Twitter:
>twitter.com/AM_in_PM
Previous threads:
>suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=beast in the sky
For Crew, Location and Ship information, please refer to the pastebin below:
>pastebin.com/u/AM-PM
Now with themesong!
>youtube.com/watch?v=5eVrlMoombE

Previously you heard Tabby's story about her time in the palace and why she wanted to kill the now dead merchant woman. According to her, the woman was a cruel, sadistic monster that would torture her and the others mercilessly. However, she swore she was dead when she got there and that she immediately came home after she saw what had happened.

Afterward, the three Nine Tails spies aboard your ship came forward as Kakei promised, revealing their identities and explaining everything they know about the murders.

You then examined the crime scene and managed to find a small pouch of poison used to feign death. Upon taking it to Wong, the only person in the city you know that would know about where to find something like that. He said he doesn't sell the stuff and told you to look elsewhere, then hurried you out of his shop like usual.

Then, you gathered up Tabby and the twins (whom you're pretty sure view themselves as your personal bodyguards now) and headed to the burnt out town of Blakkaz so the poor redhead could pay her respects. Little did you know, Blakkaz wasn't quite abandoned and two men were still hanging out outside, apparently living in the ruins; Devith and Chris. Tabby apparently knows them, but is just as shocked to see them there as you were.

Welcome back to Beast in the Sky Quest!

"Devith?" Tabby asks, stepping in front of you, "Chris? Wh...you're alive?"

The man in robes looks even more shocked for a moment, but visibly relaxes a bit when he sees Tabby. The drunk stares for a second, squinting. "Tabby? Th' fuck?" his speech is slurred and slow, "I though' y'were dead! How th'fuck you survive?"

"I could ask you the same thing, Devi." Tabby retorts, approaching the duo, "Is...is anyone else...?" Devith shakes his head wearily, spreading his arms wide.

"Welc'm t' the town of Blak'z; pop'ylatshn two."

"You've...been here the whole time?" she asks, shocked. "But...why?"

Devith scoffs at this. "Where we 'onna go, huh? Hueits? J's fuck around in the forest an' hope t'find some hidden village'a elfs or somethin'? We got nothin', red. Why'd your ginger ass c'm back? Hopin' t'loot some charcoal?" he laughs at this, almost falling backward, "Who's y'r frien's?" he points vaguely in your direction.

>Introduce yourself
>Use a fake name
>Other (write in)

>Other (write)

Commander Kazzeren McHale, at your service! (And if they ask where your ship/fleet is, you left it in another port)

Hey, glad to see this quest is up! Reading the thread now.

Introduce yourself as Isaac. Ask them if they need a doctor.

No, we've had enough trouble with fake names and I don't trust the murdergirl to lie for us.

Welcome to the thread, user!

Thanks, glad I could catch up.

Supporting this post

Honesty is the best policy, then. Writing!

new player here, questions for you real quick op

what's the tech level? do they have mass production like Ford or did magic powering everything limit manufacturing to the workshops of master craftsmen, like Faberge before the revolution?

what's the economy like? can anyone buy a radio or are they still rare? are there unions?

if things are powered by magic, is there no electrification? do radios run on electricity or on mana?

Tech level is essentially 1920'sish give or take. Imagine like WWI era machinery, but with moreso thanks to magic being a thing. There are cars, radios, electricity etc. as well as air ships, automatons and a few other things that would only be possible with magic.

Economy is mixed depending on what city you're in. The capital, Porphyra, is like the upper upper crust. Everything is expensive and only the well-to-do live there. Government gets a little more corrupt and greedy the closer you get to it. As for unions, there's the trade guild, which is meant to be a universal union, but some small pockets of people make their own if they're somewhere out in the boonies.

There is electricity, yes. Magic isn't always easy to come by. Radios can be powered by magic, but it's infinitely easier and more cost efficient to use electricity. Magic isn't terribly common for the layman. Air ships are very expensive, especially the larger ones.

That answer everything?

great job! I'll keep you posted
>1920s
is there a stock market?

you want to go full happy merchant?

just looking at our options. the first thread spoke of revolution and revolution needs funding

Can we fly our airship into the stock exchange?

You extend your hand in greeting, giving your best non-threatening smile. "Isaac."

