First for bear traps in combat.

Hello guys I had an idea for a new cantrip please rate

Create Hunting Trap

Conjuration cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You create a trap on ground that you can see within range. The trap is affixed by a heavy chain to an immobile object, such as a tree or a spike driven into the ground. A creature that steps on the trap must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d4 piercing damage and stops moving. Thereafter, until the creature breaks free of the trap, its movement is limited by the length of the chain (typically 3 feet long) A creature can use its action to make a Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Each failed check deals 1 piercing damage to the trapped creature.

The spell’s damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 5th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 17th level (4d4).

xth for the best character in OOTA

Needs to be a bonus action.

Overpowered, you fucking munchkin powergamer piece of shit get of my table REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Dungeon Master's Guide, page 60:

>Arborea is home to many elves and elven deities. Elves born on this plane have the celestial type and are wild at heart, ready to battle evil in a heartbeat. Otherwise, they look and behave like normal elves.

Arborean elves with the celestial type are completely valid as a PC race, right?

>posting in this thread with this OP

You have zero shame.

Probably not.

Look who's talking.

>with the celestial type

no. with normal typing yes

Creating mechanical devices needs to be of a higher level than that.

Also you missed an opportunity by including a material component and having it be a bear trap

Aasimar are not celestial type as well. Neither are Tieflings fiends or Dragonborn dragons. Humanoids, every single one.

Absolute garbage. A cantrip should NOT be able to deal 4d4 damage especially in a low-powered system like 5e. Do you guys get off on creating broken spells or something? Here's the deal, you play the spells that Wizards of the Coast made, and balanced, for you to play with. Got it? None of this powergaming homebrew crap.

Where does it say "PC races MUST be humanoid"?

It prevents certain spells and abilities from getting all weird. Stuff like Forbiddence for example.

Kek

I loved Stool. I kept him alive and he was a fun little bastard.

Topsy and Turvy were shit in comparison.

alright so you want to play a race that has all the advantages and charateristics of an elf, but also is a celestial

what's the point of the regular elf then? why would anyone choose humanoid elf when you could be celestial instead

also if aasimar aren't celestial then why should you be

Reposting because I was blind and didn't see there was a new thread.

Ironically enough, considering the second half of your post, Magic Iniate is great for martials. Rogues get a lot of mileage out of Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade, and classes with lots of attacks such as Fighters and Monks will no doubt benefit from Hex. Plus you can gain a lot from several utility cantrips.

>and balanced

ahahahaha

I'm DMing it. The only character I really struggled to do anything with was Eldeth, because she doesn't really have anything going for her other than "somewhat racist Dwarf" when the party has a Ranger. Once they got to Gauntlgrym I found her a niche though.

Topsy and Turvy had a kinda sad conclusion for us, the party didn't have Remove Curse and only found one scroll of it. So they had to pick one and cure them. Now they live apart on the opposite sides of the tensions between the Wererats and the Deep Gnomes. It was a bittersweet note in what was generally a great victory for the party in Blingdenstone.

Seriously, what the fuck is this thread?

5th Edition D&D general.

The only requirement for a race to be considered valid as a PC race is to have written racial traits. Arborean Elves do not have that, so they are not valid as a PC race.

>dumb asshole trolling /5eg/
>easily recognisable by his file name format
>makes a retarded OP
>you all post in it

nobody cares

With DM permission, sure. Just keep in mind that, as a Celestial creature, you have certain weaknesses that your Humanoid companions wouldn't (like being banished back to Arborea, or detected/harmed by certain class features).

>what's the point of the regular elf then? why would anyone choose humanoid elf when you could be celestial instead
Because they don't want to be able to be banished from the material plane by some guy who knows how to wiggle his fingers and speak some gibberish?

Fuck off and die.

why are you so mad

()
First of all, nice trips guys.

Second of all, dropping the weapon to reload the hand crossbow because Crossbow Expert doesn't turn your crossbow into a semi-automatic. You still need to load the ammunition into it. On the first turn it will already be loaded, but on subsequent turns, my turn will be starting with the crossbow unloaded. Crossbow expert makes crossbow firing analogous to bow-firing: draw arrow, knock arrow, pull back and shoot; draw bolt, load bolt, shoot.

