What would you say are the best perks of being GM?

What would you say are the best perks of being GM?

>perks

You finally get to do something with that world you were building. I love seeing how players react to the stuff I come up with. I also find being a player weirdly stressful for some reason.

That said, you need good players. Being the only halfway decent person in a shit group is 10x worse when you have to be the kitten herder.

Having sex with the players.

The overwhelming satisfaction gained from entertaining others.

Tried it once. Was a huge pain in the ass. Too much management for me.
I do, however, love that I can pick and choose, and morph whatever rules I want.

There are no perks.

You waste huge chunks of your time putting thought, effort, and work into crafting a campaign and a world for players to engage with and hopefully create an experience you can be proud of, only to have them shit all over it and then demand you work harder to entertain them.

The fame, the money, and the women.

Knowing exactly WHO the players just made that seemingly innocuous and mundane deal with, and planning on having it bite them big time much further down the road.
Watching the one player who has also read the lore figure out OOC who the contact they're traveling to visit is, then proceeding to panic as they don't want to metagame and would have zero way to know this person/thing IC, while the other party members are unaware.

/thread
/tripsoftruth

>women
men in skirts aren't women

But if you tell them that their feelings will be hurt and that makes you literally Hitler.

having the most creative control of where the story goes

Anything that lets me fuck it is female.

Playing God.

Even if i do enjoy GMing to some degree, it's still basically slavery.

>perks
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

go die, OP, being a DM is being foreveralone

It's exactly the same 'perks' as being a parent, except you aren't required to love them.

When my players tell me they had fun and compliment the session.

The feeling that all the work I put into the game is worth it, because it brings others so much joy.

Those are the perks, user. Going to bed exhausted and with a hoarse throat, but a warm heart and the biggest fucking smile.

Hanging out with friends with the knowledge that I directly contributed to making something that they enjoyed and crafting a story with them.

The fact that they always compliment and tell me how good of a job I do is great for the old ego to!

is this really how real life is like? How exactly do they "shit all over it" ?

Being able to explore something I created in my head with others.

Expect to have some control over their role in my story. The cheeky fucks.

Everyone wants you to be your friend.

Which means you get a couple of good friends and a bunch of faggots humping your leg.

I wish that was true for me

Power! Unlimited power!

Maybe you should come to the realization that you just suck at being a gm.

>he wants to fuck animals

it's not your fault you're a cat

Not setting my players up to fail, simply letting them set themselves up to fail.

It's as I constantly tell them, "Actions have consequences". They're finally starting to learn...

>why can't you make a better game user!

i know your feels, my brother

You don't have to put up with that other GM:s bullshit that forces you to literally backtrack so you can fight the encounter you just sidestepped, because fuck player agency right? The players are just here to ride the roller coaster of fun that is the same fucking encounter with a new flavor of boring.

I can't fucking wait until I go back to GM:ing.

that can SO turn on you

i prepared something from the 0th session in a game i ran and when the big reveal happened not ONE player had a reaction, it crushed me.

i hate players who just want to follow the line to the next fight while blocking out anything not leading to a fight.....like the thing horses wear to not see to the side

so freaking true
a player i had literally told me that i should do more stuff during my non gaming time so that his character have less to do

Those are called 'blinders', and the term seems appropriate for some groups, yes?

fame? you mean instantly becoming the forever GM

money? maybe the players will give you some fries, sometime

women? hahahahahahahaha!

There's really no perks. I enjoy crafting worlds, stories, and NPCs. And am perfectly fine with my players burning it all to the ground if that's what they want to do.

amen

did you find the golden players to say this?
never let them go, never

Which is why I said
>That said, you need good players. Being the only halfway decent person in a shit group is 10x worse when you have to be the kitten herder.

lol, happened to me just last week

sidestepped a fight, monsters literally appeared before us

wait, blinders? hahahahahahahahaha! wow so appropriate i didnt even knew

at least kittens are cute, heh

but i agree, if you find good players, its all worth it
unfortunatly, they seem rarer than adamantine

The best part is that he thinks his encounters are fresh and new....when we solve each one of them the same way.

