Koreans In Space

Reading Legend of the Five Rings: Imperial Histories 2 had me thinking: of the "anachronisms" in space subgenre, owning to the booming Japanese science fiction industry, "feudal Japan/samurais in space" is quite common. Korea, however, due to a variety of psychocultural reasons, doesn't presently have a science fiction industry to speak of, almost at all.

You're the imaginative history buffs as well as the imaginative futurists, Veeky Forums. If anyone can manage, it's you.

How would you do a setting whose premise is "Ancient Korean History, In Space"?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwacha
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogue:_A_Hate_Story
store.steampowered.com/app/209370/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So looking up some stuff, America really has a history of just showing up in Asia and starting a kegger.

Just like with Japan, you can spice up any quest with 'Suddenly, Americans'.

Wikipedia seems kinda dry, you got any good historical incidents for us to bite into OP?

Depends on which period you want to cover. In my opinion, the ancient Korean "golden age" was the Joseon kingdom (14th century), though many would place it some other time (Silla is a common one, for example).

space turtle ships
space plastic surgeries
space sameface pop singers

Turtle ships IN SPESS MOTHAFUCKA

Space omnipresent political corruption and the country being managed by syndicratic electronics tycoons with connections to organized crime?

Pre-19th century Korean history in nutshell:

>We're shamans!
>No, we're Confucian!
>AND THEN THEY FOUGHT
>We're Confucian!
>No, we're Buddhists!
>AND THEN THEY FOUGHT
>We're Noe-Confucian!
>No, we're Buddhists!
>AND THEN THEY WERE INVADED BY THE JAPANESE
>Repeat until industrialization

>How would you do a setting whose premise is "Ancient Korean History, In Space"?
Have them being constantly stomped on by their neighbors and be an irrelevant tributary buffer state for the longest time until one of their neighbors completely stomps them to get at their neighbor one to many times until another superpower has to come along and rescues them, then they fight among themselves AGAIN and the superpower has to come back and save them AGAIN, and in the end they just end up being a glorified tributary who lies about their history to cover up how pathetic of a people they always were.

>Nip detected

Nah, just someone who didn't drink the gook kool-aid.

Really though, they were never really relevant

He doesn't look Japanese...

Literally the only thing of relevance Korea ever did was get invaded by Japan.

shut up zainichi

Isn't that a picture of a Russian?

Reskin Starcraft races. Koreans as Terrans, Japanese as Protoss, and Chinese as the Zerg.

You're welcome.

>Plastic surgeries
>Implying sci-fi Korea wouldn't just Clone all their women.

Turtle ships.
Based in an asteroid belt, that's tough to navigate for the capital ships of other factions.
Base the uniforns/space suit on historical clothes/armour.

>implying you could tell the difference if they started doing it now

Not even that relevant.
The whole thing was Hideoshi sending out all the potential troublemakerd to die, not a serious invasion.

What comes next?
>We're commies!
>No, we're capitalists!
AN THEN CHINA INVADED

>The joke
>Your head.
It wasn't very far. You're a pretty tall poster. Could have just reached up and grabbed it.

>How would you do a setting whose premise is "Ancient Korean History, In Space"?
I'd come up with Ancient Japan in space, then fabricate a bunch of fake artifacts and claim that Korea actually did it first.

>space sameface pop singers
>Genetically engineered KPop Diva Clones that act as peacekeepers by violently cracking down on undesirable elements and feeding the masses cute songs and dance routines to pacify them

>Genetically engineered KPop Diva Clones that act as peacekeepers by violently cracking down on undesirable elements and feeding the masses cute songs and dance routines to pacify them
Macross Delta minus the mind control disease and plus clones?

I hink Best Korea in space would be far more entertaining.

Best Korea in space isn't an all that rare concept. Military Science Fiction abounds with it, and if you squint just right you can even sort of kinda say some Star Trek factions are like it. Nobody ever does Yi San Sin in space, though.

