A character players will HATE

Hey Veeky Forums

I'm making a character for my campaign, basically a one of the 'villains' generals. How can I make this guy the biggest hate sink he can be? I'm talking Nurse Ratched hated.
So far I'm gonna have him hold an elaborate, but clearly flawed system of values he believes excuses all his actions, and even makes them right. This system will pull a 180 degree turn every time the situation changes. E.g.
> When destroying small disorganized clans
Might makes right. These people should thank me for enforcing the natural course of evolution
> when totally outgunned by the enemy
These people will show me no mercy, this makes them less then dogs and justifies my having massacred them mercilessly in the past
> if they show mercy
Fools. With silly emotions like this, these people would not have lasted long anyway. I am doing them a favor by killing them quickly

You're the GM right? First you need to make a thing the players love. Some likeable characters.

Then you need your villain to fuck these characters up, being totally smug about it and getting away with it.

As a case study, look at Geoffrey and Theon Greyjoy from GoT. Fans hated those assholes, and all because they dicked some fan favorite characters over.

Man, she was hot. I would have liked to fuck her in the closet in that uniform.

Have him steal their stuff. Works every time.

>2016
>Still using BBEG
Let me guess - you only play D&D too, right?

> character is described as a general of a 'villain', in brackets
> one of these is the BBEG according to user
> by this metric anyone who opposes the main characters is a BBEG
Are you genuinely an autist?
> Posting this shit at all in [current year]

The tricky part about having an antagonist (perhaps a better term than bbeg which clearly should have come with a trigger warning based on shitposts below) is that the PCs need to see it as internally consistent, not just random dickhead behavior.

To really brew up good hate, having the antagonist screw with the party indirectly works too as long as they feel like they have a chance to do something about it. Don't go all cliche and slaughter parents, though... There are other ways to inflict pain. Remember, the wounds on the inside hurt the most and heal the slowest.

>his campaign doesn't have an antagonist
let me guess - you only play cute girls doing cute things, right?

The first part especially is actually really good advice. If I just have the villain do as much dickish shit as possible it'll come of as trying too hard. It's his personality that must be pure cancer.

Pic unrelated

1) make it so that the players are forbidden from killing him, but REEEEAAAALLLLLYY want to
2) annoying combat mechanics
3) make hm a totaal dick. use unnecessary levels of fuckery with this guy. have him steal children's toys and burn them while they watch

My ideal idea would be to have him basically be the Americans from 'spooks'. Every time he fucks over the heroes he smugly justifies himself, every time the heroes even hint they might not unconditionally obey him he throws a fit and threatens war.

>How can I make this guy the biggest hate sink he can be?

First of all, dubs observed.

Second of all, you already said your answer. You start out by making them petty and seemingly letting the PCs beat them, then you let your villain strike out at the PCs in the most cowardly way: against those they care about. I don't mean their families, but their favorite NPCs and such.

Make a character they're supposed to like who they can't kill for whatever reason. Make sure the reasoning is sketchy at best. And the reason they should like them is because they should like him. It's a given.

Strange, out-of-place eye/hair colors and styles is a good bet too.

Think with katanas.

Make him protected by mountains of bureaucracy and have the players viewed as troublemakers if they ignore it

also have be an obvious fuckup but the people love him anyway and refuse to help players.

or have him be That Guy: the character. cheap moves, bitching and whining, acting immature, holding unreasonable grudges and generally be a dickhead, if you have any shit players emulate them to fuck with them

These are pretty cheap shots and your players won't be angry with the character, they will by angry at you.

Most of the other comments have good advice though. I'd personally add that in one of my campaigns, I introduced a character who basically ignored the players and all of the NPCs around them didn't believe them when they said that they actually saved the town. It drives players absolutely bonkers when their characters don't get credit for what they do and it instead goes to someone who doesn't even know them.

Honestly, I didn't even make him all that douchey, he was just wasn't concerned with the players and was getting more swag then them. They fucking HATED him, but they couldn't do anything cause they would look like the petty assholes.

Biggest thing to guarantee hate? Have him personally fuck the characters over while remaining totally in line with the system's rules and laws. Lame example, but contrast Umbridge and Voldemort from HP. Voldemort was the BBEG but Umbridge was almost universally hated more because she directly and repeatedly fucked over the main characters while staying in line with the "rules". Randomly murdering millions of people is definitely BBEG behaviour but unless those people are people your players (not characters; players) care about, the BBEG's just a generic Bad Guy who they personally won't hate. IC hate is a very different beast to OOC hate and if you can create a bad guy who inspires both, you'll have an antagonist that your players will absolutely despise. The "my actions are right by virtue of the fact *I* am the one performing them" is a good start but don't let him get away with ignoring the system's rules and laws wholesale.

Don't just have your bad guy sitting back and sending orders. Have him personally fuck them over. For bonus points, do it in a way that means they can't immediately retaliate, so leaves them stewing on it. Don't be a dick and have the rules magically not apply to him; have him follow the rules, but use those rules to screw over the PCs. Guaran-fucking-teed to induce hatred of the character. Think back on people you disliked at work or school. Who'd you hate more, the random assholes who screwed you/everyone over but got punished for it, or the brown-noser who dobbed on everyone and never got punished - or even got rewarded for it?

TL, DR: get close, get personal, keep his nose clean and both players and characters will be begging to murder him.

