Tips for a new GM

Hello fellow fa/tg/guys. First time GM here about to run a Fallout PnP game, and I would like some tips on how to GM properly.

Other urls found in this thread:

mythcreants.com/blog/tag/game-master/
anfinitinetwork.com/fallout/?do=NPC Generator
savagefallout.blogspot.ca/
mediafire.com/download/ir2usqeh6occc4v/Fallout_Wastelands_v2.0.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1. Learn the rules as best as you can. Don't stop the game to look up a rule. I'f you're super unsure just make a ruling on the spot and look it up after.

2. Don't play the enemies like 90s vidya AI. People and and animals will rarely fight to the last man. Make intelligent enemies intelligent. Walk the line of being tricky without being a dick.

3. Keep situations fluid. The players won't always do what you expect or want them to do, and that's okay. Just roll with it.

4. If someone is being problematic then DO NOT take it out on them in game. Talk to them like an adult one on one after the session or during a break.

5. No magic realm unless everyone is in on it. Use your head when including touchy subjects like rape, especially when it involves players.

I can't give you any advice, but I was wanting to run a Fallout game sometime as well. What's the location?

Indiana

Neato. What do you have planned to throw at them?

I'm just now getting into building the setting for a campaign in Louisiana myself.

Mine was going to be in the southern Appalachian area, around KY and TN.
Have you though of any new critters to add to the roster?

Me and my friend are going to discuss our plan this weekend, but the working idea is to take them on a trip across the country from the west to east coast

Not really, but we'll probably think of something this weekend

Don't forget about pic related. Depending on the timeframe you could run into the ultimate techno-nazis that are the Midwestern Brotherhood of Steel.

Well, you already have Yao Guai in the area
Alligator snapping turtles would make amazing mutants.
Apparently you also have Jellyfish in Indiana, Lord knows what they would turn in to.

Pretty sure mirelurk kings are mutant snapping turtles.

Where'd you get that from?
I've always wondered what they were, because they don't look like anything. I'm pretty sure they're just a "Creature from the Black Lagoon" reference more than anything specific.

Well I just looked it up, they are Snapping turtles. That's pretty stupid though, they have absolutely nothing in game to indicate that.

I've always wanted to run a Fallout GURPS campaign, I even have a bunch of weapons and creatures statted for GURPS based Fallout civilization management game I was working on.

Mythcreants has lots of good generic GM advice:

mythcreants.com/blog/tag/game-master/

The DnD Dungeon Master book also has a lot of good stuff for general GMing advice. You can find a download link over in the DnD General thread.

Also, since the Fallout RPGs character sheets are kind of terrible, here are some reformatted ones I made that you can use if you wish. Here's the colored one:

And the printer-friendly one:

I actually just started a campaign myself set in the Pacific North West. One thing that I have found to be really useful is this reference sheet. and I also use this web-site when planning sessions, to help me generate NPCs

anfinitinetwork.com/fallout/?do=NPC Generator

How shitty is it to steal ideas from Van Buren (cancelled 3) and use it in your own campaign?

How big is your group? I ran a campaign in fallout pnp before and I can tell you that if your group is well balanced(has characters that are specialized in specific things, like fighter, mechanic, talk-guy etc) than in this system they can max out they specific skills in just few levels, quickly becoming quite overpowered. So if you want to keep a reasonable difficulty level without throwing some ridiculously powerful enemies at your players I would consider decreasing the number of skill points they get, unless your group has only 2/3 players.

Native Hoosier here, Indiana is a bad setting for a campaign. Literally nothing here.

I would suggest really putting some thought into non-combat encounters, the sort of stuff that adds atmosphere to your setting or presents a challenge without needing to look up everyone's Sequence scores again. A sudden rad/lightning storm or a crashed truck surrounded by nuclear waste barrels is a classic example. I personally have also done a small cave inhabited by coyote pups, a crippled stranger strumming a banjo on the side of the road, and an unconscious traveler lying next to a basket full of raw meat. Of course, do what works for the setting.

Savage worlds has a great fallout system. Games goes faster and fits the pulpyness of the games better.

Remember the difficulty modifiers before getting mad at someone who has 120 in small guns.

Link? I keep seeing fanmade ones and I'm not sure which is quality.

There's an user that's been working on a Louisiana Setting for awhile now. Usually springs up in FO threads and posts what they've got.

I'd definetely like to hear from him then. I'm JUST starting to delve into building the setting and would love to see what he's got.

savagefallout.blogspot.ca/

This nigga right here. I've been playing it for years with my group and we are yet to find anything broken

I recommend getting the adventure card deck as well, gives the players some agency in the narrative, or a get out of shit free card which is great cause it makes the game kinda cooky like in fallout, or it just gives them the chance to do something badass.

The creator updates the game from time to time, but its slowed down recently just because its damn close to a finished product.

Anyway 10/10 would recommend, its fast furious fun. like fallout should be. Wont get you bogged down in rules

Hey give me a half-hour or so to get home and I'll upload my notes PDF. Feel free to use/disregard whatever you find. Lots of the material came from various Anons on fluff threads in the past. If you want to add anything to it be my guest!

Alright, here's the PDF of Fallout: The Great Bayou setting. I'll follow it up with a shameless self-plug for the system my group and I have been working on, based around the system in OP's pic (made by Jason Mical).

The PDF file is too large, so here's a mediafire link. Attached is the character sheet.

mediafire.com/download/ir2usqeh6occc4v/Fallout_Wastelands_v2.0.pdf

but.. they never existed.

>1. Learn the rules as best as you can. Don't stop the game to look up a rule. I'f you're super unsure just make a ruling on the spot and look it up after.

Important to note as well, after you look up the rule and figure out the way it's supposed to work let the party know what the ruling is and how you'll be doing it from then on out. If you goofed just be like 'yeah I was mistaken, turns out it's _____' so everyone is on the same page.

They have been canon since 3.