Can Veeky Forums get shit done?

Somehow this picrelated comment made me think.
Is Veeky Forums that much of a splittered fuck up board? (So the balkans of 4chin)

Why don't we try something like /a/. I think Veeky Forums has some songs that are very much Veeky Forums related. Of course not everybody likes something like the Blind Guardians Bardssong but I think the majority does.

Opinions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0X9lRDzEU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because Veeky Forums is even more spergy than /a/.

The definition of what counts as "getting shit done" has changed, not what Veeky Forums actually does.
Nowadays, when shit gets done, there's always some little bitch going "But it was just a core group of people who did most of the work, not Veeky Forums as a whole", which is how it has always been.

we're not a fucking singing board?
I'm sorry but building a tabletop game or Veeky Forums related vidya is a lot mork work than singing a faggy song, not trying to disrespect /a/ cause they did at least make Katawa Shoujo but come on it's incomparable

>Veeky Forums as a whole
I think here lies the point. Flames of war general for example has a successful podcast running. Does that count as 'getting shit done'? I think yes. But the board on a whole?

It would be nice. But I doubt it.

>we're not a fucking singing board?
Neither is /a/?

Yet they have orders of magnitude more music and singing related content by default, so yes, they are a singing board compared to most boards.

we're always trying to do things, user.
There are regular running games on this very site constantly, along with new game systems being made, and game stories being told, and game discussion being had.

I feel like we're doing all the getting done that is applicable for our entertainment of choice. It's not like tabletop systems have theme songs for us to sing.

we're not /a/
they're a bunch of faggots we don't sing songs here, we make actual games and settings that have use to us, we're not "singing songs to our le new favorite animaymay xD".

It's not like Veeky Forums actually shares that many interests. Most of us are here for maybe a fourth (And that's being generous and assuming that the average user is interested in every single game of a certain category or theme) of the topics discussed.
If the MtG people were trying to do something neat, I'd never even know about it because I don't play Magic or go into their threads. If the GURPSfags were making their own sourebook for something, I'd never know about it because I don't play GURPS or go into their threads, and so on. And that's pretty much true of everyone here.

That's our secret, OP.

Veeky Forums NEVER got shit done.

I think this is what OP refered to as "balkan of 4chin'.

I look for three threads total. That's it. The rest? I simply don't care.

And because of the consistency required for a quality Veeky Forums related product (Even something simple like a small conversion needs to be internally consistent with itself and the ruleset it's built on), tight creative control is really necessary. If you open up a project to everyone equally with no project leads, it either coalesces into a small team with creative control, or breaks down into a messy, bloated, unbalanced (And sometimes schism'd) mess.

Which either means that it doesn't count as "Veeky Forums getting shit done", since it's just a small group, or it's not worth slapping the label on because it's shit.
Veeky Forums seems to be eating parts of my posts.

hey, live and let live, that's how we operate.
Though, now that I think about it, that attitude failing has generally reduced the quality of all generalist threads.
You know, anything that doesn't belong to a specific community.

well, it seems like
is the answer then. Nothing has changed except semantics.

>since it's just a small group
This is what "Veeky Forums gets shit done" meant. One user or group of anons does something Veeky Forums related and post it here. You are left alone because you are lazy guy who never does anything productive.

Those are both me, by the way.
For the record, I don't agree with the 'it doesn't count as Veeky Forums getting shit done" people. I'm just stating the arguments.

me neither.
Honestly, I think Veeky Forums is as filled with creativity and doing things as it ever has been.
Though I really don't like how as Veeky Forums has gone on, more and more people bitch about this or that not matching their vision of the ideal Veeky Forums.
Less board police, more enjoying the thing you are here to enjoy.

