WIP General

I love seeing the cool shit we're all building and painting. Keep getting shit done, Veeky Forums.

>old thread
>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

Someone asked for a few more shots of my terrain, so I took some and now I am sharing them. Enjoy. C&C welcome.

1/2

2/2

re-toasting

Long time lurker, first time magnetizer here again.
I'm happy to say that I got most of the main body of my landspeeder together.... despite the mishap where I glued the engine compartment together crooked.
Oh god the sawdust. The horror, the horror

/WIP/ Discussion Topic:
What are your LEAST favorite model to paint in your army? Why?

Mine would probably be drones, just because i paint sept symbols on top, so it is a pain.

FFFFFFFFUCKING SHIELDS

What kind of shields user? Because i could see wood/metal frame being pretty tedious and complicated.

Anything that requires bare skin.

My entire army is slogging foot skeletons, and each little bastard needs a shield. Just SO MANY SHIELDS

>mfw

What a beautiful image ;)

Rhinos. It's literally just painting a box.

>What are your LEAST favorite model to paint in your army? Why?
I hate painting Space Marine bikes. They're a real drag to paint for some reason.
I'm generally a fan of infantry or monsters, tanks and vehicles are not that much fun to me.

Honestly, I love painting my guardsmen, but skin really gets me. I'll get over it, and I feel like I'm starting to get better with it.

This is the last of the snapfit guardsmen I finished Sunday, going to start up my first real guardsmen when I have the time. Sadly, that's most likely going to have to wait until the Summer.

I'm digging that colorscheme, and the skin doesn't look bad at all to me.

Post genestealer cults! I demand it!

>Interrogator with low budget

I changed the pose on my Terminator, better than the last?

If you're going to use that hammer swing pose, his torso needs to be twisted a bit more to his right.

Can you do something with his pauldrons to bring them in closer to the torso? They look really disconnected right now, very fake.

>Just SO MANY SHIELDS

Backpacks and bolt guns, Mr. Rcio ... zillions of 'em!

Decided to jump outside of the production line painting to finish a dorf to see how it would look. Looking forward to getting the whole unit done.

I feel the same way. I hate vehicles because of the large swaths of flat mono colored armor plating, and I don't have an airbrush either. Bike's are annoying because there's deceptively a lot to fucking paint. You feel like the bikes should be as quick as a marine or terminator, but it feels like they take 3 times as long. They go on and on and the flat square areas on the bike are boring as sin too.

You know I think that may be the problem. Marines for the most part are all curved and rounded armor around their bodies. In fact most infantry is like this. Bikes and tanks are all flat angular armor.

I would highly suggest you use the sword arm to connect that shied to. Cut the blade off and it has a ready made handle.

That's not a bad idea at all. I'm going to end up having to use a strip of plasticard or sprue or something for the handle on the other 4 SS terminators since the BaC box comes with just one sword arm.

Reposting this because I want to see /wip/'s opinion on this question.

How hard would it be for a beginner to paint the Knights of Dorn?

hey I am going to do a church base for my Obsidian Knight model, I'm planning on grabbing pic related for the base, but what else would be good to add to it, where could I grab it, and how should I paint it?, I'm still really new to all this

Depends on how easily you can paint a straight line.

>church base for a knight

huehuehue

I'm afraid that I can't into straight lines. My hands are too shaky, sadly.

Only marginally more difficult than a regular scheme if you know how to use tape properly to create straight lines.

>masking an entire tactical marine

I count EIGHT elevation changes if you mask vertically down the middle, and that's being generous. It's more like 13 if you count every bit of curvature, and counting the skull as 1.

It'll be tough to really mash that tape in there good to prevent any overspray whatsoever.

I don't know how to use tape on models, I'm sad to say.

Can someone explain/show me how?

Hey guys do you typically decorate the base of your model before or after painting it?

Why the fuck would you do it after if you paint your model on the base? You need to prime your base so how are you going to do that if your completed model is already on top of it?

If you don't paint your model on the base, then it doesn't matter which one you do first, so I can only assume your bases are already stuck to your model. Yes, you can brush on primer afterwards but why the fuck wouldn't you prime the whole thing together when you first primed the miniature?

This.

Fuck backpacks. I play chaos so i can live with the variety in boltguns, but fuck backpacks.

Also; thin dat paint boi

I need to prime the flock and sand?

Walkers and vehicles, making their flat panels and space look like anything other than bland flat surfaces is a nightmare for me.

I NEVER fucking snip backpacks off the sprue properly.

