Warhammer 40k General

Age of spam edition

>Rules databases
mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

This thread has been infected.

This thread has been tactically nuked with its own missiles.

This pleases Grandfather. His plague pollinates the entire sector.

What up, made another revision to the Chaos Legion and Warband Tactics. Done some balancing after some playtests, and added two new Lords of War at the end for Slaaneshi and Tzeentchian players.

Included in this document are:

>God-specific Warlord Traits Tables
>God-Specific Relics
>"Chapter Tactics" for all the Chaos Legions, in addition to the more famous Chaos Renegades such as the Red Corsairs, Flawless Host, The Purge, The Cleaved, The Scourged, etc.
>Unique units for some Legions
>Two Lords of War for Tzeentch and Slaanesh players.

Read it, play it, enjoy it, criticize it. Just let me know what you guys think.

I summon thee, Space 0din! Let us begin the Chant of glorious Tier-2.5 Orks. To do this, we must all chant the magic spell to summon our lord and savior ov da' waaagh!!!

'ERE WE GO!'ERE WE GO!'ERE WE GO!'ERE WE GO!'ERE WE GO!'ERE WE GO!

SPACE 0DIN. Give us news regarding new ork decurions!

>soul blaze warlord trait
Welp, at least now I don't have to read the rest of this shit.

Thousand Sons not being able to take cultists is pretty stupid, man, no offense

The fact that he acknowledges that at initiative S:8 AP:2 shouldn't be in the game and then includes it anyways is a pretty big turn-off.

That his codex essentially makes all orks Twin-Linked for the entire game is pretty bonkers.

I like the Warlord traits and the relics. The Legion tactics seem pretty weak. Considering point costs and the built in weaknesses of the codex, it doesnt change much competitively, but adds a bit of flavor - which is great.

Ive been using my HH NL army vs 40k armies. The HH RoW are significantly stronger than what you've created - and I still get worked by competitive 40k armies.

It's pretty cool though, stick with it.

Why did you make entirely new super heavies instead of just updating the older ones like the Silver Tower and the Slaanesh crab knight?

Why is the Tzeentch walker costed at 777 points?

>Slaanesh walker only gets to harness 2 warp charge a turn
>Rending on a S:10 AP:1 weapon

Reposting this list with a few changes. Going to be going to a tournament next month so I am dusting off my version of Super Friends.
This will be my first time using the Space Wolves Start Collecting formation but I think its special rule allowing a unit to give up shooting to be able to run and still charge. This should almost garuntee quick assaults.
There is a limit of three fliers but I doubt I could deal with one effectively, though I think I could run from the creatively.

1850 Super Friends

Ravenwing Strike Force:

Interrogator-Chaplain - 160
>Mace of Redemption, Bike

Techmarine - 110
>Servo-Harness, Power Axe, Bike

Ravenwing Command Squad - 250
>5 BKs, RW Banner, Apothecary

Darkshroud - 80

Ravenwing Bike Squad - 120
>2 Grav Gun, Combi Grav, Melta Bomb

Space Wolves "Deathpack" (Start Collecting)

Wolf Lord - 195
>Black Death, Storm Shield, Thunderwolf

Thunderwolf Cavalry - 340
>4 TWC, 4 TH/SS

Grey Hunters - 230
>9 Hunters + Pack Leader, 2 Meltagun, 1 Combi Melta, Drop Pod

White Scars Librarius Conclave

3 Level 2 Librarians on Bikes - 110ea
>One has The Hunter's Eye which is 20pts

1825/1850

This list is for an upcoming tournament. I wanted to try the Space Wolves formation for quick run charges with the TWC and Lord. The Ravenwing with the Librarians will be followed by the Darkshroud to keep their 2+ Jink.

Everything but the Deathstars are expendable but that's only two units + the Darkshroud so it may not be saying much.

The goal is to bring the pain quick and almost instantly arrive at his side of the table and after enough threats are dealt with run around and play the mission with my superior speed.

I took off the Ass Cannon from the Darkshroud and gave the Grey Hunters a pod instead of a rhino. I am 15 points away from a 6th Black Knight. 25 points can be a lot to play with.

Thoughts?

