/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

End of weekend Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
No waifus except Therana please.
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Other urls found in this thread:

imperial-library.info/content/forum-archives-michael-kirkbride
youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A big moustache would actually fit him

We're gonna carry this thread on into the weekdays, my n'wahs

Maybe if we're quick, we can get a whole 'nother thread in.

So how exactly did Tosh Raka turn into a dragon? Moreover, what do you think would happen if the Ka-Po-Tun invaded Tamriel?

We had a 'Not Weekend' edition last week, we could do that again.

It's already Monday somewhere

Who is the All-Maker? He doesn't show himself like daedric princes but his influence is more direct than that of the divines.

Was I supposed to read that in his voice?

Anui-El
Just a more Nordic interpretation of it.

Dracochrysalis. But dragons are just big cats in the first place.

The process by which that happens is normally called drachochrysalis, but I don't know if that's what he did.

Tusk of the bat tiger.

Mantling
>Don't forget that gods can be shaped by the mythopoeic forces of the mantlers-- so Tosh Raka could be an Akaviri avatar of Akatosh with a grudge against his mirror-brother in Cyrodiil
imperial-library.info/content/forum-archives-michael-kirkbride

It is a could, though.

Remember the time he was Vivec's kid?

This means argonians can evolve into anything. Yes, even pterosaurs.

There's a 24/7 general on Veeky Forums. It exists as a warning to the rest of us. Weekends only is fine.

To be fair, Redguards do have very African American names.

Hell, they're so black, their religion is about how much they hate Tall Papa after he made them, went out for a pack of cigarettes, and never came back.

>Akorithi, Aubk-i, Charvek-si, Dh'emka, Whitka
>Camaron, Greklith, K'avar, Lhotun, Provlith, Thaik, Vhosek
>Avik, Coyle, Cyrus, Jaganvir, Kotaro, Lakene, Trithik
>"very African American"

What's gooood muh Naviks.

>Wayn, Kaye, Todwendy, Dinok, Dudley, Hickim, Jon Hawker, Katie, Lesley, Sason, Shardie.

Look, I can cherry-pick too.

>their religion is about how much they hate Tall Papa after he made them
I think you might want to take another whack at that one, user.

I think that has mostly to do with the fact that all generals on Veeky Forums are cancer.

>cherry-pick
Lel. I posted all the Redguard names from Daggerfall and Redguard, since they're the shortest lists.

Stop the memery, I can't take it anymore.

I hope Bethesda stays out of Black Marsh like residents of Tamriel and leaves it a wild gap for our imaginations to fill.

Why do all of the depictions of Lorkhan make him seem sinster? Is it his connection with Padomay, or that he is a trickster?

Actual images or descriptions? The latter is because that's how he's viewed by mortals. Not all mortals, look at Shor.

:^)

I meant images. As far as I know we dont have dev input on what Lorkhan actually looks like but the images I've seen of him are all black and red.

Yeah, I don't know.

To be honest actual images of any TES gods aren't very pretty.

Well black and red, along with white, are very basic color distinctions for simple cultures. Usually it's light vs dark, but light and dark aren't colors themselves so we take them to more binary extremes.
It's actually super annoying when "ancient civilizations" have gods that are a rainbow of color, as if these people with basic understanding would know the difference between blue and green.

>black and red
Volcano-core.

Oh, that makes sense, I guess.

Makes sense.

Auriel is usually depicted as being light, so Lorkhan must be the opposite.

Do you think we'll get more bosmer doing actual things in the games?
Not greenpact-tier lore stories, but like a bosmer that isn't just another thief in the thieves guild.

Issue 1: Bosmer, never mind their lore, have been pretty much invariably depicted in-game as creepy neckbeards who don't really do much of anything. A few shopkeepers, a bunch of "commoners" wandering the streets complaining about how fucked up their lives are, and honestly, *all* the joke characters. Fargoth, Gaenor, Glarthir, the Adoring Fan, etc.

