/shg/ - Super Hero General

From street-level to cosmic and everything in between, this is the thread to discuss all things superheroic, at least as tabletop games go. Mutants & Masterminds, Marvel Heroic, Heroes Unlimited, Dark Champions, Villains and Vigilantes, and any other system out there, this is the thread for you if you want to feel superhuman.

>System repository
pastebin.com/bU7vZFAN

Cape World pastebins:
>The Generals
pastebin.com/4ZEeWk7F
>Statesmen
pastebin.com/qCgQBDgr
>Hollywood
pastebin.com/2Bp49SEa
>Las Vegas
pastebin.com/ysD4JsRR
>Japan
pastebin.com/wz33giaC
>Germany
pastebin.com/pVweBM4F
>Generals' Villains
pastebin.com/gms0S8Vb

Previous thread: Current topic: Nazis! How do you handle Hitler, his Third Reich, and World War 2 in your superheroic setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

desustorage.org/tg/thread/47325510/#47326560
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Missing a couple of paste bins created last thread.

Any ideas for Japanese ww2 capes? I'm thinking a Kitsune saboteur. A miko with wind powers that knocks planes from the sky who was the ancestor of the modern flying miko. Given the deification of Hirohito maybe a god would show up? Amaterasu maybe, but she is sort of a go-to goddess. Japan have any badass scary gods?

orochi could be the name of some super group, like some sort of evil super sentai group

and of course I for get the pic

Maybe like some kind of eight member hive mind? They work in perfect mechanical unison.

Just some rough ideas.

Kamikaze: A former pilot injured after an air raid. He has the ability to change into a fast moving, heavy state that explodes after impacting. He changes back into his regular form after the explosion.

Under Pressure: A submarine crewman who was trapped in a pressurized bulk head after his submarine hit a mine and sank. He was thought dead, but he developed a power to manipulate pressure near him.

The Bandaged Woman: After Tokyo's hospitals were full because of the fire bombings, stories appeared about a woman capable of manipulating fire. Investigators found that this woman was a high level pyrokinetic. She is covered head to toe in white gauze bandages and is incapable of sight or speaking as a result of her injuries. As a result of her powers, she is capable of detecting heat.

Playing off of this idea for the Wyoming Black Hole
desustorage.org/tg/thread/47325510/#47326560

It might be a neat bit of story if there was an occasion where he was called out of his correctional facility, and when some of the inmates started reverting back to their old ways and tried something, the older inmates, among which were some of the worst criminals, band together to stop any riots and try to calm down the situation before the guards or other inmates get violent.

Some psychic, working at the facility or a PC, could scan their minds and find that their attitude is not a lingering effect of the Black Hole's power from being with him for so long, that there is currently no trace of his calming ability in them. This could be proof that the Black Hole's methods have potential to be more than just a leash, and a bit of hope that super criminals may actually recover.

Cape World recap of the Third Reich (up to this point)
>Hitler was a regular, if exceptionally charismatic, human
>The Third Reich had its own superhero stable: the Übermensch Gesellschaft ("Superman Society")
>There are currently three Nazi heroes of significant note

ODIN
>Odin I'm seeing as a guy with one of his eyes replaced by a red orb with a Swastika that shoots energy ray and wielding a spear that projects waves of energy with each swing. He can do the Midnighter thing where he can see all the outcomes to a fight before it goes down (representing the mythological Odin's knowledge of everything). He fights with two flying warriors dressed all in black from head to toe as his wing men, Hugin and Mugin.

SON OF SIEGFRIED
>Son of Siegfried is probably some kind of super actor who stared in films before Germany invaded Poland. He's probably the most "innocent" of the Gesellschaft, not fully "getting" the scope of Nazi atrocities. He has an extremely romanticized view of combat and his handlers keep him away from the worst scenes of the war in the hopes of keeping his moral up.
>Dresses in an elaborate Siegfreid costume, maybe one he acted in when he was a performer. He likes to challenge Allied capes to one on one combat.
>Power wise he wields magical swords gathered from throughout the world by Hitler's Volund project that grant him a variety of powers, but whether they are the actual swords or copies remains to the discretion of the GM. In universe his collection of swords is a common "unsolved mysteries" topic. He wielded three, Gram, Balmung, and Nothung. These are code names taken from names given to the mythological Siegfried's sword. What these swords really were no one knows.
>This can easily tie into the story of the Connecticut Statesmen that wanted to master all swords.
>As for why he's called "Son of Siegfried" and not "Sigurd" its probably because Goebbels knew the Siegfried name would have more impact. "Siegfried Line" and all that.