Will a hardware store carry magnets of acceptable size?

I'm about to run out, and don't want to wait for shipping.

I'll ask there too.

Do we have an empty template for the 40k dataslate?

I would like to make a few special units/characters for my Campaigns and i want them to look good.

>instead of just updating the older ones like the Silver Tower and the Slaanesh crab knight?

Because I was unaware those things existed.

>at initiative S:8 AP:2

The Tau get at-initiative S10 AP1, but at the cost of only one attack and on a shitty WS2 crisis suit frame.

So yeah, that's a little ridiculous.

They're not all supposed to be amazing. Some of the Warlord Traits have to be a little weaker than others.

But Thousand Sons, as a Legion, fight with pretty much straight-up Rubricae after the invasion of the Fang. They use Cultists, but not in offensive operations except as diversionary attacks that are unrelated to the main attack.

I don't think so since there is so much codex related things to edit out, like borders and stuff.
Also different units need different sizes for each category so one template can't rule them all.

It is pretty simple though.

But there are Thousand Sons that don't fight as part of the legion anymore since Magnus banished them from the Planet of the Sorcerors after the Rubric

To my knowledge, they still pretty much rely on Rubricae to get shit done, because they're just that much better than puny humans.

I can add them as non-compulsory Troops choices, but the bulk of a Thousand Sons army should really be Thousand Sons and Rubricae.

>Some of the Warlord Traits have to be a little weaker than others.

Here's a tip on game design, especially pertinent to 40k.

People like to feel like they're cheating.

Ask someone what cool things their codex can do, and they're not going to talk about cheap 3+ Sv or good ballistic skill or the mathhammer on their psychic powers.

They're gonna tell you about the thing that ignores cover, or the thing that reduces the enemies AV or Sv or T, or how their models roll to wound based on your armor save.

Players like to feel like they're getting away with something, that's why the rules are so complex in the first place - every little exception and special case is fun.

Warlord traits don't need to all be great, but they should all be fun. They should allow you to do something the rules normally prevent, not slightly increase your damage output. Let me outflank tanks! Or deep strike without scatter! Or reroll cover saves! Or make my warlord WS9 for one turn! That's the kinda stuff that gets 40k players off.

/rant

That's a good and fluffy solution, thank you

He updated his codex you mongoloid, fuck off, the codex now caps at I5 for Warbosses, which is the same as captains and other challenge characters.

Decurion is out; you'll find nothing so broken as fluffy, except perhaps for some of the shootier formations. DESU, Decurions break the game harder than even regular formations do. In any case, here it is:

Bitly/Orks7ePDF

Meh, it's a WIP. Most dudes who report their play tests use altered rules & report back--it's part of why 'Ere We Go! is +2 initiative rather than x2. I get to edits & changes as I can.

I get where you're coming from, and there are plenty of those traits in there that also do that (Did you look at Changer of Ways, Master of Manipulation, Corsair Prince, etc.?), but they can't ALL be amazing. I tried to sprinkle in some of the more "bland" stuff like stat boosts alongside the more crazy things like having your warlord come back to life once per game, or giving D3 units Scout, Outflank, and Acute Senses. There's gotta be a little balance in there too.

This list isn't intended to make CSM top-tier or anything. It's intended to give fluffy boosts and bring the army more in line with the fluff, and both expand and limit certain Legions where that's necessary (for example, restricting Nurgle Bikers from a Death Guard list because the two are completely at odds with one another fluff-wise, even though Nurgle Bikers are one of the more powerful units in the codex).

Yeah, I was specifically just talking about the just the one warlord trait, not the others.

The problem isn't that it's too weak, the problem is it's boring.

Hay there, Black Templar player here. Now I'm not gona bitch about my faction or anything but I wanted to ask. So other than the warlord table, can BT get any use out of the stern hammer formations? It would mean no glorious crusaders squads right? What do you think would be a great way to use these formations while still maintaining a BT theamed force? Or is there anyway to get crusaders squads in it without being more of a points burden?

Has anyone ever made their own chapter tactics? I've been thinking about one, and its as simple as letting units take psyflame ammunition for x amount of points

NP. This is a work in progress, after all.