Come on guys, there's obviously only one way to make sure your players hate someone OOC

Betrayal

Magical Realm character for the worst fetish imaginable.

Man, FUCK Kai Wynn.

There is a fine line when making just a basic asshole villain.
It can become unbearable and instead of hating the character, your players might just start hating you.

That's seems perfect to me, but only because hypocrisy is the only thing that makes me hate bad guys.

A villain who rationalizes wholesale slaughter isn't hatable because that's exactly what PCs do. If you want them to hate a villain, you need to use the DM's best friend: steal from them. Even the least motivated party will move heaven and earth to recover a stolen copper piece. It doesn't even have to be direct larceny; it could be a character reneging on a deal to pay the PCs or beating them to some loot that the PCs wanted for themselves.

Quick! Someone post the pdf detailing the rules for that one game which is literally just cute girls doing cute things!

They want them to hate the character, not the person who made the character. Big difference

Exhibit A.

They always have to win and take credit for everything. Only the party will hate them; everyone else should love them. The more the villain gets away with, the better.

some conniving Littlefinger shit.

Golden Sky Stories?

Things that i find players hate:

1) Cowards. If the main villain runs at any sign of trouble but gloats like a mother fucker when safe. It annoys the inner murderhobo if they do not get to murder the problem.

2)The villain hires mercenaries/other non evil adventurers to hassle the party. If the villain has escaped have him send people after the heroes.

3)Indiscriminate damage from the villain, if a villain is just an asshole that levels towns with earthquake/fire storm/explosives that ends to garner a lot of player hate.

Make a character based upon pic-related, then just remove any remotely redeeming character traits and make him a constant thorn in the party's side. Just an all around loathsome human being, who they constantly have to contend with in some way or another.

Make him welsh on the rewards/loots the players were going to receive and suffer no consequences for it. Have every NPC support him, but don't use an obvious ploy, give a reasonable motive, like, they were supposed to capture the villain alive (eventhough doing so would have doomed the world) or something like that.

Minor annoyances will, when in big quantities, amount to hatred from the players, directed toward the villain.

For example, have the villain fuck with the party's plans by raiding a caravan that was bringing magic supplies/resources to the town the party is staying in, so they won't be able to get that item that they wanted for so long until they go and retrieve it from the villain.

Have him kill a whole village, where that blacksmith they liked who could always repair and better their armors and weapons was staying for a few days (or have him kidnapped or something. Make the villain break his arms/legs so he can't work for a while, players will hate the delay and the person that caused the delay in the first place)

Someone post the story of Shane the coward by the way, for inspiration.

Thanks

He sounds like an average militant, really.

>Make him Welsh
MURDER THE MOTHERFUCKER.

Princess Pillow Fighter

Ask /pol/, they'll come up with a good villain.

>This system will pull a 180 degree turn every time the situation changes.

Don't do that. It's pretty difficult to make it work well, and players are generally quicker to assign inconsistent character traits and attitudes to incompetence on the part of the DM, rather than an intentional "this NPC is an arse".

Just work out what your party really "stands" for, what lines they won't cross, and have your hate-sink NPC cross those lines and stand for whatever the party doesn't stand for. Make them petty as fuck, make them go all-fucking-out for revenge, make the NPC think that everything is about them, that there's no coincidence. Have them throw out all sense of scale for repercussions; you kill one of his, he'll burn down the village that you passed through that one time in order to "send a message".

perfect

>senile old man ruler
>forcibly takes party's gold/goods and gives it to orc camps surrounding the city because party has adventurer privilege
>orcs raid the city and steal stuff anyways
>senile old man ruler punishes party for trying to stop rampaging orcs

No humor, too many people will forgive anything that was sort of funny. Even more, don't let players be funny, lock eyes with anybody making a joke and demand they explain.

>MOTHERFUCKER
I think you mean GOATFUCKER

It says something about the Welsh that England has a whole ancient tradition of dance devoted entirely to lining up at the Welsh border and antagonizing the Welsh.

One trait i've found that my players seemed to fucking loath was that he, or if he was busy a specific squad of soldiers, went around the battlefield and straight up "mercy killed" injured soldiers. If you were to weak to get your ass back to a medic then your injuries don't deserve treatment/healing and feeding and supplying you can't be justified as you'd probably just go and do it all over again.
His half of No Man's Land after every fight is strewn with corpses in various states that died dragging themselves back to camp and the first half of his side beyond that has soldiers in full view flipping corpses over and killing survivors. If i feel like being an edgemeister i'll mention that most soldiers on his side know whats coming so they hide under corpses in the hopes they get overlooked and throw in the fact most scream or beg when found.
Beyond that he did behead the enemy soldiers and catapulted them back for burial out of respect for the families which my players took as an insult rather than a sign of respect as the guy thinks warriors who died on the battlefield deserve proper burials and he can't say for sure what their cultures burial rites might be so best let them handle it. The beheading bit was just convenience as its easier delivery than whole corpses and many can be catapulted at once.

Session one of a campaign I ran I had the players fighting to rescue the princess. They track her down, kill the orc cultists, and talk to her for a moment before the hydra the orcs were summoning arises from the waters. The players prepare for another fight but from the woods comes the bad guys. They easily defeat the hydra, act like smug assholes, take credit for saving the princess, oh and one of them was engaged to her and the next session they got married presumably without her consent so they're just the biggest dicks to the players now. They really hated those guys.