Note the differences

Note the differences.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_angle
magiccards.info/query?q=(e:od/en) o:{C}&v=card&s=cname
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

One looks like a wall made of organic stuff and the other looks like a crypt?

Less words on the newer one because a lot of them are implied instead of explicitly stated (ex:interrupt).

One of the few positive changes.

It's a reprint. The point is that there are no differences.

Is everyone ignoring the eldrazi colourless mana symbol a hot new meme?

That's just "two colourless". The only thing it had to do with the Eldrazi were that Kozilek utilized it.

>went from common to mythic
Richard "Never Trust Rosewater With My Game" Garfunkel must be spinning in his grave.

>his grave.

It was not common, the old sets used black set symbol on all the cards, it was not differentiated by color to note rarity. that started with... maybe Tempest?

Are people seriously upset about the new art, or something? I genuinely don't see how. A bit generic maybe, but not awful, and at least it looks like a crypt.

What's with all the Dutch angles?

All the newly-revealed reprints seem to be afflicted.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_angle

>that started with... maybe Tempest?
Exodus, third set of Tempest block.

>A bit generic maybe, but not awful, and at least it looks like a crypt.

For many, unrelenting genericism is far worse. At least awful things are interesting.

Mana Crypt never had a "rarity" in the real sense to begin with, since it was not released in a set. It was a promo card that you got by buying some shitty novel.

Anus mana symbol still looks fucking horrible and should be removed from the game.

Sorry, exiled.

>Anus mana symbol still looks fucking horrible and should be removed from the game.
just wait for Phyrexian True Colorless mana

Dutch Angles promote a sense of motion.
Dutch Angles are artist cheating the rule of thirds.

I read that as Dutch angels and wanted to post a picture of one but all I got was furry shit.

Right, is that commonly used now and people aren't bothered?

Only people looking for something to be mad about are overly bothered by it. It's on any land/creature/artifact that makes colorless mana, like they said it'd be, and just like any change they've made it's something to get used to, and different people have different tastes in the matter.
They haven't had anything else use C as a cost since Oath - and they said that such things would be incredibly rare to show up.

>people aren't bothered?
some people are bothered, but they are bothered at literally everything, so who cares about their opinion, they just want to be mad at something.

It's not a big deal and has some cool uses, so what's to be bothered about?

Mark "Richard is going to be six feet under if I find him" Rosewater will make sure of it.

>Mark killed Garfield, that's why he banned dread return
Who is ready for for Garfield to be risen by an evil dredge player super nazi science project, hence announcing the dread return unban from modern?

On the left is the current Gatherer wording for Tawnos' coffin. On the right is what it should be, and was for a brief time. But y'all are babies so it isn't anymore.

Phasing is elegant.

It's also so simple that its entire rules can fit onto a single sheet of paper (try doing the same with Trample), but, again, MtG players are babies.

They would just print that as a Banisher Priest-esque "exile until" effect nowadays.

>just turn the card upside down to denote it phased
What now motherfucker?

>He doesn't live in a 5 dimensional space

Nobody but assblasted retards on the Internet who don't even play MtG was bothered in the first place

Wait I forgot, does phasing actually make them etb when they phase back in?

They can fit the trample reminder text in a card rules box with space left over. What are you smoking?

No.

Phasing is complicated on the same theory dredge is.
It's not "normal". They're a set of rules extra for something people asume is another thing (phasing works like exile lol/dredge is a triggered ability lol).

Man, Power creep is real. A 3/3 shroud for G at common rarity late game.

Oh baby, goose is now pauper legal.

It doesn't use phasing because the printed card doesn't use phasing and DOES trigger ETB/leaves play effects as originally written, while phasing does not. It was changed to not have phasing because they wanted it to play as close to as written as possible.

That card is fifteen years old, moron.

>Only people looking for something to be mad about are overly bothered by it.

Dude, it looks like shit. It's ugly. There was no problem with simply using the generic mana symbol for colorless mana, since there is no way to produce generic mana in the game anyway.

This is true. See

You just admitted that there's ambiguity with the generic numbered symbols, and that colorless mana fixed it.

