Song of Swords: Mandatory Gun Ownership

Last time on Song of Swords:

First characters for Ballad tournament
Not!Algeria campaign in roll20 looks for new players
What is Berkukha?

Song of Swords is a realistic fantasy tabletop RPG that draws inspiration from historical fechtbuchs, weapons and armor. Its combat system is fast and it can be used for both fantasy and historical/mundane settings.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

Here's a .rar archive with the newest version of the rules as well as all related current working documents. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
mediafire.com/download/12xqm1p2q69m392/Song_of_Swords.rar

Here's a walkthrough on creating a character
paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ

Here's a walkthrough on weapon schools for SoS 1.9.9 with examples
paste2.org/6OyOsFM3

Here's Ballad of the Laser Whales' latest version: mediafire.com/download/9d7256c33g7wrgv/CoTV Ballad of the Laser Whales Alpha 1.2.pdf

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

The Legend rests in the drug coffin

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GrFDhxzNwr_Y75lOyVUELlX9lUhKjEceHsEECx94nBM/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0
paste2.org/eAk1NCPd
youtu.be/PivWY9wn5ps?t=1m17s
translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&u=https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milit%C3%A4rligan&prev=search
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Dexter
priceonomics.com/the-strange-life-of-lord-timothy-dexter/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gdoc for the tournament: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GrFDhxzNwr_Y75lOyVUELlX9lUhKjEceHsEECx94nBM/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

More participants would be welcome

I think I have a good if sightly powergamey concept, I'll work on it later tonight.

What do the second numbers on the Prosthetics mean in Ballad? For example
>Armored (5GP/1)
Does it use one Augmentation Slot? Or is it something else entirely?

I think it's Purity Loss per augmentation

>Last thread

Well, let's hope that. Otherwise I'd need to move a point from somewhere to Wealth to be able to afford what I made for the tournament

See I thought it was the number of slots the mod took up.

Yes!

It is, see Integrated Weapon.

I (the one who asked and the guy just before your post) think the same right now.
Looking at Integrated weapon its second number is listed as "Variable" and the only thing that changes is the Augmentation slots for different sized weapons.

So, fuck. The Folding shield is Expensive as fuck.
15x5+20 GP

I haven't been keeping up with this the last few months.

Has a magic system been implemented yet?

>Has a magic system been implemented yet?
There was Void Magic update for Ballad. Check new version for details.

The last thread went to bump limit and this one is dying not even 50 posts in. What the fuck?

It's dying after 10 posts which is impressive

So are we allowed to use luck for Salvation in the tournament or is it one and done?

You may use luck as it is presented in the book. The comedy one will require the adjudicator to provide cost and validity though.

Addendum. For the sake of preventing this getting rather silly, Salvation is a one-off. Death only plays his game once.

Thanks for the info, the char is coming but might not be finished tonight.

Get hype.

sad thing is I had the same idea

That's all he needs to do, really.

If you want it really badly I could try something else but I'm sure not sure there's enough PCP on offer to get enough magic bullshit.

Literally Way of Five

Nah, I'm going Void guy. My sheet's about finished regardless, go for it man.

The only thing holding me back from playing this game is that the magic system is absent, even though I fully intended to run a low magic pseudo-historical game anyway.

I mean if you are doing low magick you could just have magick be rules lite as fuck and just go to the "new age religion" section pick up a book that says grimoire. Then force them to do all the steps

cyka cyka cyka BLYAT

wat change

-Void Powers Clarified
-Augmentations Clarified
-Single-Action cut from the revolvers that shouldn't have it
-Janovich 1488
-Other shit

Oh, and the SLC-60B Bushwhacker.

Oh fun

>ingle-Action
Sweet

Machineguns with higher RoF seem to be worse than their slower analogues. They waste a lot of ammo without hitting more targets. Was it intended?

Sounds true to reality

Higher RoFs can suppress a wider area. Whether that is all that much of a benefit, its there.