Chris isn't giving you eye contact at all. You're not sure, but it almost seems like he's afraid of you. Devith, however, is sleepily looking you right in the eye, but not moving from his spot. At his current level of inebriation, you're not sure if standing is an option for him. You slowly lower your hand.

"Never heard'o ya'." he says, knocking back some more of his wine, "You Tabby's boyfriend're somethin'? Didn't know she was inta' dudes. Learn som'thin' every day."

Tabby flushes and frowns, but does her best to brush it off. "He's the captain of the ship I'm...working aboard right now. He saved me from the slavers. I owe him my life."

Devith belches. "Neat."

"So why are you here?" you ask, trying to break the tension, "I mean...how'd you survive? I heard it was pretty nasty here."

"Took a nap in the cellar." he replies plainly, "Best place t'catch some shut-eye. Chris came down t'get me, right b'fore the whole shit happ'nd. Rode out th'raid down 'ere. Think someone died onna' doors, dunno who. Body w's a black skele'n af'r I managed t'get out."

Tabby looks horrified. "You were stuck in the cellar...while our home burned. And what about Chr-" she looks to the terrified robed man and stops herself. "Right...he's...not to great with people. Doesn't say much to anyone. Really shy, but he's harmless." Tabby says to you.

"Hah!" Devith snorts, "Harmless. Chris...Chris show'm th' thing. Th'...y'know, th' thing."

Chris is shaking his head rapidly. Devith rolls his eyes, then flicks him in the side of the head. He whispers something to him and Chris' eyes go wide. He then takes one of the wine bottles and tosses it into the air.

(cont)

Chris watches it for a second, looking from a smug Devith, to you and Tabby, then back to Devith, then the bottle. He's panicking, but resolves himself. He quickly takes his guitar into his arms and plucks a single, drawn out note. There's a rattling in the airborne bottle, almost like something is bouncing around inside it, and then it explodes, raining bits of glass and splashes of wine all around.

"Awww!" Devith whines, "I thought tha' one w's empty!"

Apparently Chris knows some magic or something. You've never heard of breaking things with sound before, though.

>Ask how the hell he did that
>Offer them a spot on your ship right away, that was cool as hell
>Other (write in)

>>Ask how the hell he did that
>>Other
Offer them a spot on the ship if they'd like to get out of the ruins. Room and board with work.

No, no stock market due to the trade guild attempting a monopoly on everything. A stock market would just mean they'd have to give others a piece of the action. They own part of just about everything that involves money changing hands.

Ask him if this is a new ability.
Offer them medical assistance.
Offer them a berth onboard ship as passengers unless they have something they want here.

Thanks.

Writing.

>Ask how the hell he did that

>"You Tabby's boyfriend're somethin'? Didn't know she was inta' dudes. Learn som'thin' every day."
Lewd?

"How the hell did you do that?" you ask, amazed, as you wipe a bit of wine off your sleeve.

Chris says nothing, eyes still not meeting yours.

"Southern desert nomads." Devith says, still lamenting the loss of his wine, "S'also part of the reason 'es so quiet. None'a them talk much, but he's 'specially boring. They use music'n shit to kill things. Some kinda long stand'n tradishn. S'cool, but rare. Not many o'them come th's far North. Hell, Chris ain't even h's real name. Heard it once, b't couldn' pr'nounce it if ya put a gun t'my head."

"They've been friends since we were kids." Tabby explains, "Chris' parents came to town one day, barely anything with them, and just sorta...set up shop like it was nothing. Devith's a bit of a prick, but Chris seems to like him for some reason."

"Fair enough." you say, nodding, "Well, do either of you need any...uh, medical attention or anything?" The two shake their heads. "Alright. Well, I could always use more crew aboard my ship. You guys willing to work?"

"Well, I c'n cook." Devith says, patting a large case he's sitting on, "Chris ain't good for much 'sides music, but we're a package deal. You get both of us or neither."

"He's right." Tabby confirms, folding her arms, "Devith's a pretty great chef despite the look of him. And Chris is a sweet guy...plus I'd feel bad about leaving them here alone."

"Alright, deal." you say, "But we have some stuff to do here first. Tabby needs to pay her respects."

"Oh...yeah..." Tabby says, looking down at her feet. She doesn't look thrilled about it.