Issue 2: nobody in any Elder Scrolls game does *anything*, except the main character. Everybody else just stays on their block giving out fetch quests and spamming random conversation.

There's Bosmer who do "actual things" in the lore.

Bumptam Guar

Read the book Sithis. Lorkhan's supposed to be a kind of unholy thing.

What was your favorite town in each of the games?

Didn't care in arena
Sentinal
Balmora
Anvil
Solitude

Corinthe
Daggerfall
Balmora
Skingrad
Markarth

Hard to say. I think Camlorn sounds cool from the books, though.

Daggerfall.

Caldera, Balmora, or Sadrith Mora. Caldera is comfy and a great place to teleport from, Balmora has the best shops, and Sadrith Mora is the cool and weird Telvanni mushroom wizard town.

Skingrad.

Very hard. Whiterun, probably. I really like Riften, I just wish I could purge the Thieves guild and settle down there. Solitude and Markarth are both excellent, though.

meant for

Vivec - all the layers were awesome and took so many playthroughs to fully explore.

Cheydinhal - Just seemed cozy as fuck

Markarth - Because cool design and all the other cities sucked

Haven't played the fist two of the main series, let alone the other games.
Vivec, even though it's the main town of morrowind, is a great place simply because it's vertical. There's not enough up and down areas on the games, and it sucks.
I want to like the imperial city, but it somehow has no sense of an upper level except for the main tower, which you only go into during the guild quest. Didn't really like many of the cities enough to call them home, but Anvil was pretty cool.
I preferred Winterhold, simply for the college and the sea destroying part of it.

This is patrician taste right here, though I like Dawnstar the best in Skyrim.

>skyrim
The marshy city was cool.

Never played Arena
Don't have a specific one in Daggerfall, but I actually found the small towns pretty cozy.
Suran
Leyawiin
Falkreath

Vos
Skingrad
Morthal

Is there autism in TES? Can Sheogorath curse somebody with autism?

Probably.

Ald Redaynia
Sutch
Blackmoor

Autism seems a pretty weak curse for a daedric prince

Dagon Fel: like living in a Dwemer ruin without the annoying bots.

Bravil: beacause just stacking shipping crates one atop the other actually kinda works.

Falkreath: one of the few non-respawning dungeons in the game is just outside. Clear it out and set it up as a castle/manor house; cheaper than buying a place in town.

It would be horrendous for a normal person to be made autistic

It's a whole, fundamentally different way to experience life, and see the world, and autists deep into the spectrum need therapy and a lot of trial-and-error life experience in order to be able to function properly. A social demon could turn into a withdrawn, inept loner with stilted speech. Anyone in a position involving leadership would find it very hard if not impossible to do his duties. All the social knowledge people build up during their lives would stop being intuitive and start being something that has to be consciously used constantly. To top this off, you'd gain a lot of assorted "weird guy" traits - odd body language, inability to show your emotions properly or read those of others, a urge to self-stimulate etc.

Imagine taking a normal person and transforming him into one of the most crippled specimens of /r9k/. It'd be absolutely crushing

Oh, and about the "social demon" bit, it'd be probably even worse for him to NOT become withdrawn. He'd still try to be the heart of the party, pick up girls and all that normie jazz, but with absolutely no charm or self awareness and either no or TOO MUCH self confidence

>Akatosh chooses a Dragonborn

>Sheogorath makes him autistic

Every. Time.

Can we all agree that c0da was all kinds of shitty?

?
Those don't sound very black.

Didn't the Mayans have rainbow gods?

Can someone who believes really hard about something in the lore actually be completely wrong about it?

Mayans are also pretty recent, the main parts in AD years.

Of course.Lore isn't fact, there isn't hard science to prove it.
It's a lot of extrapolation and metaphors, neither of which can always be interpreted a "correct" way.

