An old-fashioned writethread

Hello!

Many years ago, I got my start in writing here on Veeky Forums, and I'm back to pick up where I left off. I'm opening the thread to any and all writing requests; from item descriptions for your home game, to poems and rhymes, to simple short stories and micronovellas, I'll do more or less anything that isn't against thread rules. I'm opening shop for the next three hours, as a test post for more threads of this sort in the future.

Any requests? I will let you know if a story hook is too obtuse or obscure and I need more information.

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/4812621/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Space adventure archologist

If you want to discuss something I'm writing, the IRC channel for Veeky Forums writethreads (and Veeky Forums writefaggotry in general, technically) is #writesccribbles on Rizon.

Cool. Indiana Jones-esque adventure, or something more thoughtful?

IT BELONGS IN A SPACE MUSEUM

I should probably get in on this too at some point, I'm definitely getting rusty these days with all the work I have to do.

Space Adventure Archeologists discover The Machine (suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/4812621/)

A trickle of dust and gravel pattered down on the top of my kit as I frantically pulled the lever on the elevator. My guide ducked down behind his shields and squeezed the trigger. Something in the darkness howled and lurched backwards.

“My coin… give it toooo meeeee…” it hissed.

“Shadows shouldn’t talk!” the guide snapped, clearly on the verge of losing it.

“No kidding,” I grunted. I heard the rattle of the elevator’s weights and moved away from the control. “Car’s on its way.”

“Can you help me with this?” the guide asked tightly. I caught the flare he hefted and twisted the top, sending bright lights spilling out of the chem-bulb. I hucked the little flare down the tunnel, and the harsh light shone on something that slithered back out of sight. We both shivered.

The door rattled open, and we both spun to board it when the sound of charging cells caught us both up short. “Doctor Kaeiler, what a shock,” said a well-dressed man in the middle of the car, with a frankly unnecessary number of guards around him.

I stared. “…Hewlett? What in the flying Christ are you doing here?”

He held out a hand. “Guess.”

I looked down at the tiny adamantine coin in my hand. “Uh…”

“I’m not waiting for a top, Kaeiler,” he said flatly.

Slowly, I pulled the coin out of my pocket, feeling my gut clench up at the thought of this parasite getting his hands on the treasure. I’d rather have given back to the crawling horror that had stolen it from the surface in the first… place…

Oh.

“Fine,” I said bitterly. “Choke on it.” I hoped I was projecting enough bile into my voice to give him the idea that leaving me down here to stew would be more satisfying than shooting me.

It seemed to work. He chortled as I shoved the coin into his hands. “Enjoy your stay in the tunnels, Doctor,” he said breezily, as the doors rattled shut behind him.

My guide didn’t even wait for the doors to close before punching the wall. “Son of a BITCH!”

“He won’t have it for long,” I said smugly. I crouched down behind his shield. “Think you can hit the flare from here?”

“Of course!” he snapped.

“Then force the elevator doors apart,” I said. “I’ll hold it open, then you shoot the flare.”

He stared. “Are you insane? That thing will get us!”

“It wants the coin,” I pointed out. “I’m not even sure it can tell us apart from him.” I grabbed the edge of my kit box and shoved the armored part into the crack. “Push!”

He did so, grumbling aloud about it all. The door creaked and groaned, but it opened when the emergency sensor detected us forcing it. I forced myself through and grabbed the counterweight cord as the guide propped the doors open.

“Fine, now what?” he asked, though at least he wasn’t yelling.

I looked up. Far above, Hewlett’s car had stopped. They were probably climbing out right now. “Grab the cord and shoot the flare,” I said. “I’ll cut the weights.”

“You’re insane,” he muttered, but he took one-handed aim anyway. He squeezed off a shot.

The flare exploded, sending sharp shadows everywhere. He let the doors slide back shut and hurriedly grabbed the cord as I drew and fired.

The lock holding the weights down was sturdy. I fired and fired, until sweat was running down my neck.

“Just break, you stupid-” I snarled, and it broke on queue. My arm nearly ripped out of the socket as the two of us launched upwards.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH” we both screamed. The car dropped past us to slam into the bottom of the shaft, shattering into pieces and blasting the doors open.