>Haha, this monster has this gimmick! What will you do now?
>Gee, I dunno. Beat it to death with our weapons and hope it doesn't do the same to us because the gimmick doesn't actually force us to use another tactic?

Losing your humanity

my gm only use custom monster made by him
you can guess the result
ive seen, suddenly changing immunities, status immunity that changed between 2 fights with the same monster, etc

Your better off becoming a QM.

Satisfaction from player praise and regular Out-of-game discussion.

Question Manager?

Quest manager.

As long as it is well done, custom monsters are kind of better.

I find dungeons feel better when they are not standard walls filled with level 2 kobolds and a dragon at the end. Monsters should be scary and dangerous and, well, monsterous.

It depends entirely on the custom monster and what sort of characters the payers got.

If all you got a sword, it's not like a ton of immunities actually forces you to play differently. Furthermore, if the immunities are unknown anyway, you won't actually play differently anyway before you find out, and even then you usually just substitute A with B, where B is functionally the same as A but grape flavored instead of lemon.

What actually forces you to play differently is if the monster attacks you out of your environment. Something as simple as a height advantage might cause that, since now suddenly you have to start climbing and avoid falling.

Getting to choose which system everyone plays, instead of having to settle for whatever they pick.

I fucking hate ropers.

in pathfinder, there's 5 bestiary now
surely you can find something?

and yes i dont mind a custom sometimes
but when all custom monster are basically mutating piles of flesh because the gm wont write down the customs, i just cant have fun
anymore

im venting i guess, thanks for the ears

great low CR enemies, choke that wizard!

Yeah, having a custom monster that is 'Its a x but immune to this!' is pretty awful.

Then again, you don't always have to kill the monster. Something like The God That Crawls or Deep Carbon Observatory with some amorphous pursuing horror can be ridiculous fun. Enviroment plays into it, but its how the monster uses it. Instead of something dull like height advantage, give it a network of hidden tunnels or echolocation.

As much as I want to
>Playing Pathfinder
I will agree that big bestiaries can be great idea sinks. However, they are all designed to be balanced, levelled and slain like some kind of MMO. Why not have monsters be actually scary for once, instead of 'Vunerable to +1 swords!'

My tumble skill is shit.

in my case its more of a lazy gm thing

we fight a shadow monster (custom) a player cast a spell to reveal all weakness

monster is weak to light! awesome, i summon shit loads of lantern archon and then he tell e, oh well, it not light weakness, its positive energy weakness! i asked him to just get his note next time to prevent confusion and he told me he'never write anything down'

>Wizard player detected

are you a call of chutulu player? you sound like one

i made a custom oni once in legend of the five ring, an oni of bad luck all his stats where multiples of 4 and he had invulnerability trait except for multiples of 4 damage

the only thing custom was this and they where much panic and fun

oni even laughed by saying shi shi shi

its a preference thing i guess, i do prefer to use 'legit' monsters rather than possibly totally unbalanced customs that change traits mid fight because the gm doesnt write his shit down

Ouch, sounds unfortunate.
I would say to bear with your DM though, we all have to learn at some point. Feedback is important if presented politely.

paranoia is an excellent counter to lack of tumbling skills

be covered in oil/grease at ALL TIME to foil grapplers!

i play wizard, arcanist, and pretty much all tier 3 classes in the 'official' tier list

i like tier 3 classes most to be honest

also i dont follow character class guides, im ot the optimizing type

Being the Architect of Fates. Bringing players into your game and making it theirs, at least partially. Picking a key to each of them, reshuffling things to fit them and make them feel good adn fitting.You want hack and slash? Hehe, see, these demons are everywhere. Hack 'em up hard. You want some intrigue? The lich claims to be the righteous heir to the trone, local duke has shitty relations with the church, and rebels want to democracy. Lolrandomness is your choice? Welcome to the bard band of happy little boozers. Everything goes as planned, and players completely fucking my plans up is also a part of my master plan.
It's like being a champion of Tzeentch and Slaanesh at the same time.

>When most of your players are good players.
Watching them evovle.

>When most of your players are bad players.
Watching them devovle.

I'm a LotFP player primarily, so I suppose the weird horror preference is kind of the same.

