Terrain Thread

Post yours, post cool stuff you saw online, you can even schill youtubers that you like (I'm not going to do that mind you because it's an image board)

Mostly I'm looking for inspiration pieces for my next project

As a note any scale, any time period is welcome.

I'm on a bit of a 28mm fantasy kick currently so I'd adore if you guys posted some of that but if not then I'll still save whatever you guys post in my spank bank

Unwanted critique of pieces whose creators will never read this-get:

Whilst that looks amazingly bleak (though very disjointed), the problem I have with it is the disconcerting break in the flock near the edges of each section.
A better effect could be created simply by being less generous with the flock, and covering much less regularly. Ok it's pretty irregular but the pattern of it being spread to just about the edge of each tile is very noticeable, and quite a bit could be taken off, particularly near corners.

This is great except for the plastic plant trimmings (great idea) not being painted, so they stand out as, well, bright green plastic. Hitting them with some acrylic paint usually works fine, doesn't even have to be done well.

Check out The Terrain Tutor on YouTube - his latest project was a big D-Day board with cliffs and bunkers and stuff, great job

except here you can mix the squares so you don't throw the board out of bore after 4 games.

Not sure if it counts as terrain, but I made these markers for when vehicles gets wrecked

Also sorry for not cropping my picture, I'm on my phone at the moment

man I wish my LGS had nice tables or I had space for one in my house.

All the LGS tables are green sheet + 3 pieces of shitty terrain and that combined with grey models makes for a pretty non compelling game.

what I did to fix that was organise a terrain making day at my flgs. Together with the store owner we had a friday night terrainmaking session with 10-15 people for use in the flgs

I need to do the same thing with my friends so we can fix up our terrain

Teetering piles of flimsy rubbish may seem okay for photo shoots (unliker the unpainted minis), but soon prove impractical for gaming.

How is that impractical for gaming? The only parts you can't easily reach are maybe the round floors of the tower in the middle.

I should work on some new terrain, not built anything but some hastily thrown together stuff in months.
I think I should combo up some junk building with hirst arts industrial bits and a bunch of those old plastic clip-together sets I've got laying around, and make a power plant. Or some hangars for mechs and tanks, that'd be something that isn't fields and hedges and ruined houses.

Unlimited possibility

>How

Dioramas can be as big and light and complex as you like, but game boards have to accomodate models AS WELL AS human meathooks and elbows. So, the basic rules of gaming scenery are simple:

1. Stable
Painted paper and cardboard doesn't qualify unless it's slathered with enough PVA to make it more rigid and it has to be nailed to a pretty hefty base too, or one errant nudge could cause a lot of damage to free-falling models.

2. Short
Players should be able to see the WHOLE board from their edge without running laps because someone thought adding vision-obscuring skyscrapers was a good idea. One storey "L" ruins suffice for TLoS purposes, but two storeys is okay if there are none of those sleeve-snagging Citadel Spikes(tm) on top. Any taller, and you're just asking to overlook concealed units and have trouble trying to move figs around without the potential for damage as above. A lead carni falling from the third floor would not fare well at all, and making your floors out of cereal packet does not inspire confidence.

>that fucking castle

At least Renedra has come out with a plastic miniature castle and while it's more expensive than the GW one, it's also much more detailed and can be quite huge.

>One storey "L" ruins suffice for TLoS purposes
Not for 40K now. Remember that MCs draw LOS from their bodies, not their guns. You need at least two stories to block LOS for all of the big things running around.

>dat fortress

You know? I'm certain the thing was designed to be an 8-pointed Chaos star promo display for stores, but US$1120? For what's essentially a plastic grimdark doll house? They're off their bleedin' nut.

Am I wrong or are you criticizing skirmish game terrain with standards for mass battle game terrain?

I agree that terrain should be stable, but doesn't seem too unstable to my eye. Might be even better than GW's original Necromunda terrain.

AoS is insanely expensive. Some of the old kits, especially the ones they pile into new boxes, aren't half bad, so have even gone down in per model price, which has helped me to finish my WHFB armies for earlier editions. But new AoS models are way too much. I actually looked at one of those new fort kits with some towers and pieces of wall as a possible Chaos Fortress of Redemption for 40k, but for that money I could buy the actual Fortress and then some.

nice

Man, I really want to have this sort of dense city terrain.

It's not at all hard to make, just really time consuming.

And if you want to not have everything look like it's made out of junk and falling apart, really really time consuming.

Beautiful

looks cool as fuck user.

shit I made in a few days because I needed aditional terrain for an upcoming game.

Orchards on magnetised sticks for doing what's being shown without having to remove individual trees.

Trees are just nails, some texture paste and a lump of clump foliage because they needed to be done quickly.

What scale?

looks like 6mm

1:300

neat

I must have those miniatures!

They're little kits you can buy at tourist sites. I think some are on eBay.

Thank ya! Sometimes I wish I had more actual terrain pieces, but the Terraclips are great for creating intense urban tables very quickly.

Tiny scale models are just too fiddly for me to enjoy painting (28mm 4lyfe), but I must say that the terrain features for microgames usually look so good, it's almost like cheating.