Shinigami Savant Quest #63

You are Kusajishi Riku, Captain of the Seireitei Court Guard's Ninth Division. The human world has been invaded by an unprecedented number of gillians, hollows powerful enough that anyone below a Lieutenant can't handle one alone. With you are several more Captains and Lieutenant-level fighters along with their manifested zanpakuto, but even these fighters have their limits. If the gillians keep pouring through the breach in reality that's brought them here, it would be enough to wear anyone down eventually.

“You're the menos expert in the Gotei 13,” Hitsugaya pants, having just tanked the blast of a cero. “I'm open to suggestions.”

“What else?” you reply , drawing your own swords. “We kill 'em until we run out.”

“I was expecting something more complicated.”

You shrug. “Sometimes the best plan is not to overthink it.”

That being said this does present a serious problem, one that you haven't had to cope with in a long time: exhaustion. You managed to partially recover from your accelerated Ura Hadō training with your zanpakuto, which brought you to the brink of death, but the fight with hollow-Muramasa and your first actual usage of the new spell you learned have undone some of that. You can't be sure how much more sustained effort you can put in before the last few days truly start to catch up with you.

It would be best to end this as quickly as possible, with as little effort on your part as you can get away with, but your companions have been fighting nonstop for just as long as you have. Yoruichi's still good to go, and the efficiency of Mirai's zanpakuto means she's probably spent the least energy getting to this point out of everyone present. But even Hitsugaya, Suì Fēng, and Rangiku are showing some sign of strain. Hitsugaya apparently still struggles to maintain his immature Bankai for this long, and Little Bee isn't really cut out for this sort of protracted battle in the first place.
>1/2

As for Rangiku, using Haineko at the level she does requires significant focus and awareness: the mental strain must be terrible the longer a fight drags out. Her movements struck you as already being a bit sloppier than usual, probably due to the fact that she'd had to fight against a half-crazed Haineko before coming here.

Byakuya is the worst off by far. He's just concluded a fairly long duel against his fellow Kuchiki, whose skills in combat must have been taxing to the younger Byakuya if Muramasa's abilities are any appropriate indication.

He does his best to maintain that unflappable, aristocratic facade, but it's not working.

“The solution is simple,” he observes. “We can use our reiatsu to seal the rift.”

Hitsugaya shakes his head. “That will take time, and time is precisely what we won't have when we're being swarmed by that many menos.”

“I've been saving my strength,” Yoruichi informs you, “but odds are good I've only got enough left for one or the other.”

“No special tools that can seal that rift?” you ask hopefully.

She shakes her head. “Nope. The Ōin maybe, but it's a rare enough event that nobody's ever made a tool specifically to deal with it.”

“Then why not use this Ōin thing?” Hitsugaya protests. “If it can do the job...”

“The Ōin is something I refuse to use,” Yoruichi interrupts, a dark look in her eyes. “The day I used something like that would be my last as a shinigami.”

>Then we need to clear out the Menos.
>We need to focus on the rift.
>I may lose half my Division against this many Menos, but it's a risk we have to take.
>I know a guy who can clear out these Gillians and give us an opening (read: Gin).
>Other?

Rolled 2, 10, 5 = 17 (3d10)

>>I know a guy who can clear out these Gillians and give us an opening (read: Gin).
Trussst in Gin.

>>I know a guy who can clear out these Gillians and give us an opening (read: Gin).
Yo King!

>I know a guy who can clear out these Gillians and give us an opening (read: Gin).

Yeah okay.

>Send a message to HQ: Muramasa's dealt with, all zampakuto problems eliminated. Gillian surge in Northern Kurakara Town. Requesting backup.

slow thread today innit?

A little. But the first vote always moves a bit slow.

>writing

What's to discuss? Muramasa's out of the equation.

I guess one way this could go worse is for Arturo to pop up and thank us for laying out a banquet.

and what are you proposing to solve this? Riku's mentally exhausted as well as 3 other captains. Arturo could easily clean this up but at what cost?

Rolled 6, 1, 3, 7, 8 = 25 (5d10)

You sigh wearily. Dragging Gin into this when he's still recovering from his injuries wasn't what you wanted to do, but short of throwing your entire Division into the fray and accepting extreme casualties this is the only plan you can really consider that will bring a quick conclusion.

“Go,” you nod. “I'm going to make a call, you'll know the opening when you see it.”

Your denreishinki buzzes twice before you hear Gin's voice reply. “Thank you for calling Pizza Hut, this is Bryan how can I help you?”

“Stuff it, Gin,” you sigh. “I need you to come kill a shitload of gillians so we can close a massive breach in the fabric of reality. You game?”

