Veeky Forums opens CCG sealed product

What up fa/tg/uys! Let's open some CCG sealed product.

Today I have a Russian booster box of Oath of the Gatewatch and a bunch of stuff from the 1990s game Middle Earth, based on the LoTR universe.

Will we get anything good? Probably not, but it will still be fun!

From Middle Earth, all the small black boxes and the loose boosters are from the first set: The Wizards. It's generally the most useful set when constructing decks. The set is based on the five wizards trying to defeat sauron.

The brown box is the first expansion: the Dragons. This set adds dragons and their treasure to the game.

The white box is a later set: the White Hand. It introduces a new playable faction of fallen wizards that have given up on defeating sauron.

I'm still learning the game, so I don't know a lot about the rules yet. The game is super complex!

do it

But I know that most of you probably don't care about dead CCGs! So let's start with magic!

We will probably open some magic for awhile, then jump around to open some other stuff. Also have some star trek cage boosters, maybe we will grab a few of them too!

I'm super excited to open this, box though! I've never bought a full box of a foreign set before

Why Russian, OP?

Show me some sweet expeditions, OP.

How much did the Middle Earth stuff cost?

Where are you from OP?

I just think the language looks cool. Dunno if I really have a good reason, just like the flavor. And their forests are called Alec. That makes me chuckle.

Watching with interest.

Starters were $8-15 each, bought in different lots. The Wizards set is kind of pricey. I finally found a booster box of it online and had to pay $120 for it! That one made me cringe a bit. But alas, I wanted it.

The Dragons box was $43 shipped. The White Hand booster was $45 shipped. Both of those are the cheapest sets for the game based on current prices.

lurking as always

Alright, let's get this donkey show on the road!

The packs.

The back.

Under the flap.

Packs are super glossy and loose.

>belgium
Russian can't into printing

C'mon, OP. I don't have all day.

If you get a expedition Horizon Canopy I need that.

Aren't Shadow Era cards print in Belgium to?

Look the forest says Alec! The lands and the tokens are the booby prize of this box. That's what I'm playing for. Hopefully I get a foil land!

And Drana's something for the rare? I can't remember.

Nissa's expedition? Or something.

In Russian, crab is Kpa6.

>Look the forest says Alec!
OP, it is not Alec - you read this as "Las" like in polish. In russian alphabet c = s. For example - their plant token is "rastenje" because you spell P as R, C as S, H as N and reverse N as I

They did not even translate the word planeswalker.

Also, Cнaйпep Зaды reads as sniper asses. And then there's this denier of gravity thing.

Dread Defiler?

>>the backs are different
REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Oath of Jace. Pretty sure that's right!

Island is the most fun land to say. Oct-pob.

Stormchaser Mage is great.

Pupil of forger of rocks!
Embodiment of insight!
Mage who chases storms!
Tadjurian she-guardian of paths!

Dodging Settlement!
Devourer of Canopy!
Siever of skulls!

Bloody hell, this translation!

Reality smasher I think. And foil oath of Chandra!

I actually really want to play EDH super friends!

EDH Superfriends is pretty dank.

Oath of Gideon.

Holy oaths batman!

Only Nissa left, the only that's actually worth something.

>Bouncer bro
noice. Shit saved me from a TITI wipe

Drawer-out of Essence!

Gift of Tusks!
Calmer-down of Spawn!
Kor, Celestial Mountaineer!

Eater of Mists is the rare.

Sees fringe play.

Minn and something else?

Nice job unpacking more topas. I might buy some for my Krenko deck.

That rare is an Overwhelming Denial, aka surge to counter spell and can't be countered.
If you get any of those 4 mana mana rocks that make 2 or you can sack for 2 draw keep them. They see tons of commander play atm.

>Cliffhaven vampire
My favourite card from this set

Armor of someone? Solid armor IIRC.

Zombie token going right to the Thraximundar EDH deck!

When a child breaks their toy, who do they give it to?

Topa!

Stoneforge Masterpiece
Really meh. Could have been an uncommon and just be a good draft pick for RW equip agro.

Eldrazi Obligator. Pretty sure about that one.

And best art Wastes! Yus.

>doesnt know the card name

something tells me you have a bit of disposable income lmfao

...you son of a bitch
Goddamn man, you're getting more Bounce Boys and I am jealous.