ASTRID
>Astrid ("divine beauty" in Old Norse) was one of the shining lights of the Übermensch Gesellschaft, the proverbial heart of the team. Her beauty and poise were one-in-a-million, her dignity knew no bounds, and her ferocity in combat was rarely equalled. Like Freya, the mythological queen of the valkyries, Astrid had a mystical cloak of feathers draped off her back that granted her flight. Combined with her mastery of arms, she was a screaming devil in the skies and on the ground, hurling blasts of radiant energy and cleaving foes with her enchanted blade. When she wasn't in combat, she was most commonly seen as Odin's arm candy. While she was privy to most of the Reich's horrors, she secretly disagreed with their policies. Publically, Astrid disappeared without warning.

THEIR FATES
>Odin's fate is unknown. He may have died at Stalingrad, he may have suffered from one of Hitler's assassination attempts, he may even still be alive.
>Son of Siegfried silently retired to become a family man. He is presumably the man Connecting Cut (Connecticut's Statesmen) challenged for the legendary swords.
>Astrid was accosted by an Amazon for besmirching their name. She was spirited away to the Mystic Archipelago, where she was brutally beaten in a duel with the Amazon. Stripped of her gear, she was sent back to the real world disarmed and disgraced, but alive; she never returned to Nazi Germany.
>>Two generations later, Astrid's granddaughter, of German and Swedish parentage, tracked down and challenged the Amazons to a duel to avenge her grandmother's honor. Impressed by her spirit and fighting ability, the Amazons let her reclaim most of her grandmother's gear, which she then repurposed and modernized to become the next valkyrie to soar the skies.
>Other members of the Gesellschaft died at Stalingrad, to the French resistance, or went into hiding.

I think black hole man and his super prison have great potential for a game. Think a team of reformed Arkham asylum inmates trying to make up for the crimes they have done while still having little quirks and idosycncrosies.

African campaign was brought to a dead halt by the debut of Eygptian Super Heroes.

So kamikaze is a big exploding and reforming man? The gore hound in me likes this. He could be a living symbol of the impossible standards Japan set for its fighting men.

Bandage woman sounds like a great idea. extemely sympathetic "bad" character. She'll shatter the hearts of even the edgiest PCs.

Can she have a good ending? Maybe a mentor to the "ghibli" team, a lonely lady that lives in the woods like a witch who reveals herself to protect them from a rampaging Kami?

Super Rommel vs Egyptian supers? I can dig it. Given that it's kind of like an Atlantean dream catcher for Africa Egypt is filled with trapped and imprisoned spirits and thought forms. Lot of hidden champions to be freed and used by the axis or the allies.

Anubis ends up being just a guy with only the power of eternal youth and Cynocephaly. Also, because he has a dog's head, he can also only speak to dogs.

He refuses to answer any questions on where he has been all this time, but he does claim he is THE Anubis. He does have a wealth of experience to back up at the very least that he has been alive for a long, long time.

I had an idea for a Japanese superhero/villain. A woman named Origami who can telekinetically control paper. While she is moving paper, it becomes supernaturally durable and resilient. Most people would simply be satisfied with letting stray paper fly around as their offensive and defensive capabilities, but not Origami. She is an artist, first and foremost, and turns the paper into fantastic animate creations. A giant snake made entirely out of paper, for example. Although she could theoretically have the snake fly, she prefers to make her creations act like what they're based on.

Under pressure could be a great antagonist for a ww2 island hopping game. Just picture him walking on the ocean floor in a pressurized bubble waving his arms around and crushing submarines like tin cans. And he's just as deadly on land.

Blue Crab-why not make him dirt old, I bet life expectancy is considerably longer in cape world than real life-probably got his start when OSI asked him to design a sub that could withstand under pressures attacks. Under Pressure could have been his first super baddie.

Which one did op miss?

for some reason I picture a super-strong, invunerable Eygptian man who begins tossing around tanks and wrecking nazi asses, and when the war is over, he promptly goes back to being a farmer/shepard. One of his grandkids can be a modern day Eygptian Hero.

In Egypt I can also see the "two fisted" heroes of the Golden Age, using their knowledge and action to get to the sacred treasures of the ancients before the Third Reich does.

>using their knowledge and action to get to the sacred treasures of the ancients before the Third Reich does.

That does sound neat.

What's a good motivation for a cape-killer? As in a serial/spree killer who targets superheroes?
I'm thinking of including one in my m&m game, probably with a power-nullifying field around them

Jealousy is a good one. Why should the supers be the ones who stand above everyone else?