There's always a fucking flat spot where I snipped too much.

I need glasses or something.

ork boyz
the fucking straps and belts and shirts with all the arms and heads in the way
it doesnt help i'm painting with yellows

Sand you do, flock you're not supposed to.

Most space marine vehicles, especially drop pods. There's way too many flat sides and angles that just make it more boring in my opinion.

Also the newer pink horror models. Old pewter ones are fantastic to paint, but the new ones feel pretty bland on details and look pretty dumb.

sand yes flock no.
if you plan on doing flock, and you also want to matt varnish your models for protection, apply the flock after the varnish otherwise it'll get clogged up by the spray

The only LGS in my city is slowly sapping my will to paint.

>Have a game with my daemons. Most are painted but there's a few primed models, but it's fine as the total is coming along.
>Opponent works there, looks at my army
>"oh nice, its almost done, mine's painted too."
Nice, almost everyone here so far has fielded nothing but grey or primed, it will be nice to-
>it's all just primed with a wash
>all 3 of his armies are primed with a wash and a colored base
>he's serious that this is an acceptable paint job because tournies accept it.
>almost entire store save one dude who shows up rarely follows this guy's standard
>received comments like "wow that looks really good, but your stuff is just over detailed" and "you gotta work on getting a whole army painted dude.

It would be fine if they acknowledge that it's a barebones job, but the circlejerk of the box art and model examples on GW being "unnatainable" and "a waste of time to get to" from so many dudes there is like a stake in my heart

it pains my soul to see an entire space marine army that's been sprayed red and covered in agrax with green bases get complimented for how good it looks and uniform

SM armor is segmented. That means you ever only have to make super short lines at once.
All you need is to make a quick straight stroke. The slower you move the brush the more squiggly your lines are gonna get.
So don't be discouraged. Confidence shows in your strokes.

That said painting the scheme itself should be easy.
Prime white, paint the white parts, then paint the parting line in black, do the base color and edge highlight the black side.

Thanks for the tips, I'll repose it tomorrow night and see if I can kludge together something so it actually looks like that power fist is griping the shield.

I dont have enough experience to say I have a least favorite, but the one issue I am coming up against as I learn about painting models is highlighting Ork machinery and in general painting the more fiddly bits of Ork machines. Theres just so many fucking edges and corners, and Ork tech, while being fun to look at, has so many fiddly bits that I find it hard to keep the colors varied enough with the few assortments of paints I have right now, especially when it comes to the wires/tubes/cords n shit.

>but the circlejerk of the box art and model examples on GW being "unnatainable" and "a waste of time to get to" from so many dudes there is like a stake in my heart
Just show up with a nicely painted army and enjoy the reaction.

I have two more fucking rhino-chassis vehicles to paint, and I'm considering buying an airbrush just so i don't have to touch the damn things.

Anyone here use the Army Painter Quickshades? How are they?

>but your stuff is just over detailed
>the box art and model examples on GW being "unnatainable" and "a waste of time to get to"
>an entire space marine army that's been sprayed red and covered in agrax with green bases get complimented for how good it looks and uniform

Jesus. Well I hope seeing your army changes their perspective a bit user. Even if it doesn't at least you'll have the best looking army.

Haven't used them myself, but one of the guys I play most often uses them exclusively. It's been my experience that applying a black and a brown wash with a brush will give better results almost every time, and require no more skill than dipping the model.

Decided on blue for the sword, now I just have to decide what color would work best for the base

Depends on the battlefield doesn't it?

I like the way the sword looks. Was a good choice.

Desert yellow would give some nice contrast, but volcanic or a "moon rock" base would give a more uniform look, so it really depends if you want the model to stand out or blend in more.

>Trying to put a ton of work into my admech
>two other guys starting them
>one guys is just a grey tide while the other is painted in thick khorne red and metal drybrushing over black
>outside of a couple other guys, no one else in the store is much better
I know your pain nigga, stay strong

i like the detail on the base, what is that, a tiny ruined building of some kind?

oh, and I posted that pic cause I think Jungle or something like that would look neat.

memes

I thought human gravestones would go really well thematically with it

Work hard on your armies, friends, and return to the sub-human garbage, lording over them with your forces that you have devoted much work and attention to. Show them you are better.

Look, I love painting and playing against painted armies, but it's time to fucking face the facts, painting is only for the hobbyist types, the ones who just want to play the GAME don't give a fuck.

Playing the game is the more boring part

Joke's on you, I play Necromunda.

Though, honestly, I mostly like the hobby aspect.