I'm the guy arguing with the retarded rules lawyer, and I agree with him. This thread is as good as any.

And making fun of niggers is a bonus.

>When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.
>you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.
>loaded

You have added no new information to the discussion. I've acknowledged that the bow has to be loaded. That's why it is being loaded after dropping the rapier.

How are you getting to make a bonus action attack with it? The feat only allows to make the bonus action attack if the hand crossbow is already loaded when you make your regular attack.

Loading the crossbow is not an action of any kind, so you can load it between the Attack action and the bonus action.

>just started OotA yesterday
Stool is my boy.

It doesn't say that the handcrossbow needs to be loaded when you make the attack, it says that the bonus action attack can be made with a hand crossbow if an attack action is made with a onehanded weapon beforehand on the same turn.

Stool is the best NPC in OotA, Especially when he becomes a scimitar wielding monk.

Why would it specify "loaded hand crossbow" unless it had to be loaded before you made your regular attack?

So that people don't treat it like a semiautomatic weapon. They can reasonably remove the "Loading" property of the weapon with a feat, but they can't reasonably hand-wave that the crossbow actually needs to be LOADED. The bolt needs to be in the weapon for it to be fired. It doesn't automatically load itself.

>you ignore the loading quality of any crossbow you are proficient in

you're really good with crossbows, so you can load them extremely fast even with a weapon in one hand

why is this so hard to wrap your autistic mind around? it's a game, not real life.

>"I can't read"

>I follow every rule as written

if one of my players has taken the xbow expert feat, and wants to use one of his two hands to hold a hand crossbow, he doesn't have to have a hand free to fucking load it every turn, because I am not a miserly autist

Has anyone compiled a list of all the spells that apply to storm sorcs heart of the storm?
>tfw I just now re-read tempestuous magic and realized it applies to all spells, not just thunder/lightning

>"autist autist autism I'M NOT AUTISTIC!!!"
Okay user. You aren't autistic. You're just a very special boy.

>asks why Thing A is done
>"Thing A is done to accommodate logic"
>calls me autistic
>produces official rule, Rule A, that calls for Thing A to be necessary
>"well i wouldn't make you do that"; calls me autistic; claims self not autistic

I have a feeling that you are the autistic one, child.

I wasn't part of the original argument champ, my first post was Do you actually make your players load a crossbow? I am genuinely curious

With all of this hand crossbow talk I feel now is a fine time to share my upcoming archer build. What I plan to do is go as a variant human fighter and pick up sharpshooter with the archery fighting style at level 1. Then, at 4, I would pick up the crossbow expert feat and start using a hand crossbow. Starting level 5 I would get 3 attack per turn to deal a potential 3D6 + 45 damage per turn. Probably go battle master to help offset the miss chance imposed by sharpshooter with precise attack as well as pick up other handy maneuvers. I have not seen this build posted anywhere else so idk if maybe I overlooked some major flaw or if people just don't like the hand crossbow but it is probably the most solid archer build I have come up with to date. Thoughts?

Stop arguing with the rules lawyer. His antics aren't even funny at this point

Battlemaster fighter
fighting style: archery
maneuver: precision attack
feats: crossbow expert, sharpshooter
20 dexterity

>declare sharpshooter, fire heavy crossbow
>hit: 1d10+15
>miss: roll precision attack superiority die, see above if hit
>drop heavy crossbow
>draw hand crossbow
>declare sharpshooter, fire hand crossbow
>hit: 1d6+15
>declare sharpshooter, fire hand crossbow
>hit: 1d6+15

total damage
3d10+2d6+75

minimum total damage

mean total damage

maximum total damage

Total minimum damage is 0. You should fix that.

Fucking lol, every time.

How exactly are you getting two attacks with a hand crossbow?

Your paranoia is astounding.

You cant draw the heavy crossbow and the hand crossbow in the same turn. Turn 1 would be just the heavy crossbow, turn 2 you could do this though, unless your DM for some reasons deems you cant draw a new weapon in the middle of your attack action.

Overall I would just stick with the hand crossbow for thematic purposes. Thanks for contributing.