Think the beduin guys from the mummy series but super heroes.

my hero academia had stain the hero killer. he'd killed superheroes who didn't live up to his ideals of superherodom, people who where only heroes for the money or fame.
he does truly respect the heroes that do live up to those standards like all might and deku
you could work something like that and he even had a similar power, when stain licks some of his foes blood their power turns off for a time based off their blood type.
he's also really based off the 90's era of comics.

Why are the Nazi's using a Thompson?

How's this for a cape world game:super powered members of the madia are given amnesty by the government in exchange for using their Italian contacts to infiltrate Italy and assassinate their way through the ranks of Italian supers up to Mussolini himself.

>Not at all edgy
Nothing unique or compelling, they are just a villain, and they can kill superheroes, so they do. Think like a classic, simple villain, who was suddenly able to kill superheroes. If all those heroes are dead, then they can rob more banks! Not particularly interesting but simple and it makes sense.

>Not very edgy
Someone close to them or the character themself was thrown in jail by a hero

>Edgy
Supervillain who has been to jail and busted out and been thrown in again so often that his next visit comes with a free drink kills someone close to the character. Character blames hero for always going with the righteous, lawful path and not preventing more murders by just killing the villain. Starting with the hero whose mercy allowed their friend to be killed, and the continuing on to other heroes who also allow more deaths in the name of their own mercy.

>Super Edgy
Someone close to them was killed directly by a hero. The hero either did it by accident or was really willing to kill this person. It's "super" edgy because even the hero is doing shit.

>Nowhere on the "le edge meme" spectrum, just weird and hamfisted and probably not that great an idea
Character is from the future, one where heroes go overboard, either like Superman in Injustice where heroes become villains or like Superman in Red Son where heroes just become overbearing in their quest to protect humanity. Character shows up in the timeline right before whatever event pushed heroes over the edge, and with a hit list made from their knowledge of "history" they try to stop the dystopic future by killing fallen heroes before they fall.

A resolution to this could either be killing the character before hearing what they have to say, dooming the timeline if they haven't killed enough heroes by then, or by taking head of his words and either joining him or informing other heroes at the risk of some time paradox fuckery and try to be more vigilant for corruption in the heroes.

Realizing that the heroes could kill us if they felt like it. It's a preemptive strike.

Religious nutter who thinks that superheroes are intervening in God's designs by saving people and believes that his powers are a Gift From Above.

Small time hero who gets overshadowed by big names so he decides to hold a demonstration. He kills the first one by accident and then from there on out he keeps running into caped crusaders and has to kill in self-defense (If you want something morally ambiguous).

Old time superhero who thinks that current heroes are a bunch of milksops because they've never had a "real villain" and becomes one himself.

Former policeman who lost his job because the heroes do it for him, his life goes to shit and now wants to get back at the damn heroes.

FORMER NAZI UBERMENSCH EXPERIMENT IS NOW STUCK ON THE SOIL OF U.S OF A. AND SEEKS TO TAKE OUT THE WEAK UNTERMENSCHEN!!!!!!

I think he meant these

How would you run a Samurai Flamenco-styled campaign where you start as street level brawlers and work your way up to multiversal threats?

they just got their powers and it turns out learning to shoot lasers out of your hands is harder then you thing

Okay, what I'm thinking is someone who was near a superhero origin event and tested positive for superpowers afterwards, but failed to manifest any (at least obviously).

His sister, who he was close to, was killed in a minor scuffle between a low-level cape and a low-level villain. He later found himself in the unique position of being in the same bar as said cape, and, having a few too many drinks, picked a fight with them, during which he realised he had a nullification power.

After killing the cape (who was unprepared to deal with having their powers turned off), he set out to kill every superhuman he could, seeing himself as a sort of cosmic equaliser.

Or maybe he was just a superhero nerd, and not manifesting a power when the doctors said he should drove his envy over the edge

So a reverse Deku?

I'm sorta going for a Silver age feel with my villains of the week, as in silly villains who are evil but in a sort of honourable, pantomiming kind of way. But like the overarching villains I want to be capital E Evil

Kamikaze can certainly be that. But my idea was also that there was a transition for these characters later on after WWII. Maybe Kamikaze leads an ultra-nationalist group, or the Bandaged Woman retreats inland to be isolated. There is a certain point where these heroes become shunned for what they stood for and their beliefs become obsolete.