Here's how Veeky Forums gets shit done:

>Do shit yourself
>Occasionally post about it on Veeky Forums, but ignore the input
>Give Veeky Forums the credit once its done

the fuck dies the whole of Veeky Forums even mean? do you know exactly how many people constitutes the term Veeky Forums?
do you think every single person who browses /a/ had participated in that shitty video song whatever?
no of course not, it's always a group of people to varying size that uses Veeky Forums as a place to help develop a certain thing, nothing more nothing less, it's not possible for Veeky Forums to make anything because Veeky Forums is an unknown number of unknown people, stop being ridiculous.

when Veeky Forums gets shit, it's when something was created to an extent by the discussion of this board, no more no less.

well, except for the things Veeky Forums gets done that involve input, like drawthreads, discussions, deliveries, and the like.

man, remember back in the day when delivering wanted things to other anons was a good thing, and not viewed as coddling normalfags or whatever?

Veeky Forums gets shit done on a small scale literally every day by refining ideas. Everything from decklists and armylists to helping GMs sort out their next encounters, npcs, and campaigns.

This. /a/ is by default a spectator board, doing nothing but watching and discussing anime, which produces nothing but shitty songs on youtube. Veeky Forums plays and DMs, and discuss playing and GMing. Ideas from Veeky Forums are put into play every day. Hell, sometimes I ask for ideas here and I put them in my games for the players to deal with.

A guy some time ago made this
youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0X9lRDzEU

Is much better than the set its self

Yes, and then you had the mad janitor and his cronies, ruining everything for everyone, and they're still doing it.

>get rid of writefags
>get rid of quests
>get rid of fun I don't like
>why is there no creativity on Veeky Forums?
I wonder.

Hey, all those things are still here, and the janitors are deleting "baww, go away, I don't like this" posts.
Though I do understand your sentiment. All the people bitching about literally every form of OC on Veeky Forums is really bad. We had a few years without that, what with the nazimod horror, but new people don't remember that and start complaining.

True. I'm just bitter.

I kind of am too, honestly.
Those people have always been to the detriment of the board, and it makes me sick to see them resurfacing after the seemingly unanimous decision that they were cunts after the nazimod days.

>Hey, all those things are still here

Where?

Writefag threads barely get any posts whenever one gets created, quests are under a stay of execution, homebrewing has become a general thread.

The only thing that has remained strong is the drawthread.

okay, yeah, you have a point.
The continuous bitching has whittled at our OC creation some.

Basically this.

Veeky Forums is good for collecting ideas. But it needs a filter.

Want Veeky Forums to get shit done in a more collective manner? Start teaching small groups of fa/tg/uys how to organize, control and produce. Then sticky that fucker on the front page.

Some of that OC generating spirit got trolled out of existence. Yes, it was to get rid of bad content (Unified Setting), but in the process it killed homebrew on this board for years.

Trolls shitposting against content they regard as shit is the cancer of this board.

Fucking this.
If there's any singular group that has caused more harm to Veeky Forums than any other, it's the people who bitch about everything. Quests, writefags, setting creation, whatever.
Like, this board staying together -requires- us to be accepting of people who have nothing to do with our interests.

All in the name of saving Veeky Forums from Veeky Forums content.

Mods finally realized something was wrong when they made /qst/ and saw the tolls gloating. Too little, too late.

hopefully the whole /qst/ thing will blow over. It kind of disgusts me to see our OC being pared off.

I'll believed that the day /qst/ is shut down, not before.

I said hopefully, user.

>quests
>Veeky Forums content

thanks user I needed a laugh

Ah, it's the cancer killing Veeky Forums.
I was wondering when one of you would finish ban evading long enough to post.

Wut?
There might not be very much homebrew/OC than 2 years ago. But in the last half year there was Omarase, Minotaurus world or the pantheon (the laughing god) homebrewed by Veeky Forums
And there were several other small settings that were not /qst/

But /qst/ is Veeky Forums their board-chan reflects that very good.

>can Veeky Forums get shit done?
Even after making a containment board, the questfags are still running around underfoot without reprimand.

And of course it's a splintered board- have you ever been in the 40k threads? You might think that they'd be brought together by playing the same game, but they still manage to segregate and other themselves based on which factions they like. That's a level of sperg you cannot combat.

So no- it doesn't get shit done. Though I'm not sure what you were hoping to accomplish with it were that the case.

Quests. They took up half the fucking catalog at one point. I'm fucking glad they are gone.

God, I am sick of you anti-everything shitposters.
you're even against the idea of getting things done.

