How is a human brain in robotic body called? Cyborg...

How is a human brain in robotic body called? Cyborg? The only organic part is the brain so I'm not sure if it counts then again Terminators were cyborgs and their only human part was the skin.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionics
fr.scribd.com/doc/2962194/Cyborgs-and-Space-Clynes-Kline
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes, it'd be a cyborg.

As is anyone with a pacemaker.

And, if we're being technical, you. Right now, here on this computer. "Cyborg" as a term has gotten corrupted to mean something with implanted technology, but it really refers to anything using technology that has some sort of feedback-based control system. It doesn't have to be built in, it just has to be responsive.

Cyborg.
A cyborg is any living being enhanced by mechanical parts.

Terminators aren't cyborgs, they're biorobots. Machines enhanced by living tissue.

You just made this biorobot term up faggot.

Terminators are Androids, robots with flesh grown on them. Space Station 13 essentially has what you described and their called cyborgs.

I thought Androids have rubber skin on them.

Yeah, but according to that definition most humans using tools can be defined as cyborgs. Or even humans interacting with each other.
Heck, cybernetics was used has a political term in the 19th century. Plato used it to speak about helmsmen and rudders.
I think it's better if we keep this discussion to implanted technology.

>terminator
>biorobot

They explain what a terminator is IN THE GODDAMN MOVIES you shitlord

And android is any man shaped robot.

I thought those were mandroids. You can tell, 'cause they have the laser eyes.

Someone peed in your coffee, user ?
I believe it originates from Rendez-vous with Rama, by Arthur C.Clarke, 1973.
I've seen other words used for that concept, like biocyber as early as 1960, (it didn't stick), or bionic machine in the '40s (but it was pretty redundant and inaccurate).

Android= greek word for "man" + droid

Literally any machine that "looks" human (e.g. those creepy japanese animatromics) are technically androids.

I've heard the term Full-Borg. (Only organic part is the brain.)

Robocop

>Android
in the loosest terminology is any robot that looks like a person
in the tightest it's a machine that's indistinguishable from an organic organism

They are thecnically cyborgs, but i always liked the CP 2020 term full 'borg, to distinguish them from ordinary cyborgs.

Yep, and their definition of cyborg is false.
They could call a terminator a cat in the movie, and it wouldn't make it part of the felis genus.

Science fiction has always had a symbiotic relationship with actual science, both drawing from the other and influencing it. Concepts, terminology, conventions of speech... I mean I get what your saying. Your cat example is an extreme that clearly wouldn't be correct, all things considered.

But defining a cyborg as something combining both organic and mechatronic parts is actually not that terrible.

>zip me up inside
>(can't zip up)

Unless it's female then it's a gynoid.

But that's not exactly a popular term and kinda has sexbot connotations attached to it.

I can understand that. Definitions are meant to change in developing fields anyways.
On the other hand, there is a tighter definition for robots using biological tissue available; why refuse to use it? (apart from the fact that it doesn't have a nice vibe like cyborg, which is undeniable)

Human brains in robot bodies can be called different things based on their design purpose or function. Cyborg would probably be acceptable, brainbot would be a specific moniker for them, etc.

Most of the words like cyborg are similar to words like bugs. It's an informal term with no clear definition, but people know them when they see them.

They're cybernetic organisms, ie. cyborgs. They have sheathes of living flesh.

>why refuse to use it?

You can use a more tightly defined term, but if you mess up and pretend the two terms are exclusive (ie forgetting that a terminator 100% qualifies as a cyborg nonetheless), people are going to correct you on being dumb.

I've noticed people get confused about terms like "robot," "cyborg," and "zombie" a lot, thinking they have a much tighter definition than they really do. The first use of the term "robot" was for vat grown organic creatures.

Some definitions of a robot:
>a machine that resembles a human and does mechanical, routine tasks on command.
Many cyborgs are robots as well, though a free willed cyborg would not be.

>a person who acts and responds in a mechanical, routine manner, usually subject to another's will; automaton.

Many takes on zombies (like D&D zombies and voodoo zombies), mind controlled people, etc., are "robots" in this sense. And its not a coincidence that the idea was that voodoo zombies would be viewed more as a form of slavery than a kind of monster that comes to kill you.

>any machine or mechanical device that operates automatically with humanlike skill.

Hazy but I think this is why the remake Robocop was indeed Robocop and not Cybercop, in combat he functions as a robot that thinks he has free will.

The word is derived from a term meaning "compulsory labor" and another meaning "a peasant owing such labor."

Interestingly, the dictionary definitions seem to suggest terminators etc. would be robots, not cyborgs, as the two definitions are:

>a person whose physiological functioning is aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device.

This doesn't seem accurate. A "Brain bot" is definitely a cyborg, but a terminator isn't really a "person..." in most people's opinion.

>a living being whose powers are enhanced by computer implants or mechanical body parts

This doesn't seem exactly fitting for a terminator.

Terminators aren't cyborgs, they are robots.

Some people might call them cyborgs, but they would be wrong.

These things are important. I know what I'm talking about.

