Free ice cream edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old adventure module: →

Which old modules would you most like to see ported to fifth edition?

Other urls found in this thread:

thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2014/10/tyranny-of-dragons-guide-to-hoard-of.html?m=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Tomb of Horrors is kind of a cliche at this point, but it's basically a tradition at this point for my group to play it once every few years or so.

I have a hard time imaging how it would run in 5e.

>Which old modules would you most like to see ported to fifth edition?
I've never really played any of the official adventures. Honestly, I'd just like to see some real support for any setting other than fucking Forgotten Realms.

My friend actually only runs premade adventures, and I was lucky enough for him to do a bit of a showcase of several of the classic adventures.

They're rather hit and miss, but there is something about the shared experience that makes them interesting. Finding someone else who can discuss going through White Plume Mountain is a neat "same hat" moment, and it's always nice to go through where people died in your run through the Tomb of Horrors.

I like the "greatest hits" feel WotC is going for: dragons, elemental evil, underdark demons, I6 Ravenloft, and next is giants.

It would be interesting to do something bonkers like Apocalypse Stone or really just an off the wall high level game.

>filename
I feel triggered

>Apocalypse Stone
Funny you should mention that, I've literally set up my entire campaign around my players playing that module once they get to high enough levels.

Help me out here Veeky Forums.

Today I went to my local game shop for a rando/pick me up type of game. Foolishly, I came in ready to play DnD 5e, but the only game available was PF. I'm a rookie who barely got introduced into 5e, so being taught on the spot rules for PF Sucked ass.

Can anyone just please help me get my DnD fix? My last group hasn't met up in 4 weeks and I've been getting radio silence ever about next session.

Or am I forever doomed to never play again?

If you don't mind playing online, roll20 is a good place to search for a game.

I've been lurking on Veeky Forums for a bit, and people got some horror stories about it.

What is it actually like?

Pretty meh. Just go into it with the same expectations as if you were going to the FLGS in a new city.

Fair enough. Does the community mind/tolerate text only? I'm obviously comfortable playing DnD and stuff, but role playing while living with my folks doesn't sit well with me. Mainly just the vocal part.

I'd LOVE to see a 5e edition of Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. Really neat module, and I think t wouldn't be too out of place for 5e.

Dude, if you're fucking inbred enough to beg Veeky Forums for a game, you really are in no place to judge the shit you hear about Roll20.

>mind/tolerate text only

I hate this place so fucking much.

I'm not Judging numbnuts. But when all you hear about "Mount Rapeface" is its unusually high production of shit, then you would at least like to know from said locals, IF it is as bad as people say it is.

>I have a hard time imaging how it would run in 5e.
How come?

Yes, it is as bad.

Yes, you would fit right in.

No, the people on Veeky Forums are not better.

Thank you.

Just wanted an answer on that.

You have to be either patient or lucky to find a good group. Sure there are a lot of weird ones around, and I've had some bad experiences, but it isn't always bad. As the other user said, it's playing with strangers after all.

I've seen some games that were text only here and there. I prefer to use voice, but if that's your thing, roll20 has a search engine with options to look for text only games.

which thread are we posting in?

this or

You have any good experience with it? I mean obviously you're recommending it, but how would you personally rate it?

Why is downtime so much fun? I'm relatively new to DMing, about 10-15 sessions in to my first campaign, and the first half of today's session was entirely the players going around the city to stores and interacting with people and it was the most fun I or my players have had so far. Am I just shitty at designing dungeons and combat encounters or is downtime always this great?

I've noticed the same thing. The sessions where the players just dicker around the town are the ones that everyone has the most fun on, and the ones where we go dungeon delving are kind of boring.

I suspect it's beczuse I try to actully put some life into my NPCs (I do voices, act out their mannerisms, etc.), and the players all have pretty well developed characters. Is that the same for you?

What do you think?

first off don't be such a lil bitch and just get on the mic, nobody cares that your voice sounds like it's 400lbs and/or 14 years old

second you can filter by text/voice/ voice and video. However there is very few text games and they just won't be as good as a game with voice.