You could see someone who is bullied by capes become a killer. Maybe some is threatened, beat up, and watches their home get destroyed by a super villain. Maybe the heroes never came just in time. It could be their superpowers influence their beliefs.
A character like this might be fearsome because they could have powers that interact with other powers. Maybe they have a power than gives them superhuman strength and endurance while robbing any capes they fight of their own powers. Maybe they have a power that automatically gives them the counter to a particular cape.

Kamikaze becomes that one author that tried to coup the post war diet. Deep pressure becomes an ocean explorer, finding that his time alone on the ocean floor was the only good part about the war. Secretly he works as a lead researcher in dr glacier's enormous ice aquarium.

Not an answer to your question, sorry, but I just thought of something.

What if two people, both possessing one power, a power-nullifying field, both powers being of equal strength and range, were in each others range? What if this happened, and then someone else with an ordinary superpower like heat vision or superspeed went into their range?

Would the fields' effects stack? If the field only lessened powers rather than completely stop them, let's say they lower the magnitude of powers by 30%, then would heat vision's maximum heat be 60% less than it's usual maximum level?

Or would the fields cancel each other out, and the third superpowered individual would be completely unaffected, unless one of the power-nullifyers walked out of range?

Now you're getting into some order of operations shit.

I was thinking the same thing.

The stronger one cancels the other's field. When equal they simply extend range.

Do different origins of power trump one another? Like if one was the result of an experiment and the other is magic who nullifies who?

Later tonight, I'll write up the Olympia Project. I also have an idea for a German duplicator and a villain called The Desert Fox.

Those are the super Aryan twins/clones who turn crazy and incestuous so they can personally create the Aryan race, right?

Anyone have experience in HERO system? I'm having trouble balancing mook and notable enemy stats with the party. Any advice would be appreciated, especially if it cuts back on the paperwork.

Yes. I think I'll make the incest part only a suggestion for one of the plot hooks.

The incest bit just makes them come across as even crazier, which is what you want from psycho Nazis.

So I'm starting to build up potential plot ideas ahead of time for a Masks game. Character/setting construction hasn't really happened yet so these are just loose plot arc ideas. Critiquing or other ideas for arcs be great.

Hardly Knew Us: Years before superpowered individuals began to sprang up various corporations, cults, government agencies, etc. have been aware of the potential and have been taking measures to counter the fact that an individual could undermine all their long-term plans. For some it is blunt method of killing supers as soon as powers were present or other more nefarious means. This be one of those long-term conspiracy plotlines.

They Don't Deserve Us: In this case, one of the first superheroes to be known about is the main mysterious villain. Back in the 60's he was involved in breaking up a major race riot in the city. However during it he was rescuing a trampled child when a shot rang out. The child would have lived the initial bullet wound but when it ricocheted off the super and back through the child it killed him. The super disappeared and has since been spending years and years convincing supers to turn their back on man (basically a lot the supervillains the PCs will fight will be his apprentices).

Their First Cults: One setting idea I have is that people have various small shrines and almost cultist like behaviour toward heroes and villains. So in one particular alleyway you could leave an offering and a face of someone you want killed for a villain, or in another a clue for a hero. Most big time heroes don't really need the shrines but for amateurs like the group would be this be one of their main lifelines once it gets started.

You could also probably build up some other nations influenced by the project. Some former axis nations like Hungary and Romania might have had their own superhuman force and after WWII were left out to dry.

Sounds good! I'll be looking forward to reading it.

THE HOOSIER

"Looks like I got here just in time. Sorry if I'm not the backup you wanted. God knows I'm not the backup that I would have wanted for you guys. But I got a plan, and if you'll hear me out I think we can beat them."

ORIGIN

Ever sense the formation of the Statesmen the Indiana representative has been called the Hoosier regardless of powers or previous name. Its a state tradition and its been carried on through the first Hoosier who was a man that could control glass to the infamous Hoosier from Gary who was a carrier for a deadly alien cloud a Hoosier that could animate and control Limestone and now the name Hoosier comes down to Jake Davis, formerly known as CROSSROADS.

As Crossroads Jake was what is commonly referred to as a "super hobbyist" or "super sportsman". Countries such as the Untied States are very big on the "right to bear super powers". With the proper licensing and testing and background checks any civilian can purchase or build for themselves super powers. Hospitals sell "animal splicing" operations that allow a person to mimic the appearance and abilities of animals, cats being the most common. Outdoor and survivalist stores sell energy weapons. The gear of Super Criminals is often auctioned off to the public. In this environment comes the "DIY Superhero" subculture composed of people that want to adopt the mannerisms and lifestyle of costumed crime fighters and adventurers most commonly by constructing a "super suit". In a respectful light the subculture is filled with creative, industrious, self-actualized builders and risk takers. In a disrespectful light the subculture is filled with engineers in the throes of mid-life crisis strapping themselves into bipedal tanks to feel better about themselves and reckless teenagers with too much money buying powers for a cheap thrill.