I think that it's precisely the fact that Korea is a tiny, often roflstomped country that makes it such a great candidate. Space Opera is quite often about the weak enduring (if not defeating) the strong), in little victories which mean everything to them even if on the grand scheme of things they're meaningless. Firefly, Starship Operators, Honor Harrington, Starcraft, etc.

>Nobody ever does Yi San Sin in space, though.
May come with nobody knowing who Yi San Sin is. As I suspected, it's the turtle ship guy.

When the apex of your entire history can be summed up at a single cool boat concept and not much else, you know you're a shitty culture.

Don't say that. They invented the hwacha, too!

>Yi San Sin
Funny thing about that guy, he was a total fucking loser and was on the verge of being dismissed from his post until he won those naval battles. He never did anything of significance before or after the turtle ships, and the victories had more to do with the ships themselves than Sin himself.

>koreans mentioned
>people can only think of plastic surgery and being occupied by various nations
racist. i thought Veeky Forums was better than this

Except that there were very few of the turtle ships in the navy, they were more or less command ships, and the man was a genius naval tactician who made excellent use of geography in his battles. Further he managed to reorganize more than a century's worth of lax discipline and terrible training to create an effective fighting force. Further the man was so popular in the country at the time the Joeson dynasty feared a revolt in his name.

You really need to learn more about a subject than a single Age of Empires II mission.

Anything to contribute, Sejong?

>Sejong
I only know this guy thanks to Civilization and all i know about him is he's obsessed with science.

bunch of nerds playing league really good in an orbital station isn't that exciting

On the matter of Asians/mongoloids in space, how would you do Space Finland ?

Hey! My first thought on reading the threads title was about space Koreans and their rocket-arrow-cart things called Hwacha.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwacha

Could be easily enough replaced with missiles, for a sort of Macross-like effect.

>Ancient Korean History, In Space
So, pottery and three space kingdoms with tribal states?

And shamans!

Get on our level, gooks.

- t. every other nation on the planet

>Genetically engineered KPop Diva Clones
Would they giggle smugly as bullets bounce off their flawless porcelain skin and subdermal ceramic plating?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogue:_A_Hate_Story

I see you drank the kool-aid

Seojong
>> youngest legitimate prince in line to be in throne
>> the nerd, infamous bookworm throughout his life
>> his two older brothers couldn't be kings- oldest partied too hard, second oldest got the Buddhism bug
>> big on science
> > installed the sun clock and water clock-not the world first-and credited with world's first rain guage- but his son came up with the idea
>> contributed to other Astronomical and Meteorological contributions
>> and the metal printing press
>> improved agriculture to a point that it took 400 years (early 20th century) to catch up to the level it was during his reign
>> created a group of scholars to amend and push his policies
>> researched and refined gunpowder weapons- rare in militarily conservative country
>> created Hangul so the people could have a language that doesn't have 50000+ charcters

However
>> overworked and overate-diabetic
>> created a policy saying children of nobles and servants are socially servants from birth- Chosun eventually had 50% slaves
>> fired and jailed some of Court officials for opposing implementation of Hangul

*youngest of his brothers

Ever watch Joseon X-Files, OP?

Serious enough that doing so bankrupted his government and cost him the battle of Sekigahara.

>see thread
>"hey this looks fun"
>read thread
>close thread

This.
There's a demo on Steam, play it.
store.steampowered.com/app/209370/

>game by some canadian who doesn't know shit about korea and just uses some korean names
Not saying the game is shit, but if you're looking for a Korean game, that isn't one at all.

>looking for a Korean game
No one ever said anything about this being a requirement. L5R wasn't written by asians either.

I don't know L5R that well, but Analogue has nothing "Korean" to it beyond the names and is pretty clearly made by someone who doesn't know shit about Korea and its history, and is just using it as dressing. If you're looking for "Koreans in Space" then no, Analogue isn't what you're looking for.

>If you're looking for "Koreans in Space" then no, Analogue isn't what you're looking for.
It's a game about koreans in space- it's *exactly* what he's looking for.