I have played in three groups on r20, one was terrible with a GM who couldn't even RP or improv a fucking general store, second is ongoing and is running an old adventure module and is a blast since we're not concerned with RP and are just killing some orcs, and the other game is the best group i've been with, everyone is super into it and the DM is great if a bit restrictive rules-wise

just go in and make some friends. Avoid obviously bad campaigns (easily identified by a very short/poorly written description of the campaign, and conversely also easily identified by an extremely long over-written description with six pages of rules, a PDF form for applications, and a bunch of retarded rules like "talking in combat costs a bonus action")

be a relaxed, fun guy, don't breath/eat chips into your fucking mic

Yeah, there was definitely much more personality in all the shopkeepers and other NPCs than in any combat encounters or anything.

Thanks mate. I was more worried about my parents hearing me role play. But I guess it can be worse. I'll definitely give it a shot though.

you can specifically also filter for games welcoming new players, though most games don't care if you just tell them you're new up front

I'd suggest doing a couple one-shots before committing to an actual game

alright guys, i've been thinking about how to fic the martial.caster disparity and i think ive got it.

All you need to do is make spells take a number of turns equal to their level to cast. Boom. Disparity solved. Because now the martials need to defend the casters or else the caster is toste. Teamwork, done.

Does it fix the problem? My party is going to be getting up to level 4 soon and I really don't want to be left behind

Is this a joke or for reals?

the combat segment system should stay dead

It's funny that I was thinking about this same concept earlier today, but the problem with it is that it would become really pretty boring to play a spellcaster in battle. It's not a very good solution for that reason alone.

martials tend to dominate at lvs5-10 from my experience

So you don't think my dm will like it?

You know, just play the game. You won't be left behind, ask the DM later on if you feel like your character isn't doing much o perhaps throws scenarios that can also suit other characters.

That's... amazingly retarded. You should probably kill yourself. 5e casters are already weaker than 1e or OD&D casters.

"hey dm, I thought of a way to make playing any sort of spellcaster (80% of the game's classes, every class actually can get spells of some sort) a fucking massive chore because some people get massively butthurt about how hitting something with a sword is not as good as a throwing a 20ft fireball"

gee whiz.

also are you a martial player trying to pass this shit off? if so then top fucking lel, you came with that at my table and I'd laugh you out of my house

pretty sure he's just shitposting

I had luck and found a good group on the first game I joined. The DM wanted to do only a one-shot, but we had so much fun we decided to find another DM to pick it up from there (we were playing Lost Mines of Phandelver). The game kept going until our new DM simply stopped responding to us. After two months, I called the other players and suggested we find yet another DM to finish the module. We did, and he is doing well for someone who picked up a game half way through.

In the meantime I tried finding other games and had a lot of fun playing two one shots with the same group but different DMs. Also had some bad games and that is when I managed to find a game that already didn't have so many applications that it would be futile to try.

At some point I ran out of patience and decided to DM myself for the first time ever, running Hoard of the Dragon Queen. The first sessions were shit, but after I got a better understanding of things it's been going well.

Martials and casters are on-par with each other in combat. The problem is not combat power, but out-of-combat utility and their ability to interact with the campaign world.

Your fix fixes nothing, it just makes playing a caster more complicated and annoying.

this is hilarious

"magic is overpowered so I've given magic to every class in the game"

all these "martial powers" do is emulate stuff that magic users can do. It's just magic. Call it "martial powers" if you want, you've just given magic to everyone.

if you want to actually make martials more versatile, go class by class and give them unique features and shit instead of just tacking on straight up magic for everyone.

Not him, but most of those aren't spells, retard. The religion oriented guidance one is fairly stupid and un martial.

For people griping the OP of casting, just fuckin' roll a low-magic setting. If your players want to roll a caster, limit what classes and/or spells they can pick. Personally, I'd limit to clerics, warlocks, and DUSTY OLD wizards. And with the Ws, one or the other.
No spells for the martials.
>But muh paladin!
Fuck 'im, play a cleric, bitch. I suppose you could keep Way of Shadows for the monk, but why not play a rogue at that point?
BUT I DON'T KNOW SHIT, I'VE NEVER DM'D BEFORE! Plus my fucking sorcerer is a piece of shit.
That's what I've got.

