WIP Work In Progress General

Wasted the whole weekend with Stellaris instead of painting - edition.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
[YouTube] Build A Light Box On The Cheap, Take Gorgeous Photos! (embed)

>How to Moldlines
[YouTube] Removing mold lines from models (embed)

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
[YouTube] How to Magnetize a Tyranid Carnifex (embed)
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

Old thread: 47351303

Other urls found in this thread:

wikidiff.com/cancerogenic/carcinogenic
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Layer
strawpoll.me/10280195
youtube.com/watch?v=wJPATzzxldw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Wasted the whole weekend with Stellaris instead of painting - edition.
Reminder that Stellaris is bland and will be until DLC

I know I posted them before, but I ripped off the ammo box for my draigo and gave him a magazine for the stormbolter and a sword handle. My ocd got the better of me.

Also, aligning that little sword grip with tweezers almost broke me anons.

But the Emperor Protects!

it looks like you've just basecoated them

very nice. great brushcontrol nice and neat. i think you ought add depth to the colors...everything seems very new .e books blank armors shiny new..good work none the less

Like most videogames, I mean look at the new Total War Warhammer game, sad times.

Anyway: anyone tried the new Citadel airbrush colors? I want to get kantor and genestealer for base airbrushing, but the normal paints clogged my airbrush hard, despite being thinned down.

Yeah, citadel is overpriced but I dont know how similiar Kantor blue is to vallejo imperial /dark prussian blue and vallejo has no substitute for genestealer.

>thought it was just me because loads of others were jizzing over these a few threads ago

Force weapons look better with greater contrast between the darkest and lightest parts.

Your reds just look really flat to me, same for the sergeant's white helm.

First unit of my Guardians of the Covenant army.
Wanted a small army with almost all units covered with hoods and clothed, but I can't figure a way to not make it extremely overxpensive (12 dollarydoos for 5 torsos and legs with robes).

Anyways, thoughts?

Hoods and robes can be GSed, but you're then trading the cost of bits for the cost of learning to sculpt (and a bunch of whatever putty you end up using).

By mashing up the DA Veteran, Sternguard and Tactical kits you can get a strong robed vibe going without everyone being robed head-to-toe.

Also be more diligent for mold lines.

looking good man. Regarding robes and hoods theres this
But also you can find decent prices on ebay for this stuff, takes longer to complete the army but its still money off the original prices

mold lines on helmet, hood, and powerfist.

Does this work as a head? it's obviously dry-fitted so far, but it's the best head I've got.

Trim your nails.

Yeah it looks like a head, what's the plan?

the user asks if it would fit, theme-wise.

With some greenstuff for the neck, it will probably fit.

What is the theme you're going for?

not entirely sure yet. Daemon prince or chaos spawn, I think. either that, or a chaos troll for AoS, but I dunno about that.

>What is the theme you're going for?
as statednot sure yet. I'm just using what parts I have to create something while I wait for this month's payday.

(You)

nice enough job but the recesses need a wash, especially the areas where two different paint colors meet i.e. silver to red, silver to gold, blue to gold on power swords, etc. Without it everything looks flat and boring.

Just finished legs

Do a wash and some highlights and your golden man.
Right now they are rather flat.

?

Closeups please.

> Poor little blue guy.jpg
Fuck yeah user flash those sexy legs.

I like these but i just dont see the red boots. It makes them look like clows in my twited mind. The swords could use more white near the extremes, and the demon head lacks contrast with the rest of the model, maybe painting the horns black with a good red-black transition. But overall really nice models.

not sure what washes to do. I've Seraphim Sepia'd the gold twice, and Nuln oiled the gold twice. Armor has been nuln oiled twice as well. If I wash where the colors meet what color wash do I use?

Yeah, I should stop being a cheap ass and buying a decent knife instead of cheap cardboard cutters.

I need proof that GWs paint is non toxic and not canceragenic and causes long term side effects when consumed accidently (licking brush) because my room mate is retarded

So this just happened

>just won this guy for 10 bucks after trying to buy him for a reasonable price for years

>canceragenic
wtf is this shit. wikidiff.com/cancerogenic/carcinogenic

It says they're not on them.

"All of our paints are non-toxic, water-based acrylic"

Here's my next project... looks like I have slightly less than a week to complete it.

There's a chance it's a recast. Still good find.

>All of our paints are non-toxic, water-based acrylic that are designed for use on plastic, metal, and resin Citadel miniatures.

games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Layer

Much as they're not toxic, licking your brush is a habit it's better to kick: You're less likely to fuck up and do it if you're using enamels or oils (which you should not lick) and it's just a little bit skanky tbqh.

>licking your brush is a habit it's better to kick
people actually make a habit of licking their brushes? wtf?

Finished this guy in like 5 hours, I already like him as he looks like Tintin

People start doing it and get used to doing it when they want a fine point.

Looks nice, but get some lighter highlights on those belly spikes.