Ammunition, grenades and rockets need weight stat.

Honestly high rates of fire are just plain old inconvenient most of the time.

They're good for suppressive fire, which is tied to ROF in how wide of an area you can suppress. It's good in a military context where you can mow down an entire platoon with something like an MG-42, but it isn't so useful in individual combat.

Which is sort of true to form. How many robberies have you seen performed with LMGs? Hell, in America you used to be able to mail-order them out of magazines, and still nobody ever used them for anything nefarious.

>Ballad of the Armed Robbery

What happened to Japanese campaign guy? I'm missing his stories.

I'd run it.

So, when I have the Folding Shield Augmentation for an arm prosthetic, can I still use the hand of the arm it's installed on, when the shield is deployed?
Otherwise I would consider it way to expensive.

I think it's folded into forearm so you can still hold something in the hand, use it and enjoy passive protection of small buckler. You can't actively block with it and shoot at the same time.

Alright then I can see the cost as, at least somewhat, appropriate.

Bump

Can we submit more than one character for the tournament?

Fug it Demo man was too much money and weight for me to be happy with, Bale is coming.

If it's 1v1's ala "the land of coliseums", I'd say sure but if it's a battle royale, I'd probably advise against it. How do people want it? Aside from loaded, cocked and inserted into both holes.

I kind of like the Battle Royal format for Ballad, my ideal formant would be fireteam vs fireteam but 1v1 would have been my last choice.

Evening gents, things seem sluggish and tired on the thread today, what with weird weather across the US and Jimmy's way of depressingly whispering soon in everyone's ear. So, to add a few minutes of spice to the thread, I suppose I will attempt to tell a story about a campaign I ran with a friend of mine for a group a few years back.

To start things off, let me give you the star lineup of this crew. Firstly, we had a scandanavian pagan chef who was trying to stay out of the eye of the church so he could peacefully live out his days cooking. His only weapon was a bo-staff with a hook attached for fishing, the man never once entered combat. Secondly, we had a cancerous dwarf. Whom, in a bout of insanity no doubt, decided that he was to become the greatest warrior in all the land. Also in a similar mindset, was the proud Władysław Poleski of lendia. This man was played by our normal group's gm, and really brought personality to the mix. His happy-go-lucky attitude as well as his intense devotion to church and family was something to behold. Poleski wasn't without his problems however, as the lad had fled Lendia on suspicion of murdering a noble. Of course, no party can go without a dirty zell, and ours was a midget with a wheelbow who was trying to figure out who--or what--destroyed his boat. Lastly, we had the most beautiful damn Ohanedin I've ever seen. This Fred flintstone had accidentally chopped down a sacred tree of his tribe as a kid, and was made to swear an oath to carry the stump for the rest of his life. As such, this brute was jacked far beyond jojo levels. His speech was reminiscent of that one alien brute from guardians of the galaxy.

This was the setup for a campaign a few years back, and it started in the most DnD way possible--goblin hunting

The party had formed in a small town in Galli near the northern coastal border of the Reich. Money was scarce amongst these various adventurers, so they had decided to team up to take on a local burdinadin goblin hunting contract. As they party approached the group of goblins conveniently outside during the evening hours of the day, they noticed something odd. Four goblins were gathered around a pinned fifth goblin and were hacking one of its limbs off for food. Moved by the poor little guy's cries of pain, the dwarf leyroy'd the situation and forced the entire group into combat. The zell loosed a shot and Fred Flinstone puréed a goblin with his stump. Poleski tried fruitlessly for a few rounds to bop one with his bardiche before realizing tn 8 is a sad time and drawing his saber. The dwarf rushed to the dismembered goblin's side and proceeded to give it first aid to the dismay of the party. The cook merely sat on a nearby rock and had a drink. Combat was short, but now the party was gathered around a legless goblin trying to decide what to do with it.

The only problem with a battle royal is that ambushes become near impossible. I suppose I could run each contestant on parallel with a main one for the audience.

