Solo Dungeoneering Quest 2

>"Welcome to Cifigo," says a guard and lets you pass.

>As you pass, you hear him say "Ya damned greedy dwarf."

You make your way around the town of Cifigo which is split, more or less into four quarters. A great deal of the town's fame comes from its Temple Quarter, with a temple to each of the 9 Gods of the land. It has a wharf along the river where one might find warehouses repurposed from old ruins, alongside similar taverns and brothels for the boatmen on the river. There is a merchant's quarter built around an ancient ampitheatre which serves as a market. Most of the new construction and residences have expanded like the spokes of a wagon around this marketplace. And finally is the Dwarven Quarter, by far the smallest, where dwarves try to practice their traditional metalworking crafts, jeweler's work, and the oft-loathed practice of banking.

The question now is where will you find a jeweller or similar merchant to appraise your loot from the dungeon.

[1] Go to the Dwarven Quarter
[2] Go to the Merchant's Quarter
[3] Other

Other urls found in this thread:

dungeonsmaster.com/2009/10/party-of-one-part-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You are Abram, a Dwarven fighter, thief, and adventurer. You make your way in the world by jumping into dark tombs where others would not dare and plundering their riches.

>Ruleset
Swords and Wizardry, a old school D&D retroclone

>Inventory & Status

Fighter 1/Thief 1 (both classes advanced simultaneously)

HP: 8/8 HP

Equipment:

On belt: Claw hammer, Hatchet, Dagger, Waterskin (3/4 full)
In pocket: Sling
On backpack: Bedroll, Small sack of (20) sling stones, shovel,coil of 50ft of rope
In backpack: (2) days rations, thief tools, (3) torches, steel mirror, (10) sheets of parchment, small pot of ink, pen, blanket

Loot: Jewel-encrusted Silver Chalice x2, Jewel-encrusted Gold Chalice x2, Silver platter x3 = 150gp

XP = 200 + 150xp = 350/2000xp

Dwarves quarter?

Last Thread

>

I'm just sort of rolling with the Dwarves=Jews thing that Tolkien had

>inb4 a billion Happy Merchant pictures

Writing to go the Dwarven Quarter

You decide that it might be best to spend some time amongst your kin in the Dwarven Quarter and get your loot appraised there. In the centuries since being driven from the mountain holds by the goblins, Dwarves have scattered across the land and often made their homes amongst Men. Thus a peculiar building style has been adopted - a tall first floor to allow for human guests and customers and lower ceilings above to maximize the space for dwelling above.

The other dwarves eye your short beard with some disdain as you walk in the cobblestone street. Given that the fashioning of jewellery is something which dwarves have taken well to, it is no trouble to find a jeweller to appraise your wares.

Malick is his name, and he eyes your loot in a back room behind his counter.

"These are rare. I remember my father's father telling me of a time when men worshipped dual gods of the Sun and Moon, and this must have come from one of their ruins. I'll give you 100 doubloons and 50 silver pieces of 8 for it."

(He wants to give you 105 gold pieces for it)

[1] Haggle him for more
[2] It's enough money for now.
[3] Other

OP I had fallen asleep and missed last ones ending, how did it end? just tell me briefly not redirect me to archive ;/

ignore this post actually

if he's offering 105 for all our loot, than [3] haggle his ass

if its only a few of the items, than keep the price

Got some loot and headed to a town with a vaguely Spanish name.

Thanks, see
(My response)

Ate dinner. Here's the update

"I don't think so," you say, reaching out your hand to take the chalices and platters, "That's too little for a treasure such as this."

The Malick the Jeweller strokes his beard, "Aye, but I must turn some profit from the sale of this item. Indeed, they might sit on my shelf without a seller, and I will have lost some one-hundred doubloons and then some. One-hundred doubloons is a handsome sum, you could buy an apartment for several months on such money and the silver might cover your food."

"One-hundred and twenty-five doubloons and the silver would be a more appropriate price, I think," you say, "You can make a profit, and I believe you will since these are very beautiful."

Malick the jeweller considers your offer before returning one of his own, "One-hundred and five doubloons, and a hundred silver. That is the lowest I will go."