Something dark and wrong surged through. I swallowed and looked upwards. We had to start slowing soon…

Now, in fact. The cord slowed as the emergency break AI finally noticed that the counterweights were gone. We slowed to a halt about ten feet above the door to the surface and dangled there like piñatas.

“Okay, ow,” the guide moaned.

“I know, right?” I managed. We both fell silent as the thing from below rushed up the side of the shaft towards the surface. I felt my heart seize in my throat as it slowed next to the entrance to the main floor, but if it could even see us, it didn’t give a sign.

The doors slammed apart as it stuck two dark tendrils through them and pushed. The screams started in the hall a second later, and gunfire.

“I think I can swing out of here,” the guide grunted, twisting his leg experimentally.

“And then we go get somebody with much bigger guns,” I muttered, and the two of us started lurching our way to freedom.

Didn't see that until it was too late, sorry.

A comics & gaming convention is teleported to an amalgamated fantasy literature setting. Cosplayers begin gaining powers based on whomever they are dressed upper as, based on how accurate their cosplay is. More accurate cosplayers gain more of their character's abilities, but begin to loose themselves in their character's personality. Other attendees begin to notice other unusual fandom-tied effects (like sonic screwdrivers working inexplicably, prop guns having live ammo, etc.)
All of this is going on inside the convention center, which is floating, as a sky fortress, above a city that is a cross between all the meanest and most dangerous fantasy cities you can think of, with a dash of Harry Potter thrown in.

In the two hours I have left? Not sure I can do something that complex.

It was a dumb idea. Something that keeps rattling in my skull.

But thank you for the short archaeological story, I loved your Emperasque tales, and couldn't be happier reading some new work from you.

It's not dumb. Veeky Forums has done things like that before, actually like with Infinite Convention.

Oh, new dumb idea: A D&D adventuring party, of "sufficient level" comes looking for the Tarrasque they sent to 40k. Turns out the planet actually needs a Tarrasque.

Yeah, Emperasque and WHH were fun. Since then I've been working on my homebrew D&D setting, and I've written a few novels in the setting. Ran a quest there, too, which was fun also. This is the quest protagonist here.

Oooh. I might be able to whip something out.

Four beaten-up young people stared at a gaping hole in the ground. Down below, a pack of writhing strands of living dirt were twitching around and making a noise like a dog waking up in the morning.

An elf with a bow on her shoulder sighed. “Well, buggerance.”

“This is… I mean, it’s KIND of our fault,” her human friend noted.

“The book said it was ‘the spirit of the world’s hatred,’” a normally-perky dwarf pointed out. “Why would we want to keep that around?”

“Maybe it’s, like, a psychopomp thing,” a wizard observed. The others ignored him. He had NO IDEA what that word meant, but he used it a lot.

“Or maybe a Tarrasque is like a keystone to the world, and taking it out is like collapsing an archway,” the elf grumped. “Okay, where did we send it?”

“Uh, a place, hang on,” the wizard said, digging out a book. He stared at the table of contents. “Hmm…” He flipped through to a random-looking page as a bat with fully nine eyes flew past, singing Judy Garland. “Uh… a place called Terra, I think. Another dimension.”

“But is it a dimension that matters?” the human pressed.

“Mmm… don’t think so,” the wizard said with a yawn. “It’s basically hell.”

“Well, then maybe we can just… I dunno, go get it back if we’re careful and get some holy water or something?” the dwarf said.

“Shouldn’t be too hard, I think,” the wizard said with a shrug. “Let’s go.”

Bumping this because I want to see more done with it, even if I don't have any ideas myself.

How about a story on a group of adventurers finding out one of them is a spy.

Been awhile, brother

Hey, holy shit! It's great to see you again!

Sorry, folks, I've been called away to pick somebody up from the airport. As a parting gift for the thread, which will be dead by the time I get back, here's the short story with which I shattered a personal record for writing words per ten-minute span.