Should you accompany her or give her some privacy while she says goodbye to her family?

Accompany her.

Go with her.

Grieving companion it is! Writing.

Go with her but stay a respectful distance away.

Also we need to assess the town's remains. What the fuck was there a town here for? Civilization doesn't just happen, there are natural resources. Usually water access. Reasons.

You put a hand on her shoulder and she takes a breath. "We'll be back." you tell the two.

"We'll prob'ly be here n'less more bandits come back." Devith laughs, chugging more wine.

Tabby scowls, but says nothing, and you head off into the town. Honestly there's not much left. The whole place is mostly just husks of what were once buildings and the occasional blackened remains of the former townspeople. Crumbling, ashy piles of indeterminate origin litter the ground and as you walk Tabby is getting more and more distraught.

A short while later you arrive at a particularly large "house", you assume hers, and Tabby leans against what's left of a wall. "I'm...not really sure what to do here... This whole thing is new to me. I...I can't really recall ever losing any of my family before... My mom died a long time ago. I was young to remember, anyway, and dad never talked about her. Not even sure what she looked like. My brother left years ago after a really bad fight with dad. Said he'd find his own way and that he didn't need to be pampered by the rich and luxurious life. They never really agreed on much, but he was my best friend. He was always there when I needed him...no one could pick on me or hurt me with him around." the misty tears are starting to form in her eyes and her head droops low.

"He probably doesn't even know I'm alive now." she says, sniffing, "And hell, I don't know if he is either. He just...disappeared. I always said I'd find him someday, but I have no idea where to even start. I don't know...and now with this..." she falls to her knees and begins to weep heavily, her fingers digging into the carbon colored earth below her.

You kneel next to her and attempt to speak, but she stops you. "Not...not now. I just...now's...now's a bad time to talk, Isaac."

(cont)

You sit there together for some time in stoic reticence, Tabby occasionally making pained groans and murmurs, but nothing is said between you. She eventually manages to calm herself enough to break the silence, but still looks a wreck.

"Do you...do you think he could still be alive?" Tabby asks, eyes still focused on the ground, "Gilt. My brother. He...he was never a particularly talented guy. He was rowdy and didn't get along with anyone but me. I can't imagine anywhere someone like that could find a place to belong...I love him, but he was...kind of an asshole." she weakly chuckles at this.

>I can't even imagine where to look...
>Maybe he's in _____ (write in)?
>Other (write in)

>Write in

"We have radios. We can put out a signal. We need pilots for our flyers, and I aim to get some quick. Scout flyer training may as well start in this sky, do some recon for survivors. No guarantees in life, but no reason not to look."

>You kneel next to her and attempt to speak
Really, we're this inept? Interrupting someone's grief? MC is a sperg of the first order.

>Maybe he's in Vert.
Seems like the place for a 'rowdy asshole.'

Just FYI, your long range radio is currently down. You'd need to have the engineers repair it to do something like that. A simple enough job, but there's a lot of wiring to sort through. It'd take 2 days to get functioning.

He left years ago, flyers won't be any good for looking for him.

>>Other (write in)
"Well hes most definitely not here. Hes out there somewhere. Did you two have a place in the town only you two went? Could leave a note just incase he ever decides to drop by to pay respects."

AM even used the word rowdy in the town's description, if that's not a clue I don't know what is.

In light of I'm changing my suggestion to saying "No guarantees in life, but no reason not to look. when we're out traveling. And we can look for more survivors here. We have radios. We can put out a signal. We need pilots for our flyers, and I aim to get some quick. Scout flyer training may as well start in this sky, do some recon for survivors. No guarantees in life, but no reason not to look."

No big deal to add this to our task list.

Writing!

that works

"Well hes most definitely not here." you say, "Hes out there somewhere. Did you two have a place in the town only you two went? Could leave a note just in case he ever decides to drop by to pay respects."

Tabby shakes her head. "No, nothing like that. There wasn't exactly a ton of stuff to do here and we almost always had someone, one of the servants or something, following us around to make sure we were kept safe. My father was a kind man, but paranoid. We mostly would just hang out with the other kids in town." she looks at the wall and uses a small rock to scratch her name into the soot. "The best I can think of, I guess? At least then he'd know I was alive if he came by..."