>terminator 100% qualifies as a cyborg nonetheless
No, because they aren't enhanced living beings. Covering your computer in leather doesn't makes it a cyborg.
I'm gonna go with Dr. Kline definition, since I think he put a bit more thought to the subject than filmmakers or random people on a sanscrit parchment exchange market.

I you want a work that englobes cyborgs and biorobots, it would be biomecatronic beings. It's ugly, but it has the two elements that makes a definition, being complete and exclusive.

One word or each thing, one thing for each word. Especially in technical vocabulary.

Space Station 13 tells me a brain a robot body is a cyborg

Then calling a plate a board, or calling a saucepan a crockpot, or calling a pencil a quill, also "aren't that terrible."

these are the colloquial definitions of various terms used in science fiction. They are fairly standardized.

Cyborg: human brain in a robot body
Robot: robot brain in a robot body
Android: human looking robot

A cyborg is not an android because human looking cyborgs are fairly commonplace.

Anybody who tries to tell you different is just flinging shit.

>No, because they aren't enhanced living beings.

Those aren't cyborgs. They're bionics, like the €6 Million Man.

Cybernetics is used in medicine to refer to prosthetic limbs. Therefore a cyborg is a human being with a mechanical prosthesis or augmentation.

Except that the terminator model with a biological component actually qualifies as a cyborg.

I personally prefer the distinction between "cybernetics" and "bionics" referring the former as a medical prosthesis and bionics as a deliberate augmentation or improvement

i'll allow it

No, he doesn't.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg

>The term cyborg is not the same thing as bionic, biorobot or android; it applies to an organism that has restored function or enhanced abilities due to the integration of some artificial component or technology that relies on some sort of feedback.[2]

Having flesh on top of it doesn't make it a human any more than me lifting 2½ pounds of beef sirloin makes me a cow.

well, shit, if wikipedia says so then it must be true

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionics

In medicine, bionics means the replacement or enhancement of organs or other body parts by mechanical versions. Bionic implants differ from mere prostheses by mimicking the original function very closely, or even surpassing it.

there is some support for that distinction, though in practice the terms cybernetic and bionic are used interchangeably.

Somebody put a lot more thought and research into this than you did, citing several sources and spending several hours writing an in depth article about the subject while simultaneously subjecting themselves to peer review.

You'll forgive me if I take their word over your yours.

i've heard full body prosthesis for brain in robot body and bioroid for a robot with organic parts like a terminator.

How Y'all doing! D'ya like my jameson model cyborg body? Shuck howdy, I betcha do!

You don't know how wikipedia works, do you? Oh well, it happens.

Go away, Boxbot.

Not him, but you haven't provided a valid alternative definition either.
And I can confirm that Kline intended the term to designate only enhanced living beings.

Most of his writings should be accessible to even a google-fu white belt, but I'm feeling magnanimous today:
fr.scribd.com/doc/2962194/Cyborgs-and-Space-Clynes-Kline

Read the thread. I don't have to provide it.

>orginal intent
I see it only gets worse the deeper you go. I've read Kline and Clynes, but thanks for your condescending attitude anyway.

Cyborg is actually a misnomer of 'cybernetic organism'. Cybernetics is the study of thought processes. Cybernetics are required to make bionics (biological electronics) work. Hence the misnomer, 'cyborg'.

>misnomer
I think you mean a blend-word, specifically a portmanteau.

its not a misnomer, its part of the common parlance. That's like saying "fuck" is a misnomer of "strike".

Not to mention the fact that he doesn't seem to know how to use the word "hence".

>I've read Kline and Clynes, but thanks for your condescending attitude anyway.

No you fucking haven't.

You are talking so far out of your ass that there is a 5 minute delay between the walkie talkie you have shoved up there and the god damn speak and say jammed into your vocal cords.

Moo for me milkcow!
MOOOOOOO!

Full body prosthesis.

Are you high right now? I didn't mean to give you a psychotic break.

Really though, sometimes people are more well-read than you think. Go figure.

user all you seem to do is sound superior and say people are wrong while others at least give semi creditable sources. From an outside perspective You sound like the least well read in this conversation.

He may not have provided anything, but that's miles better than providing stuff that doesn't even back up your claim.

Like, he's a smug asshole, for sure. But he's right. And the other guys seem to be idiots, so...

So he was a dick for no reason and added nothing to the conversation while others at least try? Sounds like an average conversation on Veeky Forums to me al right.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. Either that or your trying in desperation to get someone to respond to your shitty topic. Either way, your troubles are on you.

ARGGG FUCKING SAMEFAG!!!

I HOPE YOUR DICK GETS CAUGHT IN INDUSTRIAL MACHINERY!!!

>you must be 18 to browse this site

Full body prosthesis / full body cyborg.

Way to say so much without saying anything, you are good at that.

You seem to be a pretty good student.

Yes, but isn't the T-3000 series (Arnold) capable of at-least being able to pass through public without drawing attention?

Doesn't the word 'robot' have basis that in Czech, it means slave?

don't know, didn't see Genisys

Slavic languages, "work" and "slave" share a root.