A Flower of Blood

Perhaps the voices were right, the florist thought idly. She hadn’t listened to them initially, of course, just as any devout citizen of the Imperium would. She had railed against them and hated them, and they had left for a time… but then, they had returned, asking questions, and she didn’t know the answers. Then, last night, one had asked a question she had actually wanted to answer.
“what is…the most…beautiful flower…of all…”
She hadn’t answered. In fact, she couldn’t. She didn’t really know. The customer before her thanked her for the lovely bouquet the florist had assembled, reaching out to hand over his money. His hand faltered when he saw the marks the florist had on her arms, but he took the flowers anyway, forcing his smile back on his face. The florist followed him to the door, locking it behind him. The day was over, anyway… and she had flowers to tend.
She puttered about the store, watering and pruning as needed, as the question floated through her mind. She trimmed errant, wilting petals from the older flowers, smiling maternally as the younger ones flourished. Finally, the question resolved itself in her mind. She wouldn’t find the most beautiful flower here… she would make it herself.

She switched the lights off in her shop, making her way by memory to the small rooms in the back where she lived. She carefully navigated around the piles of boxes and detritus cluttering up her hallway, for which she hadn’t found room after clearing out the garage to make it into her new workshop.
The lights kicked on in the reconditioned garage, casting a mournful pall over the art on the walls. The florist glanced over her past work and sighed. She wouldn’t find the best flower here, either…she would have to start from scratch.
She sat down in the chair before the drawing board, scrabbling for a fresh paper from the stacks in the bins under the table. It looked like she had spilled some paint on them, blast it…she might have to find new ones.
Oh well, that was tomorrow’s problem. She found a clean paper and set it down, visualizing her art before committing it to paper. Task in hand, she lifted her tools and set to work.
Hours passed. The clock on the wall ticked away the time, as she worked on, completely oblivious to its passage. Finally, as her labors ended, she sat back, drained by her efforts, regarding the artwork on the table before her. Here it was. Here…was the perfect flower. She dried her hands on the rag and lifted the paper, glad she had chosen such hefty stock. Paint tended to seep into lighter papers, and true art didn’t need smears.

Smiling contentedly, she pinned the art to her wall, swaying a bit as her drain took its toll. “I wonder if they’ll like this one?” she asked herself with a grin, sweat plastering her hair to her forehead.
“I do.”
The voice cut through her reverie, with a gentle edge, like her paint running over her tools. A man stood there at the entrance to her workshop, one she had never seen before. He was a solidly-built fellow, too, a bulge of muscle along his arms tugging at the crimson fabric of his suit. A symbol she had never seen before was emblazoned on his breast pocket, with a small red flower – one of hers, she realized – stuck in the buttonhole.
Her brow furrowed, as she tried to place the voice. “Oh! You’re the fellow who asked me that question… do you like my answer?”
“I do. It pleases me greatly,” he confessed, crossing the barren concrete floor. He paused beside her, and joined her in regarding the magnificent flower in silence. “I have longed to witness such a perfect flower… for a very long time.” He turned his gaze down to his companion the florist, and his eyes narrowed. “You are weary?”
“Quite,” she admitted. “I’m not getting any younger.”
“Nonsense,” he scoffed, “any young lass would be tired after such a masterwork. Here,” he said, lifting a small pot of fresh paint from the work table and offering it to her. “Drink deep.”
She took the pot with a grateful smile, downing the slowly-clotting paint with a wince. That taste was not very nice at all.

“Not to your liking? Well, don’t fret. I’m sure our dear father will find something nicer for you to have, when we go and see him,” the main said, finishing off the pot with a *smack* of his lips.
“Oh, my…do I get to see him?” she asked, flattered at the honor.
“Of course! All who serve him so well do. In fact,” the man said, cocking his head to the side, “I suspect his heralds are already on their way.”
“Oh, my, I’m in no shape for this,” the florist said bashfully, scrubbing the rest of the paint off her hands.
“Fear not, my dear, for our master is a talented painter himself,” the man confided, leaning towards her, nodding conspiratorially. “He’d be quite pleased to see you as such.”
“Why sir, you flatter,” the florist said, blushing faintly. The faint sounds of some sort of commotion outside her shop reached her ears, as he gently took her by the hand and guided her back into the shop. As they reached the doors, the man stopped, looking down at her sternly.
“Now, my dear, I must warn you, this world is full of philistines and charlatans, men and women who know nothing of art, nothing of the skills a true painter can bring to bear to truly… capture their subject. You may well have some hecklers.”
“Oh, you’re a dear, but I’ll be all right,” she said, curtseying out of politeness. “I’m sure I’ll be fine, if you’re here with me.”
“I imagine so,” the man said, rolling her final flower painting, her masterwork, into a tiny paper tube and sealing it with a wax ball. “Shall we?”
“We shall,” she replied, and she pushed the door of the shop open.

