Veeky Forums beginners stories

To give some background. I started playing MTG about two weeks ago. I'm not really a nerd in the neckbeard-introverted angsty fat-guy sense.
I'm an extremely extroverted and confident person.
That's not not to say that people in Veeky Forums aren't ever extroverted or confident.
I mean I have geeky aspects about me. I used to collect comics when I was 10 years old and I play D&D once in a while but I never got dedicated.
To me, I always thought MTG was one of those nerd-games that I'd never get into because I'm just not smart enough for it.
I used to see the kids playing it back in high school and they would get so worked up and emotional about it. I could only wonder how pathetic you would have to be to get so upset over a card game.
Anyway, on with the story.

>Be me
>Hanging out with friends
>Playing D&D
> Almost all my friends are girls.
>I'm the only straight guy.
>Some of them are qt, others aren't.
>Hardly ever play D&D, but the tranny in our group wanted to be a DM for us
>Game was kinda boring but it had some moments
>One of the girls named her character Blue Gummy-bear tits so I would roleplay my character pseudo-dramatically and say her full name every time I addressed her character.
>"Blue Gummy-bear tits! I am coming to save you Blue-Gummy-bear tits"
>The time is now Blue Gummy-bear tits!
>No! Don't die Blue-Gummy-bear Tits! I will avenge you Blue Gummy Bear tits!
>Anyway the D&D game eventually ended, I got around to talking to my tranny friend and tell her that he did a good job.

>Somehow we ended up talking about Magic the Gathering
>I tell her that it seems fun but I don't think I'm cut out for it.
>He says that she'll teach me if I wanna come hang out with him.
>I tell her that'd be cool and so I go over to his place the next day.
>She teaches me the ropes and I...actually learn pretty fast.
>Play against a few games against him and even manage to win sometimes.
>Go home feeling good about my adventures.
>I am a MTG player now. Even better than MLG.
>A couple nights later I realize that I have a craving for more MTG cards.
>I need more.
>I need my fix.
>Think about driving over to the D&D shop but realize I can't do that, they're closed.
>It's 11 PM
>Should probably wait until tomorrow
>No, I need my fucking MTG
>Begin fantasizing about creating different decks.
>Decide that I want to build a white and black deck.
>Practically watering at the mouth thinking about it.
>Go to Wal-Mart
>Spend probably half an hour looking for the damn cards.
>I keep thinking to myself "Wal-Mart must have it right?" as I walk through the aisles.
>Go in circles around the store a couple times
>Don't want to ask anyone working there because it's late, and I'm a nice guy so I don't want anyone to have to help me find fucking magic cards when they could be finishing their final shift.
>Eventually an old man walks up to me.
>"Sir? Are you looking for something?"
>"Y-Yeah, do you know where they keep the card games here?"
>He points over to some UNO cards. "There's some cards over there."

>Feel an overwhelming amount of shame. I don't want to admit that I like MTG.
>Finally utter the words
>"N-No...I'm looking for..m-magic"
>He leads me over to the corner of wal-mart where the magic cards are.
>I give him a very polite thank you and grab a starter kit with white in it, and a ton of booster packs
>End up spending way too much on the whole thing.

Does it ever get better Veeky Forums?

No. I've gotten my addiction down to one pack every Friday night, but sometimes the temptation is too great. Might also be because I've pulled 2 expedition lands in one year.

This story can (and should) have been edited down to "I am embarassed to try and buy MtG cards, Veeky Forums, what do I do?"

Seriously, OP, you're a tool.

>Be me
>>>reddit

Try a TLDR next time because right now it's just one long blog post.

I went to draft last night, and I was the only person who showed up. The three people who work at the store were there. 2 others showed up 5 minutes late. We had a 6 person draft. I went 0-3, the first time I went winless.

I was basically rare drafting though. A Tireless Tracker was passed to me 3rd pack. I wasnt in green, but Im not passing that.

What's ridiculous, is last week I randomly thought "I hope I dont pull TITI first pack", and that's what happened. Luckily I got Declaration in Stone in that pack so I didnt try to force TITI in limited. Well, Friday, got TITI first pack again, and the other rare was some other totally unforgettable BS, so I forced a TITI deck.

Anyways, the pulls in the draft were
Sorin
TITI
Tireless Tracker
Foil Deathcap Cultivator
Falkenwarth Gorger
Engulf The Shore

I played Esper, but I really loathe TITI in limited after having it in Pre-Release. The absolute worst feel was having TITI on the field with one counter left, an Engulf The Shore in hand that Im not playing to awaken the horror, because flipping TITI and playing Engulf next turn is basically lethal, and my opponent plays the card that puts a permanent on top of my library.

>TLDR, TITI is bad feelings in limited

One of the first booster packs I ever opened was a dragons of takhir one and I pulled a wooded foothills expedition land. From then on I've pulled and sold so many cards that I've only ever lost a total of $39 on this hobby.

Expeditions are only in the zendikar sets. the best you could have got is a foiled foothills from dtk.