Also, that wouldn't work per RAW, since heavy crossbow is not a one-handed weapon.

>drop heavy crossbow to the ground as a free action
>draw handcrossbow as free item interaction
>fire with handcrossbow (one handed weapon) for final extra attack
>fire with handcrossbow as bonus attack as per crossbow expert

You only get one free interaction a turn though. Unless you have your crossbow out all the time your gonna need to draw the heavy crossbow turn one. And you can only draw one weapon per turn unless you have the Duelist feat.

This is not 3.5 where free actions are infinite. You can drow your weapon in the same turn you draw it, but you cant draw a second weapon that same turn.

Also, this is a one turn combo I just realized. Afterwards your going to be stuck with the hand crossbow the whole time, unless you drop the hand crossbow and use the heavy one for a turn, then on turn 4 (or 3 if you had the heavy crossbow out before combat) you could do the heavy / hand shuffle again.

*Drop* your weapon the same turn you draw it...

Oh. Yeah. This isn't necessarily "The first round of combat" this is "general round of combat assuming already holding heavy crossbow".

On the following turn, you drop the hand crossbow, pick up the heavy and fire with the heavy for all 4 attacks for a bit lower damage and then on the NEXT turn, you can repeat the above detailed procedure with the heavy and hand in the same turn. Alternate from there for maximum damage. This kills the crab.

>When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.
You aren't attacking with a one-handed weapon, thus the feat does not apply. Furthermore, you aren't holding the hand crossbow, you are drawing it.

DM permission would be required. If I were playing a Planescape campaign, i'd allow it.

Sorry to appear argumentative, but you're incorrect. The handcrossbow is a one-handed weapon.

>you aren't holding the hand crossbow, you are drawing it.
>draw weapon
>henceforth holding weapon
I'm an excellent logician, let me know if I'm going too fast for you.

Oh, but you aren't taking the attack action with the hand crossbow, only making an attack roll.

Can't decide between creating a rogue, monk, or paladin for an upcoming campaign. Being deliberately kept in the dark about setting/story, and all I know about the rest of the party is that someone plans to play a warlock.

>divine smite only works with melee attacks

How the fuck am I supposed to play as Frank Castle now?

>"When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use your bonus action to attack with a ... hand crossbow"
I'm using the attack action and I am attacking with a one-handed weapon. The criteria is met! :)

You are taking an attack action with a two-handed weapon. You're then dropping it and making one attack roll with a one-handed weapon, effectively dropping one shot with a heavy crossbow for a shot with a hand crossbow. That does not equal taking an attack action with a one-handed weapon, sorry.

I would advise paladin. That way you are a solid damage dealer, tank, and healer. Plus I've played vengeance paladin before and they are really fun to play imo.

>he doesn't understand how the AND operator works
>he's an adult in 2016
Shameful. Consider suicide.

The feat demands two separate (yes, separate, as indicated by the and operator) actions to be taken:
-use the Attack action
AND
-attack with a one-handed weapon

It does not say
>"When you use the Attack action and only attack with a one-handed weapon..."

You are objectively incorrect. Why are you bothering to argue? To be correct, you would need to alter the meaning of the AND operator to befit your argument. Stop being stupid user, I know you can do better than this.

>apply for a Dark Sun 5e game
>get accepted, start chatting with the other players
>go out for a get-together
>come back a few hours later
>game is gone
>DM deleted his account
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yes, you need to make the attack action with a one-handed weapon. If you are switching from a two-handed weapon, that cannot happen.

What are some Chaotic Good aligned celestials to throw at a party?

What gunslinger class is the best?

Matt mercer's or one of the million others out there?

i think matt's is perfectly serviceable, though I feel like fighter isn't the best fit

Still wrong, apply yourself. I know you can read, so try again:

The feat demands two separate (yes, separate, as indicated by the and operator) actions to be taken:
-use the Attack action
AND
-attack with a one-handed weapon

Use the Attack action. This is certainly done.
Attack with a one-handed weapon. This is also certainly done.

If your reply to this post is more bullshit "I can't read"/"I don't understand operators", then I will not continue replying to you. But you're going to keep trying to support your argument because you can't just accept that you were wrong on the internet.

