The nation has recently passed a law banning adventurers, adventuring parties or adventuring guilds from developing

>The nation has recently passed a law banning adventurers, adventuring parties or adventuring guilds from developing.
>Stating that adventurers do more harm then good for the nation by essentially being superhuman bandits who loot, murder and magic their way through the countryside.

Whose going to stop them?

And how?

Other bands of adventurers, of course.

This sets off an adventurer arms race, of sorts, with the government-sanctioned murderhobo hunters constantly searching for adventurers to fuck up, and with the adventurers correspondingly searching for ever more elaborate means of acquiring gold and disregarding the constabulary.

Eventually the sanctioned hunters take complete control of the government and devote all available resources to stamping out the adventurer menace once and for all, transforming their kingdom into a despotic hellscape. This, ironically, attracts more adventurers.

A dick ass wizard twirls his beard in his tower and laughs at another job well done.

Well if they're newly forming adventuring parties then the town guards should be able to take them out. Dealing with pre-existing ones will be a bit out of their league though.

We establish guild in another country and outsource the work here.
While we're at it we also get better tax rates.

Okay. We have enough money to just chill and wait awhile, plus useful skills to make more, until the next dragon attack or goblin invasion or whatever and then we refuse to help until the nation lifts the ban on adventuring.

We'll just call ourselves 'bounty hunters' and carry on like normal.

Just like in real life, adventurers ignore the law and use legal loop holes to get away with it.

Also, no one is going to arrest the band of players when they save the day. Well, not in any game that would continue afterwards outside of some scifi game.

Doesnt make it a good plot point in a scifi game, as it is shit when video games do it and worse when books do it.

Right because it's not like the authorities are either incompetent, corrupt, or both.

Enforcing Good and Neutral only adventurerers would be fine though.

>Stating that adventurers do more harm then good for the nation by essentially being superhuman bandits who loot, murder and magic their way through the countryside.
>Let's outlaw the bandits instead of using structures like guilds to control them.
Great idea.

For the adventurer's PoV, guards are no fair game, and they give a lot of xp.

On a sidenote, this reminds me of an old thread where people imagined adventurers to be made by dragons to bring them riches (by dying before them). It explained the whoel orphan murderhobo without a past shtick pretty well.

It should be on sup/tg/, but it seems to elude me for now.

>good adventurers shrug and move on
>talented people who could become adventurers move away with their money and genes
>town guard and army casualty rates soar from having to deal with all the bullshit you would usually send adventurers to do, causing desertions
>when the guard stops being able to handle it, angry citizens either start leaving or revolt
>neighboring nations, evil adventurers, dragons, orc hordes, liches and so on see a juicy, vulnerable target

Best case, the nation is conquered by a neighbor. Worst case, it becomes the bastard offspring of Mordor and Detroit within a decade.

I'll use my hard-earned gold and finance goblins and other monsters.

Then they'll have no choice but to accept adventurers again!

maybe the government wouldn't be so hard on you if you payed your fucking taxes and signed up for selective service

Well if it's illegal for us to form an adventuring guild we form a mercenary clan and send out crack teams of 4-8 men to complete contracts.

Cool, I'm going to become an outlaw since I can airjuggle towns full of guards.

Maybe you should send some adventurers to stop me, huh?

>get a job as a guard, enforcing the law
>big bad thing happens
>they hire their own adventurers to take care of the problem
>throw them into prison for breaking the law
>keep doing this until they finally repeal it
>quit my job and start adventuring again

Looks like its rebellion campaign time

You mean its law enforcement campaign time.

Imagine a campaign where you play a party of adventurers offered amnesty by the government in exchange for becoming apart of a special task force for hunting down rogue adventurers. I'd play that.

Tony, don't you have some drinking to do?

I'm laughing at the idea of people from other countries getting their caravan inspected for Adventuring contraband and being justly arrested.

thats literally the plot of this movie

>medieval kingdom
>any rule of law what-so-ever

I sure hope that works out for you Byzantines.

The law is going to need some big guns.

Yep.

