using 3 still means they may do nothing the entire battle.

I have always invested 3-4 warmachines (if I go warmachine heavy) to see results on the battlefield. By restricting to 3 I would prefer not to focus on warmachines as 3 still means I could end up with useless shooting.

WIP of my undead. Main inspirations were that swirly ghosts look sweet as heck, and I wanted an army that I could get to tabletop standard pretty quickly and easily. Never actually had an entire army painted up for a game of anything before (only played 40k when I was 13 or so and didn't have the attention span for it). This should give me something nice to play with while I work on my Varangur and Ogres.

WIP of my undead. Main inspirations were that swirly ghosts look sweet as heck, and I wanted an army that I could get to tabletop standard pretty quickly and easily. Never actually had an entire army painted up for a game of anything before (only played 40k when I was 13 or so and didn't have the attention span for it). This should give me something nice to play with while I work on my Varangur and Ogres.

And the list, if anyone cares enough.

3 shots a turn, with each hitting on a 5+ is astronomically unlikely to "do nothing" over a 6 turn game. I guess if they get taken out turn 2 then perhaps, but that'd be a problem with -any- artillery.

Even 6+ to hit warmachines (are there any of those?) are pretty much certain to achieve something over 6 turns.

How do you do the scars? Sick work man. I only wish that my manticore came out like that.

I like the conversion on the bottom left. I would recommend drybrushing the ghosts and such white, and maybe glazing with a light green or even day-glo to make them look nicer. You could look at the Nightstalkers list and see if that works, as that army is almost entirely focused around spirits, ghosts, living nightmares, and the like, with less shambling holding you back too.

I think the flyer thing makes a lot of sense from a fluff POV too- a whole unit suddenly disengaging and flying off without any negative consequences is just a little silly.

I'm astronomically unlucky then. Yes, on paper it sounds good 3 shots each turn on 5+ is not bad, but on the practice you always end up with dumb rolls, from rolling constantly 1s to the opposite.

What are you using as wights?

The large ghosts. They are 2 water elementals from Descent, a reaper bones fire elemental, and Kingdom Death's The Watcher. Going to have some of the official Mantic wights, too- they're in the mail.

Is it possible to have these threads once a week? Let's say Kings of War Saturday for instance? That might stop these threads from always dying and no one picking them back up.

They actually look pretty cool, I really like the LoTR ghost like color.

We could try, I Really like the game, but Mantic isn't puting enough efforts to make it big too. It's really a shame, with a bit of money injected in it they could do awesome things (like books or comics forpresenting the setting).

Don't expect anything soon. They've got everyone working on Warpath's release.

Empire of Dust concept art.

Developing the setting would be nice. They put a lot into the dossiers and the tie in novel for Warpath/Deadzone which has helped flesh out the setting, while only a couple of short stories have been put out for Kings. Otherwise the rules are in good shape and they are spitting out models at a decent rate. I guess there is just more money in Sci-Fi games.

I feel like I'm in the minority in not giving a shit about the setting at all. I'd rather have very little story, really. I'm perfectly happy to tell my own stories through play and campaigns with my friends, rather than having a company dictate it to me.

Same. I like the your dudes capabilities that the thing offers. I can essentially make up my own faction within one of the 21 army lists, use any models I want from the obscene amount of companies who make fantasy and pre-modern historicals, and go to town without worrying about lore rape. I like that I can finally use my Confrontation figures again in a system that is actually supported.

Myself and a friend actually played out a few battles between the races of the homebrew D&D setting we play in. Lizardmen that summon demons, imperialist human invaders, elves that use dark magic to maintain their beauty and corrupted the forests.
The one thing I don't like about KoW is the faction alignments- it's the only rule that's fluffy rather than functional, and forbids the Lizard/demon alliance. Obviously we went for it anyway, as it was just between friends for fluffy reasons.

Technically it is listed as an optional rule, so for your own fluff discarding it is fine. It isn't even enforced at some tournaments. Their team matches at Adepticon didn't take into account that rule at all. I agree that homebrewing your own thing is the most fun way to do it.

Reading through the new book, it looks like the Trident force could put my Wrath of Kings Hadross minis to use. Too bad about that game; could've been a real beer-n-pretzels affair but there just is no competitiveness to it with the asymmetrical objectives.

