Say, how strong would a 10km tall giant be as a final boss...

Say, how strong would a 10km tall giant be as a final boss, assuming magic prevents the square-cube law from kicking in and that he can move as fast as a normal human would proportionally?

Depends. Does he have a weak spot?

Perhaps his face is covered in a mask that, if pulled off, would spell extreme pain for the giant and possibly death?

Har har har

Hold on OP I can answer that

As long as we are ignoring the physics that says something can't be that big it would be really fucking strong. Assuming scaled up human proportions it would have roughly 166 billion times the muscle mass of an average human.

Well the tl;dr answer is that it would be essentially impossible for the PCs to fight. If the PCs stood a chance it would just be Home Alone with modern military weapons. It would not be feasible, or remotely logical, to try to melee it with thumb tack sized weapons.

So strong you either need to be playing a spectacle creep game like exalted, it will be unsatisfying because you have to pull a deathwing/dragon god, or you need to rethink it.

He'd be striking with the force of small thermonuclear warheads, I'm pretty sure.

Proportionately scaled means that if I can throw a 90 mph punch he would be throwing a punch at over 466,000 mph.

That's with 1-1 scaling and not actually accurate scaling, though. So take that as you will.

Wouldn't it sink into the ground under its own weight?

>10km

Son, that's beyond "Giant."

He's the biggest guy in the Prime Material Plane.

>466,000 mph

Pumching at three times the speed of Halley's Comet with god knows how much mass behind it.

No biggie.

>Say, how strong would a 10km tall giant be as a final boss, assuming magic prevents the square-cube law from kicking in and that he can move as fast as a normal human would proportionally?
I don't think proportionally is what you're looking for

10,000 meter tall giant
For simplicity, a tall human is about 2 meters
Proportionally then our giant is 5,000 times taller

The average human can easily manage a 10-minute-mile, which would be a jogging speed of 6 mph or about 10 kph
Multiplied by 5,000 that would be a giant going 50,000 kph

For reference, Mach 1 is 1234 kph

>really, really big dude
What else do you call it aside from giant?

OK OP, I think you want to scale down to 100 feet or so

Titan, Demigod, Colossus, it could have no species name, just a personal one, being a unique being.

I don't know what kind of PCs you have but I would point out that 10km =/= 1km. A 1km giant is a little bit bigger than the one in your pic. I have sent my PCs up against a 1km long serpent once, on the basis that they were literally the children of the gods that created all reality and this is the sort of shit that a squadron of Hercules' would do.

A 10km giant would have to crouch in order to pass under the reach of 'high' cloud cover such as rainbearing clouds, and in 'low' cloud cover conditions noone would even realise it was a giant, two pillars would periodically spear down from the sky to crush vast swathes of land.

It would be utterly unassailable by anything short of tricking it into a Locate City Nuke.

There's a monster in the Epic Level Handbook somewhat similar to that.

It's basically a walking godling-glacier with white dragons nesting on it. CR 30-something. If you want this colossus to function as a monster either you or your PC's are SOL.

If you want PC's to stand a chance you'd better just make the giant a massive, moving dungeon for all intents and purposes. PC's sneak up and into it and have to make their way to the center to stab the magic death maguffin.

This creature is nothing less than the end of life as we know it, it's a little beyond a really really big dude.

Sneak attack banepost

>taller than mount everest.
Time to go shadow of the colossus on his ass.

>It would be utterly unassailable by anything short of tricking it into a Locate City Nuke.
No one ever satisfactorily explained to me why that spell should actually work

Yeah if the thing stomped full force it may have enough power behind it to destroy a continent.

I feel like a 10 kilometer tall giant would be more interesting as a benevolent god who can't interact with the world without destroying stuff.

If you did it'd be a hell of a climb.

This, 10km is really big, mount Everest has a height of ''only'' 9 km

10 km tall giant is doable, but having it move proportionally fast puts it firmly into silly territory.

Say it takes two steps to cover ones height when walking, and you walk at one step per second. Our giant walks at 5kps, breaking the sound barrier. By walking.

You exploit the fact that you can add damage types to non damaging spells when using this one feat to add a damage effect that depends on the spells area and then use a spell with a stupid large area.

I'd suggest going with a different approach.

Have the PCs catch a ride on a dragon / huge bird to get on his shoulders.

Have them infiltrate his body, it's basically a huge, horrible dungeon.

They get to his heart, destroy it. (perhaps he has more than one heart). Then have to escape or get crushed as he falls down.

unleashing a death spell inside of his heart big enough to kill an entire country might stop his heart, send a lich in there who doesnt have to breath and with high enough armor and wards to not get ripped to pieces by the giants blood pressure and you might have a chance.