"No guarantees in life, but no reason not to look when we're out traveling." you say, shrugging, "And we can look for more survivors here. We have radios. We can put out a signal. We need pilots for our flyers, and I aim to get some quick. Scout flyer training may as well start in this sky, do some recon for survivors."

Tabby laughs weakly again. "I can't see him following orders too well, to be honest, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Maybe he's doing well for himself somewhere..." she drifts into silence again, the tears trying to force themselves to the surface once again, but she fights them back.

"But don't go out of your way on my account. Who knows where he could be." Tabby says, standing, "Knowing him, probably in jail somewhere. Dad had to spend a lot of money to keep him from getting arrested pretty often."

She gives a deep sigh, composing herself. She then hugs you tightly. "Thanks again, Isaac. You're...you're my hero. I honestly didn't think the whole 'selfless hero' thing was real, but I guess we're all full of surprises, huh?" she gives you a genuine smile and a soft kiss on the cheek before letting go. "I think I got what I needed here...I guess. We can go if you're ready."

>Head back to Ao
>Stay for a while and see if you can find anything worthwhile

Why is there a town here? There have to be some obvious natural resources, or a source of water, or a trade route. We should get our new guys aboard and then fly around and do a brief survey.

Also gives our mechanics a moment to catch up.

Were we activating the Barrier? We should do that.

The barrier is operational, but you probably shouldn't activate it while you're docked. It's designed to keep things from getting through, so it'd damage everything around you pretty extensively.

Please roll 1d100 to do a search. Best of 3.

ash makes for good fertilizer after processing.

Rolled 12 (1d100)

rolling~

Rolled 87 (1d100)

Rolled 97 (1d100)

wew

AM "Rolls never fail unless it's spectacularly" PM's quests in a nutshell.

Writing.

Hey, Ares was bad at dancing. But just average bad.

You do a sweep of the town, not really sure what you're expecting to find and mostly just kind of curious. You'd feel like you wasted an opportunity if you came here and then just left. It's pretty much just as you expected it; ash, death and desolation. But, once again, life surprises you. As you're coming back, you find something stuck between two of the bricks on the wall around Tabby's former house. A folded slip of paper. A letter, in fact. It's clean...somewhat. Obviously put there after the the ransacking happened. The writing is a little messy, but you can clearly make out "Tabby" written on it.

Without a word, she snatches it from your hand and begins pouring over it with gusto, her eyes flying over the words at the speed of sound. As she finishes it, she frowns, but has an odd look of satisfaction on her face at the same time.

"It's..." she thinks it over carefully, rereading a part of the letter, "Not from my brother...but someone who knows him! All it says is that he's sorry and couldn't bring himself to come see the town himself, blah blah blah, typical Gilt. Never was good with emotional shit. He's doing well, but it doesn't say where. This is more like a 'goodbye' letter. I guess he assumed I died...I'm gonna find that idiot and kick his ass..."

"You sound thrilled." you say sarcastically.

"My stupid brother was gone for years and now he comes back!" Tabby rants, "After everything is literally burnt to the ground! What kind of asshole does that?! He's a dead man!"

She sounds angry, but you can tell she's fighting excitement. "He's gotta be somewhere close at least, right? Hell of a trip just for someone to leave a letter."

She has a point...

Should you head back now? You'd have to fly all night to get back to Ao. You could also spend the night there and leave in the morning.

>You could also spend the night there and leave in the morning.

>>Other
Have Tabby leave a letter where the first letter was found as well, just in case. Write on it to tell her brother to head to Ao for news on us or too look out for The Beast and Isacc.

Stay here the night.

better to get back to ship. That way if any shit happens we would be there able to GTFO faster.

So I'm guessing Gilt is either in Vert or Brun, unless he's become undead or an elf.

Trans-elf!

Writing.

It's pretty late and the two guys out front seem to have little issue staying here. You decide to camp out until morning and leave then. The Beast'll be fine until then.

You and Tabby find some spots to bed down, Devith long since passed out by the time you get back and Chris nervously nods to you as you return. The fire keeps you warm throughout the night and you enjoy a pleasant enough sleep.

Come morning, you are awoken by the smell of cooking meat and the careful plucking of Chris tuning his guitar. "Breakfast." Devith says, plunking down a plate of what looks like...bacon and eggs?