The Legion tactics are not intended to be super OP or anything. They're just intended to make a Legion force look and act like a Legion force on the tabletop, and bring them more in-line with their fluff, buffing when necessary and taking away when necessary.

Thanks. It's a work in progress, so there's gonna be quite a few kinks.

Holy SHIT Firewarriors come with a lot of extra bits.

There's like 80% of four different squads in here. This is simultaneously awesome and a ripoff.

I wonder how many dudes I can make if I magnetize weapons and Blood Raven some torsos from the bits box.

Thanks man I love your work. Make orkmerrrica great again. Have you also updated the battlescribe file? If so, can you post the link?

Lol I made a whole bunch here Apparently they're not as cool as I thought they were, though.

Stop posting homebrew or you're gonna make me follow through on my decade old desire to homebrew a streamlined 40k BRB

It's the same with a lot of kits. Just get the torsos and legs on eBay.

Does the wording on this make sense?

The Mirror Mask of Menkaura (15 Points)- As long as the bearer of the Mirror Mask of Menkaura is alive, you may reroll any single die. After expending this reroll, you may immediately choose to grant your opponent a single reroll that he may expend on any of his rolls in order to regain the use of your reroll. You may only use the Mirror Mask of Menkaura’s reroll once per player turn. Note that the die to see if the game ends may not be rerolled. In addition, the bearer of the Mirror Mask of Menkaura has the Hatred (Daemons of Nurgle) special rule.

>>Rending on a S:10 AP:1 weapon
For when you REALLY need to make that Land Raider pop (?)

Just looking over your new formations..

> S4 Hammer of Wrath

Also, you might want to change the Goff Krumpin' Krew to instead have "Reroll 1s to Hit and Wound in Challenges". Because Preferred Enemy (Characters) is totally useless and does absolutely nothing, THANKS GW.

> Free Upgrade formation, with a "Buy One Get One Free" caveat
Amazing.

> PIRATE SHIPS
Fucking yes.

> Green tide grants Zealot and Crusader
> Nobz in a 'Naut
topkek
> DAKKASTORM DAKKALADZ
The Kekkezt.

Interesting. I think my favorite option of the whole bunch is the idea that we could Kombine Badrukk's Flash Gitz with the formation that grants +1 BS.

BS4 TWIN LINKED FLASH GITZ. FUCKING YES. WE'Z DA SHOOTIEST GITZ EVA. SO MANY BOOLIT, KANT EVA MISS.

>666
>psyflame
You aren't fooling me.

That's a higher order, so I released the base, play test more with the PDF, & make adjustments on the BSR as a final step.

I'm likely altering point costs, changing or removing 'Uge Choppas/Proppa Choppy, & other small tweaks. That's rough as fuck in BattleScribe compared to a text editor.

Since units can no longer be used once they flee off the board, what if you played on a sphere?

I'm not sure if you're retarded or brilliant.

Is it possible or at all functional to just take tons of Sentinels? They look awesome and fun but do they suck?

>They're not all supposed to be amazing. Some of the Warlord Traits have to be a little weaker than others.
Ignoring that that's a retarded design philosophy fuck you Mark Rosewater, the problem with Soul Blaze is that it's a hassle to remember and deal with and it does fucking nothing.
>Thousand Sons, as a Legion, fight with pretty much straight-up Rubricae after the invasion of the Fang. They use Cultists, but not in offensive operations except as diversionary attacks that are unrelated to the main attack.
Sick headcanon.

You're a pretty good example of why CSM homebrews often end up so shitty. You've got some really stupid headcanon, you've bitten off way more than you can or should be dealing with, and you just don't know a lot about the factions that you're making rules for.

Sorry should be more specific. Can I use crusaders at all in the angles of death supplement? Or is there anyway to make a fluffy BT army with that book?

>Buy/make a big metallic sphere
>Magnetize the base of all your mini
>Now you are playing a fight between two armies for the control of a small but strategically importan planetoid

I would totally play that

>what if you played on a sphere?
We would all need more magnets.

My next campaign is looking to use a globe map since the rectangular tiled map we used last time had some very obvious flaws. Being able to move any direction helps against getting corner-fucked.