And don't even pretend this is about quests. You did this for writefags, drawfags, setting creation, and anything else you can get your hands on.

You know what you are doing.

Veeky Forums doesn't get shit done

individuals get shit done, then idiots come claiming it was a collective effort

That's a small trickle where there used to be a decent flow, man.

>They took up half the fucking catalog at one point.

I'll take "Things that were never true for $2000" Alex.

I dunno, it seems like all forms of OC creation are under assault.
Last time I saw a writefag thread, it got shitposted into oblivion by a ban evading spammer.

/qst/ is good though. It revived draw quests and brought lots of new posters from other boards and the now-dead MSPA forums.
Think of it as an extension of Veeky Forums. We don't have to hog all the good things into one board, it's ok to be a little spread out.

The fuck are you on about? I took part in several Veeky Forums projects, but quests were shit, are shit and will ever be shit. This has nothing to do with "getting shit done".

>lies and misinformation: the post
Never happened. Ever. Nor have there been nothing but quests on the front page, or more than 20 in the entire 15 pages at the height of the enforced /a/ quest push that faded after a few months. Almost 9 whole percent.

Any other stupid lies to post?

>citing /a/ sings as some kind of achievement

Not only is that sort of thing not to difficult to organize, but it produces literally nothing of value. One person's that guy story or HFY screencap is worth more than every one of those videos combined, why would you even worry about it?

When have Quests ever interfered with the operation of other threads?

don't engage his claims, user. He knows they are false already.
Just tell him you are sick of shitposters like him ruining the board.

>B-but I didn't do those things, you've got to believe me!
Fuck off, shitposter. You say that about literally every topic on Veeky Forums, writefags and Veeky Forums projects included.

This thread has me curious, is anyone else from Veeky Forumsheim still around?

guys, don't engage with his arguments. He knows they are false. Just tell him to stop shitposting.

When a couple of idiots shitposting in /qtg/ decided to expand their shitposting to other horizons, but that's another can of worms entirely.

sorry, not into the warhammeroid complex of games that much.

40K is shit and will always be shit, but people are perfectly alright with allowing it to infect other threads, bringing the quality of the discussion down. Quests never did that.

You really are the cancer that's ruining this board.

As a writefag, quests always seemed questionale to me.

When was that? I try to be in every write-thread I can and I never saw this happen.

Rather idiots claim "it wasn't real collective effort of the board!" for one reason or another

Compare what we have now with what Veeky Forums used to churn out. We literally can't have certain types of threads that generate board relevant material because trolls congregate on them drive away or drown out anyone who might contribute.

You assholes are literally the worst people on this board. All I hear from your line is endless bitching about how x is shitting up the board and bumping precious elf slave wat do threads off of it. You could do something halfway proactive and positive if you're concerned about the wellbeing of Veeky Forums but all I ever see out of you types is barrage of nonsensical groundless arguments as to why your pet peeve is killing Veeky Forums, even though it's been here for years without disrupting anything. Which is more than can be said for yourself.

It was that one where there was a snake guy being an adventurer.
Shatpost over and over by a guy that kept getting deleted.
Haven't seen a thread dedicated to these stories since, and they seem to have adopted the general structure to avoid said shitposting.

Please get out, cancer. It's getting really annoying seeing you guys before you get deleted.

>Like, this board staying together -requires- us to be accepting of people who have nothing to do with our interests.
There is one key thing I would look at there. Yes, we do need to be more accepting in general and likely don't get our panties in a bind about something outside of our interests, come together to rationalize higher, but the issue at the end of the day is that without a form of creative control and locking down or out content, you have insurmountable problems trying to keep simple minded idiots who churn uninspired, Lowest common denominator interestbait.

This acceptance also includes spurning clubhousery or grouping together. Veeky Forums should not see an IRC and a team as 'un-Veeky Forums' because frankly, I do not see unorganized, disinterested anons ever completing work to Veeky Forums's specifications.

Unfortunately so. What's worse is that Veeky Forums expects creative content to just well forth, but there's no material to improve creativity, nothing to teach idiots the creative process, no teachings of how to GM effectively, not even very much exploration beyond Q&A sessions. Veeky Forums legitimately has beaten Veeky Forums with 1 sticky.