Fluctuating stats are more a GM issue than anything else, although sometimes it is kind of required if your players are tearing through something or being torn through themselves. Just don't show the players the stats while they fight it, the monster dosen't have a HP bar.

Making the players fight everything is also kind of unpleasant. Better to scheme your way around and pick your battles with classic player cunning than spend 6 hours dealing d6 damage to the same enemies.

been years, i done this subtle and then much later blunt as a rock but he just doesnt want to even try not being lazy, heh

ive had this one player, he literally mastered the ways of making his character shoot himself in the foot

super gimp himself at char gen, make obvious bad decision without even noticing it, its sad really

but he is the BEST at making me come up with GREAT ideas. he freaking named half my characters.

i agree on the not just frontlining all encounter part

Once in a while you'll get one like that. I had one who chased sketchy power sources (like lycanthropy, evil contracts, aweful rumours). Of course the downsides almost always outweighed the benefits.

I get to steer the events around the players and single their characters out for special attention. Doing spotlight time is usually the most fun part of the session for me.

I can choose to be lazy. If I don't feel like doing much work for next week I can just text: "Okay, homework assignment: come up with a frame for a mini-scene involving whatever your character gets up to in the downtime between adventures, the prompt for this one is 'obligations'. Other PCs can get involved in each others scenes or not, it's up to you guys. We'll play it out at the table." Then it turns into an hour to an hour and a half of ad-libbing off whatever they come up with and kicking back while they interact before I have to slide some more game in. 80% of my role is riffing off what happens when the players start poking around whatever house of cards they're up against this week.

I mostly don't have to bring food.

All the food you get "bribed" with

ka-bump

When you ship two of your players and a few weeks later they start dating

What does 'shipping' players mean?

I get to be a geek about geeky stuff, hang out with my best friends, AND eat good food with them.
The fuck is not to like?

Rocks, user. He fucks rocks.

Never having to endure anything exciting.

>devovle
Double what?

I'm guessing make them friends ('ship as in friendship?)

Putting them on a boat and sending them overseas.

Thanks

What I like most about being a GM is the interested looks I get when I quiet down the room for a new development, and then watching the players celebrate when they've beaten/discovered something. The free food definitely makes it great as well.

Definitely the sex I had with a girl I met through rpgs. She once took her underwear off in a game session and passed it to me as 'a secret note for the GM'.

>when the girl in your group has a crush on you
>when this bothers your players
>when you tell her you already have a girlfriend
>when your girlfriend is being a cunt and you start wondering if you would be better off with the girl from your group

This exact thing happened to me 2 years ago. Clearly we need to find each other and become our true intended gestalt form.

What's the matter, don't like fries?

More, or less, attractive?

Be careful mate, lots of RPG girls seem normal in games, but are total headcases away from the table.

C'mon Grandpa, it's the current year.

Girlfriend is more attractive, group girl is a lot more pleasant to be around.
Girlfriend is very independent, group girl feels like she would be codependent.
Girlfriend is great in the sack, group girl might be a dead fish.

I could probably work group girl into something nice, or she might turn out to be a dud. Grass is much greener and all that.

What would you suggest?

You're right about the grass greener. Also this doesn't seem worth the risk.

If you are thinking of proceeding best off to at least hang out with game girl away from the table if that is possible.

Look user, 9 times out of 10 when people cheat it's because of problems in their relationship and has little to do with the person they're cheating on or with. I don't know you but even from what little you've said it seems pretty clear that deep down you really don't think you'll be happier with this girl, you're just tempted to do it because you know you can. Try to make things work with your current gf and if that fails, end it. If the girl in your group still sounds like a good idea after the rebound part of the breakup is over, THEN go for it.

You I like.

devolve, opposite of evolve

i do, put ive had a rough spot and only thing i got was fries for like a month

i kinda overdosed on them

There's really no perks, but there is delicious schadenfreude when one of the characters fucks up big time. I had one person destroy the treasure that they were supposed to receive for the dungeon (what was essentially a hyper realistic Fabergé dragon egg) because they had been dealing with Tucker's kobolds and she was a paranoid fuck. Thought it was a trap, since she was the only one to realize it was not an actual dragon egg, and picked that shit right up and smashed it before anyone could stop her.

This is good advice, basically don't be a fuckboy.