Alright no worries. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm imagining guardsmen running from necrons only to run right back to them

This sphere discussion reminds me, gonna be building a table for 40k soon.

Tips?

Nope, sorry, you have been completely forgotten. You can't even use the IF decurion since, differently from the Crimson Fists, you don't use the IF chapter tactics

Make it spherical.

Aqarium grass is some of the best cover you can buy. They have solid bases and can be spaced so your guys can walk between them while providing 4+ cover.

I mostly looked over the Slaanesh stuff, since that's what I play. Most of the Warlord traits looked okay, although I didn't like the one that can randomly make the warlord WS and I 1, though that's probably personal preference.

Not being able to include cultists is a pretty big bummer, though I do like the extension of Noise Weaponry and most of the Relics.

The Superheavy feels odd. It's got a lot of guns, but 600 points for just 6 HP feels really expensive. I feel like I'm just going to end up firing it once and then watching it die faster than an Imperial Knight. It doesn't even have a shield or anything. I can understand that it's supposed to be agile, but letting it Jink or something would at least offer some survivability. As it stands an Imperial Knight will be twice as durable for half the price.

I suppose the most annoying thing would be that you wouldn't use TLoS (since, unless, the sphere is really big you would be blocked after just a few inches by the curvature of the sphere), instead you would use a band with the same curvature of the sphere to represent gravity keeping the bullets down

Or you can keep normal TLoS and have the assault armies have some fun

Are you doing a solid table with a game mat on top and random terrain or making a sectioned table with moveable tiles?

I recently helped my friend design the latter with four rectangular tiles that either make a hill in the middle, two hills on each short edge, or a small hill in each four corners much like the GW tiles only longer.

>Ignoring that that's a retarded design philosophy

So then don't use them.

>You've got some really stupid headcanon

You mean the headcanon supported by the fluff? Thousand Sons are shattered warriors who either operate as the masters of shadow networks led by a coven of elite Sorcerers and Rubricae or as mercenary forces for other Warbands in exchange for knowledge and artefacts. They make use of Chaos Cults, but very rarely fight alongside them except in the most dire of circumstances, instead having them operate as cats paws or as diversionary forces for the REAL attack somewhere else. When fighting as a Legion they pretty much fight with only Rubricae, because the only people they can actually trust to get the job done are Rubricae.

>you've bitten off way more than you can or should be dealing with

Possibly, but no way to know that until I've tried it.

>and you just don't know a lot about the factions that you're making rules for.

I'll grant you that I'm not super-familiar with Tzeentch (as I play Slaanesh) but I've still done quite a bit of research on pretty much every faction in the book before trying to build these. This is what the fluff says about Thousand Sons as an overall Legion.

Where's a link to the update with the formations? I'm eager to look it over.

I've tossed around the idea of creating them, but I've never used any.

Mainly because if I made my own chapter tactics, it would be to represent something current tactics didn't do, but then switching back to vanilla tactics whenever playing someone who didn't want to play against homebrew would be jarring.

Keep it modular. I've seen a lot of tables packed with pretty little details and everything, but they offer very little in the way of changing things, other than rotating parts of them around (assuming the table was build in sections) and trying to fit a few pieces of terrain on there somewhere.

Personally I've preferred tables that offer a clean grassland, concrete, cobblestone, etc. base on which you can place ruins, forests, and all pieces of terrain big and small. A good way to break up the monotony of a plain grass or concrete base is get some dark static grass type flock (that's a bit clumped together) and maybe little rocks, and just sprinkle them onto the table. They immediately give little detail on the board and won't affect gameplay or placement of terrain. After the game you can just gather them all up and store for the next time.

>IG is fleeing from a warrior
>commissar turns to shoot him for cowardice
>the Necron turns around and sees the guardsman running right at him
>the Necron gets blasted in the face
>good work commissar!

5+ only ruins provide 4+

Well, neither of us have ever built anything in our entire lives, so it probably will just be a flat top with random terrain pieces.

See, I know you're full of shit because the Thousand Sons don't fight as a legion anymore. Nobody other than the Word Bearers really does anymore. But, please, give me a source for your claims that the Thousand Sons never, ever fight alongside mortal soldiers.