This scale of stupid where people expect unprepared, disorganized newfags to somehow get shit done without resorting to organizing tools or locations is frankly appalling, and I say that as an early contributor.

Unfortunately for you, I don't think /qst/ really should stay on Veeky Forums earlier, because I believe that helped suck the creative air out of the room from other projects and content, so to speak. They retain an enormous potential for popularity, and very few questfags seem to even give that criticism the time of day because of the major backlash at the start. That said, I won't press on that issue because it's my opinion, there's no need to shit the bed about it, and the purge quests mentality is autistic as fuck.

Personally, I blame summer for all this sudden decline in threads' quality

Can't really chalk it all up to summer if it lasts all year user, although the influx of the warmer seasons certainly helps set bad precedents.

dude 1/2 of the time anyone coming to Veeky Forums for support on a new project is met with
A. "Just play game X with Y supplements, it's close enough."
B. "That's dumb because it conflicts with my preferences."
C. "Just play TURPS."
D. A series of seemingly random, largely unrelated assertions and ultimatums

Veeky Forums starts projects all the god damn time, and they'll last 2-4 threads, and then the administrator will get bored with it and nobody else will pick it up and like a dozen people gave up a month's weekends for nothing.

Srsly, name one thing Veeky Forums got done in the last three years.
> Tower Girls is just making up waifus, and I'd be surprised (and overjoyed) if they ever got around to the gameplay parts (they've been making up waifus for like a year and a half now). Though, to their credit, they've made rules for how to make your waifu, sort of, so maybe that counts?
> 99% of all /QUEST/ is just people so desperate for a game they've taken to forum RP. The guy running it is surely getting shit done by making shit up, but Veeky Forums's just along for their ride
> Omarase was basically a list of fetishes and how to stat them
> P.A. CYOA was almost a game, but the rules are obtuse and clunky; nobody ever plays or develops it.

>bumping precious elf slave wat do threads off of it
And thought that were questfags making those immediately after /qst/ was created, always including with one poster saying something like "this is what you get for banning quest threads"

I said you had a point, user.
The rampant bitching has whittled away OC some.

The "depends on setting", "not muh board", "just play common system" crowd are awful.

Veeky Forums can't get shit done because you have 8000 quest authors refusing to migrate to their containment board, and warhammer 40k taking up 4-5 threads alone for its generals.

Any small project gets pushed off.

I feel like you are missing a "those" somewhere in that sentence.
God, I wish shitposters like you would stop ruining the board and driving out any kind of productivity.

>or more than 20 in the entire 15 pages at the height of the enforced /a/ quest push that faded after a few months
Sorry sempai, but you got that one wrong. This wasn't even during their hey-day.

It's certainly died down quite a bit since, but when they were bad, they were BAD.

There were those repeated threads with that pic of a drow chained to her keyboard, but I'm talking about general discussion of elves in a sexual content, although those orc thread fall into the same category. I'd be willing to wager that virtually any point you could find a thread on this board focused on pointy ears or green muscly women.

Not that I'm saying this is necessarily a bad thing, just pointing them out.

Indeed, but I feel that all those autistic posts during the rest of the year come from the same handful of faggots, they even sound the same to my perception

>that image
>bad
I don't think you understand what bad is.
Come back when 90% of the board is the kind of content you are saying is bad.
Fucking wrestlefags.

> getting involved in Veeky Forums meta-politics
bro don't even

If you had actually bothered to look at that list, you would realize there are only two, maybe three quests there actually based off of an anime.

user, is that supposed to be a proof or something?
There aren't even 15 threads there.
And some of them are obviously not quest threads.
Do you have trouble counting?

>moving the goalposts

Go fuck yourself, and make a quest about it. Preferrably on /qst/ so you're contained and can quickly draw pictures for the other faggots.

>[board] gets shit done
Why should my personal achievements or achievements of a small tight-knit team I am a part of become the common property of the board?

There was never such a thing as "[board] gets shit done".

All of the worthwhile creations and achievements were done by a select bunch of people that have enough talent to create something worthwhile.