>castrating paladins
>allowing clerics

For what conceivable purpose?

Is this a picture of you?

I don't see the point in a dipper of two pots. Fuck paladins. You want a religion police or what-shit, roll a fighter like that.
It's a picture of Bendydick Cuminsnatch, you pleb.

Interesting. So why do you shit on melee guys and cherish full casters so much? Has too much third edition and Pathfinder rotted your brain? Or do you just love imbalance and hate fun?

>religion police

Apply yourself.

I didn't think martials and casters were too unbalanced in 5e. Was I wrong?

You misunderstand the insult, user. That other-user was asking if the picture he posted was you. I assume other-user was calling you a Jew and that he cares little for the Jews.

I also think no paladins in a low magic setting is dumb. I would have more paladins than clerics because clerics get more magic.

They're not that unbalanced. Talk about 5e can be slow so any problems in the system are magnified.

Its much better than 3.X, and it pretty much works well in single digit levels, but it breaks entirely at 10+.

The picture is of a wizard who views muggles as nothing more than gentile livestock. On the other hand, he lets them NEET around in his fabulous city of magic so long as they don't mind having minute amounts of life force sapped for magic energy.

They're the weakest from any edition, including AD&D, OSR and B/x, but people are extremely upset because fighters can't teleport.

It's honestly fine, over the course of an adventuring day you won't notice much difference. And during downtime when the Wizard says he wants to cast Guards and Wards a million times and set up a Teleportation circle in his tower for the next year, you tell him that's nice and then set the party's next adventure a month's travel away from home.

I'm currently in the same situation as you with running HoTDQ as my first DM thing. Am I just retarded, or is chapter 4 either ass or kind of difficult to do well?

Return to The Tomb of Horrors would be pretty sweet, although I suspect it would be pretty neutered.

>is chapter 4 either ass
HotDragQueen is universally accepted as the worst 5e module yet. So yeah, when in doubt, assume that the module is shit.

Are there any guidelines on how much reward a party should be getting?

This is our first 5e adventure, and the party (of 5) has just reached lvl 4. So far I've given them around 70 gp between them, and 2 magic items (one of which is modest, and the other is cursed so no long term viability). I think maybe I give them too little.

>kek
Yeah, read the DMG, half that shit is treasure tables.

On the one hand, it does recommend your party have a significantly higher amount of shit at this point. On the other hand you;re the DM so if you want to give them way less that's totally up to you.

Not the guy you guys were replying to, but I didn't realize casters were so weak in this edition. How much weaker are they than in AD&D?

>so if you want to give them way less that's totally up to you.
There are people on Veeky Forums who will throw 300-post temper tantrums over not following WBL to the letter.

fighter should be running a keep by lvl 9.

this has NEVER changed. and it's now spelled out in crayon under the concept of "tiers of play"

Anybody have any advice on making combat more interesting for the players? I'm in essentially the same position as, . My combats are [retty bpring for everyone involved, and my players mainly like dicking around with NPCs

I advise you to go nuts and try shit out. magic items can be stolen in the night, or blow up. characters can be killed and new ones made.

After I bought 5e i flat out warned my players that this was a beta test and shit was gonna go south quick. they had fun.

It sounds like you're giving them too little, if you ask me. You're free to do whatever, but keep in mind that the players won't have easy access to things like healing potions or exploration equipment when you're designing encounters and adventures. "Go warn the king of coming war" as an adventure is a hell of a lot harder when all five players combined can only afford one horse.

more interesting monsters, maybe more weak ones, or a nice big menacing big bad

but i would note, there are literally RP systems that are what you're saying, where combat takes a bigger back seat and "fluffing things out" is better
i dont know if its true for current, but exalted had a system where if you could interestingly enough describe a cool event during combat, you can do it with a roll and the dm decides how easy it happens, THEN you actually fight
throw a hammer at a foe? roll the dice
throw a chakram in a cave bounding it off stalagmite to stalagmite to catch the hiding wizard in full cover unawares? "RP" roll then attack roll

>Yeah, read the DMG, half that shit is treasure tables.
I know, but I can't find anything about what is reasonable as an accumulated total. 4e had tables about what you should approaximately have earned at each lvl.