>Hungary and Romania
You know the UNITED FRONT rep from Romania dresses like a vampire even if his or her powers has nothing to do with being or acting like a vampire. If you're stereotype is cool flaunt it.

Also I find it kind of sad we got groups of characters for both WW2 Japan and Germany and none for Italy.

Poor Italia. Should they be the joke faction for WW2 or should we try to give them someone serious?

>Should they be the joke faction for WW2 or should we try to give them someone serious?
They were the joke faction in real life. They might as well be a joke in Cape World

I like the first and third ideas, but I have reservations about the second one, namely the motivation for the superhero to turn villain. In that scenario, I can see them taking it out on themselves for effectively letting the child die and becoming disenfranchised with humanity, but it seems like the result would be less to make less other villains and more just retreat from the world.

I'd have it at least be a more dramatic event where the hero felt betrayed on all sides: the rioters saw the hero as the symbol of oppression keeping them down as the police did, while the police/establishment see him as another no-good Communist terrorist, and the media spins them into being a universally reviled being when all they wanted to do was stop the violence and bring people to the table. That, or come up with another event entirely that has far more of a sense of all humanity being dicks rather than just an incident between one human and a superhero's failure in an otherwise resolved situation.

Have them be serious, but like the real fascist Italy, constantly at odds with other factions within the government. While he's blessed by the Holy See, that also means they get to pull some leverage over him now and again ect.

Hardly Knew Us: So as soon as a super is "activated' they get crosshairs put on them? Sounds interesting. Maybe have an underground resistance of supers that have managed to remain hidden. Their leader could be the mentor/quest giver for the PCs

They Don't Deserve Us: So does the bad guy advocate any kind of power use or does he outright believe that a person should keep quiet and keep their powers down less they hurt someone. Given that philosophy he might be forced to team up with the PCs to take down a bigger threat or might even be helpful if a super just wants to find a place to hide away from the public and start over again.

Their First Cults:Nifty idea. It reminds me of an Adventures of Superman story where a cult springs up in Metropolis of people that throw themselves off buildings so Superman can catch them.

Cape World Mid-East has a lot of cults like that. One poor guy with sand powers is taking his village on a tour of the world because they say he's the next Islamic prophet (because Jesus and God could make life out of dust). He agrees that he's the next Islamic prophet just to keep his neighbors and friends happy, and he's vowed that he's going to care for his people like a prophet if he has to be one. That means his-on first-hand education of planet Cape Earth.

I'm trying to come up for some kind of mad Futurist themed cape for Italy.

Sense post-WW2 they turn into a country big on diverse human modification maybe Mussolinni conducted purges of unwanted supers-people that had difficulty controlling their fire powers and what not.

For the first one there are supers running around but one's that were deemed a threat were taken out before they were ever known. It be a more subtle conspiracy that the PCs would uncover.

For the second yeah, both sides I agree be better. The irony is also in this city the hero and the child is immortalized in statue because the riots stopped after that the child being plastered over the media. The villain though only sees the failure in his moment to shine, he talks big but it is really just selfishness.

I'm thinking also in my city to go along with the cultist/religious vibe instead of heroes and villains but instead "Saints" and "Sinners."

Another story idea is the game beginning with the trail of a hero over the death of the first debutised hero. So throwing the whole legalization of vigilantism into question.

>dresses like a vampire
>is actually solar-powered

>can also use moon light at the cost of being less powerful.
>uses sunlight as a trump card for when the forces of good need a extra heavy hitter.

That's not at all a bad idea. Makes for a clever ruse.

Really, that's something I haven't seen in any comics and would really like to. A superhero or supervillain who is new to the scene pretending to have a weakness to what is actually their strength, dictating how their enemies think of them and allowing themself to fall into a "trap" in which they can finally come clean and battle it out with both the advantage of the environment and the advantage of surprise.

Has that been done before? I feel like that could make a great debut.

Most of the subculture are content to be hobbyists and amateurs. Most are the friendly neighbor who washes his suit of powered armor like a precious car each morning in his driveway, the old lady who purchased a thought-form of comfort so that she wouldn't feel so alone, the young woman who competes in amateur Super MMA with her komodo dragon splicer powers, and the young man that bundles up in a coat each morning so he can take his robotic pet bird "for a walk" in the clouds.

