This is entirely conjecture, but how long is a "Turn" in magic:the gathering game world...

This is entirely conjecture, but how long is a "Turn" in magic:the gathering game world? How long does it take for lands to generate magical energy and for creatures to completely heal from near-death back to full health?

I'll say, one week.

Yes.

Duels only consist of wizards casting spells against each other, not the scope of history of a plane. So I'd say however long it takes in reality.

As a planeswalker, you're literally tearing bits out of living breathing realities to toss at another infinitely-powered asshat.

One would imagine that time is of little concern.

No, but say that instead of the players being wizards, (which I know is what we're supposed to be, the backs of the cards being spellbooks and shit) instead of that, the players represent two sides of a battle that's going on as the duel progresses.

That's actually why I enjoy limited and sealed, since everything's from one source. I think one week is about right like said.

As long as you want it to be until a planeswalker from the plane of Ivalice comes in and decrees that you are taking too long and issues you a warning.

It's probably important to note that creatures are technically just magical constructs you form of mana from your memories of these monsters and heroes and whatnot, so the time for them to "heal" may or may not need to match up with the healing times actual biological creatures require.

Why isn't removing damage from creatures a more-often used mechanic?

This

That's why regenerate exists.

Probably because damage isn't generally represented with visible counters or anything like that, so getting into more potentially complicated territory with it risks seriously confusing scenarios. I'd stay away from it too. Prevention is cleaner.

>Memories

So every plane we've visited is dead, and we're just reminiscing about long-gone shit to power our arcane pissing contests?

That seems like a plausible interpretation, though short-term memory also exists.

>That blue mage playing Turbo Turns is casually aging countless plains to dust just to lose

I like my interperetation better.

"Ah, I remember Quincy..."

"Argh! A fucking Blightsteel Colossus!"

"Gooood ol' Quincy..."

>So every plane we've visited is dead, and we're just reminiscing about long-gone shit to power our arcane pissing contests?

That statement kinda hits the nail on the head on so many levels here.

Its not my fault the opponent didnt sco- I mean die of old age.

The battle's going on, but players (are they still planeswalkers?) are outside of time.

That's why you can call on people that died long ago (old cards), harness the energy of entire worlds (land cards, mana generation), and survive attacks from entire armies and from beings that devoured entire worlds. These aren't things that are taking place "as the planeswalker is casting them." It's just showing you what is happening in the duel.

If WotC chose to, they could make an Earth set and you could attack Hitler with Jaguar Warriors, demolish a M1 Abrams tank with the massed forces of Genghis Khan, or use Nuclear Weaponry on Xerxes' Immortals. You could also slide in a nice Akroma in the deck, too. What does that do to the "time flow?"

See what I'm saying?

not true, each block is a set amount of time depiciting an event in magic history, the amount of time spent "casting" shit is ambiguous, some counterspells represent charms that arent just farted out while others are innate abilities dropped at a whim. Some sorceries depicit events that literally took hundreds of years of build up and that card represents the apex of its destruction, others are just a dragon opening its mouth and shooting the biggest big ball he could make at the time.

Holy shit, as a MTG newbie I'm having a hard time diggesting and imagining these battles. Where can I get into the lore of the setting?

I would just make of it what you want to. The Nose will just change it anyway.

I think we agree and are just using different words to say it. A planeswalker turn isn't measurable directly to the narrative arc of the block, it seems like we're both saying.

As far as I know, nobody's really written about planeswalker battles from a narrative standpoint. It's always been a focus on the events of the block of cards in more or less chronological order.

What the fuck
Do you not have any memories of things that AREN'T dead? You stupid or something?

What does your hand represent? Why do we have a library? Why do we have to draw one card a turn? Arent we supposed to have access to any spell we learned at any given time?

>hand
short term memory
>library
long term memory, general mental resources
>why do we have to draw one card a turn
Have you ever tried thinking about nothing?
>Aren't we supposed to have access to any spell we learned at any given time
I'm not sure where you're getting that precisely, but even so it is a card game and flavor is almost never going to match the mechanics flawlessly. The game is too old and complicated for that.

nissa vs obnix and gatewatch vs obnix are both noteworthy planeswalker duels that were recently written. Also tezzeret v elspeth is in a book back when the lore was sold as stand alone stories, and there was a comic that depicts the chandra vs jace battle.

>gatewatch vs obnix
>4 people vs one motherfucker is a "duel"

Yes user, 4 neowalkers vs 1 eldrazi and 1 oldwalker is a duel. Eldrazimancy was described as riding the razors edge between super powers and becoming a broken mindslave to the titan who's brood you were "borrowing"

I was being pedantic because a proper "duel" can only be between two individuals

I thought you were belittling obnix just because he lost in the end. I really wish gideon had drowned instead of not drowning.

Sounds like Tuesday for your average Blue mage.

Probably about half a day, if werewolves are anything to go by

I really wish all Marvelwalkers drowned.

It's called "Archenemy."

user had a hard life

1 second if you are playing all spels/belcher
Million years if you are playing miracles

underrated post

This is true in the age of action-hero planeswalkers. Playing kitchen table magic in the 90s I always thought the idea was that the players were waging war on each other from their secluded wizard towers, and a "turn" was how long it took to recruit a regiment of infantry or bend a leviathan to your will.

>It's probably important to note that creatures are technically just magical constructs you form of mana from your memories of these monsters and heroes and whatnot

That's gay though. when I summon a goblin it's because I have actual goblins at my beck and call.

I don't get it, where is the card cost?

>when I summon a goblin it's because I have actual goblins at my beck and call

Nope

Homelands fluff disagrees with you there. The whole premise is that the plane was inhabited by the descendants of creatures summoned by Planeswalkers in duels long ago.

I'd say it depends. As a rule I'd say the power levels go:

>Limited = Brand new planeswalker with one or two planes under their belt. Domri Rade.

>Standard = Fledgling planeswalker with a few planes worth of spells. Kiora.

>Modern = Experienced planeswalker whose well traveled if young. Jace.

Legacy = Veteran planeswalker with contacts and resources across the multiverse. Liliana.

>EDH = Ancient planeswalker with incredible resources, knowledge and mana. Sorin.

>Vintage = Near Oldwalker status. Nicol Bolas.

So going with that you'd see different amounts of time taken between formats. Limited is probably measured in days, Standard in weeks, Modern in months, Legacy in years, EDH in decades and Vintage in centuries.

It's a special thing like the plane cards in Planechase. If I recall correctly, basically the single player acting as the archenemy gets to play a scheme card off the top of a special deck of them once per turn to make up for the fact they're playing against multiple opponents.

vintage is oldwalkers, aka urza tier