>They get to his heart, destroy it.

His heart alone would probably be a kilometer tall, and beat hard enough to actually kill someone with an impact, and the space it could move with each beat means that if they get in melee range they will be struck by a heart.

Ain't that some shit?

Nono, mechanically yes, but I meant "why should any GM accept that"

Its in the rules, why play the game if the rules dont matter

>A wizard is perfecting a spell capable of destroying an entire city

Sounds like a plot hook to me

you're gonna have to find it but someone asked damn near the same question a few months back and between 3 threads here and on on Veeky Forums we figured out that any movement at all of a being that big would sink it down to bedrock and cracking that bedrock severely. depending on where, lets say japan, that may be enough to punch it through the mantle.
If it attempted a jump that was similarly it would be like a small meteor hit the area at speed, anything within around a 1 mile area would be vaporized, including a flesh giant, and beyond that the concussive force would flatten things for another mile or so. The seismic activity alone would decimate the continent.
Assuming you did something stupid like hamstring it? The snap of that muscle would be so loud everyone would be dead for around 500meters and 1km out would be hearing damage. The fall to the knee would almost certain cause local but devastating tremors. the amount of blood it would leave behind would fill a small lake and would poison the area in general due to salt and iron being to prevalent in the soil for anything to grow. The amount of CO2 given off by its corpse would raise the global temp permanently by around 1 degree which means killing 10+ of these guys if not less could cause catastrophic run away global warming.
Assuming you somehow broke its bone the crack could be heard for a few miles around and just stack an extra 200-400 meters distance to the hamstring bit depending on bone size.
There was more, a lot more, but i can't recall and i have to go to work.
Oh, and sex between 2 would devastate continents as the vibrations pass through the mantle like a shitty mattress and would cause magnitude 7+ earthquakes(the closer to the mantles resonant frequency between movements the worst it would be) pretty much everywhere and for some time after the deed is done due to aftershocks.

I know it sounds crazy but when you start doing the math anything beyond 500m doing shit is extraordinarily bad for everything let alone 10km.

I know for a fact at least the Veeky Forums threads are archived and it ended up being a huge Veeky Forums thread so i'd imagine theres one on whatever archive they use.

How bad stuff is at 500 meters of it's still acceptable?

Oh. And the instant they hit full stride, literally every step after first step for humans, they'd hit Mach 22 and the build up alone of the initial stride would probably kill everything in the surrounding area, literally liquifying their innards and possible their outtards, with concussive force.

That will make for an ever better challenge, especially if the players didn't prepare for it.
Worst case scenario, they have to get out of there and fetch a balista.

Thats a lot of math but from what i remember assuming it jumped straight up and landed the local area within around 10km would feel a 5-7, depending on proximity, earthquake. Being within 200m of the epicenter would probably make you go deaf and have a good chance at some internal damage. 100m inward is death.
It wouldn't sink through the top layer to the mantle every step but a jump might do it. Stride would still be just above the speed of sound and its punches would still be mach 32 give or take.

The concussive blast of the heart alone would kill them if they were inside the chest cavity. If it laid down and you were within 1km you'd probably feel its vibrations like a train on the tracks a block away.

I don't wanna be the guy who bring his favourite shows into everything but Berserk had an interesting fight with a giant enemy, even when you get inside it there are multiple "parasites" inside it in sort of symbiosis wit the giant, protecting it from internal invasions. And the heart had a beat so strong it dealt damage and ruptured eardrums if you got within attacking range. And like has already been said, a 10km giant would have almost continent shattering power, so fighting it with normal combat rules wouldn't really work.

By the way. The punches on the smaller one would still vaporize the air and create a plasma discharge. Can't tell you how much or how bad it depends on altitude, fist dimensions, and aerodynamics but the 10km one would hit mach 651-2 and the discharge would probably pop a hole in the atmosphere and be similar to several nukes if the hit made contact.

Now, what if the thing could move at the speed of sound?

It can move a lot faster than that.

Well, if you were to calculate of power of punches of the 500 meter one, how strong would these be then?

The sea beast in berserk, IMMENSE as it was, was still only like, 3km across tops.

I think the person meant limiting the speed to speed of sound.

Interesting thing:

This guy? In anime he was 270 meters tall

top kek

his heart alone would cause the earth to tremor when he saw a particularly nice rump-shaped mountain.

OPs concept is ridiculously unfeasible

That guy is half the length of Manhattan, give or take a couple hundred feet.