Having one symbol that can contextually represent two different things is poor design.

well no
the only ambiguity is for spells that specifically require colorless mana to cost (which were introduced WITH the symbol), before they came about there was never anything that specifically required colorless mana to cost, so the generic mana symbol worked perfectly fine.

in fact, there's only been a step back if you're going to be that anal about ambiguity
>these two different symbols act exactly the same way except in cases where they don't
fantastic

anyway i personally don't give much more of a fuck about that, i don't really like the look of the symbol and it doesn't feel like it ever belongs on a card, but on the other hand i suppose there aren't exactly many choices for representing colorless mana
maybe a plain dot or siphon-y looking symbol might've worked better. who knows?

>muh diamond is not the right shape

holy shit kill yourself asap

>you're not allowed to dislike something's aesthetics
autism

>ambiguity

i dunno i'm looking at the card and it seems pretty obvious how it works

in this case no, youre not, its a fucking tiny grey diamond, what could possibly be "unaesthetic" about it?

your stupid alternatives prove that you dont actually have a real problem with the aesthetics you just WANT to have a problem because youre a shit-eating double nigger

That sounds like more of just a "I'm not used to this new thing so I don't like it" issue.

It cleared up some ambiguity. Generic symbols used to mean different things in a mana ability vs. a cost. Now there are separate symbols. It was way more ambiguous than counters vs. counters, although personally I could stand to see that changed too.

>Phasing is elegant.
It's also not the same thing as what Tawnos's Coffin does.

>ITT: OP is a fagot

does somebody not liking a symbol really tickle your butthole that hard?
top fucking kek

Pauper Bogle top tier!

Hmm . .. yeah indeed, I think that the second one might be a forgery. You should try to get your money back.

Dutch angles are cool, man.

Personally, I think that's some great Goose art.

shroud is kind of different from hexproof

>shroud
Huh, I though that they killed it in favor of hexproof ?

Well, maybe in the end commander is not that awfull.

I stopped caring about the new symbol for colorless mana when I realized that they only started using generic to represent it around Onslaught, before then it always spelled out "colorless mana".

It isn't really all that groundshaking.

magiccards.info/query?q=(e:od/en) o:{C}&v=card&s=cname

Also, what the fuck, check out Nantuko Elder.

You don't know what a reprint is, do you?

>Well, maybe in the end commander is not that awfull.

>You don't know what a reprint is, do you?

Nantuko Elder is the entire reason WHY they started using the generic mana cost symbols for colorless mana generation, actually.

it's not hard for me to follow either

simply
>when X or Y happens, do 1 or 2

It could just be inside/outside.

Like others had said, I think they went back to the first wording because phasing does not trigger EtB or LtB triggers, and the original card DID trigger those. So if you made it phase, that would be a functional change.

Also, the second does not return the permanent(s) immediately upon the destruction/untap of the artifact like the first one, which is ANOTHER functional change.

So yes, the later is more elegant. But it is also a different card.

Problem with phasing is that its complicated and cards that have it suck. Same with banding.

No, its not hard to learn what it does, but its really not worth it.

To be fair, there's another problem with Banding.
Here's the reminder text for Banding.

Original
>an opponent calls the flip in the air, if you lose take 3

Reprint
>no party is specified to call the flip, or when.

looks like you can just always win the flip by calling it after it lands because the rules text doesn't explicitly state otherwise.

>anus mana

Is your anus a fucking rhombus?

It's not like it's any easier to deal with that card being tapped: a person who can't remember it's phased probably can't remember it's tapped, either. It's a niche situation.

Current rules text for Phasing:
>Phasing (This phases in or out before you untap during each of your untap steps. While it's phased out, it's treated as though it doesn't exist.)

Properly speaking it should probably have "this and all cards and counters attached to it" instead, but that's hardly longer.

>Problem with phasing is that its complicated

It really, really isn't. It is, in fact, exactly as complicated as Exile.

>and cards that have it suck.

That's because they were all printed in 1995 (except for Old Fogey, an Unhinged card). A lot of 1995 cards suck. Also not every card with Phasing sucks; Dream Fighter and Rainbow Efreet, for example. You can also do some really neat stuff with Time and Tide, and playing two Teferi's Isles is arguably better than playing two Islands.

Plus the combo in pic is really fun. And mean. And fun.