If I say skyrim grass is green, or I say skyrim grass is lush with the vibrancy of life, those are not the same thing. "life" includes flower colors like white and purple, with brown patches because death is how life cycles. It can also include animals and bugs.

This. Bosmer are for comedic relief and comedic relief only.

Mournhold
New Sheoth
Raven Rock

MAYANS ARENT CANON DELETE THIS

That's kinda sad though, especially when we have people like Oreyn and Haymon and whatnot in the lore.

Well, in that case, could autism exist in TES? If everything is a dream, and some people would experience the dream differently than others...sure, they might just get whisked away to the Shivering Isles, but still.

More like Anutism.

It's a shame many of the major 'cities' of Skyrim are so lackluster.

Seriously? Morthal? You might be able to give it points for the interesting use of walkways, but it really had nothing at all to it. It was an overglorified village with boring NPCs outside of the new magic man in town.

The Jarl was one of the best. She is the closest we have to a clever woman

I feel that's up to interpretation, especially when there are ladies like the one who takes over in Dawnstar for the Imperials. Even Saadia is pretty convincing with her lies, and Elisef might be a naive figurehead, but she still does right by her late husband and manages to work through diplomatic affairs well enough.

I meany in the shaman sense
She has visions, magic and old traditional nord wisdom
Shame no one in the city likes her. Who replaces her again? The builder woman? Do the city people like her more since her name is literally "builder" wich seems like a name for someone who places importance on improving the town

I don't know why she's the replacement, I just think it's sad they couldn't even find anyone in town they'd want to replace her with - especially when the place is characterized as being leery of strangers.

I admit my choice, Falkreath, probably has the worst Imperial Jarl of the lot. But at least its his advisors that make all the decisions anyway - the Stormcloak Jarl will replace them with a housemaid due to his paranoia.

Nah, Maven is the worst imperial jarl
Falkreath is actually pretty balanced. While the stormcloak jarl(Dengveir or something?) is paranoid, he still wont order excecutions or cell time just on paranoia alone and he respects all people while still staying loyal to Ulfric

Well since the skyrim discussion apparently scared away everyone lets try something else

Tell me your favourite fact about military, weapons or fighting in TES universe

do we not have any drawfags on this general? I dont think I've ever seen original content here[/Spoiler]

well i lurk around and occassionally participate in lore discussions. but i did put out some oc a last year

yeah but not all the time. hey, need to spend time with a little variety or else i can't draw like Adam

Nice, im pretty sure Im following you on tumblr
Didn'r realise you drew some TES related stuff too

I draw, but I'm shit

Well you're doing better than me, keep it up

Worked hard on this one for tesg
Faces suck though, and all tesg posts is barbiedoll pinups with, of course, a face

Thats nice
What kind of armor is it? The wings in the helmet remind of elven but the belt reminds of steelplate
Or wait, didn't steelplate have wings on helmet too?

Yeah, steelplate it looks like.
He had a stuffed bear on his belt too, the thing in the lower right, that was fun orienting without proper shading.

used to do a few but drawing people and armor can be a bitch. think i shoukd draw more though, i loved the concept armors from Morrowind and Skyrim

Is he supposed to look like a midget
Looks swole as fuck though

Daaaamn, thats really nice ceramic armor!
I agree, you should draw more

You sometimes see a few.

Personally, I wish there were more drawfags lurking about everywhere. A random sketch of something funny within the thread can really make a thread feel amazing, and it feels like that rarely, if ever, happens anymore.

I could whip up something shitty if you have a topic
Or we could lament more over the lack of siltstrider drifting
Actually...

:D

youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA

Rihad
Daggerfall
Balmora
Anvil
Solitude

Not my favourite fact, but I might bring up something I've rarely seen mentioned.
Bosmeri armies are traditionally made up of mercenaries.

:D :D

NO ONE SLEEPS IN BALMORA
ALL RIGHT CROSSING ODAI