>giant would weigh 8 billion tons.
He's a big guy.

Impossible to accurately gauge accurately but somewhere close to a very large bomb. It'd probably take out manhattan and the concussive way would kill more outside the island.

>how strong would a guy be, who could lift a Tarrasque up and boop his nose like a goddamned rabbit

I dunno, OP.

Maybe removing said mask would only upset the giant and result in extreme pain for the party instead.

... For you.

Regardless, I think we can all agree on the fact that the giant is indeed a big guy.

Will the thing lay waste to galaxies?

for you maybe

The largest animal to ever live is the blue whale at a peak of 110ft long.
Phalanx, the largest Colossus is 557ft long. Dalamadur, the largest MH monster is 40km long and coils around a whole mountain. Raviente, the second largest is 25km long and exists across an island's ecosystems.
All three fictional animals are kinds of wurm.

You didn't think this through or have no sense of scale.

Doesn't matter, grow one of your party members or make a huge construct, mechagodzilla that shit.

Sometimes, you have to go where no one has been before.

Could you set him on fire?

how long would it take a being of this size to completely wipe out all life on a planet? considering his footsteps are similar to small nukes

Big guy.

All he has to do is punch down really hard and it would be an extintion event.

All he has to do is sit down abruptly.

>to ever live
um..

Punch has the absurd magic mechanical strength behind it.

Gravity is still 9 meters per second squared here on earth, and while it would be a big hit, the other would be much, much bigger.

Fun fact: Trying to sit dow through gravity alone would take him about 30 seconds of falling down.

He's right, though. In the water you get all the support you need, so you can grow super huge. Plus there's something about being large and its effect on efficiency in motion through water but I can't recall it now.

Dinosaurs are cool, but they ain't no whale

The bigger you get the less surface tension between water molecules becomes an issue therefore less drag and more efficient movement.

He would be as strong as a volcanic eruption, and as fast as the following tsunami.

This is clearly a job for the retarded Electric Superman!

Just for reference as well, the Burj Kahlifa is about 830 metres to the very top of it's radio towers. So your giant would be over ten times as tall as pic related.
Meaning that tower would barely even reach over his ankle.

Fucking actual Christ that is big dude, maybe scale it back?

Just a normal footstep from something that big would fracture continents. If he were to stomp the entire world would feel it.

so are you saying...

it would be extremely painful?

Biggest doesn't mean strongest!

You've set no parameters for his physical limits other than "he's not limited by this", so within the confines of your limitations there's basically no limit whatsoever to how strong he can be.

>grows huge as fuck
>hit him
>it took so much out of him to get that big that he just keels over

I think we've reached Titan levels, and not fuckin animoo titans either. I mean straight up before the sexual deviants the Greeks called gods Titans. You know, the guys who created creation and made the gods. Them. Fuckin huge. One might even say XBOX HUEG.

for you

Do you even know what a dungeon master is?
DM > an unintended exploit in the rules

The rules are for facilitating the game, not the other way around.

At speeds of that magnitude, I'm pretty sure the ground would not be able to give meaningful footing for him to move at anything but the slowest of a crawl.

From his perspective it would be like walking on really slippery sand on a low gravity moon.

for you maybe...

I wish baneposting was bannable.

This only works if you are fighting outside of Earth, and at that point I hope your melee weapons can project force or at least cut so hard they shatter planets.

You are basically fighting Super Galactus

The question is, are they naked?

A Titan mushroom stamping the earth? Make it happen.

>turns out the giant is friendly, or at least thinks it is
>unfortunately it can't appreciate how much damage it's causing down at your scale
>to save the world, you must find a way to communicate and ask it nicely to stop destroying everything

That's pretty much my campaigns endgame, a horrible asshole wizard is attempting to wake up a 7km comatose crab, in the belief that if it isn't woken and starved to death now, it will keep growing until it ruins the whole world.

The very first rule of dnd is rule 0, which basically states the DM has the final say.

Aim for weak point to deal massive damage.

Tame it, then build a city on its shell.

Which he plans on crashing with no survivors.

There is a city on its shell, they just don't know. Also, I was simplifying it by calling it a crab, it's actually part of a race of crabfolk. And it's hard to tame something when you literally are smaller than a fruit fly to it.

Write in REALLY BIG letters, or find a wizard to just project the message as an image in the sky. Or contact her telepathically.

What if they crawled up its anus?

They wouldn't matter. It'd be like asking what if some bacteria crawled up your anus and tried to stab you.

A terrasque is like a bug to this colossus.

It could reach space if it held up its hands and jumped slightly.