>running Curse of Strahd
>party heads out from Vallaki to the Bonegrinder
>rogue climbs to the second-story walkway, party kicks in the door
>show Morgantha the deed from Death House and tell her they own the place
>she laughs, sets the deed on fire in an instant
>party gets super butthurt, roll for initiative
>rogue breaks in to the top window, ends up between Morgantha and one of her daughters
>daughter casts Bestow Curse
>Wisdom save or do nothing each turn
>paladin casts Command on the daughter from down the stairs
>fails save despite advantage
>"Defenestrate!"
>daughter hag grapples the cursed rogue
>succeeds
>drags him to the window
>throws him outside

You are only expressing your opinion that the attack action doesn't need to be initiated with a one-handed weapon, dear.

The wording is the same as is used for rules for two-weapon fighting, and you can't hit thrice with a two-handed weapon, drop it, draw two one-handed weapons (with the feat, of course) and attack again with both of them either.

If you disagree, you're more than welcome to write wotc and ask for a ruling.

Oh and it would be just as easy to say that dropping a weapon ends your attack action, since you aren't wielding a weapon anymore. And drawing and firing would require a new attack action. You can certainly fire your heavy crossbow 4 times, drop it, use action surge, draw a hand crossbow and attack 5 times if you'd like.

If this were an edition where Wis was valued for Paladins, he might not have made that mistake.

Would you two get a room already?

Isn't dealing with rules lawyers very on-topic?

How would you guys handle power armor in 5e?

I'm thinking no less than +3 enchantment and an advantage on strength checks, but what else could there be? Obviously it's meant for a high level party.

> Battlemaster with a gun

Immunity to airborne poison attacks due to it being a completely sealed unit, maybe.

What kind of monsters inhabit the 32,000-year-old derelict spaceship out in the wastes?

I got rid of Topsy and Turvy and made Jimjar a wererat instead. I also got rid of Eldeth and Ront, bringing the number of NPCs down to a reasonable level. It felt more like a party than a mob.

>not making Jimjar a god that shows up at the end

I want to run the campaign just for that.

God of gambling maybe? That's actually a really interesting idea.

You mean the one out in the Barrier Peaks?

No, we already know what's in that one, and it's in the mountains. This is the desert spaceship, and it sticks up out of the ground like a tower, not a piece of shit buried under some rocks.

If a good portion of the shaft is void on the inside, could be a Beholder. They make their lairs in places with a lot of verticality.

does it matter what color I make my dragonborn mechanically? Making a vengeance paladin out of it.

READ THE FUCKING PHB YOU COCKMONGLER

How would Veeky Forums build a party that solely consists of rogues?

Social Rogue. Rapier, nobility background, high Charisma, stuff like that. Arcane Trickster archetype, maybe, mostly spells like Friends, Charm Person, etc. Your dashing rogue.
Dick-ass-thief. Stealthy bullshit out the nose, crossbow or kite 'n' dagger. Thief archetype: game plan is to abuse cunning action and climbing features to avoid trouble and attack from sneaky locations at range. High Dexterity to hit/not get hit.
We-spellcaster-now Arcane Trickster rogue. Use Minor Illusion, Color Spray, Tasha's Hideous Laughter for support. Maybe use Illusory Script to forge documents for the Social Rogue to abuse. Bump Intelligence to keep those saves high.
Poison Assassin: uses the Assassin Archetype's poisoner's kit proficiency to put poison to use in battle alongside the traditional suite of sneak-assassin bullshit. Might step on the toes of the dick-ass thief, though, there don't seem to be many rules about poisons.

Social rogue should be a Swashbuckler.

Apparatus of Kwalish. Literally that, just fluff the appearance however you like.

Exactly. Have one of each archetype and you can't go wrong. Swashbuckler and Mastermind for social situations, tactics and intrigue, Arcane Trickster for the occasional spell and mage hand legerdemain, Assassin because this party is getting surprise rounds every fucking time. Thief is always useful too, even more if they take the Healer feat.

I don't know why the group I play with insists that thief archtype is weak. Maybe they think anything that can't be immediately useful in combat isn't worth it or something.