Next time take a bit more care for your mold lines, they're pretty obvious on the gauntlet.

I think I'd also wash the chicken a few more times for that golden, roasted colour, but that's just me.

fucking disgusting. that means they are getting their saliva in the paint they use for their models. So basically their models are covered in their spit.

That's the worst part of it, he's still in the original blister but I want to paint him which would destroy the value of him being mint/unpainted

Maybe lightning will strike twice and I'll be able to get a used one. I really can't stand the idea of unboxing OOP stuff for some reason.

thanks! Yeah, for the belly spikes, I saw a tutorial on white dwarf but I probably screwed up something

Will be more carefull with the gauntlet next time, as I still have one more bull to paint

Thanks for the tips!

not him, but what would you wash it with?

Interested to see how many people do / have done it.

strawpoll.me/10280195

>Don't talk to me or my dreadnought ever again.

I'd have to try it out, but a brown ink for preference.
If in GW then seraphim sepia probably.

Basically at the moment the chicken doesn't look cooked and it's not that different to the ogre flesh, so I'd want to differentiate it by either going with paler fleshtones for a raw chicken or building up the golden-brown look.

Anyone seen a company that makes a head bit similar to the pic?

Question's wrong. It's too broad, you won't get accurate results. Do you lick your brush on a regular basis would be a better question.

Question intentionally worded with reaction in mind, but feel free to set up the regular brushlickers poll.

>I really can't stand the idea of unboxing OOP stuff for some reason.

I know what you mean, fortunately, I have plenty of deez ladz hanging around from other boxes ... and a few painted, as well!

Same, I have pic related brand new in box with shrink wrap and the original price sticker on it, I want to build and paint them but I also dont

the officer of the tomb king's tomb guards had something like this

Ah yeah I picked up a 15 kg box of random assorted stuff a year ago, had tons of these guys in them. One day I'll get to cleaning and painting them for sure, I just need to invest in an industrial sonic cleaner first because fuck doing all that by hand.

Old picture of a part of the box made on an old phone at the time

Check out Sanguinary Guard for the masks, that's just base GW stuff, maybe another third party for the helmets? Or greenstuff even.

Good choice of chapter, you just need to get rid of the moldlines and you'll make the lawyers proud.

Maybe you could put a helmet over the stormcast eternals heads? Might be a bit big though

>Sanguinary Guard
Ahh shit, perfect.

>stormcast eternals
could work, but as I recall the faces are actually quite expressive

>Ah yeah I picked up a 15 kg box of random assorted stuff a year ago, had tons of these guys in them.

I always imagine I'll find something like that at a garage or (more likely) an estate sale, but it's always the same women's shoes, Christmas decorations, and other junk. At least I was able to get my son a bicycle last time.

Sometimes I think about selling some of my stuff, but whenever I do, I always regret it. I had a Sisters army, , with a custom Inquisitor bearing a Condemnor bolt gun to lead them, and I sold them for way less than they go for these days.

How do I make my yellow less chalky?

Is it just a case of thinning my paints better? Would working from a white base be better?

youtube.com/watch?v=wJPATzzxldw

bro. that looks like nurgle shat it out.

that picture is pretty old user. i'm surprised you haven't seen it before.

Nuln oil between red and silver, silver and gold
Drakenhof nightshade for blue to gold

lol, so? You touch virtually every part of those models before and after. Probably blow on them at some point, clearing off dust, or excess basing material.
You cough, scratch your armpits, butt, belly, nose, ears, etc, etc, then touch yours and other models.
Yet the tiniest amount of saliva on CURED paint (do you know what that means?) makes you freak out?
I hope you never eat out at a restaurant lol.

Hey /wip/, I figured if anyone could help me you guys would. Just finished assembling my renegade box, and im trying to figure out the color scheme for my knights. I have the green I want for the main livery, and the Imperial livery Is going to be black aquila on red field. My only problem I that I would like to use that cream color House Terryn uses for personal livery, but I cant figure out where to start. If anyone Ould help that would be awesome, Im also open to suggestion if people feel that the colors I listed clash or dont work well togetheri

thanks for the advice user!

green, red and cream?

a maroon or violet might work.

Maroon stripes for barons and the high king sounds like an awesome spot color! I just thought I could even give my knights glowing violet eyes instead of the regular red or green

glad I could help, dude

Just started some Skitarii rangers (Excuse the shitty camera quality)

If I want to use a KV2 kit as a Russ, do I want a 1/35, 1/48, or 1/56?

So I posted these guys yesterday while the thread was already dying, mentioned I was considering ditching the magnets and just building them as grav centurions. Probably with missiles?

I already have a lot of las in my army with razorbacks and a predator I need to get around to building. Plus I think if I want las devastators I should make them regular guys since they'll have a nice range without needing to move around...

Fists if matters.

