MTG Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Next MTG Purchase?

GP Charlotte and GP Los Angeles this weekend.

Thoughts on the current Modern Metagame?
(picture below)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VQRiO1ihcQA
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-04-16-CET-spirit-tribal/
deckbox.org/sets/1414331
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Up to date Modern Metagame.

>playing?
Naya Burn
>Brewing?
Trying to create a super aggro dredgevine deck
>Next mtg purchase?
Probably some stuff for dredgevine

>D&T tier 2
>Hatebwars tier 3

Why? It's the same damn deck.

>Storm
>tier 3

nigga we made it

Sorta but not quite.

For starters D&T has more reliance on blinking and flicker effects than hatebears does.

AMERICA TIER 1 WE DID IT

WE DID IT EVERYBODY

WE DID IT

I know that my deck is no way competitive...
but should I replace bloodsoaked champ with diregraf captain?

1x Blood Crypt
1x Crumbling Necropolis
5x Island
5x Mountain
2x Polluted Delta
8x Swamp
1x Temple of Deceit
1x Watery Grave
1x Cyclonic Rift
2x Doom Blade
2x Stubborn Denial
4x Bloodsoaked Champion
2x Consuming Aberration
3x Grave Titan
4x Indulgent Tormentor
4x Liliana's Reaver
3x Nightveil Specter
2x Dreadbore
3x Rakdos's Return
2x Sleight of Hand
3x Thoughtseize
2x Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
1x Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Abzan, Elves, Eldrazi and Titanshift have the most interesting day 2% compared to the Adjusted Overall Metagame. What's also highly interesting is RG Tron going to an astounding 9.7% day 2 percentages.

If you're going to go with Diregraf captain then you may as well go full zombie. There's a shitload of zombie lords that are modern legal. They're also mostly 3cmc or less(Hint: Collected Company)

yea, you're right. thanks

>playing?
Kiki chord
>brewing?
Nothing, deck is solid
>next mtg purchase?
Engineered explosive for the sideboard

>>Playing?
AMERICA, also naya burn on modo because fuck playing the same deck all the time.

>>Brewing?
no brews, only clapping now

>>Next MTG Purchase?
Rule of Law for D&T i guess? Not modern related but you asked.

Anyone going to Charlotte for the first time make sure you hit up Cookout and get some Cheerwine while you're down there.
Anyone going to LA... ha ha, now you're in California.

Pic related. California: Not even once.

Honestly brew up some Modern zombies, give it a go. You're in it to just dick around, play some MTG and see if you can do something right?

Hey I played Possibility Storm Combo as well just to use Zoetic Caverns into Emrakul.

>Playing?
Grixis Delver

>Brewing?
Better Grixis Control/Midrange. It's tough but I wanna make it work smoother

>Next MTG Purchase?
Unsure of yet. I'm waiting for Nahiri Jeskai to fail so I can laugh at people at the LGS that bought her at her current price

>Zombies
>In Modern

DID SOMEONE SAY ZOMBIE HUNT?

this is the spike thread, so no. nobody said zombie hunt.

>Unironically using the term spike

That's really embarrassing user.

Prove you aren't a retard and post your Nahiris.

Guess I'm a retard.

I'm just about done with this game.

Contraptions confirmed in Kaladesh

And here I was hoping to be competitive at the GP with Tooth and Nail.

>he didn't buy his set years ago

>people buying $7 joke cards
Better get you copies of Blacker Lotus too

I'm not super knowledgeable on the mtg market because I'm just starting to move from kitchen table to standard/modern, so what's the most cost-effective and fun thing to play in modern right now?

also, I have a BFZ fatpack sitting around. Should I open it or should I sit on it and wait for it to accrue value?

Hilarious

Burn and Infect are cost effective, but I don't think they're fun. Decks that are fun to play costs at least $600.

>I have a BFZ fatpack sitting around. Should I open it or should I sit on it and wait for it to accrue value?

Everyone and their dog is hoarding full art lands and it's highly unlikely there's a good expedition inside. It probably won't end up being worth shit.

yeah, I figured that would be the case.

anyone else have any insight? I don't want to just go off one person's opinion, and if everyone who's playing now has a bunch of full art how likely is it that new players will want them?

I would have bought 4 Nahiris when she was 10 dollars but I dont play red white.

I'm just going off the logic that people took original zendikar for granted and regretted not opening and ordering more of it. I still remember getting an Arid Mesa and Scalding Tarn out of my only fat pack way back then. The market is flooded with BFZ and there's really nothing that outstanding in the set proper. Radiant Flames and Painful Truths are the only cards I've seen played a lot outside of standard. You could always open the fat pack, but keep the full art land pack sealed.