“Yeah, I was watching that,” he admits. “I'll be through the Senkaimon in a moment.”

Mirai slams into the ground next to you, having been blown backwards by a trio of cero that she needed help from Sesshōseki: a warrior standing easily six feet tall in stony scale armor, with a fearsome porcelain mask of a demonic face.

“Sorry to drop in unannounced,” she apologizes as her zanpakuto slings its oversized club at one of the offending Gillians. The blow shatters its mask, and he offers you a careful nod before going to retrieve it.

“No matter,” you insist, sending a one-handed Byakurai that impales a second Gillian through the head. “We're going to clean up here soon anyway.”

“How soon?”

A massive surge of reiatsu, clearly Captain-strength, makes the answer clear even before you get the chance to reply. Gin's entrance starts him off high above the ground, allowing him to fall like a stone towards the center of the mass of Gillians.

“Bankai!” he declares over the roar of wind in his own ears. “Kamishini no Yari.”
>3d10, DC 7
>QM also rolling

Rolled 6, 4, 5 = 15 (3d10)

>inb4 critfail

Rolled 2, 5, 5 = 12 (3d10)

Rolled 4, 5, 4 = 13 (3d10)

Well, that could have gone better.

Hahahahaha

>nowhere even close
>writing, this may take a moment

>expecting us to get good rolls on a moderate dc

Come we both know the DC either has to be super hard or super easy for us not to fuck up monumentally.

Riku is having a bad day

Well given all the shit and mental stress/exhaustion Riku has put up with these last few days, I think all the stress finally caught up to her. Riku's definitely gonna demand vacation time and won't take visitors, even those from divine business.

Gin's Bankai lashes out as he spins through the air, slicing through one Gillian after the next with ease in a kilometers-wide arc. The effort however splits a barely-healed wound in his side open, and he tumbles into the woods below. This is your moment.

Byakuya is the first to aim a burst of reiatsu at the opening, with Senbonzakura positioning himself at the opposite corner and doing the same. He manages to maintain his position despite the fact that the Gillians Gin downed are already being replaced. Hitsugaya on the other hand never makes it to the breach, as one of the Gillians uses its dying breath to unleash a cero that blindsides him. The blast takes him out of the air, but you feel that it didn't even come close to killing him: he just won't be much help right now. Suì Fēng tries valiantly to join Byakuya, but even with Kai and Mirai trying to keep the remaining Gillians off her she's forced to break off to avoid the same fate as Hitsugaya.

Yoruichi predictably channels a massive amount of reiatsu into the effort, but you're particularly gratified by Rangiku and Haineko's success. As you join in however you can tell by the feedback you're getting: it's too little. Your fellow Captains are too exhausted to keep this up, and the reinforcements from the Sou Society aren't here yet.

So it comes as no surprise when you massively overexert yourself. The world around you goes dark.

>1d14, first roll only

Rolled 13 (1d14)

Rolled 10 (1d14)

Just got here: Is there anything stopping us from having one of our arrancar come here and command the mindless gillians to go back home? I thought they tended to instinctively obey powerful hollows?

pls be good.

When you open your eyes again, you're not sure at first that you have. The room you're in is dark, but familiar: your quarters in the Seireitei. Next to you sits a familiar figure, who notices quickly that you're awake.

“How long?” you ask.

“Just under two weeks,” Halibel replies calmly, setting aside her book. “We arrived minutes after you passed out to finish the job you started. The rift in Karakura town has been sealed.”

“Anyone else as hard hit as I was?”

The arrancar shakes her head “Captains Kuchiki and Hitsugaya have almost recovered, though the former was asleep for a full week himself.”

“Go back to sleep,” she advises. “Lady Yoruichi and Miss Rangiku are asleep as well. In the morning we will get you caught up. There have been... developments, while you were asleep.”

>What sort of developments?
>Just do as she suggests and rest. This can wait.
>Other?

>>Just do as she suggests and rest. This can wait.

>"What sort of developments?"

Hey King.

>At least leave me a report on what happened.

>>What sort of developments?

If Riku's exhausted, holy shit.

>writing

“What sort of developments are we talking about here?” you ask.

Ever the conversationalist, Halibel begins to list off a series of updates to ongoing situations. “Miss Kuchiki's powers have returned. Kurosaki Ichigo has not. Captain Suì Fēng has taken command of Fifth Division with Hisagi as her Lieutenant. Lady Yoruichi has returned to command of Second Division. Captain Urahara has taken command of Seventh Division and linked that Division to his Research bureau. His Lieutenant is Kira Izuru, though it seems Kurotsuchi Nemu holds more authority.”

“Outranked by a traitor,” you mutter. “That's a new low. Where'd Omaeda end up?”