[1] Take 115gp for it
[2] Leave it

Choice 2: Where to next? Please consider what you might want to do in a given location, like find lodging, sell the loot, look for rumors of treasure in seedy taverns, etc

[1] Merchant's Quarter
[2] Continue to explore Dwarven Quarter
[3] Wharf

tell him we have to consult with our party (which obviously doesn't exist) as we actually move to the merchants guild to get an appraisal. tell him we will be back.

Writing for

Anyone know of any good guides for running adevntures by and for yourself? Specifically 5e d&d?

dungeonsmaster.com/2009/10/party-of-one-part-1/

This is something I read that I thought was useful, both in preparing for this and for a general situation.

One thing to be aware of in play-by-post games, though I would say this is more of a problem in a more modern game like 5e or heaven forbid 4e or 3.PF, is that combat can be slow as molasses.

I don't want to reveal all my tricks, since I am DMing/QMing here, but you do need to adjust your encounters.

You take the chalices and platter back into your sack.

"Sorry, but I'll have to consult with my party. I'll be back later."

"Take your time, lad," he replies, taking off his spectacles to clean them with a soft cloth.

It's roughly noon by the time you get to the Marketplace, where stalls rise up from the old seats. You have to move quickly before it shuts down for the combination of lunch and siesta. You do find a merchant in colorful green and blue robes who might appraise your wares, a fairly young man -perhaps thirty, with a clean shaven face and neatly waxed moustache. He is at first unwilling to do business, since it is time for a siesta, but the allure of gold persuades him otherwise.

"Would you like to lunch with me, Sir Dwarf? My name is Bosco. I musn't miss a siesta, but I'd be happy to talk business."

[1] Take him up on his offer
[2] Do something else and return later
[3] Other

take him up on his offer

Hope youre still around OP

I am actually still around. I think I'll go till 11:30, with hopefully 3-4 more updates, depending on the pace of responses.

Bosco the Merchant takes you no small distance when it comes to a place for lunch. Inside the wharfs, the smell of fish is immediately apparent. Almost none of the buildings are new; many are from some ancient empire - merely repurposed. Some of have stucco facades in the new style, but the fat arches give away their age. The two of you make a strange pair, him a colorful merchant and you, some sort of ruffian in dour dwarven colors.

He takes you past brothels ("Don't tell the wife I passed by, Sir Dwarf") and gambling dens to a hole in the wall. A wooden sign with a painted toad and rooster gives the only indication to the name of this place.

"The Cock and Toad," he says, "It might not look like much, but I assure you that the fare is delicious."

You step inside and are met by the smell of seafood. Indeed, you are very happy to be in this sort of place - for dwarven dietary restrictions means that you do not eat, among other things beef - and this is a land where the Men love their beef, and often in sausages mixed with acceptable meats.

"Thanks, Master Bosco," you say.

"I've worked with dwarves before," he admits.

The two of you settle into a booth with a jug of cheap red wine, and a pair of the house's clay pipes.

"What is your name, Sir Dwarf?" asks Bosco.

"Abram," you say in between the process of lighting your pipe.

Bosco draws closes a curtain over the booth and asks, "Would you kindly take out those items?"

You take out a gold chalice, a silver chalice, and one of the platters. He examines them with a more serious face.

"These are indeed marvels, and worth a small pile of doubloons altogether. I would indeed be happy to take them off your hands, but you must understand that only a few wealthy buyers would be able to afford them."

You blow a smoke ring and ponder what he will say next.

"That however, is all I will say at the moment -- you may put them away; we are indeed here for food and libations."

Your clam stew arrives with his grilled eels on skewers. Between them is a loaf of bread and a small wedge of cheese. It is indeed very tasty.

"So, how much would you say?" you ask, some time later - having consumed the stew. Between the two of you, the loaf of bread is gone as well as the cheese. So is much of the wine.

"I would say that I would sell it for between 140 and 155 doubloons as a set. So I would give you perhaps 120 doubloons all told."

Bosco gets a glint in his eye.

"I'll take it now before the competition can take it for 125 in a combination of doubloons and silver pieces."

[1] Take the offer
[2] Return to Malick the Jeweler
[3] Other

Return to Malik?

Take the 120. Malick only offered 115. Bosco seems like a cool dude.

Bosco seems shady. This will come back to bite us. But ok

Sheeit. I'll continue from these responses on Wednesday. Will make and post twitter in /qtg/