Mahjong

Anyone into Mahjong? I have a ton of questions about the rules, but I also want to know what you advise for a set.

I'd like a really nice traditional set, but without it being too expensive. Is anything made of wood and bone available below 100 bucks? I'm in Europe.

How do you play yourselves?

Mahjong thread.

Pretty sure I can find a 40k themed Mahjong if that's what it takes to get a response from you guys.

Used to play a long time ago.
I personally really like the clinky clinking of the higher-quality plastic tiles.
You can most likely find good tile sets on eBay or sites like AliExpress/DealExtreme.

I can't tell you what Mahjong set to buy but I'll bump your thread. I'm just playing (very occasionally, unfortunately) with a plastic set that misprinted a north wind tile and didn't even come with scoring sticks.

Question: can you win with any random mahjong of 4 sets and a pair? Or does it have to be one of those specific combos with poetic names?

You can get okay sets for about fifty dollars on eBay with scoring sticks and all that. Search for riichi mahjong or Japanese mahjong.

I play at my country's only club,.we're about twelve regulars or so. We play mostly with Chinese sets we modified ourselves for red fives and whatnot because it is very hard and expensive to export stuff here. I also play a lot online.

Ill be around in the thread if you have any questions.

Only in Chinese mahjong you can "win" with a zero point hand. You need one of those combos in order to declare a win in Jap mahjong.

>I also play a lot online.

Any suggestions?

>Only in Chinese mahjong you can "win" with a zero point hand. You need one of those combos in order to declare a win in Jap mahjong.

Ahhh, I understand.

Another question: can you steal pieces that are discarded by other players? I read that you can do that, if you have two identical tiles, and a player discards the third. And in exchange of that, you must reveal the set you completed.

My question is, if you do this, and reveal a set, can you undo the set later or are you stuck with this?

Also, is it correct that you cannot steal a tile from another player if you do a straight with it? That you must only use a discarded card from the player before you? (Or even steal it before someone else steals it.)

This game sounds like it started easy and people just kept adding rules and complications.

There's a long haired weeb on YouTube who made a very decent video series on how to play. Once you're (very) familiar with the rules look for android apps to play offline (or Google mahjong_e.swf) and practice for a bit. Once you're comfortable go to Arcturus.su and look for the guide to play Tenhou which is the most used client. It's all in jap and very unforgiving so that's why I'm emphasizing that you research.

In jap mahjong You can claim a discarded tile as soon as its discarded if it.completes a set. If the set is a straight you may only do so from the player from your left. This is called pon and chii. Once declared they cannot be altered and your hand is considered open which carries a fair share of strategic penalties (as you can imagine there's a lot of autism involved in Japanese mahjong)

In japanese mahjong, you can call a tile for a straight (1 2 3 for example) only from the player that dealt immediately before you, and the calls take precedence:
1) ron (winning from a discard)
2) kan or pon (four or three identical tiles)
3) chi (straight)

So if you call chi for a straight and another player calls pon for a triplet, you are skipped and the player that called pon continues.

Thanks guys. I understand.

How do you score? Do you have to learn the winning hands by heart?

Example: I was trying to do the "Hand of Coral" with characters and red dragons, but I fucked up and revealed a set of straight and only realised later that the Hand of Coral requires three-of-a-kinds, not straights. I figured I was done for at this point.

Is there anything you can do?

Also, are there versions where you can reveal sets to get new tiles?

Also, is there any reason to reveal a set you made from your own hand?

>There's a long haired weeb on YouTube who made a very decent video series on how to play

Got a name for this fellow?

You gotta memorize the winning hands but there isn't an immediate need to know them by name nor how to calculate score (the computer does it for you anyhow).

If you reveal a four of a kind set (a "kan") you get to draw again. That's the closest thing.

There's no reason to reveal an already formed set in your hand and the rules don't even allow it in the first place. Once you become familiar with the rules you realize that it would be pointless.

Took me a while to remember, his username is hanayoriuta. Its something like four videos one hour each.

>If you reveal a four of a kind set (a "kan") you get to draw again. That's the closest thing.

