Robot Apocalypse

What would a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robots look like? With robots as the successors and reclaimers, not destroyers.

Humans exist in small pockets: underground fortresses, and cultivated lands sustained by huge air purifiers. Many undergo cybernetic enhancement to protect themselves from the bad air of this strange new world.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cTLMjHrb_w4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What would a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robots look like? With robots as the successors and reclaimers, not destroyers
You mean like Engine Heart?

>Humans exist in small pockets
Oh, never mind.

Fireball Charming.

There was a Veeky Forums homebrew like this a while back. The humans went extinct or disappeared, and all the machines had to figure out what to do with themselves. They had to collect leftover human thoughts and ideas from digital networks and each other because they were incapable of original thought on their own.

It was Engine Heart you were refering to.

No. It was Lost Source now that I look it up.

I happen to have an entire game series that focuses on this point.

Also check out primordia.

Post apocalyptic is such a garbage genre that adding a new descriptor or element is not going to fix it. It's been raped by Walking Dead and Mad Max to the point of being utter shit.

Oh, it's you.

>I don't like THING

Good to know, thanks.

It's not that I don't like it, it's hat it is complete shit.

I don't like Breaking Bad but it's a good show.

I don't like Dungeon World but it's a good RPG.

Learn to separate your opinions from facts you fucking child.

My opinion is that I like it.

I don't care if it's "good" or "bad" because that's subjective evaluation that has next to no merit. I enjoy it, I will continue to enjoy it. Other people's opinions are also not facts.

Sorry user, you seem to be unable to seperate facts from opinions, like a child.
As cited proof, you claimed here
that an entire media was ruined just because you didn't like a few pieces of it.

Any further argument on this topic from you will be summarily be declared to be in bad faith after this evidence, and you will receive a bait rating of 2/10.

Man, posts like these make it hard to not buy into the summerfag thing.

>Learn to separate your opinions from facts
I kept a straight face until the last line. 5/10 would probably be upset if you hadn't outed yourself a few posts back.

If you cannot defend your opinions then they are not legitimate and are tantamount to supporting Hitler. That's an opinion too.

> inb4 le ebin meme of Godwins Law

2/10

I said "like". Post apocalyptic was a shitty genre beforehand anyways, and the many, many examples of it that are very poor in both storytelling and world building, simply cement its position as a fefuge for garbage writers and terrible GMs and game designers like D Vincent Baker and his edge lord shit.

2/10

>humans still exist
Man, that's much harder.
Usually robo-centric apocalypses are entirely devoid of humans to focus on the robotitude.

You have no response so you post /b/ crap.

Tell me a single good thing that post apocalyptic can do for rpgs that another genre can't.

1/10.

Adventure

The robots are aimless, working on ancient programming and (likely) self replication which means SOMETHING is being done, and neither the robots or the humans can say with perfect clarity what's being achieved, since this is literally just a world full of preprogramming being taken to it's most logical and eventually extreme. Make the world seem as if they are looking at every robotic structure is just a cog in a vast endless machine, and throw in heavy themes of evolution & change into the mix.

Yeah fuck off.

>why won't you guys get mad at meeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Once I wrote a short story about something like this. The robots are part of a pseudo-communist military structure, and they hunted down humans and sent them into hiding because the system had become bent on complete sustainability, to which humans have proven to be a liability. Edgetown, USA, I know. It was from the view of a single battle bot and his squad as they followed orders from what turned out to be a non-sentient command algorithm that just kept up the status quo of "we're the good guys because we're making sure the biosphere lives forever."

HEY GUYS

YOU MIGHT LOOK AT THIS, IT WAS BUILT TO BE A SCI-FI DARK SOULS GAME, BUT IT FITS YOUR CRITERIA, KIND OF...

I swear this is the same user every time a post-apocalyptic thread pops up.

do the robots have personality or just an objective?

maybe they are trying to learn as much as possible with many surveyors and laboratory's and the like.
or maybe they are desperately pretending to be human with names and jobs etc.

There's at least one Aasimov story along the lines of this.

I think it's funny how everybody thinks that a war against AI would be something that any humans anywhere would be able to survive. They would be able to wage war on us in ways we wouldn't even be able to comprehend. Your computer, your phone, TV, the electrical sockets in your house, everything would be fighting you. They would fill the air with carbon monoxide or boil the oceans or do any number of things that humans wouldn't be able to react to much less fight against.

There'd be no resistance, no coalition of nations fighting back desperately. Just one day your power goes out and you choke to death in your sleep.

That's assuming every machine in the world is connected, which is far from the truth today. And that the AIs would present a unified front and not war against each other the way other lifeforms do. And that they simultaneously achieve self-awareness AND malice in a unified manner at the same time.

All highly improbable at the same time.

Avengers Age of Ultron had it right
AI comes online, sees the internet for 5 minutes
>"Oh, this will NOT DO"

Absolute nonsense. The internet isn't synchronized like that and doesn't work that way. And very few things nowadays are connected to it (though more and more are).

Well sure we're not talking about this happening tomorrow, we're talking about it happening in 50 years.

And didn't you see Her? All those different AIs with their different personalities all got together and built a consensus.

Either way, regardless of if all the robot types all agree, humans are pretty fragile. They'd go down pretty quick once we start cutting off their food supply and all that other stuff.

It's the other way around; machines are very fragile. Networked machines even more so. Humans are supremely adaptable. We can survive for 60 years in marshes or arctic conditions. Good luck running a Beowulf cluster in the Gobi Desert without the assistance of bio-organisms.

Gotta remind people that machines are very fragile as well. Metal is well and good until something outside of their programming happens, then Nature takes its toll.

Exposed joints will quickly accrue dust, jamming and eventually causing breakage of limbs. As powerful as your car's engine can be, any one little thing can messing up can lead to a cascade failure.

Yeah, the thought of an AI getting control of nukes is scary, but even the military knows that would be a bad idea and would still force numerous, physical locks. Heck, sometimes we can barely get our basic devices to talk to each other, we don't even know if most AIs are going to have to be put in huge data centers where they go through HDDs and SSDs like we go through cells.

Holy fuck, do you even know what the internet IS?

>implying all robots will be for this

The end war will involve humans+robots fighting against robots

who wins will really depend on how many robots we pissed off, and thus, are on the enemy side.

I think this need to be answered before OPs question can be answered.

Also, is everything dead or just humans?

I feel like this fits the theme of this thread.
youtu.be/cTLMjHrb_w4

He's not wrong, the post apocalyptic setting has been hijacked by doomsday preppers, and other sorts that dream of shooting their neighbors and gathering a harem from the widows.

Let's put it to rest along with the other relics of the Cold War.

Stop the shitposting, post robot art instead

>a fantasy setting has been hijacked by people with fantasies
>I mean come on, it's the current year
4/10, made me reply.

>>City of Heroes
My Nigga

Only MMO I ever liked

I've had a similar idea but inverted: robots dominate but they remain subservient to a handful of humans left. Over the years, humans die off due to old age/flu/low birthrates while robots slowly gain proper sapience (as their masters simply do not exist anymore). Over the years, the "human" cities wither away while robots slowly begin to form civilizations.

Of course, this assumes a world where "humans" and "robots" are nearly the same, the latter able to die and reproduce (although, with cybernetics inside them from birth).

A power outlet cannot kill a person unless someone decides to insert a fork into it. Very few things on their own are capable of killing a person, exceptions include your car (ala that stephen king novel), besides overheating themselves and causing a house fire.

>It's been raped by Walking Dead and Mad Max to the point of being utter shit
So every post apocalyptic setting has to be that, right?

You're replying to a known troll.