“Third Seat, Second Division. Behind Lady Yoruichi's current Lieutenant.”

“Any other news?” you ask.

“Last week the prisoner Bambietta Basterbine inquired after you,” Halibel informs you quietly. “She did not share her precise thoughts, but seemed concerned with something. She has not been informed of the reason for your absence.”

>I'll speak to her. Doing SOMETHING will help me sleep better.
>I'm going to go find Ichigo. Two weeks is a long time to be missing.
>I'll be going to sleep now.

>>I'll be going to sleep now.

>Thanks Halibel

"Thanks, Tia."
>I'll be going to sleep now.

>thanks for filling me in Tia.

>>Thanks Tia.

This

1 week in and Bambi's bored already.
>adding "Thanks Tia"

>Thanks etc

>writing

Bambi sounds antsy. 1 week in prison with nothing to do would be torture in and of itself given her personality. Menoly too.

You do get the feeling that something more problematic has arisen in your absence, but that Halibel will not bring it up. She seems to be quite firm in her insistence that you rest until morning, and so you relent.

“Thank you, Tia,” you nod quietly, drawing the covers close. “Could you do me a favor and grab a glass of water? My mouth feels like it's full of cotton.”

“Not a problem, she replies.

You fall asleep again before she returns, though this time it's restful.

Morning comes not more than a few hours later, and with it you reawaken. The dim pre-dawn glow fills the room, and you can make out three sleeping figures: Yoruichi and Rangiku on the floor, and Gin on the couch. It seems they've been sleeping in this arrangement for the last two weeks, though you doubt they'd let their concerns get in the way of their Division business. They know you too well for that.

Trying your best not to disturb them, you step outside quietly and walk out into the garden.

Your muscles feel stiff and sore at first from weeks of inactivity as you draw your sword and begin your daily regimen, but by the time the sun has risen fully they've warmed up nicely. It's a sublime feeling, not of accomplishment but of clarity and focus: more of a meditative state than a combative one.

“I see you are back up on your feet,” a familiar voice greets from a nearby snow-viewing lantern, where Mirai sits observing you. “You had us worried.”

“I needed a vacation anyway,” you reply calmly, sheathing your blades. “It's too bad I slept through most of it. Halibel informed me of some of the things I missed.”

“Did she tell you about the Tōjū?” Mirai asks curiously. You've never heard that word before.

“Must've slipped her mind,” you mutter. “After all I was barely awake.”
>1/2

>If we're quick we can track Ichigo down before breakfast.
>I'm going to go see what Bambietta wants. Care to tag along and continue our conversation?
>These "Tōjū"... explain in detail.
>Other?

>>I'm going to go see what Bambietta wants. Care to tag along and continue our conversation?
>>These "Tōjū"... explain in detail.

>I'm going to go see what Bambietta wants. Care to tag along and continue our conversation?
>If I forget, Remind me to go pay Shinji a, What's it called? Right a beating.

>>These "Tōjū"... explain in detail.

>>I'm going to go see what Bambietta wants. Care to tag along and continue our conversation?

>I'm going to see what Bambietta wants. Care to tag along and continue our conversation?

Maybe Riku should assign Rukia for finding Berry boy in the meantime.

yes, I support this. begin the subtle shipping.

>writing

“We're going to go see Bambi,” you announce. “On the way you can give me a brief explanation about that word you just used.”

“You mean Tōjū?” she asks.

“Yeah, that's the one.”

“Well, we all know what happens when a manifested zanpakuto is defeated by their wielder,” Mirai explains as you lead the way towards the Ninth Division's jail facility. “Thankfully Captain Urahara devised a means of restoring a defeated zanpakuto. The can't be said for a dead shinigami.”

“So you're saying the Tōjū are manifested zanpakuto whose wielders were killed?”

Mirai nods. “Precisely. They seem to possess similar power to what their wielders would in Bankai, making them dangerous foes.”

“Do we have any numbers on how many there might be?”

“According to the after action reports, one hundred and thirty seven shinigami capable of shikai were killed by their own zanpakuto. We have defeated a total of nineteen since you lost consciousness, so I would say one hundred and eighteen remain.”

You sigh at the news. “Sounds like we'll be dealing with this for a while.”

After a few minutes you reach the correct cell, and find Bambietta Basterbine laying calmly on her bed with a magazine in her one remaining hand.

“I see you finally found time,” she greets you coolly.

“I was busy being unconscious,” you reply. “So what did you need to tell me?”
>1/2

“A Captain by the name of Urahara came through some time ago,” she explains calmly. “He suggested that there was a regenerative serum based on a hollow's rapid healing ability that could restore my arm. He believed that now that my body produces the appropriate antibodies it could be safely used.”