Our adventure is relatively light on combat encounters, and they lvl up by milestones. If I just use the random loot tables they'd probably end up light on loot too.

combat is just inherently kinda boring. nothing you can do about the fact that your players are essentially waiting for their turn to do math.

best advice i can give is to keep the combats short.

First and most simply of all, act out the enemies. If your goblins aren't screeching about having some skin-and-bone stew tonight DURING the fight, you're doing something wrong. Nothing more boring than a fight with a silent block of HP.
Other things that can spice up combat:

>using environment
Don't be afraid to throw down some Difficult Terrain, or encounters on rocky crags that require climbing, or windy day battles that lead projectiles astray. Don't let your battles take place in a plain, clean, white room.

>enemy strategies
The lone kobold hobbles around the corner, trailing blood. The Fighter reels around the same corner, greatsword in hand and bloodlust in his heart, but WHAM! Five kobolds with crossbows and prepared actions let loose a volley onto their unsuspecting victim. Enemies that use traps, positioning, items, and reinforcements are TONS more interesting that stand-and-attack puppets.

>attack descriptions
As a GM, I know exactly how easy it is to fall into the rut of "Roll attack. You hit. Enemy attacks. It hits. Take 10 damage." Spice it up with some imagery if you don't already. Maybe that 2 damage blow that the Fighter took from the orc was a great swing of an axe that shook that fighter's whole shield arm. Perhaps the attack that missed was instead a chance that the Giant took to bellow a mighty roar. Just remember, "hits" and "hit points" are just abstractions. Look at the number on the damage die, and describe something fitting for that much damage. Also keep in mind that describing every attack as a "cut, but he's still up" is very dull. Like I just said, ABSTRACTION is the name of the game. Cuts and bruises cause minor hit point loss, but so do things like sprains, getting the wind knocked out of you, pulling up your shield in an awkward and painful way, and having your armor stop the blade, but not the force.

Slight continuation here, but also remember to let the players describe their attacks as well! Ask the wizard what his sleep spell looks like. Is it a puff of dust that appears in front of each affected enemies eyes, or maybe a small wisp that dances from target to target? And how is the fighter fighting? What stances does he take, how does he swing, what openings does he leave to bait the enemy? Unfortunately, this is where you'll have to be carefully sure to make the players aware what is and isn't ok. That Fireball spell isn't going to look like the God of the sun appearing before the enemies and attacking them with 999 spears of light, just like how that 5 damage attack from the fighter isn't going to be ripping any spines out. Be careful to not be too dismissive of player involvement in descriptions, but also be firmly clear in what is and isn't ok for the tone of your game and the level of abstraction.

Page 38 should give a rough idea

That makes cantrips a free action, right? Fuck fireball, I firebolt everything I can see 100 times each.

Mostly the way traps and instant death are handled.

(Whoa, two threads created 40 minutes apart from each other, what are the odds)

Just out of curiosity, is there any book or official writing from WotC that add some of the spells from Elemental Evil to the Way of the Four Elements Monk's "spell list"?
I mean, it make a lot of sense the way I see it...

>(Whoa, two threads created 40 minutes apart from each other, what are the odds)

High, some moron made this thread because the other one made him sperg out.

Confusingly, no.

Wot4E Monks got absolutely nothing from Elemental Evil, further compounding just how terrible of an archetype it is.

At this point it needs a complete overhaul to be viable.

The other thread was started by the persistent shitposter responsible for Aaracokra grappler/AT is the only worthwhile Rogue archetype/"A girl turned me down, how do I kill her character in game".

If you let him establish himself we'll never get rid of him.

The other thread is literally spergs on parade.