"Where did you-?" you begin to ask before he cuts you off.

"Forest." Devith says, rubbing his head, "Please stop talking. My head is killing me." he groggily sits down and eats without speaking, punching Chris in the arm to get him to stop messing with his guitar.

Tabby was right, this guy is a good cook. You have no idea what kind of meat or eggs these are, but they're delicious, so you don't question it. Tabby, her hair a tangled mess, hobbles up to you and grabs her own plate, yawning.

"So," Devith speaks up after a moment, though very quietly, "what's your deal uh...Ira....I...Isaac. Yeah, that's probably it. What's your game here? Fancy yourself some kinda gallant knight, rescuing damsels and fighting dragons?"

Technically you're a pirate, but he doesn't know that. Hell, you're not even sure you could say you are honestly. Very little piracy has been performed by you. What should you tell him?

I'm the captain of the most powerful airship on the continent. And it wasn't my plan to save as many women as I have.

Shit happened and that's as best I can easily explain it. I've been winging it ever since I took the Beast and escaped

"Just a man doing what a man can do when nobody else is up to a job, you know?"

We should keep our own counsel here. It's not that easy to hand over an answer.

This is a little skeezy and boastful.
I don't want to admit that we're making it up as we go along to our newest crewman.

I like this one seems kinda jack sparrow but he was a captain

Hey, you're a captain too!

Kinda.

Writing!

"Just a man doing what a man can do when nobody else is up to a job, you know?" you say, giving your best roguish smirk.

There's a pause, followed by Tabby snorting and laughing. Hard. Devith gives you a sleepy "really?" kind of look, and Chris actually looks...impressed.

"Yeah, okay Captain Dashing." Tabby says, coming down from her giggling fit.

"You're in good company, Devi." she says, sighing and wiping away a tear, "Isaac is a good man and the crew are great. We even have a Tul on board!"

"Huh. Neat." he says, leaning back. "I guess we could do worse. Just point me to the kitchen and we'll be fine."

Some more joking and laughter, mostly at your expense later, and you eventually pack up and head back to Ao. Chris looks terrified, you get the feeling heights aren't his cup of tea, and Devith looks bored. He doesn't really seem to care much for anything beyond food. Still, at least he seems simple enough as far as personalities go.

You arrive, turning the car back in and heading back to the ship to get everyone situated. You're met with a warm welcome and some news.

"So, Porphyra has admitted to your little caper...kinda." Ruul tells you, handing you the morning paper. It says that the Porphyran Navy is on a manhunt for someone who "made off with important government property of dangerous origin", but with no real information beyond that. No description of you or what you took. Still, this is the start of something dangerous.

It's a new day and the city is yours to do with as you see fit...within reason. What should you do? You still have that murder to figure out, your crew is always an option and you haven't found what happened to Neil yet. Though Wong said he'd contact you first.

The Vapor Canon will be finished in two days.
Commons in three days.
Ay'ia's "gift" will be ready tomorrow.

So, given that the guilds are powerful enough to control the means of production and challenge the government when it comes to things like holding back the creation of a stock market, is it the case that a power struggle within the guild system caused by the loss of the Beast from the crafter city could explain why the fuck the royal family and the government haven't mobilized the fleet to close the borders and fly out to every city looking for the flagship?

I mean, the iron grip of an overgrown guild system seems like the only thing capable of preventing a competent government of the most powerful nation in the world from leveraging centralized control of its own armed forces. Kinda like the East India Company factoring into national politics, or the merchants getting rich enough to raise massive armies before the Thirty Years' War. I can't think of another reason why the central government would be too weak to prevent the governor of an outlying town like Ao from engaging in the slave trade - let alone why they'd let governmental change by way of family feud slide without a decision being made upstairs.

This whole country seems pretty lax for the leading nation of its age in the face of losing its flagship. I really can't think of a way to explain it except for byzantine politics paralyzing the government, the royal family, the nobility, and the officer core controlling the fleet.

Mercantilist guildmasters seem the perfect bunch to run political games of byzantine complexity.

Check up on the ship and get the new members situated

Who owns the land in the mountains? If we wanted to create our own hideout/supply base, how would we go about it?

Take Tabby with us to go and do something about that murder thing.
Solving them that is, not committing them.