“Is this true? If so it has piqued my curiosity.”

>Yes, I suppose it could be used on you. I only have three vials of it though.
>I do, but I'm not comfortable allowing a former enemy to regenerate.
>Why “curious”? That's an interesting choice.
>Other?

>A *certain* Captain by the name of Urahara
They'd met before of course.

I'm also debating whether she should be informed that Urahara might have something to glean from this, hence why he suggested it.

Why curious?
I kinda want to make her Uryuu's quincy teacher. She'd probably agree to it in return for the arm. Also would be funny

>Why "curious"? That's an interesting choice.

A Quincy accepting hollow-based stuff? That's quite a choice for one of the Sternritter.

>Yes, but I only have 3 vials of it though. Not sure if Urahara could produce more of it.
>but in exchange, you'll have to teach a friend of mine how to git gud. Friend's a quincy btw, Ishida Uryu is the name.

>dice+3d10, DC is a meager 5.

Rolled 9, 6, 10 = 25 (3d10)

Rolled 4, 2, 4 = 10 (3d10)

Let's see

Rolled 5, 1, 3 = 9 (3d10)

Rolled 5, 8, 7 = 20 (3d10)

Rolling!

Well then.

man, you're the only roll who passed, and it's a crit of all things.

Rolled 1, 9, 6 = 16 (3d10)

“Why 'curious'? That's an interesting choice of words,” you observe.

Bambietta nods. “Curiosity is the best word for it. It's not a matter of getting my arm back, since I'm not sure I'll be needing it anyway. But regeneration...”

“Something's bothering you.”

Bambietta seems to hesitate for a few moments, considering her words carefully and whether or not she really wants to open up to a woman who should be her enemy. Finally, she relents.

“Do you know where we come from?” she asks. “The Sternritter, I mean? We were mortal like any other humans once, many centuries ago.”

That has some nasty implications. You don't need Tenkotsuki or Rosa to tell you what those are to know it, but they do anyway.

“This is what concerned me about my fellow Sternritter,” Bambietta continues.

“The human brain usually starts going to shit inside a hundred years,” you interpret, sparing Bambi from needing to go into detail. “After several hundred years, an ordinary person would probably start developing personality disorders.”

“What do you mean 'start'?” Bambietta snorts. “Most of us weren't exactly on an even keel to start with, and that only got worse. I've been having more moments of clarity since the transfusion, but I fear even that is a temporary solution.”

“For many of us it may well be too late, but if a regenerative treatment were possible...”

“... you believe the damage to the brain might be regenerated as well?” Rosa posits, manifesting at your side. “It's insane... but insane and impossible are two different things?”

“If my peers can be spared a slow decline into complete insanity,” Bambietta concludes, “then I want to know about it. And even if it kills me... then I prefer such an end over turning out like some of the freaks I worked with among the Sternritter.”

>Then we'll try it.
>Let's make a deal then.
>No deal.

This is another moment where I cannot for the life of me recall whether this exact problem has come up in Ask, in a thread, or only in an old copy of my notes that's been filed away. I checked the archives, which is why it took a little more time than usual, but if I missed something feel free to call me out.

Also captcha showed me a picture of waffles and now I need waffles.

>>Let's make a deal then.

>Then we'll try it.

>Let's make a deal then.

>Let's make a deal then.
Interesting interpretation of why they are all crazy.

I think what you're thinking of is one of the (removed) ask.fm questions about Bambietta's rehab program where the regen serum having adverse affects on quincies and whether or not prosthetics were a viable solution for the program should the hollow vaccine/serum combination fail.

>Let's make a deal then.

AH. That definitely sounds familiar.

>Then we'll try it.
it's a matter of trust. she wants to help her comrades and has faith in her comrades. We can put some faith in her.

ask.fm support team is still being a shit though, keeping my account suspended. They removed the fun questions I asked.

Talk to Urahara first, because brain damage is specifically one of the things that hollow high-speed regen doesn't fix, if the fight with SadBat is any indication. Also the fact that even with regen, head shots are still just as effective.

But make the deal if he agrees with the theory.

>writing
Any preferences for deals to make? I assume helping train the scrub is on the table.

Also I love it when captcha shows me places I've been.

Regen serum & training in exchange for info & assistance with flipping some of the Sternritter?

Also, can Urahara synthesize the? We've only got the three shots from Kurotsuchi.

>>Then we'll try it.

lets see, if the regen part of the rehab works on the brain, then we can push the proposal of having Bambi give names of comrades she trusts for us to capture and have them put under rehab. In exchange, training scrubs is on the table as well as helping SS bring down Aizen with the war effort as well as cleaning up the Tōjū which would give her something to do.

the regen serum I mean