How many tiles can I draw from this?

>There's no reason to reveal an already formed set in your hand and the rules don't even allow it in the first place. Once you become familiar with the rules you realize that it would be pointless.

I thought maybe you could draw new tiles from the revealed set.

>Took me a while to remember, his username is hanayoriuta. Its something like four videos one hour each.

Thanks!

playing it with physical tiles is much more fun, but this is decent if you just want to play against computers. good for a beginner, at least.

gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

Thanks!

Only one from a particular group of tiles previously set aside called the dead wall.

It's to compensate for the amount of tiles in your hand, which counting your open sets must be 14 always when you draw.

I've been wanting to get into mahjong for ages, but the learning curve seems too steep to get my friends involved, and there's no one that plays nearby me.

I learned to play Mahjong, and taught my wife and our two tabletop friends, using regular old western playing cards.

Here's how I did it:

-Start with 4 decks.
-Remove all the numbered Diamond cards except the Ace of Diamonds.
-Remove all the face cards except the Jack of Spades, Queen of Clubs and King of Hearts (these are arbitrary but it makes the most sense if all Face cards are identical to themselves but distinct from each other).
-I put N-S-E-W indicators in the corners of each Ace (E-Heart, S-Clubs, W-Diamonds, N-Spades).

The end result being a set of 136 cards, with four duplicates of each cards.

The Suits go from 2-10 instead of 1-9. Face Cards are used as Dragons (we called them Crowns). Aces are winds.

We play Riichi rules and it's been a ton of fun. My wife is a freaking shark at it.

In riichi you need at least one point. It could be a specific hand as you say, or it could be a set of dragons, the point for being in riichi or winning from a tsumo with a full concealed hand.

>Not putting a green stripe on the 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 of hearts and the king of hearts

But seriously though, it's better if you make Aces as 1s, discard the 10s, and just make all honors come from the "discarded" suit. You can spread them out and say that 2 is East, 4 is South, 6 is West, 8 is North, and face cards are the three dragons. It helps keep the concept of 1s as 1s and 9s as 9s which is important, and helps keep the concept that all honors are totally different and not a part of any suit.

Or you could just spend ~$10 for a set of pic related.

There's a glorious antique ivory & bone set in my family estate. My grandfather brought it home from Korea.

I've never been able to make sense of the rules.

Sounds like war loot. Keep that thing safe, ivory/bone mahjong sets are very (VERY) valuable

So whats everyone's preferred rules? I grew up on chinese rules, but a friend introduced me to Japanese rules and I like it quite a bit more. Feels a bit more tense, and skill focused (albeit not by a lot), rather than Chinese, which I always felt was a tad too reliant on luck of the draw. I'm wondering if there's any other variations that might be good.

I'm very much a fan of Jap mahjong, a friend tried to introduce me to Chinese mahjong after we had both been into riichi for a while since he grew up with it and it just didn't click with me. I haven't really tried any other type outside of those two though, so who knows, there may be one out there that I prefer more.

Try Washizu mahjong.

Malaysian three player mahjong. Faster and more aggresive game.

After looking that up, it seems cool, though I'm not sure if A: It would make things more or less reliant on luck, B: How the hell I'd get a custom set. You'd probably have to just buy a cheap set and paint the corresponding symbols on the back, and C: Where I'd get the equipment to transfusion and store blood steriley.

Someone sell this to GW:

1-9 of Marines, Orkz and Chaos Marines
Winds are the chaos gods symbols
Dragons are red Aquila, Green IG symbol and white is "Light of the god emperor" (blank like the white normally is)

Jap. It involves much more complexity and strategic theory.

There's a three player jap variation which is brutal.

Yeah I picked up a set of cards like this and have transitioned over to playing with them. The regular western cards were a great learning tool though, especially for players who are familiar with games like Canasta. One of our players described Mahjong as "Canasta on crack."

Jap 3p is incredibly amusing to play. I always play a few games of it on tenhou when I get sick of losing in 4p because it's hard to get mad when the game is so stupidly swingy.