I dont like the full art lands. Sure they look nice but everytime I see someone play one, all I see is a hipster. Take your duel lands and go back to starbux.

Do I buy Lilis to finish Junk sans goofy or buy heirarchs to finish Infect?

Or keep playing affinity?

Here's my new Mardu list. Now that we've seen Nahiri can win games all on her own, that's what I'm going to try. Went less Jund, and more UWR with the list, it's much more control than midrange. It wants to play against creature decks, but it has some play against combo decks with its discard. Any input is welcome
Land (25)
2x Arid Mesa
2x Blood Crypt
4x Bloodstained Mire
2x Dragonskull Summit
1x Godless Shrine
2x Lavaclaw Reaches
2x Mountain
1x Plains
1x Rugged Prairie
3x Sacred Foundry
4x Shambling Vent
1x Swamp
Sorcery (16)
2x Anger of the Gods
2x Dreadbore
2x Inquisition of Kozilek
4x Painful Truths
4x Thoughtseize
2x Wrath of God
Creature (1)
1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Instant (11)
2x Kolaghan's Command
3x Lightning Bolt
4x Lightning Helix
2x Path to Exile
Planeswalker (7)
2x Ajani Vengeant
1x Gideon Jura
4x Nahiri, the Harbinger

Hierarch, it's better to play a complete version of a 80/20 deck than a poor man's 50/50.

Can't wait for it to do nothing. The price will tank harder than Tezzeret.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-04-16-CET-spirit-tribal/

I'm almost finished with my U/W spirit tribal and thinking of Esper, what do you all think?

the art is so bad.
2 blue colors in the border
+ black + brown + red + orange + green WTF wizards how do you let this shit be a promo art ?

For infect is which is better two or three become immense?

They needed more diversity

>4032x3024
>upside down
bruh

If that's actually their reason to remove Tiago, that doesn't make sense since I'm sure there are more niggers than chinks in MTG art at this point.

>Playing
B/W tokens
>Brewing
Lantern control
>Next purchase
Basically every card over 20 $in the deck .

ask any artist and he will rate it with a 2/10 at most

>replacing Asian with a black dude.

I am not really into MTG, i've been working at a traditional games shop for a while and am asked regularly if I can teach them how to play. I play every so often, I mean, if people want to test decks, they lend me a spare one to try.

Anyway, I finally decided to get a deck to help teach people to play. I bought the Ongoing Investigations starter, so what are some good cards to add/take out to make it good?

pathetic and clear rasism

Probably would want to ask the standard thread. Starter decks usually have pretty much 0 playable cards in modern.

I rate it stolemybike/10.

Yes, and while you're at it replace pretty much everything else

Hey! Are there any Hulk Footsteps guys here, I'm buying into the deck soon and needed some help from experienced players.

I used to play grixis breechless, whats your list?

It's a U-Jund Breechless (Because poor)
deckbox.org/sets/1414331
Treasured find is shit, I know I'm replace it, I just don't know with what yet.

>I know I'm replace it
My English is shit, I tell ya hwat.

here is your (you) you Untermensch
now back to tumblr you little sissy

Im not sure why people are complaining about the new Snapcaster. It gives you the ability to steal spells from your opponents graveyard, which can really shore up the Jeskai vs BGx matchup.

Because its a trace of a basketball player from an nba game.

Infect can give you free wins sometimes, but it's very skill intensive. It can give you every interesting games I would recommend it.

> havent played Modern MtG since Dicember 2012 cause of studying abroad.
> by that time, Jund was the unbeatable deck of the moment while Infect was at most a Tier 2 meme deck.
>2016
>infect is one of the top Tier 1 decks

Disgusting

What the fuck happened after all these years? (apart that my deathrite shamans are fucking useless now).

who /lgs_closed/ here

:(

Why did you only buy singles user? Why did you buy cards online user????? YOU KILLED THEM user

I KNOW I'M SO SORRY

>mardu
my nigga

sick australian bordered detention sphere

If I want to play modern, is there even a point in trying to build my own deck or do I just go online and use some $500+ list if I ever want to get a chance of winning?

It's not the price that baffles me, is the fact that everyone literally plays the same two dozens decks.

More people getting into modern that can't afford anything other than Burn and Infect.
Jund is still #1 right now, but not everyone can afford it

Tiago was a dick, and this has been standard practice since they reprinted Pikula. Bob, Olle and Finkel have all had the same treatment

Modern is not a brewer's format. Unless you don't mind losing for a while (read months) while you suss out card numbers and sideboard options and optimal builds (oh and you're REALLY good at the game and the format) then i do not suggest trying your own build in modern.

Are we posting mardu lists?