Not that it really matters with Tau in the game...

bitly/Orks7ePDF

That should take you there; it's updated. Just put a period between the t and l.

Blood Ravens Chapter Tactics:

> Knowledge is Power, Hide it Well
All Sergeants may be upgraded to Codiciers for 10 points. This grants them the Psyker Rule, with Mastery Level 1. This option replaces the ability to take Veteran Sergeants.

In addition, any Codicier may replace his Bolter or Bolt Pistol for a Force Weapon - 10 pts.

> None Shall Find Us Wanting
All characters with Chapter Tactics: Blood Ravens, must issue and accept challenges. If two characters are in combat with this rule, you may choose who issues or accepts challenges.

>Not being able to include cultists is a pretty big bummer

I've already changed this to include them as non-compulsory Troops Choices in the Emperors Children Tactics.

However, in exchange for not being able to spam Cultists, you can build Sonic Terminators, Sonic Havocs (while they're pricey, 4 Blastmasters in a five-man unit can rip some serious holes in the enemy), and Sonic Tanks again, so at least IMO it's a more than solid trade-off I'm not going to lie, I'm also not a huge fan of Cultists to begin with. I'm one of those dudes who believes a CSM army should be full of CSM's, unless you run an allied R&H detachment, which I have no problems doing myself.

>It doesn't even have a shield or anything

It does have a Daemonic 5++, which I've just added to a 4++ due to you pointing it out to me (cuz that's an entirely fair critique), combined with It Will Not Die. That's not AMAZING, but that's pretty solid.

>It's got a lot of guns, but 600 points for just 6 HP feels really expensive

It's a Slaaneshi analogue to the Kytan Daemon Engine of Khorne and I fully intend on building one too, which is priced at 525pts. It's better overall, and with the Psychic Powers it's a potent weapon when used correctly. It's not as outright durable as other vehicles, but it's more powerful and much more versatile.

halp

Foam board (stuff they use for insulation in construction) is quite cheap to buy in large sheets. One or two should provide you a 4x6 feet board. What you put on it is a different matter. I know people who've just painted it green and covered it in glue and flock. Our club had a project where we made a mordheim board by getting a pile of worthless Magic cards, chopping them up into little pieces, applying glue onto the board and gluing them down as cobblestones. Then just paint it black, grey and drybrush lighter and lighter grey on top. With a few ruined houses and shit it worked as the city of the damned quite nicely. Streets and such could be made simply by arranging some pieces in a more uniformal manner. So for an arcing road you place similar sized and shaped pieces in rows while all the pieces not part of the road are arranged randomly. Maybe paint the road pieces with a little differently to differentiate them some more.

For terrain, Pegasus Hobbies makes cheap plastic gothic style building sprues that you can snap together to make all manner of buildings. Been thinking of getting some myself and spruce them up with various 40k bits. Already working on making wall mounted cogitator units and rain drainage from Russ exhausts.

Whoa man, 10pts for a Psychic Mastery Level is criminally undercosted. It's typically 25pts to gain a Mastery Level, so that's pretty much what it should be if you're giving it to a unit. 20pts would be low, but still acceptable.

>replace his Bolter or Bolt Pistol for a Force Weapon - 10 pts.

Force Weapons are better Power Weapons, and Power Weapons are at least 15pts. They should be priced around that level (I'd say 20, but you could get away with 15pts).

The premise is fine, it's just too cheap.

You should change it to allow characters to equip weapons off of dead enemy characters

Oh then no tips needed. Have fun being boring.

Just make it regulation size.

We made 4 small tables that have latches on them so they can be reconfigured then built up and carved foam and papermache*. We made the table top on one big piece of plywood we put plastic over and made the terrain then cut it into quadrants. After that we mounted it on the 2x4 skeletons we had waiting that were about 4" tall and screwed down the table. He is still painting it, adding grit and other textures and other guys are making terrain.

Don't know about super-effective. I've used autocannon sentinels since 3e and they've worked just fine all these editions. Scout sentinels get to Scout, so you can bring in units at enemy flanks and pour fire into their flanks. Armoured sentinels can take on units that lack grenades and power fists in close combat and it packs the plasma cannon, though at 2HP it's quite risky.