What if I'm Iron or Dark Age? Muh Roman, common and Sharia laws motherfucker.

This thing?

Purrfect.
Many thanks user

Doesn't work at all considering the law begins and ends with the amount of swords you can assemble swiftly.

Rule of law requires a powerful, centralized state like the true Roman Empire or Late Medieval/Early Modern European nations.

Personally I see ZERO benefit to having "Adventurers" be a thing in a setting. Some leveled people are guards/soldiers, some are criminals, some are mercenaries, some are normies, etc., but there's no need for any group other than the PCs to be such.

Even in settings where adventurers ARE a cultural phenomenon, I see zero reason to think they'd be more powerful than NPCs. ALL editions of D&D have plentiful, leveled NPCs.

that being said its potentially reasonable, though I disagree that most PCs are more harm than help.

Or we could, you know, just destroy whichever ruler came up with the idea and loot his holdings of the choicest treasure. The resulting power vacuum will then create a nice civil war, reducing the threat of retaliation because of the new infighting.

didn't most ye olde cities have laws against letting armed bandits into them

even if you make the argument that PCs can get super strong, there's nothing really stopping a city from having a knightly order acting as some kind of fantasyland SWAT.

Not really my choice for a dungeon crawling game, but if the group is up for a more laid back adventure it could be pretty fun doing things that aren't just killing monsters and looting corpses.

>Trying to control an economic class whose chief commodity is violence
>with LAWS

kek, enjoy your coup.

The idea of going after all adventurers with sanctioned adventurer-hunting-adventurers is silly.

If you have a bad adventurer doing bad things in your land, you send a good adventurer to stop them. A law like that just needlessly expands the definition of "bad adventurer" to include ones that used to be helpful, narrows the pool of "good adventurers", and then has them fighting each other instead of doing something actually helpful, like clearing out the monsters that are eating farmers.

>law banning adventurers, adventuring parties or adventuring guilds
What? Do you seriously have people calling themselves adventurers in your setting? I mean, short of the Marco Polo-kind of people, adventurer should be an euphemism used by brigands (state/church sanctioned or otherwise) better said with a shit-eater grin on your face.

"This necrophiliac mesmerist tentacle slime infestation is clearly going out of control! Chancellor, advice me!"
"Your grace, your extraordinary clairvoyance and wisdom reveals us yet another gem of truth! This simply cannot be tolerated any more! As our current peacekeeping dialogs keep our most excellent Cleansing Fire of Hatred Guard busy with the despicable and untrustworthy Hobbits on the Farther Glade, maybe your excellence will agree with hiring some... *adventurers* to deal with the current nuisance?"
"You mean the ransackers and demente-"
"Your *Grace*, may your infinite generosity forgive the impudence of my interruption, but yes, I mean *Adventurers*. I wouldn't *dare* suggest that you should start patronizing people with... undesirable... tempers. Alas! Adventurers are none such thing! They are exemplars of duty and honor, loner wanderers, filled with dignity and love for their liege and patron that inspires nobles and villagers alike."
"... I see your point, Chancellor. Very well, make a call for such *adventurers*, so this business ends quickly."
"Your will shall be carried out at once, your grace."

>"you are not allowed to carry a weapon or travel without being a merchant"
>"merchants are not allowed to have guards, they must travel the roads by themselves"
>"you're a knight sent on a legitimate quest from another kingdom to do X? fuck you get out NO ADVENTURERS REEEEE"
>"only the town guard is allowed to fight the bandits and monsters period, we'll arrest you if you try to help"
>people who wander around with magic nukes slaughtering kaiju are extremely common sights in the setting
If you actually call your party "adventurers" in character you should pack up your fucking gm notes and let someone else take the reigns. It's the absolute muddiest, gamiest, I-don't-give-a-shittiest fucking thing you can have the npcs call them.
Travelers, vagabonds, warriors, mercenaries, literally anything else would be fine except adventurer. It basically means murderhobo. You wouldn't call your players murderhobos in character, would you?

"Who, the four of us? We're not adventurers! We're freelance problem solvers specializing in serial peacemaking.