What are you going to do with him?
Keep him?
What? He can't walk?
I'll carry him.
Fine, your damn problem.
The cook, Poleski, and the dwarf argued over the legless goblin for a few minutes. The zell went off to investigate the goblin cave while Fred attempted to feed his stump blood from a severed goblin arm. This concerned the group slightly, as he was talking to the stump and had apparently named it Arboryx. This was brushed aside when the zell mentioned there was stuff in the abandoned cave. The cook and Poleski moved to investigate while the dwarf stuffed the unconscious goblin in his emptied out backpack. The aforementioned stuff was mostly coated in shit, but some shinies were to be found. A few silver pressed into what could be assumed to be mud, a silver locket underneath a pile of tattered books, etc. With looting done, the group packed up and headed to collect their reward. A few miles into the walk, the dwarfs backpack began to squirm a little. Surprised, the dwarf set it down and opened the flap. Out poked the confused goblin's head. What surprised the group even more was that they understood it when it opened its mouth.

Where is Spoon?
Your name is Spoon?
Who are you?
I am your new friend?
Spoon has no friends.
Then you are my pet.

A casual conversation ensued about the ramifications of keeping a talking goblin in one's backpack, so it was decided to keep Spoon under wraps whenever possible.

Back at town, the tired party cashed in their reward, and then split off to rest for the night. Everyone woke and gathered around the local bounty board to find a new job, but a problem was quickly found.
What does this say?
Can't you read?
No, can you?
Of course not, who here can read?

No hands were raised.

Faced with the prospect of poor education stunting the campaign, a groggy goblin poked the top of its head out of the dwarf's bag.

Words! Spoon likes words!
Spoon, you can read?
Of course, Spoon likes to read, that's why family try to eat Spoon.
Neat, what does this say Spoon.

I was running this campaign with another friend of mine, and we had jokingly made a half campaign strength character sheet the night before. To further amuse ourselves, Spoon was literate in ten languages. Understand our further amusement when we discovered literacy was actually an issue for the party.

Anyways, trusty Spoon began to read off the job listings. The obvious plot driving job was to guard a delivery caravan sent from the burds to the Eisenspieße of the Reich, but the party decided to say fuck that and go to a celebration being held in the capital of Galli. So the party trudged off to go have themselves a good old time.

I think I'll stop there for the night, but I'll continue this story if people actually liked it.

>I am your new friend?
>Spoon has no friends.
>Then you are my pet.
That's like maximum PC logic right there.

Please do

A challenger approaches! Made an edgelord for the tourney, should be a good time.

paste2.org/eAk1NCPd

>and was made to swear an oath to carry the stump for the rest of his life
I'm dieing over here.

Go ahead and continue. Your game group is a bit silly for my tastes, but you sound like you had fun and your story is pretty funny. You don't see much lighthearted SoS.

How do underslung weapons work in CotV? Are they even a thing?

Slow down there partner, we're still at WW2-Korea, tech-wise. No underslungs yet. Although you could pretty easily do them in the same way you do Hand-Off in SoS, just a statblock you can switch to.

Well there is that !Algerian campaign, which might be a little more forward in the tech spectrum.

Shame, would have gone great with what I was planning.

Admittedly, I am jumping forward, but late 1950s/early 60s tech ain't much a jump, to be honest. I *am* taking quite a bit of liberty assuming that Arlonite weapon industries are still a thing, if not in Arlon at least taken over by Deventer.

Behold Genosus has been sighted on Crusade

>tfw no fecht in forever

youtu.be/PivWY9wn5ps?t=1m17s

It could be worse. There could be a Patreon, and instead of providing Fechts, Jimmu could be doing Wrestling reviews.

Oh shit. That other user rolled for Cybernetic rejection. Well guess I'll do the same then. What's my pool for rolling that? Just the Purity level before installing the prosthetic?

Damn, with my bad luck my character dies of septic infection before the tournament then or something.