I bought a Hadross set myself ($18 on Ebay, feel like I cheated someone) and am looking to do the same. They are a great option for doing a Trident Realms force. You can use the deepmen for a couple of units, and of course the leaders as hero models. Get some more troops and some of the official Naiads for the bulk infantry, some bigger monsters from Reaper(They have a good Kraken and some Thuul who make great Deep Ones) with some more figures from CMoN and Deepwars, and you are set.

I feel the same way about Wrath of Kings myself. While the game it succeeds wasn't the best mechanically, they could have made a better effort in some departments to really be the better game.

It does say
>3 of the SAME warmachine
You can still run multiple warmachines if your army of choice has more than one option. Dearves could run 3 cannons and 3 organ guns if they wanted and still meet the rules.

What's the 50%+1 rule I heard about minis on bases? In an infantry regiment I'd only need 11 guys on the base to make a nicer scenic base? Or is that a load of horseshit I heard from a friend who doesn't want to pay for models?

To have a regiment, have at least as many models as the iteration below it +1. Technically you can have a regiment (20 models) with only 11 models if you are multibasing or have lots of filler. I find it in better taste to have at least 16, but you are definitely allowed to have a lower amount as your friend said. There is no individual model removal so multibasing and dioramas is A-OK.

>forbids the Lizard/demon alliance
Aren't Salamanders neutral? They can ally with Abyssals. Unless you're fluffing a different army as Lizardmen.

Afraid not, Salamanders are good.

Their fire burns bright and pure to battle the darkness or some such nonsense.

That is a great idea and I can't believe that I haven't heard it suggested before.

I just followed this tutorial.

youtu.be/9HNns_tDvCU

Where do you buy 6mm fantasy?

Salamanders are Good, but Forces of Nature are Neutral, and that includes a few Salamander units. So you can do a Salamander / Abyssal alliance that way.

Bacchus Miniatures and Rapier Miniatures have some. Microworld Games have a wide range and great sculpts.

Thanks

Yeah, warzone had those nice things, while the fantasy part is meh with very tipical high fantasy shit. In the other hand you can do nearly anything, but I like to base my armies in the setting (like my Valentian renegades than go north for riches and whores, in tipical Tercio, medieval Spain and even Iberians units there and here), plus talking about fluff is a good way to get people hooked to the game.

Is wrath of kings death? I really like they minis and the novelle was top tier. The masked ones could do well as varangians.

After I heard that GW are bringing back LotR I dug out my old metal helms deep elves and have started painting & basing for KoW (display bases are fun).

What's a decent army composition for Elves? Thinking a regiment of Archers supported by troops of Palace Guard to start with.

IF you are new a balanced army with all the units kinds isn't bad idea to familiarize with the system. Elfs being elite are a very good in general, great shooters and have options very goodf options with flying units than are the hardest kind to counter. It also depends of your oponent, vs the Herd shooters heavy isn't that a bad idea because the fuckers are fast and strike hard, but aren't that tough.

The 'classic cheese' for elves is Horde of archers, mage with bane chant, 3+ ballista, a horde of Drakon riders, then enough melee chumps to hold them off while all that stuff murders everything.
I say cheese but it's not as cheesy as what you may be used to- the game's relatively decently balanced, and even the 'cheese' strats have counters.

Are Seaguard any good? Plain old spear phalanxes don't seem to offer much (archers are just as well-armoured).

How about mounted archers?

Phalanx removes thunderous charge, though. That pretty much makes charging them with cavalry completely futile.
I personally don't like mixed-role units all that much- you pay the points for both, but can only be using one of those functions at a time.

>That makes charging them with cavalry completely futile

A regiment of bog-standard knights with At 16 and Me 3+ will average 5.3 damage against a unit with def 4. If the cav had crushing strength, like Abyssal Dwarf, Varangur, Salamander or Orc cav does, that goes up to 7.1 damage.

Against 14/16 nerve (which a regiment of sea guard have) the bog standard knights has a 10/36 chance to at least waver, which is not great. The CS knights have a 21/36 chance to at least waver, which is nothing to sniff at. Doesn't take account of inspiring though.

Also, the Kings of Math damage calculator is something everyone should use. In fact, it should go in the OP.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QBfREAWucgTPeoEhXxO3fqDU141IQw7Ajgp71m5cizs/edit#gid=0

Fishbat here, I'll be doing an army review of Ogres with Direct Misfire in the coming weeks.

Anyone have some good opinions on Ogres that you think would benefit the community?