I guess it wasn't. I just bought one of each of the 5 different colored booster packs at Walmart and found one. Guess it was in the zendikar pack.

I find your story interesting, OP. When I was a kid, everyone played MTG.
Every class mate of mine played it, even the older ones, so I kinda grew up playing MTG.
Years later there's only a few of us left but I got a friend of mine recently into MTG. At first he was hesitant and thought he wasn't "cut out" for it, like you.
Then after playing some games, he was hooked. Bought a display the day after.

I recommend to everyone in this thread to show your friends MTG and play a little with them, even if they're only a bit interested.
Who knows, maybe you get a new friend to play with. The more the merrier, like they say

What set did you buy?, Battle for Zendikar?, Oath of the Gatewatch?, Shadows over Innistrad?, Magic Origins?

Post your rare pulls and show us whichever decks you assembled.

It does get better, in a way. In some time you'll probably stop buying packs and start buying singles online. You'll spend more money but you'll buy far more intelligently and sparsely.

Next step is buying from the chinaman and then you won't even spend that much.

If you buy from WalMart, sometimes the similarly aged tellers will comment. Positively, of course.
I had one carry on about how they were ruining black.

>tranny in our group
>switch pronouns every time
Middle kek.

Good lord, you could have shaved off so much fat from this story. The gist of it could be brought down to 2-3 lines of greentext.

>Does it ever get better Veeky Forums?
Yes and no. If you want to put together competitive decks to bring to Friday Night Magic, you're going to want to buy singles, not boosters. You will not get much volume of cards this way, if that's what you're looking for. If you're going to buy packs, I recommend using them for drafting with your friends. Even sealed drafts are fun.

What is it that makes people think they aren't "cut out" to play MtG? It's a children's card game for goodness sake, only ages 13 and up. It's not like you're going to have to solve some linear algebra or memorize the unit circle just to play the game.

To be fair, some janky interactions require a solid understanding of order of application of effects, layers, timestamps, etc.

The stack is literally just "first in, last out", it's not that complicated.

>It's a children's card game for goodness sake

OP here.

It's played mostly by angry men, seeing them throw tantrums and get upset about it is off-putting and makes you think that you're just not hardcore enough to play.

Sorry bro

I have been actually, now that I know how easy it is to learn I'm teaching a bunch of my friends.

I bought an Innistrad starter deck with white and red which I didn't alter at all.

and then I bought an origins deck with green and white.

I originally had a black/green deck before I bought those two.

But I wanted a white/black deck.

So I took the green out of my deck and the white/green deck and put them together to make a full-green deck,

Then I took the white out of the white/green deck and put it with my black cards to make my white/black deck.

Then I went online and found that I needed to keep my deck down to around 60 cards to be efficient.

Here's what I have

>3 Cleric of the Forward Order
>2 Devilthorn Fox
>2 Pale Rider of Trostad
>2 Thornbow Archer
>2 Sentinel of the Eternal Watch
>2 Stallion of Ashmouth
>1 Ghoulsteed
>1 Inspiring Captain
>1 Patron of the Valiant
>1 Nixus, Prison Warden
>1 Blood-cursed knight
>1 Heavy Infantry
>1 Crow of Dark Tidings
>1 Knight of the Pilgrims Road

Enchantments

>2 Dead Weight
>2 Knightly Valor
>1 Infernal scarring
>1 Gryffs Boon
>1 Valor in Akros
>1 Grasp of the Hieromancer

Instants

>2 Enshrouding Mist
>2 Mighty Leap
>1 Throttle
>1 Unholy Hunger
>1 Strength of Arms

Sorcery

>1 Liliana's Indignation

Land

>12 Plains
>11 Swamps

>be me
Who else would you fucking be? Your sister?

I didn't mention the stack.

Bretty good

Also, this thread isn't just for MTG.

Anyone can talk about their first experiences of anything

>and tell her that he did a good job
oooooh you

Thank you for noticing.

Well, he is friends with a tranny. He's used to people being confused.

So I lost my virginity the day prince died. It was a happy yet sad day because I actually loved the guy, got so many of his albums.

What?, Isn't this thread to talk about your first experiences?

Ohh, the red/white starter deck. Are you aware that your rare, Flameblade Angel, has a whole lot of history behind it?

The character in the card actually has two other cards, dating back to the original Innistrad block. The cards were:

>Angel of Flight Alabaster
>Angel of Finality

That angel has got a name and background and everything, and when SoI was made they decided to bring her back too. She also appears in the Clip Wings art.

If you ask me odds are she gets yet another card in Eldritch Moon. Maybe even a Legendary, seeing how she's got an official name and all.

>Angel of Flight Alabaster
I thought she was Reaper of Flight Moonsilver. Any story articles featuring her?

Depends, I never felt the urge to buy tons of packs because I learned from pretty competitive players who always played established and/or well made decks so I was always in the habit of buying singles.

I think the author of the art did make some lore about her, nothing comes to mind immediately though. She's a very, bery odd case.

>a trans likes MtG
GEE, I WONDER WHY