So if I'm blasting away with my twin pistols on regular fire and let's say that two shots from my left and one shot from my right lands on some poor devil's abdomen.

Will those all those shots do half-damage additions or will righty and lefty resolve separately?

Don't roll and just buy implants. We assume you dealt with consequences of augmetation off-screen.

They will deal 1 full damage plus 2 instances of half-damage as long as they hit same area in the same phase

The best part was, because he decided to be close to two hundred years old, he was partially insane and considered the stump to be a living friend. He fed it, bathed it, killed with it. Arboryx was his only true friend, perhaps even his soulmate, and they were literally jnseperable.

What is best in life? 1851 Colt Navy Revolver, Colt Woodsman 3rd Series Match Target or a modified Arisaka Type 99 Rifle?

For what? If I'm going to fight someone in Manchuria I'll take the Arisaka, if I'm going to fight someone in the streets of Deadwood or in an enclosed space I'll take the Colt Navy.

I don't even know what that middle one is, but I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that something with "Match Target" in its name is probably good for target shooting and nothing else.

>Colt Woodsman
>.22
No thanks.

Question for Jimmo, or whoever else might know it:
So SoS will be released in two books, right? Once focusing on mechanics, the other on setting.
Is there any plan to fully release Ballad as well? And if so, will it be another setting book? Do the setting books contain all the equipment for the related setting, or will the SoS core book contain Tattered realms weapons and the second book will really be only fluff?

I'm betting it'll be a self-contained source book. Possibly a standalone game using the same engine, like it is now.

Bamperu~

Gotta post something fechty, friend.

Another 100% accurate image of the intended world of Ballad of the Laser Whales.

hello i've been away for a while anything new lads

nope, you're still a fag

HAH!

>How many robberies have you seen performed with LMGs?

One:

"Ullared, 23 December 1993: the League's driver covering the street with a KSP 58 through a hole in the roof of the stolen van."

Bump

What's the context for this? All google gives me (in English) is that Ullared is in Sweden.

translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&u=https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milit%C3%A4rligan&prev=search

Interesting, thank you.

Yeah, its pretty crazy.

A whole new game.

Two of them.

Only one so far. Jimmy said he's making a third, but he also said the Kickstarter would happen in 2014

Bonnie and Clyde were famous for using BAR's.

Well, I found my next campaign's NPC benefactor.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Dexter
priceonomics.com/the-strange-life-of-lord-timothy-dexter/

From the current 1.3.1

>Level 3: The World is Mine [15]
Activate at the very start of a Round. There is now a 0th Phase which you may act in
before any other Phases begin. You also gain +4 to your Base Defense.

>Level 2: Immaterial [10]
Activate at the start of a Round. You gain +4 to your Base Defense for the entire Round.

So, RAW, World is Mine gives a +4 to your Base Defence forever, every single time you use it. And it's 0th Phase also never stops existing. Neat.

There's also not any specification of when you get the points for powers back, Way of Five you get foucus back at the start of the round but void powers have no such line.

Hello long time tRoS player who happened to recently discover this system and wants to know what changes are there to the combat specifically and where can I find rules on magic?

Haha! Funny story we don't have SoS magic yet.

We have an idea of what it might look like but no actual rules except the magic for Ballad.

I would assume it's very quickly. Zells need to use Spiderwalk to not fly into the sky when they visit the surface of an island, and since the most powerful level of the spell only lasts for a maximum of three rounds it must happen sometime inside this period. However, if so it would mean every single Zell you meet on the top of an island must at least be capable of casting Void Magic on the scale of [World is Mine] or [Dust to Dust]

Jimmy added Yellow die to the initiative declaration. It works as the opposite of opponent's die, defensive against Red or aggresive against White. Weapon TNs, damage and AV were raised. Proficiencies grant Talents at certain levels. New maneuvers like Quick Defense. New stat Grit that reduces Pain from wounds and psychic trauma.