The world looked a bit different, she noted as soon as she stepped outside. The sky was… brighter, somehow. That wasn’t all, though. It seemed to be a slightly nicer shade of red than she remembered it being.
The commotion, it seemed, had been a group of those ruffians from down the street, the ones who had slashed her tires a few months ago, screaming at the top of their lungs. A group of Arbites Enforcers were chasing them down, desperately trying to reach them, and, she hoped, beat them into a pulp. Across the way, a pack of minor Ecclesiarchs were pointing at the sky and gabbling on in High Gothic, and though she attended chapel as often as any other woman her age, she couldn’t quite make out the words.
“Dear, whatever is the matter with people these days?” she asked in a huff, as her friend guided her away from all the mess.
“I do not know, my dear. Some people simply can’t leave an artist in peace,” he said. They stopped at the end of the road, as both people trained their eyes to the sky, just as several blocks of something bright blue slammed into the earth with a horrible *boom*, several kilometers away.
“Goodness! Did a ship crash?!” the florist gasped.
“No, no, those are just some philistines, here to ruin our day. I shall deal with them. I trust you know where to go?” the man said, his features hardening, changing in some way she had never seen.
“I… I think I do,” she said, the knowledge filtering to the top of her mind. The man took off at a leisurely pace, off to where the blue metal things had slammed into the ground. She headed off in the other direction, though, to where she knew her art would be most appreciated.

She arrived at the town square, which had also been redecorated. The huge statue of Sanguinius was gone, as was the smattering of stalls and carts on the outskirts. In their stead was a…she gasped. It was almost too beautiful to see.
A flower, more flawless and lovely than anything she had ever seen, had been sketched in bright red paint on the ground. A group of paint-covered men and women were adding the finishing touches now, she saw, overseen by another person she had never seen before, in the same outfit as the man who had visited her before. He snarled at one, flicking his fingers at her performance. She screamed, once, briefly, and vanished, a huge blob of red paint appearing where she had stood, and the other painters hesitantly drew paint from the blob, finishing off the huge flower.
The man turned to the florist, and his features relaxed. “Ah, my dear, there you are. Do you have your flower?”
“I… I do, sir,” she said, “but I’m afraid it’s nowhere near as good as yours is.”
“Oh don’t be a silly, girl,” the man chided gently, lifting the flower in its tube and carrying it delicately over to the very center of the flower his servants had drawn. “I can’t finish mine without yours!”
“Oh?” The flower, she noted, was incomplete. The center wasn’t drawn, a square of empty concrete right in the middle. “Oh…I see.”
“Then, please, my dear, finish your masterpiece,” he said, gesturing grandly. She timidly unrolled her artwork, smoothing it out with her scarred fingers, and placed it in the center of the massive flower.
For a moment, nothing happened at all.

Likewise man, I still lurk but generally just go user to post. Hope you've been well. Keep up the writefagging, I'm busy painting my house but I'm refreshing the thread.

Then, the man did something odd. He lifted a chunk of concrete from the toppled statue and rammed it through his palm, spilling paint onto the ground, and slammed his hand into the very center of the huge artwork. Before the florist could even gasp, a horrible tearing sound echoed from the sides of the buildings around the square. A rip in the air appeared, right over where the man had been standing. He hastily stood and ushered the florist away, watching the rip with baited breath.
A creature emerged, easily towering over the traffic lights around the square. The huge thing turned to the painter and her compatriot, skewering them both with its endless, hellish gaze. “Who is it who seeks the blessings of Khorne?”
“It is I, your Lordship,” the man said quickly, raising his impaled palm, beaming a grin. “We have called you hear to pass judgment on this world.”
“Oh, ‘we’ have, have ‘we?’” the creature asked, summoning a massive blade from the aether. “I do not see your work, here.”
“My… Lord? It is I who crafted this summoner’s rent, I and my colleagues, your most devout worshippers-”
“YOU HAVE NOT!” the creature roared, nearly deafening the florist. “You have done NOTHING! You, who scrabbled about casting your spells, you who take credit for the works of others, you are nothing more than a PETTY LITTLE SORCERER!”
“But… you would not be here at all if it were not for me, your Lordship!” the man wailed, sudden fear draining him of all color.
“AND I WISH I WERE NOT!” the creature roared… then paused, sighting the florist. “Who is this?”
“This, my Lord, is the caster who created your entrance to the materium!” the man said hastily.
“YOU LIE!” the thing roared, bisecting the man with a single sweep of his blade.