Except it's not. It's a game about characters with Korean names in space. The characters and story has nothing Korean to it beyond the names.

It's like if I renamed the Star Trek character and made Captain Kirk "Lee Sungbin." That doesn't make Star Trek Korean.

They'd bounce off their stretched skin, feeling no pain due to full body Botox paralysis

So what's so un-korean about it? Examples?

Because there's nothing Korean to it beyond the names.

You could change the names to European ones and make it a story set in "medieval Europe" and it would work just the same.

Read Shin Angyo Onshi

Fun but it's fantasy not scifi...

To 99.99% of Koreans there's no difference. Theorized to be one of the reasons why Korea produces so mysteriously little science fiction despite having such a booming fantasy industry.

>Koreans in space
Zergling rushes as far as the eye can see

Don't most Koreans play Protoss?

That's a Korean manga?

What kind of Korea?
Current or Dynasties?

I'ts a manhwa, yes.

I'm assuming dynasties, based on the comparison to feudal Japan.

> Be conquerers
> Fly to some backwater planet to see if it has people to conquer in it
> No one there, planet inhospitable
> Get stuck
> Become relevant later by defeating as super power

Done.

a big thing in it is the separation of different family branches from one another for arbitrary reasons

that's a big deal in korean culture

>America really has a history of just showing up in Asia and starting a kegger.

I read that in Zed's voice.

What joke am I missing here?

In the Men In Black movie, Zed mentions that a number of aliens come to throw intergalactic keggers/parties.

So what would America be in this Sci-Fi Asia?

The distant and uncaring Earth Republic, like in Bodacious Space Pirates/Honorverse/Vorkosigan Saga.

I thought the whole twist was that as you investigate it becomes increasingly clear that the ship culturally adopted Joseon forms, especially in regards to oppression of women. It's a clear political soapbox but it's still grapples with Korean cultural ideas, albeit in a one-sided manner.

Got any more information on the game? Haven't played it and don't have time for VNs anymore, unfortunately.

A series of cultural failures - in space!

....이게 뭐야? 뭐라고? 너 싸울래?

이순신 in space fucker.

족발 are dumb fucks stole everything from us and chinese, only good at being assholes. Chinese too stupid to think of better system than using pictures and still have no alphabet. We are better. We made alphabet, 한글 is fantastic language. We make turtle boats, and 화차. We build up from nothing to first world power in decades. You want korean in space, you make smart and industrial.

Oh man, this is gonna be good.

I'm imagining youth in space who rarely see stars because they are completely enthralled by pop stars and virtual reality created by The Corporation. Young adults who are completely addicted to the system go through their lives barely awake, with all of the work being done by a combination of robots and lobotomized clones. Nobody has any ambition except to become the best in an eternal video game which has rules that constantly shift, completely invalidating the previous month's "pro players" and allowing a new crop of players to rise to the top.

It's not unheard of for a player to reach the top of the charts for two months, or even three in their entire lifetime. But to climb their way to the top and stay there for four months in a row is a feat that would have been deemed impossible before he did it. What can only be described as a religious cult has sprung up around this new champion - but is he the savior some of his more revolutionary fans claim him to be, or merely another pawn of The Corporation to be used up and thrown away as soon as he causes trouble?

Imagine Yu-Gi-Oh Season Zero, but with cyberpunk instead of ancient Egypt.

just looked back at the OP and realized he said ancient history. oh well, posting this anyway.

flip that image around and you can check dubs

What you forgot to mention is that they are best at math science and engineering. You westerners are dumb fucks. I learn your college math courses in middle school. We make things, you just sit on fat ass.

Ignorant faggot, korean culture far superior to Chinese or dumbass 족발 culture. Educate yourself, read about gteat king 세종.

Because you westerners didnt oppress women? I bet you did it worse.

To use phrase I see on this board, HERESY.

Go fuck yourself Jap.

Are you a idiot?

It's English by default; it's not Japanese made.