Also I'm chuffed to see a Kings of War thread here again.

The writing is good stuff. I legitimately felt bad for the MC of the Hadross short story. You probably won't find many people playing in clubs and stores and the like, but they still release new stuff(Two player starter just came out). Then again they still release new models for Rune Knights. The sculpts are done by a lot of the same guys who did Confrontations figures, so you can see a lot of those interesting designs carried over. A Nasier starter box and some vikings and barbarians from another source would probably be a good way to start a Varangur or Abyssal army.

Thanks for the advice. I usually go with phalanx whenever I can for extra speedbumps. Will look at the calculator.

I was thinking about making Varangians, but vikings (again) isn't for me. I would go for Injuns warriors truth be told, and lots of masks (to represent the differents aspects of the neckbeard god. Shame I can't find tlingit minis, they would do very well.

I painted some Dungeon Saga minis and props last week. The details are pretty rubbish, but I like the composition. I hope this is not the material that Mantic intends to replace the restic formula.

Tlingits are the greatest. Sad that no one has jumped on to that yet. There just aren't enough major conflicts area to justify making plastics ones I suppose. You can always get the Warlord/Wargames Factory injuns.

That is only for their board games. Their rank and file are hard plastic and the others are metal, with resin on rare occasion.

I remember that they mentioned in the Warpath kickstarter that they intended to switch to some kind of boardgame plastic for a lot of the special models.

Well, Northstar games apparently intend to release hard plastic barbarians for Frostgrave in November.

Well with the Deadzone starter they put out, everything is sprued hard plastic. I think that they are referring to their older pre assembled figures that come with the board games, which should be the same board game material as the others. That is what they did for the original Deadzone. They do use the board game plastic for a couple of models like the Abyssal Dragon and Elf Dragon rider.

Price wise what's the damage on setting up a basic KoW force? States, if the standard point-values vary.

It really depends on what you want to use as minis, which army, and what kind of army (elite/horde, etc)

If you just want to test the rules and see if it will be worth your investment, you can cut out cardboard rectangles of the appropriate size and label them.

You can get a ~1500 point army for under US$200 if you get the mantic army deals. And that's if you use 1:1 with figures, if you use 50%+1 miniatures to represent your units you can stretch that to over 2000 points.

2000 Points is standard for play but KoW is still great at 1500 and playable down to 1000 points.

I don't remember that update.

With one if the starter sets and a couple of blisters for heroes, you will probably set yourself back a bit beneath $100 for a viable 1000 point army. That depends on the faction of course. If you use a 20% discounter and Reaper bones blisters then you can easily stay right below $70. Despite how cheap individually the figures are, you need a lot of them compared to your average 28mm skirmish game.

Using mantic starting armies like the undead mega army (than is like 130 euros), and adding some minis,like heroes, warmachines or cavalry along 150-250 euros I would say for a 1500-2000 points army. Vampire lords are very powerful but they are a good chunk of any army too.

The 50% + 1 is still just a guideline, as long as your units look fairly full for the size of the base only an autist would take offence.

The worst looking armies are those that rank up a full 20 guys for every regiment.

Kangz of war

Glad to see people in the spirit with the upcoming Egyptian themed armies

We have any info about the release? I really liked the Stargate vibe of them.

kys

hilarious

We have the upcoming Kingdom of Dust figures which should generally match up with the Tomb Kings line. There may even be an actual model for the Hierotitan equivalent. There is also the upcoming list for Ophidians (Probably not like the Rackham Ophidians, but we will see) who are neutral aligned Egyptian necromancers who have living troops and demons available as well.

Any word on the Northern Alliance or new Twilight Kin list? I thought they were supposed to come out with the Ophidians.

They are both coming with Ophidians. The new Twilight Kin are more elf supremacist than the current ones who are just Dark Elves living in caves and hanging out with demons. I am entirely out of the loop with the Northern Alliance, though I am glad to see more varied human factions. Judging by their name, I might actually be able to use my Yheetees again.

Oooh, Living Egyptian models will be nice.

>The new Twilight Kin are more elf supremacist than the current ones who are just Dark Elves living in caves and hanging out with demons.
I hope they don't ending up overlapping with Abyssal Dwarves too much. We don't need two fantasy Nazi races.

I would just be fine if they completely ripped off the Morrowind Dunmer.

>neutral aligned Egyptian
I protest, my Ophidians are straight-out evil AND spooky.