See if you can put together a list of the goods Ao takes in and ships out. We're a trader, it's time for economics to start applying.

See if the murdered class A trader's contracts need to be taken over by, say, another class A trader. No time like the present to get some work, we're bleeding money here.

I'm getting to the point where I won't have a choice but to become interested in Wong's shady job without some steady money, our finances are crap.

The murder she committed? She's admitted to killing the class-A, what else is there to this?

She was going to commit. The class-A was died when Tabby found her.

You ask a lot of questions I have the answers to, but can't tell you because meta. Sorry, user.
Technically it's all Porphyran territory, but the mountains are pretty much nothing but craggy, cold hunks of rock miles from civilization. There's plenty of rumors of monsters or secret societies and even dragons living there, but nothing even close to proof for any of it. As far as anyone knows it's a big old mess of stone and snow.
Their contracts go to whomever they're bequeathed to in her will. If no one is named her successor, they default to the guild itself. You do have the whole "commerce" floor plan your engineers mentioned. It would essentially turn part of your ship into a shipping dock for merchants who want stability and a place to do business away from the prying eyes and pockets of the government while cutting you in on a little of the action.
She never admitted to it. The opposite, in fact. She said she was going to, but someone beat her to it.

So three different ideas of what you should do. Anyone have a tie breaker?

Drop off the new members and then go deal with the murder thing?

Error code: 253 Text out of bounds

Supporting
>See if you can put together a list of the goods Ao takes in and ships out. We're a trader, it's time for economics to start applying.

Call up the new governor and offer him a trade route outside of guild control. Privateers are just pirates that work for the state when it's advantageous, smugglers are the same.

>because meta
So our trader isn't even conscious of the relative power of the guilds compared to the rest of society? That tells me something all by itself.

ill second this

that's a first

The fuck?
He was a Class C. He was essentially a hotdog vendor or delivery boy compared to the Class A's. C is bottom rung, they're pretty much patsies the guild uses for license fees and the occasional income from trade cuts. The people driving FedEx trucks don't know the inner workings of their headquarters either.

Writing.

AM once again breaks new ground in quests by breaking Veeky Forums.

You call up Kakei, who seems far calmer today than the usual rushed and stressed city leader he has been the previous days.

"Isaac, excellent timing." Kakei says over the radio, "I've got a lovely little lull in the work right now, so I actually have some free time for once. How can I help you?"

"Actually, I had a question about the trade in Ao." you say, kicking your feet up. "What are your main exports and imports here? I've been meaning to delve into my trader roots and get back into it. Money, y'know."

"Oh, of course." Kakei says, shuffling some papers around, "It's been a while, but I doubt things have changed that much...ah, here we go. So our number one is steel. We have a contract with Ghel over that and it's probably been our most lucrative export in...well, ever, really. We also have strong dealings in silks, wool, herbs and wheat. As for imports, primarily fish from Saffron. We also get a hefty bit of alcohol from Vert and recently I've heard of new trade routes opening up with Peck of all places. Some entrepreneurs have been discussing it at length and want to work on bringing a lot of their furs and clockwork here."

"Huh, you don't say..." you reply, thinking back to the brothers you convinced to head to Peck. Could that be them? "Well, actually, I was going to ask if you were interested in some guild-free trade opportunities with myself. It's bound to be cheaper by far, not to mention-"

"Sorry." Kakei cuts you off, "But...Isaac, I'm not interested in shady, less than legal dealings like my brother was. I am doing everything solely by the book. I understand you're a little fast and loose with the law, but I cannot let anything like this get tacked on me. I hope you understand. If you want to set up some trade routes through the guild, I would be more than happy to put in a good word for you. Ao could always use reliable and safe commerce like you."

"Ah...yeah, shoulda' thought of that..." you say, nodding.

Anything else you want to ask?

How's the investigation going?

Writing.

"You've elevated me in status so quickly I'm left ill-adjusted, Kakei. Is there someone you could recommend to serve as a seneschal to a newly minted Class A? I need a guide in the matters of trade. Don't want to get played by the guild now that I'm suddenly in the big leagues."

We need someone to show us the ropes. Someone who knows how to grease wheels. Someone who'll coach us into making our first appearance on the commercial map appropriate, someone capable of keeping things confidential.