It was never printed in a set. It had no rarity.

good job

>muh game
> y can't we have x from when i was a wee child

You should try that at your FLGS!

I'm pretty sure it actually says in the comprehensive rules when you call a coin flip.

The issue I took was that although there was "ambiguity", it never mattered. I still Say that my Phyrexian Revokers cost 2 colorless mana. Everyone knows what I mean

705.1. To flip a coin for an object that cares whether a player wins or loses the flip, the affected player flips the coin and calls "heads" or "tails." If the call matches the result, that player wins the flip. Otherwise, the player loses the flip. Only the player who flips the coin wins or loses the flip; no other players are involved.

Why, though?
Everyone I know says that Phyrexian Revoker costs 2. Just...2. They don't say 2 colorless or 2 generic, just 2.

Because if someone asks me what any given card costs, Ill tell them the mana costs and generally the colors. "It costs 2 and a green". "It costs 2 colorless mana"

The ambiguity never mattered because there were never any cards that had colorless mana in their cost. When Wizards decided that they wanted cards that required colorless mana to cast they needed a way to resolve the ambiguity and a new mana symbol was the best way to do it. The symbol may look a bit weird but it opens up new design space which is good and they've said they plan on using it sparingly going forward so it won't be shoved in every set. And it makes things clearer and easier to explain to new players by removing a wierd bit of rules that pretty much every new player I've seen gets confused on. I can't see any real arguments against it aside from just not liking the design.

It looks ugly is the main reason I don't like it. Colorless mana matters is also pretty stupid, because as we saw with the OGW Eldrazi costing exlusively colorless mana is not a drawback.

I've also never experienced the fabled "New player who was confused by colorless/generic mana". I know when I was 12 and getting into magic, it was extremely straightforward.

Thats a cyclical problem, though. There was no ambiguity before because WOTC knew in advance they could never print such cards without creating a problem because there was no good way to handle it. So because there was no good way to handle it, they never made those cards, so there was no ambiguity.

Its card to cite the cards that were never made.

There was no good way to handle the "problem".

Colorless matters was a really stupid mechanic. Its not a "drawback" to only cost colorless, you can just jam all the sweet utility lands or sol lands.

Again, the ambiguity was never a problem until it was made to be one.

It's kind of a moot point when it will only ever show up on the bad borders anyway.

>baleful strix as rare
>Shaman of the Pact even being there when Origins is still being printed
What the fuck?

Uncommon Strix would kind of ruin limited

They did, because babies cry when they can't target their own shroud dudes.

Goose is from a better time.

I'm not sure why they're so worried about strix being in modern. he might actually make u/b decks not suck so bad.

most people I knew back in the day played like shroud was hexproof and they would get extremely buthurt if you pointed it out.

Both for limited reasons. This is still a set built to be drafted, at the end of the day. And Shaman is a nice complement to an elf archetype.

Those people should have been real men and played Plated Slagwurm.

>baleful strix at rare

Are you shitting me. Imagine pulling that shit as your rare.

>Imagine pulling a 5 dollar card playable in multiple archetypes as a rare

What were you expecting?

>in a pack that costs $10

So you would like every pack to contain a guaranteed $10 rare + the rest of the pack? Jesus Christ.

I'd be happy. Baleful strictly is a good fucking card

You'd be lucky if you got something even near half of your money back in a pack pal.

Imagine pulling this as your foil.
> instant $80 card

im not sure where everybody got this idea that you're supposed to be able to buy a children's toy and then somehow end up with the same amount of money after you bought it

If you don't open it, then it will only increase in value.

what does that have to do with what that poster said?

> able to buy a children's toy and then somehow end up with the same amount of money after you bought it
That's where my response comes from.

pretty obvious he meant actually opening and using the toy you buy, you can buy anything and then sell it back without using it and have the same amount of money, thats irrelevant

Irrelevant or not. I just wanted to toss that in as a fun fact.

Also, if you bought Tickle Me Elmo when it was new, opened it, let your kid play with it, then put it on eBay, you could still get double what you paid for it.

Just saying.

Also, a lot of precon decks and premium sets could be broke apart and sold individually to get more than what you paid for.

But, I get where you are coming from and you are absolutely right. You can't open a pack and expect that every pack gets you your money back or more.