4 Wall of Omens
4 Kitchen Finks
3 Restoration Angel

2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Path to Exile
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Lightning Helix
2 Terminate
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Painful Truths
4 Lingering Souls
1 Thoughtseize

4 Marsh Flats
3 Arid Mesa
2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Godless Shrine
2 Sacred Foundry
1 Blood Crypt
2 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Shambling Vent
2 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Fetid Heath
1 Rugged Prairie

Only problem I've been having is the manabase. It's hard to have a primarily white deck that also wants to cast inquisition on turn 1. Blackcleave cliffs can't shore up the gaps. Any solutions?

> Playing
UWR Control, been playing it for years. Don't care if it's bad, it's what I love
> Brewing
Testing the UWR Nahiri deck, tweaking it to fit my playstyle and the local meta
> Next Purchase
I don't purchase cards often, I usually just buy specs.

I see. Thank you. Then I suppose I might look into some budget legacy instead. Or just keep playing standard/commander.

>Playing
RG Titanshift and Ad Nauseam
>Brewing
I brew in my head all the time. I'd never buy those steaming piles of shit though.
>Next MTG Purchase
Maybe RG eldrazi. Grove might get reprinted in eternal masters.

African Jew here. How do I steal enough cards to afford playing Modern?

Step one: Tie a noose

Step two: Kill yourself

''''''''''miracles''''''''''

You can brew for Modern, you just need to actually understand the format and play other decks first.

I pulled one in a pack a while back, but why the fuck are they 30 bucks now?

people realized that

+2: filter your draw, if you want to.
-2: kill a thing
-8: kill the opponent

was a good card

sees modern play now, can cheat out emrakul. see jeskai harbinger at SCG

Would pic related save modern?

why isn't anyone talking about the "spoilers" list?

Because wizards isn't going to print anything useful in modern in great enough quantities to affect the price.

If anything, the price will go up. So buy now.

please go end your life

>not caring for the limited experience

That promo is sick

Honestly, if I want a good limited experience these days, I play with a cube. Limited as a format to sell packs is archaic.

Block set drafts are fine. Drafts of premium, overpriced limited sets are shit and the fun you're getting isn't worth the money you're paying. If they actually printed large amounts of boxes and set their prices lower, I'd happily draft that but the way shit is now I'd rather just buy singles and draft SoI.

Shoot: the main cards to buy for Grixis Delver, right now

i love doing this. i always see cards and im like "man i wanna build around this"

i recently tried brain in a jar after doing some other shit and that was poor but im super happy with my isochron brew

it actually feels so great

lands,and snapcasters

I haven't played the deck in a while but i'll tell you roughly how things go.
Alright so basically in the deck you'll probably win game 1 hands down against most decks barring maindeck gravehate. Makeshift Mannequin is a great way of being able to dodge your Hulk from eating a Path to Exile if you're reanimating from graveyard when Footsteps leaves you too vulnerable to Path.

Game 2 you'll need an alternative plan of having a reliable sac outlet to loop whether they're bringing in extra paths or other stuff like night of souls betrayal/RiP. Alternative plans for being able to loop combos and having a sac outlet are Greater Gargaddon(it's in exile when suspended so they cannot really interact with it barring Eldrazi decks)Venser Shaper Savant(this is actually the original Hulk combo in STD at the time) where Venser can bounce not just a permanent but a SPELL being cast on the stack as well and you can do a loop where you bounce their entire board(including lands!)which also reminds me that I need to test Brutal Expulsion in my list somewhere for the same purpose. Other alternative plans involve just ramping(lists using Pentad Prism) and/or grabbing out a Grave Titan instead with the Hulk. A really janky but alternative plan is to use Vampire Hexmage with Lost Auramancers grabbing out a Hive Mind and then killing them with various Pacts(Pact of the Titan etc.)

If I was you i'd at least get 2 copies of Through the Breach if possible. The deck kind of needs 2 minimum so you can also just cheat the Hulk in from play and even use Emrakul if needed.

Sold mine last week for £14 each, I jumped the gun and now they've spiked even more.

fucking retard

you can make your own deck and do well at a certain level.
however i suspect that pretty much every deck worth playing has been explored to some extent so i doubt you can find something truly original.

You can build your own deck once you are familiar with the modern meta(both local, online and regional competitive metas) and then you'll know exactly what to prepare your deck for. Sometimes new cards will come in and give your deck a serious boost and make it something really outstanding.

For example Elves was a fringe playable deck for a while until Collected Company was printed. Dredgevine right now is going the same way with it being a fringe deck to one that got a massive boost with Insolent Neonate and Prized Amalgam.

Seeing as Wizards keeps trying to force draft on this shit, Lin Sivvi doesn't make any sense unless there are a ton of rebel commons.