Why do people have such a distaste for homebrew or self created game systems...

Why do people have such a distaste for homebrew or self created game systems? Not just on Veeky Forums but on other websites too, I see a tend to ignore or even outright hate all non-official games and game rules as if they are somehow inferior then a published module, when most of the time in fact the opposite is true.

Tabletop games can become more and more specialized when dealing with certain subject matter and story. Therefore a DM can create a game/setting that supports these themes without the unfortunate baggage and generic nature of a published setting.

Why is this so hard to get through people's heads? Are tabletop game players retarded or something?

More often than not homebrew content is:
1 Imbalanced
2 Clunky
3 Unnecessary

You don't need to build your own pirate game from the ground up when you could play an already existing pirate game, especially if the one you're making is going to be an even worse 3.PF clone.

>muh homebrew
>muh superior system
>rekt every time and discarded
>why everybody rejects muh genius
>BABY RAGE TEARS EVERYWHERE

Because almost all homebrew systems and rules are shit.

Because the barrier to entry to make your own system is tiny, meaning ANYONE can do it. For better or worse. Most Veeky Forums users prefer to go on the "worse" side of things because of a lot of bad experiences.

Not to mention a shit system is a pain to work with as a player so if you have a shit GM using a shit system you are GOING to have a bad time.

This

Lower barrier to entry means more people posting shitty amateurish content. Take it from someone who's done a bit of homebrewing themselves. It takes dedication and effort to refine and test your stuff till it's good. You also need to show restraint and make sure you're creating something that truly enhances the experience rather than adds unnecessary crap or overpowered bullshit.

A lot of people end up doing the latter two with their homebrews and never move past it.

Because no testing and no oversight is a great way to make a bad product.

Homebrew isn't bad; the genre was started with homebrew. The problem is the archetypical "homebrew"; some teenager budding designer who doesn't grok play testing and iterative development.

>Why do people have such a distaste for homebrew or self created game systems?
Because most of them are fucking awful.

Mostly because 9 times out of 10, official rules and systems are better, and if not, then they are more streamlined.

Because most homebrew is tailor made for the person who made it and/or their group. I absolutely love my homebrew system because it is everything I like from rpgs. But I would never share it online because no one else likes the same things I do. I don't give a shit about anyone else's homebrew, because I don't like they do.

Homebrew is a very don't ask don't tell situation.

>Homebrew settings are 'typically' shit
>Doesn't give any reasons as to why this is true
>Doesn't give any reason why homebrew is shittier then official content, when there is no actual difference between them

You guys going to stop shitposting and answer my question or?

Are you actually going to read half the posts you replied to, or are you just gonna keep being a salty little bitch?

So let me guess, you posted your shitty homebrew on Veeky Forums and nobody liked it?

>Therefore a DM can create a game/setting that supports these themes without the unfortunate baggage and generic nature of a published setting.
While true, most of the time homebrew settings and systems are almost indisguishable from some already existing system with only one or two minor cosmetic differences.

Personally I almost never use settings or systems designed by others, and mostly buy books to get inspiration for my own projects, but it certainly feels like a majority of people who are into writing their own systems don't understand how to do so. If the only difference is between your system and D&D3.5 is that there are no Gnomes and that the grapple rules are different, then why not just play D&D3.5 but remove the Gnomes and houserule the grapple rules?

Basically, the first question you need to ask yourself is, is it really necessary to make up an entirely new system to achieve what I want? Creating an entire system is a lot of work, and many projects die before even reaching the halfway point because the creator realized that it wasn't worth the effort.

There is an actual difference between them. Homebrew content is made by one retard who thinks his ideas are hot shit. Official content is made by teams of people, so if someone is blinded to their own idea's flaws there are plenty of non-friend co-workers who will gladly call them out on it.

People don't hate homebrew because it is homebrew. People hate homebrew because the content is crap: bad ideas formatted badly with bad balance and cringe-worthy writing all presented without any decorations to cover up the stink. It is unheard of for a single person to make a game even half as well as a professional team who spend actual time discussing, testing, and re-working the material until it is a saleable product.

tl;dr: ur homebrew a shit

So there is two homebrew paths: homebrew from a base game or system (custom setting or new take on core mechanics), and then there is grounds up homebrew.

The first is fine, and normally the direction most games with a DM that has been there for a while go. The second is typically crap because it's trying to be different more than anything else. There is typically no reason to not use existing mechanics, even if you have to get into the weeds of Indy games to find what you like.

homebrewing is a lot like Modding. It's a much wider range of quality. Some are labors of love and carefully tweaked with a great deal of playtesting. Others are Morrowland.

Because "consumers" are mindless sheep in thrall to corporations.

Their pacifier is the teat of plutocratic mediocrity; what matters is enriching the Corporation-God rather than receiving a product of quality.

It is why the sheep buy Crapple branded opiating fondleslabs, Micro$uck Windoze instead of open source software, EA 'Games' instead of actual games and will eat at CrapDonalds instead of learning to cook.

Doesn't look like you read the replies, friendo. There's a good one in .

I've helped playtest a few homebrews - RP systems, wargames, skirmish games. Overall, there are always issues. Writers tend to get tunnel vision over minor aspects of the project, or have special baby rules or structures they refuse to axe even if they're shit and objectively make the game more shit.

Homebrew can be amazing. Time Wizards is homebrew. But Sturgeon's Law applies - 90% of everything is shit. And unlike published games, we don't have editors and bean counters looking at something and asking 'Is this working? Can this sell?' and filtering out 80% of the shit for us. . So we see a A LOT of shit homebrew. At some point, you stop caring, especially when the only person touting the upsides of the homebrew is it's creator, which is the only voice that pushes most homebrew systems.

>fondleslabs
i know this post is bait but I'm going to start using this word

meant to reply to