Thanks anons, I'll get back to work
stay strong too my man

On that note, bloodthirster is nearly done. Desert base is almost sort of a placeholder at the moment, any suggestions on how to spice it up?

Will never understand people who are game only for 40k. 1. it's not even close to the best game for just the rules, and 2. the game's not nearly as enjoyable with shitty unpainted models on the table, and 3. the game is like the LEAST biggest draw to the franchise compared to models or lore, although it is probably the most important as without rules, 40k probably wouldn't be popular.

I adore the color palette.

>Bloodthirster that isn't some dark shade of red or black
So nice looking user, kudos.

>any suggestions on how to spice it up?
The model itself has a very warm color palette, so maybe some cool colors for contrast? Maybe some alien purple or blue cacti/plants?

He looks awesome by the way, great work.

thanks. already did a red bloodthirster and wanted some variety.
Thinking about grabbing either some elven obelisks/crystals for the desert

Yeah, same here. If you want a good game then there are countless hex and chit wargames that are far better than 40k.

Would the Tartaros shoulder pads (the top ones) fit over the Indomitus shoulders? If not, is there any 3rd party pads that could achieve the same look.

God damn that's cool.

Maybe add skulls around the feet and flames at the back to blend the model into the base.

A swirling dustcloud framing the model would play nicely to the muted colours (but might be hard to model unless you're good with holograms)

There's a barrier to getting into other games.

Just finished my AoBR warboss conversion, just did it as a challange because i hate the original sculpt so much and wanted to see if i could fix him.

Drop pods can fucking do one. Rhinos a close second.

Looks really nice, but the head could do with... something. Looks quite flat imo.

As always, base to be consistent with the rest of your army.

IT TURNS OUT THAT MAYBE SOAKING RESIN ON SPRUE FOR MALLEABILITY IS A GOOD IDEA THANKYOU LIFE FOR TEACHING ME THIS THE HARD WAY

What is it with people forgetting that pliers actually spread things apart as they're cutting into it? Something like that would have better been cut with a saw or at the very least scored with a knife and just snapped off.

Anyone like these? Im unsure how to liven them up, they look pretty dull now and my models color scheme are kind of dark too.

Sorry smaller pic here

Don't put the cracking paint on the edges next time.

Top two are alright, last one looks like you didn't apply enough cracking paint so you got the really tiny cracks.

While it's good that you were careful, the few lines of bright colour mean the top two are still quite dark.
Try starting red and adding some random patches of orange across the whole base, then going yellow to white inside those patches.

Almost what i did except i just went red, yellow and white, but too late to save now except redo them all. I think if id shown too much red it wouldve looked even more fake :(

How can those lazy shits see something like THIS and still have no desire to better themselves. Christ. Awesome thrister

This. Times a million.
Why not just play DoW if you want strategy and 40k together. This way is an order of magnitude more expensive. The rules are frankly a crock of shit. If you don't want to hobby why the fuck even play

That's rite Orky.
Love the 50s drag racer vibe man. Great job on the conversion

Hey anons
I got a Sicarian Venator and want to do that cool hot metal/blued metal effect on its crazy Lazer barrel.
Any tips on how to do this WITHOUT an airbrush

I almost always do the base before I paint the model. Despite what other anons have said you do not NEED to prime sand, but you really should. I recommend you do the basing before priming, but honestly if you are just doing an infantry dude walking on a 28 or 32mm base, and you are just going to go for an "grey urban rubble" type base or something, you can get away with basing after painting. All my 40k armies are based to look like they are on some kind of bombed out hive city with lots of greyish rubble, mud, and toxic waste, so when I rebased my old marines on 32mms I just glued them to the new base then based it, and used imperial primer on the sand.
I would never recommend doing that for anything larger than basic infantry though. On bigger models like the Onager Dunecrawler I painted the base first and then attached the actual model

My brain can't comprehend how amazing this is. I can recognize most of the outter gubbinz, but what is the main body of the vehicle made from?

The sides of the car are from the Mek Gun kit, the chassis is made from half of the Trukk chassis extended by the Boarding Plank. The thing housing the main exhaust is from a Baneblade upgrade kit, I think. The front bit with the spikes is a Chaos Biker footwell turned upside-down.

Fear, user. They are afraid they will never attain that level of skill, so dismiss anything that they cannot themselves do so as to distance themselves from reminders that they're scared.

Finally getting around to painting my boyz

Blood Axe?

>that head

Damn right ya git.

where would I find bitz for scenery for a church base I'm working on

Brother!