But some turn "pro". Some become legalized anonymous vigilantes under America's Gordon Laws. Some become professional entertainers or super-artists and aim for Vegas or Hollywood. Some join the international SUPER BUILDERS and build infrastructure throughout the world. Some join the French and American based ARGO and explore worlds beyond the Earth in the hopes of building mutual peace with the beings that live in those worlds. Some join international disaster and crisis management organization PHOENIX. Some even go on to be members of "super hero" teams that protect not just Earth but all reality from threats rational and bizarre, human and divine, scientific and mystical.

And some become competitors. Some enter the "super games" in Las Vegas or Tokyo or become professional super MMA fighters hoping to defeat all others in their respective league like Statesman PITT FIGHTER did when he won the 1985 "cruiser" rank mechfight tournament in japan.

Some, like Jake Davis, become super-races. Jake Davis started his career as a super-racer at the bottom. He took out loans and took a risk on novel ideas he had about vehicular engineering and created his first CROSSROADER. He proved not only to be a genius engineer but a skilled driver when he began to win "road battles" as well as races at a phenomenal rate. The prize money went back into buying the material necessary for him to upgrade his CROSSROADER.

I really like this idea. A Romanian solar powered Cape that decides to dress up like a vampire so idiots can waste their time trying to kill him with UV rays (which make him stronger), fire (which also makes him stronger), garlic (which he actually likes), holy water and crosses (which as an Eastern Orthodox he finds amusing), and other useless anti-vampire tricks.

He probably calls himself something that sounds cheeky when you get the joke like Count Eclipse.

We can go further
>attributes super strength to vampire physiology
>tends to operate at night to maintain deception using the reflected sunlight of the moon as a lesser power source
>uses his powers to cause a sparkle effect in his eyes that opponents might misjudge for hypnotism and avert their gaze from him
>blasts of energy are invisible and are attributed to vampire telekinesis
>Can bend light to make himself appear to vanish into mist
>Can do the Twilight Sparkles thing if he wanted to.

Count Eclipse looks like a great addition to Cape World so far.

Where do you guys find people to play cape shit?

Friends?

Last thread we talked about 90's grim and gritty characters and their archetypes, like for a randomizer like the M&M one that starts with an archetype.

Could we do that for the Dark Age and the other ages? What about a Silver Age randomizer? A pulp randomizer?

We were playing M&M and the setting was set somewhere between the end of WW2 and the beginning of the Red Scare.

My guy was a German American CIA spy who could read minds and could induce fear into people. He went undercover to spy on the Russians but was found out and taken prisoner, where he was experimented on. Through horrible experimentation he gained the ability to turn invisible, but unfortunately when he turned visible again the only thing you could see was his skeleton. The CIA code named him Citizen Bones.
So he basically walks around the CIA as a skeleton in a suit with a German accent.

Bump

He could also be youthful looking due to some regeneration effects his power has, which would make him one of Romania's oldest and most notable superheroes.

How old? I ask because of my current project.

I'd say make him at least WW2. I see him fighting a guerilla war in Nazi occupied territory using the imagery of the vampire to strike confusion and terror in the Nazi ranks while actually doing his most damage as a daytime plains-clothe saboteur who would blow up and set fire to Nazi installations with invisible heat rays. As long as the Nazis focused on the colorful Count Nocturne prowling around at midnight and scaring Nazis in their beds he and the resistance had an edge.

To this day few know that he really isn't a vampire.

Some ideas I'd like feedback on while I pass out.

Hossier has been a lot of fun to write, but I'm struggling with gimmicks for the car besides "goes really fast and turns on a dime". Any ideas?

Razorback's drug origin might be tied into Turnpike's story. I'm thinking of having him be another "super metabolism" cape secretly created by a corporate conspiracy. It took a long time for Razorback to get busted for his drugs because people at first couldn't believe someone could get THAT strong off it.

Should Pele lose the "maybe a goddess, maybe not" thing and just be an out and out goddess?

So far Hoosier and Pitt Fighter are the only ones I'm writing with a background in "super sports". Anyone else on the Statesmen you feel that would be involved in super sports as well?

Palmetto Bug knows Ms Cryptic from a "misfit monsters" outreach program. They both know what its like to be strange looking monster people with anti social tendencies. While Ms Cryptic focuses her talents on investigating super-powered and paranormal claims in the hopes of helping the lost, confused, and strange (like Haunter and Rugaru) Palmetto Bug focuses on leading a group of misfit monster-people that want to not only fit into society but improve it as well. I think the "monster people" team will absorb the "Jack Kirby Monster" team and some "Doom Patrol" esque ideas I've been kicking around.