We ran a couple of sessions tree months ago in 5e.
I don't see any problems with it

I had the same problem at first. But really there is now right way to do it as long as it isn't too extrime.
As for me, i gave players approximately this
1 Lvl they got a magic sword +1 and a stuff. Uncommon each. Plus potions and 200 gold (6 people party)
2 Lvl they got nothing
3 Lvl they found +1 cloak
4 Lvl they found a vial of poison worth 2000 gold, speed boots and more gold
They had a miniature adventure over it. They didn't know the real cost and alchemist was trying to buy it for 400 gold. They rolled for perseption. He was excited, so they refused. Then alchemist started begging them to buy it for 650 gold. He was ready to sell his house. But they refused againg. Later that night he stole that vial. A lot of time they were trying to find him. One day they found a corpse with that vile in a trolls cave. They have also found a non-sent letter, where this guy wrote that he found a way to pay his debt. So they've got to sell it on lvl 6
I probably gave them too much, but it didn't cause any problems. We had fun and that's what matters.

What about just increasing the amount of Ki points they get?

y u heff 2 b mad?

No. Just look for that one " Wot4E monk revised" PDF.
I got it on my PC but can't upload it now since i'm away from home.

It includes fixes to the current "spells" making Fangs of the fire snake for example cost no ki for base damage and extended range by 5 ft, works with MA bonus action attack and can be fluried.
They also get mold earth etc. as free cantrips.
Pretty great stuff and the names are hillarious.

Doesn't solve the inherent problem that none of their abilities are worth using over just attacking+flurrying every round, and that their abilities are just actual spells that the wizard will cast more effectively and much earlier for proportionally far fewer resources, and don't synergise with the Monk features at all. Paladin, hell even Ranger gets around being a half caster by having unique spells until the bard steals them that fit their theme and scale better in the late game, but Wot4E Monks get nothing but scraps. Meanwhile the other Monk archetypes get interesting features like teleporting through darkness and the only true save-or-die in the game.

HotDQ has many flaws. I have searched for several guides to help me run it, and they have helped me immensely. This one was the best so far: thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2014/10/tyranny-of-dragons-guide-to-hoard-of.html?m=0

Chapter 4 is very slow and can become boring, what I'm doing is I set the schedule of what's happening next session in advance and just skip the uneventful days, unless the players decide to do something such as chat with NPCs, harvest herbs to brew poison, try to craft something (only simple stuff), etc.

I try to have two or three of the random encounters per session, one of them involving combat. In combat I crank up the difficulty without giving them more XP, because otherwise having one fight per day makes it too easy when they can just blow through all their resources.

I think maybe I should irk on the light side. Since there isn't much combat, they hardly use health potions, and equipment is less important.

Why are we posting in two different threads again?

just pick one to hide

or hide both, its not like anything meaningful ever gets discussed here any way

I am trying, but I'm on mobile and the more threads there are, the slower the browser gets and the more battery drain there is

I don't really think having "unique" spells is really all that important.

>1 Lvl they got a magic sword +1

That sounds crazy early to find a +1 weapon. Even in other editions it's a bit much.

So I'm designing a frontier town (heavily Wild West themed, guns and horses included). Not going to go into detail since it was ignored last time.

Any advice for fun characters, places, events, outlying areas etc?

Clint Eastwood parody.

Hey Veeky Forums what are those wall demon things?

What happens if you stick your hand in one?

ookada ijiri will lick it

You get free ice cream.

No, actually I made it yesterday while drunk since Veeky Forums is pretty shit making new /5eg/s once the current one starts autosaging. I totally forgot to throw in a thread question in the OP though because, well, booze...

Maybe you should not make the threads from now on. Also, could you adopt a tripcode?

Working on it. I have one based on John Wayne!

Either way, the other guy seems to be contained in that thread so we can at least have a brief respite.

Why would I ever use a trip? :) You've created some sort of strawman that I'm the aarakocra mongoloid though, that sperg using a trip would certainly make filtering him easier but he's got such a recognizable writing style that it's not really needed.

And I've made like half of the last 8 threads, when /5eg/ is teetering deep down page 10. This board is simply shit at making new ones. :^)

If you want people to extend to you the benefit of the doubt, don't be a dumbass.

Considering all you've done so far is admit to being a dumbass, but not a particular dumbass, you still should do us all a favor and adopt a trip.