I tried a few new techniques out today but they kind of failed badly. I tried that whole reflecting silver on the deathwatch dark angel sword. And a exposed eye socket on my disfigured death guard. Not happy with either.

The other 2 models are very early WIP. A deathwatch Minotaur and vindicare assassin (haven't even finished base coats on vindicare)

i think it's probably 1/35
I could be wrong though since 40k isnt perfect with their scaling.

the silver in the sword is allllmost right. Could work if you tried it again

Also I really like the armour on the dude with the lichen eye

I read somewhere (look up dakka dakka or one of the other forums, they have topics where some guy measured each viable tank at each scale) that 40k's vehicles are inbetween 1/48 and 1/35.

and even so they are a wee-bit too small. So if you buy it in 1/35 it'll be bigger than a 40k tank but the little plastic dudes will seem like they'd fit inside.

Wash the bone sticking out red, on the DG. Like he's freshly injured. And blend the silver and dark metal together on the DA. Boom. Fixed.

Photos are actually reasonably in focus, but following pic related will make them nicer to look at.
Creating a collage is also a good way to present multiple views of the same model instead of making multiple posts.

>Hairs stuck to model
>Mold lines on backpack
>Tidy up the line between red and cream
>white smudge on front of coat
>White on mechanicum symbol doesn't seem to have covered enough

Keep it up though, mostly just some neatening up and taking some things slower to improve it.

The position of his arms is incredibly off putting, even for Space Marine proportions.

Eh, unless he's playing with dickheads, i see no reason why he couldnt bring a 1/35 scale KV-2.
The scale almost works to his disadvantage.

Megaboss converted to the other Megaboss

It's actually the head rolling up because its resting at an angle, it normally sits much deeper in the centurion's torso.

Lovely work.

Started my exalted vermin lord today. It's been sitting on my shelf for years, but I finally got inspired enough to have a go. I still fucking suck at glow effects. Also that base is going to be a bitch to do with all those rats.

Okay, now that I am done with my metallic Thousand Sons, and before I move on to my Daemons of Tzeentch, I am going to take a terrain making interlude.

So, you guys saw my Spiral Rock Mountain, two rusty vents and one hill. I am going to continue on this table by finishing my two CHURCH tiles.
One has been painted and such, but some Veeky Forumsiggers said it looked too clean (of rubble and debris) and the other is in early stages.

You can see I have lots of plasticard pipes and girders and I do have various thicknesses of plasticard sheets. You can also see lots of scraps and bits and resin bricks.
Does Veeky Forums have any recommendations as I move forward? I have tons of resin sandbags and barrels as well.
I have custom daemonic stained glass windows on transparent paper to fit into windows, but I am not sure if I should use any as the building is in ruins.

nice try Cypher. But I can still see your 30k shoulder pad.

Anyone ever use this for anything?

I am thinking of doing a water feature with a turquoise colouring under the water and thought about doing a final dry brush of this stuff before adding the Realistic Water Effects on top.
My group plays night fight turns with the lights out and headlamps on. I think this might be a really neat sort of Table "easter egg" for my friends.
Also, you should try Night Fight with headlamps... it was initially a joke... that turned out to be really fun and a house rule.

>Thin paints down, pretty sure I got it right
>Open curtains the next morning to get some sunlight in
>Look at model
>Any part that I did Sotek Green on looks like shit
>Everything else looks perfectly fine

Fucking... was 3 drops of water too little despite it going from a nice blob to tiny droplets of paint?

>>Thin paints down, pretty sure I got it right
>>Open curtains the next morning to get some sunlight in
>>Look at model
>>looks like shit

me with yellow 2bh

Need pics to judge your stuff m8.

Glow effects are the easiest thing in the world if you use glazing mediums and acrylic flow improver (galleria for example)

Just make the center of what you want bright really bright. Start off dark and work your way to the center with intermediate colors mixed with the glaze medium.

I don't have a camera, or a smartphone, sadly.

I'm almost thinking it has to do with my town's horrible tap water and I should be using Lahmian Medium instead.

Very nice. The normal mega nobs look way too boxy. This looks like a more believable juggernaught-ish appearance (marvel jugga not daemon one)

And I am also doing a skull mountain piece using a broken terrarium piece. It will be done in a similar fashion to the spiral mountain to the left of it.

BTW, these are all sized (height and width) to fit into milk crates for easy storage and moving.

Can I use an airbrush in my room or should I do it outside?

>Try using some Vallejo airbrush thinner for brush on paints
>They actually go on the way I wanted them to

I'm thinking my town's tap water is even WORSE than I thought.

You can but open the windows. You should also use a mask no matter where you do it.

Alright, thanks user.

I'll move my table to be under my windows when I re-arrange my room. Should help me get better lighting on the models too, now that I think about it.

I'm gonna made the flesh melt over, and most likely to the entire legs around with green-stuff. still not sure what to do with the arms, so any tips on that would be appreciated.

also, clipped nails, as user suggested.