Munda's Vanguard? Munda's something.

Back to back best art wastes!

Quick question OP
How much did a Russian Booster Box cost? I assume it's much more than the usual one due to foreign language and such, but still.

Endbringer.

Big triangles over this dude's head, so you know he's one bad motherfucker.

Yes, they carry a premium. Russian seems to run $100-125 for in print sets. Older stuff tends to move up quickly. Khans is stupid, it's like $200 a box right now. Dragons also seems to carry a premium at closer to $150. Origins is also usually more than the Zendikar set.

I paid $100 on ebay for this box, which I consider a pretty good bargain. Although this was one day after I bought a box for $110 shipped from the Ukrane. Which I also considered a bargain at the time. So as you can see, I didn't have any choice but to buy two.

Shit nig. Maybe if you get lucky you could snag some older booster boxes.

It's weird though, you might be able to get more for cards in Russian or an asian language because it's a different alphabet.
Cards in an English alphabet, but another language, are almost always less.

Oath of Nissa.

Oaths are complete!

Actually have a Korean version of this card for comparison!

Communist Ivan give good deal cykablyyyyyyyro, buy two box of magical fairy hand hold of colors game, get teener primo krokadil, no charge as long you send picture of mighty squat blyat

Corrupted Crossroads.

And some sweet Noah Bradley art!

Foil Eldrazi something!

Thought-Knot!

Eldrazi look pretty cool in Russian.

Congrats. Now you can Superfriends.

Let's take a quick break from magic to open one booster of each of these sets!

Never opened boosters from Middle Earth before, only starter packs. Let's see what's different between the sets!

First set the Wizards.

These are the limited edition, they are a smaller run, and have black boarders compared to the normal blue. Lucked into these with a lot of some starters.

First expansion set, the Dragons.

Top packs are a little worn! Circa 1996!

Later expansion, the White Hand!

Just noticed both boxes are limited! I guess that's good?

Packs.

Backs.

Rare is bottom left. Sword of Gondolin! Neat!

Still learning this game.

The Dragons.

Love the art in this game!

The White Hand.

It's Saruman! And Radgast's bird!

>All those junk commons
delicious
If you ever figure out how to play this, could you teach us? Seems intriguing.

I will try! Maybe put together a 101. But when I say this game is complex, it's almost make your head hurt complex when you start. Like Mage Knight hard!

That Saruman above is a playable main character. You can tell by the rune in the top left corner. That black hand with 12 in it is how many 'minions' he can control under him. 12 is a very high value from what I have seen!

From there you assemble your party and gear by traveling around Middle Earth. You start in a major town, run out as far as you dare to play some better location specific cards, then come back and heal at town. And play 'DM' in a sense by throwing obstacles and creatures at your opponent on their turn to try to kill them.

I have the map in the mail now!

OK, back to magic!

OK, this one's Dread Defiler?

And a wastes!

There's a middle finger in that wastes btw. My handiwork!

No. That's bearer of silence.

>that terrible edit

And a something land?

Topa makes some weenies.

Crush of Tentacles.

This box does have mythics!

Land and foils I can't remember!

Mimic and Bushwacker.

I know some cards!

Only missing Matter Reshaper to finish the Eldrazi Doom drops.

Inverter of Truths and foil Spacial Distortion?

Is inverter of truths the should-have-been-a-rare mythic?

Gotta love you some angels!

Looks awesome!

Weaponsmith something?

Yes if you like chase Mythics.
But it feels like shit pulling a Mythic that could have been a Chandra.
Wizards should stop mixing chase Mythics with shit-Mythics, or make them all chase cards or make none.

The rare is Ruins of Oran-Reif

Call of the Gatewatch. Or something. More superfriends!

And a foil Noah Bradley Topa!

Awwww yeah.

Needle Spires!

I'm a big fan of man lands.

Another what I now know is sea gate oracle.

Now dread defiler right?

Shit son, a foil Topa?
You deserve it m8

The hedron! And this foil!

The Ruin Diver!

On a similar note, I have a foil of that lion with antlers card. Works hella well in my casual group since one player loves big green monsters and I love watching his 8/8 monster do 0 damage and getting killed by a 1/1 death touch rat while boosting my health up to the 30's.

And reshaper. Got the combo!