Paint spilled forth from the man, pouring over the florist, who stood rapt, staring at the creature. “You… flower-girl… you are no caster. You are no sorcerer… but you ARE an artist.”
“I am, sir,” she said, nodding slightly.
“You stand bewitched… ensorcelled by these PARASITES!!!” the creature roared, sweeping his blade about, cleaving the screaming painters. Sounds of battle became audible over the clamor, distant flashes of light and sound. “I… will not tolerate this.”
“Sir?” she asked, bewildered.
“You have the taint of sorcery upon you, yes… and the smell of EXCESS, that perfectionist weakling… but I see also the love of your paint, your subjects… the process. Yesssss….” the creature hissed thoughtfully. “The taint is not yours. You… shall serve the Blood God.” Before the creature could say another word, an explosion rocked the edge of the square, casting bits of people and buildings about. Several massive, armored angels sprinted into the square, killing what few painters and servants remained.
“Insects are upon us, it seems,” the creature said, and a cascade of blue fire washed out of his mouth, cooking one angel to a crisp, even as the others sighted him, and fired their weapons. “But see… they have paint within them too.”
“They… they DO!” the woman exclaimed with delight.
“Then come, and we shall see what works you create for your Master,” the creature said, carelessly dispatching another angel with his great blade.
“Are you not the Master, Lord?” she asked in surprise. Certainly the splashes of paint he was creating had their own artistic appeal.
“I am among his servants… and you shall be too,” the creature said, suddenly stopping his battle, and casting a red light over the girl.

She watched her hands, fascinated, as they grew and grew. The ground seemed to recede as she grew taller, and an indescribable feeling of conquest and desire spread through her, invigorating her tired flesh. Her clothes burst, as massive, scaled wings erupted from her back, and the world around her grew more vivid, more beautiful, with each passing moment. Claws – they looked so much like her tools! – sprung from her hands, as veins of fire spiraled around her naked body, scorching the concrete below. Her legs bent and warped as hooves replaced her feet, and one of the angels started yelling.
“THERE! The witch transforms! Kill her now before she becomes-”
“Becomes what?” the girl asked mildly, sweeping her new claws forward, rending a massive gash across the angel’s front, spilling black paint from within. The paint sizzled and popped on the concrete, eating it like acid. “I rather like this… new perspective.”

“I knew you would,” the creature said darkly, lifting another angel overhead and ripping him in half, letting the sizzling black blood pour over the ground. “Now, you serve the Master, girl, as one of HIS Maidens, and you shall paint this galaxy with the blood of his enemies… and they are legion.”
“Yes… yes I will,” the florist said, enjoying the rapturous feeling of paint cascading over her hands as she lifted the last of the painters and drove her claws into his flesh. “This galaxy needs a new… coat of paint…” she said, before a fit of laughter overtook her. The flesh of her stomach and breasts shriveled up, hardening into a lattice of chitin and scale, off of which the bolts and lasers of the angels bounced, without doing harm.
“COME THEN, MAIDEN OF KHORNE!” the creature roared, backing into the rift. “COME! SPILL BLOOD FOR OUR BLOOD GOD!”
She nodded happily, following the creature into the rift, the surviving angels firing uselessly after her. “Blood for the Blood God… and the Master of our art.”

Awesome. Yes, I'm coming back for a time. How long, I don't know, but with /qst/ siphoning off so much of the board's post momentum, I may be back for good. Half the reason I left was that the threads died so fast.

Speaking of, peace out, I need to go to the airport. Back some other day!

I think we're friends on steam, but keep in touch man. Godspeed.

[email protected]

This is a good moment.

Yep, we are.

I'm not someone else, but I'd like to try writing stuff for practice.