It's Chapter Tactics with only a single benefit and a downside. The whole point of it is that it's cheaper because you're spending your "Free Army Buff" on a "Faction Buff that you have to pay for" instead, hence the discount.

All other chapter tactics are a PAIR of FREE buffs. This is a single buff that you have to pay for.

Cool. Seems like pretty neat stuff. The only thing that stuck out to me as Odd was some of the core formation benefits, like Blood Axes getting Shrouded on all of their stuff, or Red Sunz vehicles getting something similar as well.

Those benefits seem a bit much to me, though I could be wrong. Red sunz is at least fitting, though I think it might be more fitting if it allowed the normal vehicles to Jink instead of just being a flat cover save.

Overall, really neat stuff though.

>Gifted
May take relics from any codex at the point cost given in the codex.

Well, as long as I can include cultists that's fine. I don't use too many of them, but I like having my little squad of Hereteks following around my warpsmith, and the other squads which I've done up as potential initiates.

Sonic Weaponry on all those different things is a very nice touch though. Noise Terminators and Sonic Predators are both very awesome additions. Plus getting Sonic Blasters on HQs is nice as well.

I did miss the Daemon save when I was looking it over the first time, which helps it a lot. While it still feels a bit lackluster to me, I think I'm mostly underestimating the psychic powers.

Pretty much every single Slaaenshi Daemon unit has Rending, so I felt it was appropriate.

Can't hurt, after all.

It Was a Gift
>If a unit with the Blood Ravens Chapter destroys an enemy unit. The Blood Raven unit may elect to replace their bolter/bolt pistol with one of the destroyed unit's weapon.

Aside from the purely mechanical sounds produced by walking, shooting, spitting, eating, etc, do Tyranids make noises?

If so, what sort of utterances do they produce?

Must be an Imperium of Man codex or supplement relic list.

If they made noises at all, it would likely be roars or hisses or growls or something designed to scare prey.

I always assumed it was Godzilla-style screeches

Tyranids with Sonic-Weapon roars when?

having the option is a big enough buff on their own

They Bray like Donkeys, according to CS GOTO.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

There were daemon weapons in DoW2.
Throw Chaos into that as well. (Both Marines and Daemons)

Are Dreadnoughts any good? What chapter tactics benefit them most?

Jesus Christ, that'd be terrifying.

>Lictor prowling around invisibly through Guard camp
>Sneaks up behind sentry
>Is within inches of the sentries ear, he has no clue it's even there
>Opens up its chest to reveal its flesh-hooks
>SKREEEEEEEOONNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
>Vanishes into the night, leaving a dessicated corpse and a bunch of pants-shittingly terrified Guardsmen

Already exists.
See Harpies
>Not nearly as good as what we want.

Not really.
Iron Hands

>Honorable mention of White Scars for Hit and Run Dreadnoughts

IG horror game when?

GW's new CEO seems to like pushing vidya.

>Are Dreadnoughts any good?
Extremely.
>What chapter tactics benefit them most?
Red Scorpions.

They're okay. Iron Hands is a pretty obvious boost. Other than that, it's mostly a matter of finding things that actually affect them.

White Scars can let them Hit & Run out of fights for however useful that is.

Black Templars can get Crusader to position themselves more quickly.

Some of the Forgeworld tactics might have more stuff, though I'm not as familiar with them.

>40k meets Amnesia meets L4D

I'd play it

Not really. They suffer the same problems of all the other vehicles.
The only one that is considered somewhat good is the SW VenDread with the shield giving him a frontal 3++

Here's hoping IA14 has a Tau based Guard list akin to Renegades and Heretics to represent Gue'vesa.

Tau needs them battle bros, as they, Orks, and Necrons are now the only factions without battle brothers.

They're an Auto-take for me. But then again I have 7 Dreadnoughts, one of which is a Deredeo, and 4 more on the way(3 Contemptors, and 1 Venerable).

I would say the best tactics are Iron Hands and Red Hunters.. Seeing as those are the only two chapter tactics in the entire game that really benefit Dreadnoughts.

Although I will give an Honourable Mention for Raptors tactics and Ironclads. Rending on Hurricane Bolters is a cute parlour trick.