Someone who can tell us the best way to preserve our necks what with our history, so we can benefit from ties to wider society so we can keep money coming in without, well, having them turn into liabilities by which we can be traced and destroyed.

"Well, how's the investigation going?" you ask, changing the subject quickly.

Kakei sighs. "Poorly. We have a feeling that it has something to do with the local triad here. They've been around for decades, getting in everyone's hair, hurting others and generally being a menace. They're hard to pin down and their leader is no fool by any means. But after some delving into the victim's dealings, it appears she's had more than her share of underground dealings, including with the triad."

"Huh..." you say, "So she was a criminal even before the whole slavery torture thing...?"

"Yeah, looks like it." Kakei replies, "If I'm being totally honest with you, a large number of the wealthy merchants skirt or outright break the law many times over...I hate to ask this, as I don't want to imply anything, but...I don't suppose you or your crew have any dealings with organized crime?"

What do you tell him?

Bump?

If talked to a guy in Ao who helped me get into the palace, but nothing major.

Yea let's not make enemies of the underground right now cause we do not have the means to counter that at all. The Imperium at least we know we somewhat predict their movements.

"We may have some viable contacts we could leverage we got in the course of getting rid of those pirates for you. We may be able to arrange something, depending on what you're looking for. A matchmaking or consultation fee would also go a long way towards justifying me taking time off from making my new operation solvent - it costs me gold just to sit still in your port, the way my expenses run."

"Tell me what you have in mind."

I got a fake class-A license from a guy to enter the palace the first time, but that's probably the most illegal thing I've done.
After the grand theft airship.
And the kidnapping of a governor.
And impersonating Navy personnel.

I like this, it doesn't give much away or commit to anything, lets us hear him out

Supporting

I really don't see the sense in always confessing to our crimes left and right

Hey, it's not like he doesn't already know all that stuff.

Putting the screws to the governor financially it is. Writing!

Is it just me or would it maybe be a good idea to have the twins teach us about combat and self-defense?

You never know who might be listening. At some point he might need to throw us under the bus.

Not really intending to put screws to him. It DOES cost us gold to meet payroll and feed mouths, if he wants us to play errandboy he can damn well help us do those things.

"We may have some viable contacts we could leverage that we got in the course of getting rid of those bandits for you." you say, "We may be able to arrange something, depending on what you're looking for. A matchmaking or consultation fee would also go a long way towards justifying me taking time off from making my new operation solvent - it costs me gold just to sit still in your port, the way my expenses run."

"You mean the port I'm letting you use and dock your unregistered ship of dubious origin at free of charge?" Kakei replies without skipping a beat. "Isaac, I hope you realize that withholding potential evidence to a murder investigation is a crime. I have been lenient with you thus far and, despite my own shortcomings, been very amicable with you. I'm willing to work with you in any way I can, but I am, first and foremost, a leader to my people. My city comes before everything else. You have asked me to be straight with you in the past and I have. I have given you crew, including two of my very best warriors, I have had my spies come forward, I have given you a number of boons that would easily be worth a small fortune on top of the actual money.

All I ask is that you not sour our relationship with these sorts of underhanded tactics and to assist me in solving this heinous crime. I don't wish to take it this far, but I feel I should remind you that I need to produce a suspect, and right now every bit of evidence I have leads to you in some way or another. So, I will ask you again, please. Do you have any information for me?"

Well, that backfired. What do you tell him?

Tell him about using the underground in order to procure a fake class A license to get into the Palace but nothing more.

>I know a guy who got me a fake Class-A in order to get into the palace.
Tell him about our Neil suspicions as well, the not-death powder and how it comes from Brun.

We already asked. At the end of the day, we haven't been here long enough to be privy to the deeper underground politics. And money can only grease wheels so far, assuming we had that much to spend.

The evidence that we already turned over was our best lead, but it really just told us that our murderer is very rich and probably quite powerful.

Still betting its Neil.

Oh, still live? Good european morning, folks!

Writing!
Welcome to the quest timing hell that is the American West coast.

1:40 in the morning on the East coast here.

Jump the gun much? I'd like some time for discussion.

No. What the fuck? Stop that.

>I know a guy who got me a fake Class-A in order to get into the palace.
Also no.

>Tell him about our Neil suspicions as well, the not-death powder and how it comes from Brun.
That I can get behind.