Why should I share credit for my work with talentless hacks who have done nothing to contribute?

Go back to /a/ pls

see
do you have trouble counting?
Do you have trouble reading?
Is this why anti-quest-fags are anti-quest? They are unable to count past 10, and just assume it's a big number?

Also, no, seriously, you are a fucking baby if you think that is bad. Again, fucking wrestlefags.

It says something when the only original content I can think of is organized gaming on the board itself.

>There might not be very much homebrew/OC than 2 years ago. But in the last half year there was Omarase, Minotaurus world or the pantheon (the laughing god) homebrewed by Veeky Forums
Arguably speaking Veeky Forums has done better now with Riddle of Steel, VeloCity, and the Emperor's Nightmares, but at the end of the day they still receive a trickle of support.

For all of the shit I saw, the mentality of Veeky Forums used to be "lets create!" That isn't there anymore. That attitude is... spurned, I suppose.

I kinda wish I could just give you my general mood about the whole thing and the evidence rolling around in my head pushing me to come to this opinion. Problem is, I'm so scattered about the feeling that the thing I see wrong is hard to explain.

The whole idea that 'x was always shit' fucks up trying to objectively look at what the board's problems are. Someone tries to assert something about how this isn't good, it gets swept under the rug because "well it was never good." That's not really good logic, and it hurts trying to actually get better content.

It hurts to engage in this madness, but if the creation of /qst/ proves anything is that the mods will eventually listen to you if you shitpost loudly and hard enough. You have to show the shitposters up or they get what they want.

And I shitpost hard in them, or try to stir them into a not blatant smut direction by providing other content. I have more of a problem with those than with quest threads, which never bothered me much.

you are as bad as anti-quest fags who are as bad as anti-anythingelse-fags.

You are by definition at least as bad as whatever fag you are going against.

/a/ has so much more singing content, though.

There really isn't much Veeky Forums music going on. There isn't a album released every year for DnD, for example.

On the other hand, there's much of storytelling, games and other such stuff that gets done. But as everyone knows, Veeky Forums is an idea chamber, then there's someone who does all the work, and finally releases for the general amusement of people on Veeky Forums. This is what I feel "Veeky Forums gets shit done" applies. We don't have a choir, but we have our games and stories.

This de-evolution into a shitfest is exactly why I spoilered that.

Sorry questbros.

Well, the ideas would usually be generated on Veeky Forums. Then someone with enough time and skill churns out something out of it. That's how it has always gone.

I, too, am sorry.
It sucks that discussion on this topic has been drug down by shitposters utilizing ban evasion. It can't be talked about reasonably any more.

If you're going to claim that quests are nothing but /a/ in exile than your argument rests on quests that are explicitly modeled after their medium. On the list you posted I see only a Mobile Suit Gundam and Kill la Kill quests that fit that bill, which are actually equal in number to the threads that seem to have been incorrectly tagged as quests to protect you delicate sensibilities from getting triggered.

The rest all fits the bill as related to traditional gaming.

If you're saying Veeky Forums is the balkans of Veeky Forums, than would that mean if another board "invaded" would we keep fighting each other, or would we ban together to fight and than go back to infighting?

because you are on an anonymous image board, and that is the entire point.

If you didn't want it to be shared public stuff, you would be doing it on a board where your E-wang and intellectual properties are protected.

Being an idea-guy is not enough to get credit.
You are "getting shit done", you are in charge of executing the idea.
Therefore, Veeky Forums has nothing to do with "getting shit done", only you do.

I think you missed your post.

Oh my, could it be that questfags are the same cancer that is smutfags? This sudden eruption of butthurt makes me think that.

I'm just pro-good-content.

That's the only viable way it can be really be done except for the simplest of ideas. It really should be a central team curating and a criticism/commentary section providing input if it involves Veeky Forums to a large extent. To leave curation to the board's devices is like storing your seed on the soil.

"Shared public stuff" != shared credit for creating it.
Don't confuse the two concepts.

>all those threads hidden because you can't stand seeing your triggers

When did all these thin skinned SJWs start showing up, anyway?

What happened to people who could navigate Veeky Forums without being triggered?