Waveracer I'm not sure what to do with besides make him the cute guy Fisher-Girl and Madame Delphine fight over. Should I keep his Atlantean heritage or make him from mystic archipelago race like Fisher-Girl? Which girl should he eventually end up with?

I'm thinking of tying the Brown Recluse's nemesis industrialist Mari Dundo into the "super metabolism" plot. Good idea or bad idea?

I like Palmeto Bug and Ms.Cryptic. Combining the Jack Kirby team and Doom Patrol ideas just seem kinda natural

>Car gimmicks
Just make it adaptable. Hossier is a "genius mechanic", he should be able to create or adapt whatever parts fit each mission before heading out.

Robots attacking? Hook up an EMP. Werewolves? Mess with the stereo so it plays at some higher pitch undetectable to humans but drives dogs crazy. Stuff like that.In addition to specialized parts, also just have the staple "James Bond gadget" fare as well; dump oil behind the car to throw off pursuers, some kind of projectile weapon level to where the tires of another car would be, a maximum overdrive switch, built-in computer and milkshake machine, all that stuff.

>Hossier
It's Hoosier.

>Hoosier
Look at Speed Racer, crib some gadgets.

>Razorback
Make it a possible hook.

>Pele
No, keep it. It's not worth changing and some ambiguity is good.

>Super Sports
Blue Crab technically.

>Waveracer
A good plot hook could be a question of his heritage. After hearing Fisher-girl talk about the Mystic Archipelago he looks further into his ancestry. Waveracer strikes me as a search and rescue hero, maybe incorporate that into him.

>Which girl should he eventually end up with?
I think it depends how you write the three of them.

In the end, it doesn't matter. It won't better than Extrahuman and Ms.Cryptic's ship.

>Super sports
Bob Cat would be down for anything based on rivers. Canoe races, swimming, fishing. Though I don't think she'd be seriously competitive about it, not beyond just humiliating her opponent for a laugh. All in good fun, of course, but there are plenty who wouldn't handle the bantz well.

Virginia Daring probably did some volleyball or other beach-related sports for bikini ads. But depending on how that goes, she might get into it. She'd definitely be good at it, considering her extreme physical ability.

Ushabti is surprisingly skilled at football, disc golf, as well as any and every sport that has ever become popular at Dartmouth college due to extensive studying of just about everything that goes on at the college.

Connecticut's Connecting Cut is good at fencing. Of course.

Pele is good at surfing, I guess. Sorry to continue to state obvious gimmicks.

Gary Gray, the Extrahuman of New Mexico, possesses an extraordinarily mundane talent for and knowledge of soccer, the sport most popular among all homo sapiens throughout his home planet of Earth.

This has got me thinking, could sports be used as a way to try and bring the Statesmen together? I would assume that they meet up sometimes for publicity or just regular meetings, probably not all 50 at any one time but still a large number. What if they had some game after the meeting as some recreation to blow off some steam and get to know each other better? I know that Pele is trying to make a functioning team out of the Statesmen, she could be convinced that this is the way to do it. Or it could be someone else who wants them all closer together. Or maybe there is no plot to it and when you bring a bunch of strange, disparate heroes together they just start having fun to break the ice.

I'm thinking they'd play something generally American, like baseball or football. Or some sport specifically appropriate to whichever state they are meeting in.

i always figured whatever artifact that gave trinity her duplicating powers could be Egyptian in some way.

An artifact designed to reunite three parts of a person, body soul and mind, or split them up.

a mummified supervillain that is one part ghost, corpse, and mind trapped in robotic sarcophagus.

Generals vs Statesmen Baseball special.

Game gets interrupted by aliens who challenge them to their primitive game for the fate of the Earth.

Science Tyrant's squad jumps in to round out the order.

Based Edspear next project pls.

Yes.

Hawaiifag here. Was thinking about Pele, and I think it would be good to give her a bit of complication.
For those that don't know, there's a Native Hawaiian sovereignty movement--it runs the gamut between a nation-within-a-nation model (ala Native American nations) to full sovereignty from the U.S. There's no clear consensus among Native Hawaiians (there's some against the idea completely, of course), so the discourse continues over the subject.
Pele grudgingly accepted membership to the Statesmen to bring attention to her mission to see Hawaii restored to self-rule. She believes the islands were seized illegally, and believes that she works in the best interests of the Native Hawaiian population.
That's not to say she hates America, or the rest of the Statesmen--she can see the good of their aims, but Hawaii is first and foremost in her mind (kind of like how Batman prioritizes Gotham, and frowns on other heroes operating in his town).
Pele's supposed self-promotion (as others see it) is more about shining the spotlight on her mission than herself. Still, the chip she carries on her shoulder rubs a few people the wrong way.

Heroes and villains alike working together to save the earth from a bunch of alien baseball phanatics?

I'll have to do a better version of this pic when I get the chance. But yeah! Sounds like fun.

But its a bit late right now so maybe in the morning.

Thanks Based Edspear

Will we have the Brazilian superheroine bikini contest

>not calling pressure guy "the Bends"
>not naming his alter ego Brian Micheal

>Japanese WW2 sailor
>Brian Michael

It'll be a little while before I can run a Super Hero RPG, but what's a good system that has some crunch, but doesn't get bogged down when it comes to actual gameplay and yet still has scale-ability such that you can accurately represent the difference between say.. someone like Daredevil versus a Superman?

Mutants and Masterminds

Would recommend exactly this
>pic is from my desk right now

What the others said. M&M (3e in particular) is pretty much exactly what you're looking for. Once you get past the crunchy chargen, you have a very svelte system that allows you to reasonably and easily scale things depending on circumstances.

Hey guys, im up to start M&M (2ed) but my english is not the best so i like to ask: are any german players here?

Might want to try a Gamefinder thread.

Palefag here. All outlining has been completed for File 1. Work has been separated into Journals that are what is necessary to place in the Starter, and Cases to establish flavor in older settings. So far there are 5 Journals and 5 Cases planned, with over 20 established characters featured within. These will most likely be posted in PDF form as each is completed.

Journal 1 is the origin story, written with the style of older short stories as a progenitor to Golden Age comics.

I'm looking foward to it

How would you explain the differences between whats calles "Golden Age" "Silver Age" and "Bronze Age" and so on? What are the most iconic characteristics?

(And a additional question: in witch kind of "Age" dos your playgroup runs the game?)

The M&M GM's guide actulaay goes over the different eras in decent detail.

First is the age of the mystery men, the pulp magazines, the proto-superheroes. Then is the golden age which lasts through WWII. The Red Scare post war results in a shift in what types of comics are available, leading to the safe wackiness of the silver age. The comics code slowly dies and leads to the bronze age where more mature themes can be tackled, often social issues. The iron age is the late 80s and 90s, full of sex and violence, anti-heroes with guns and pouches, and more ninjas than you can shake a stick at. The modern (or post modern) age has been characterized by viewing the previous ages, especially the silver age, through modern eyes. There's some nostalgia, some cynicism, a lot of deconstruction.

We may be in a new age now, with the Big Two increasingly aware of the new social issues of the day, trying to broaden their audience and their profits.

As he perfected his CROSSROADER Jake adopted the name CROSSROADS and began to win contests at all ranks. Sub-mach, mach 1, mach 2, mach 3...his proudest moment was when he competed in the annual UNITY WORLD RACE, a race where all types compete against their own leagues in racing laps around the world. The light-speed and above league finish the race so quick only specially designed instruments observe the race. The league composed of non-powered that use conventional boats and cars to race takes months to finish.

Jake took first in his league, and the win brought him notice from PHOENIX which wanted him to incorporate his ideas on engineering into their rescue vehicles. He used the prize money and contracts with PHOENIX to open up DAVIS GARAGES where he and his teams design top of the line vehicles for vigilantes to explorers to rescuers.

Thinks were looking really, really good for Jake. He was living life in the winners circle. He got his face on the cover of more than one magazine. He even got on the cover of super-tabloid TALES TO MYSTIFY which depicted Jake in their usual tradition of exaggeration as threatening to carve his name in grand-canyon sized ruts in the Earth with his CROSSROADER unless Earth could step up its game and produce a worthy challenger.

It was their way of saying good-job Jake, and he has the issue framed in his office.

But Jake was blindsided by his nomination to THE STATESMEN. He was a sports-man, not a fighter. His opponents in the road battles followed rules, super-villains didn't. It was true that Statesman PITT FIGHTER was a mechfight champion before becoming a member of several prestigious Super Hero groups, but he was exceptional.

It was explained to Jake that while the Statesmen fought against supervillians and protected America they were designed to be more a social mixer for capes across America and a PR thing for cape society at large than a super-effective crime fighting force.