/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

short cards, long flavor texts edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Formatting Guide
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/
photojoiner.net/
fotor.com/features/photo-stitch.html

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/query?q=t:"lizard beast"&v=card&s=cname
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>mfw I have no creativity and good english grammar for writing flavor texts

I find it simpler to grant enchanted creature a triggered ability, rather than try to use nested possessives.
>Enchanted creatures has "At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on this creature."

Feels really strong as a finisher, but that RRR in the costing tames it. How about, "Flowstone Uprising" as the name instead?

If this triggered at each upkeep, maybe I'd be okay with it, but other wise this becomes a pretty potent aggro card.

That user is colorshifting this.

>short cards, long flavor texts edition!
So, vanillas basically.

As pointed, it's a colorshift. But of course that I could tweak it a little.

Also I don't think that it'd be that much good in aggro since it still a 2 for 1 if the opponent has a removal or if it can hold back the creature and let it die by itself. And my set is full of removal/pseudo-removal in every color.

About the red finisher, I always liked "weird" names in magic cads like "It that betrays", "That which was taken", "Borrowing 100,000 Arrows", etc.

But that's just me. Flowstone Uprising sounds badass too.

"T: Reveal the top card of your library, the put it into your hand. If it is a land, discard a card."
Other then that, it seems okay, but not a common. Bump the rarity.

Well, yours is a common in a decent agro color, while the other is a rare and in U.
Yes, auras have that issue but in a decent number of cases you could easily drop a 1/1 turn 1, put 2 of those on it, then swing for 7, then 5, then 3. There are a few ways to mitigate the negative effect too, like Melira, Sylvok Outcast.
And hay, if you like having funky names go with it. Your cards after all.
>To Death!
Seems fine. Pretty swingy at times though. Maybe bump it to 6.

That is clearly a cylinder. Also this needs to be a mythic.

I see your point about the Timeshifted Unstable Mutation, but even if it was blue, it was actually a common in the older sets that it was printed (Revised, Forth, Fifth and Arabian Nights) according to the Gartherer. And it never really broke anything, so I think it's safe if it was printed in black, even by today standards.

This is essentially a 2 mana rock that enters tapped, but has an additional upside. You shouldn't be talking about bumping rarities when you yourself are pushing cards at common.

How short does the card/long does the flavor text need to be to qualify as fitting with the edition? I've got plenty of flavor text to go around.

Haha! Time for UG

I like this, but have to point out you just voltron it, and run it in a Bant environment with Exalted, a bunch of defender stuff, and win, since you're in the colors that can protect it so easily. Not sure a common should be so strong.

They printed Triton Shorestalker at common in a block that pushed the voltron archetype. They printed Tormented Soul at common in M13, a set with an exalted archetype. They printed Blighted Agent at common. It's fine. Commons are allowed to be good.

I made this to try to find out if this design would work.

Fair enough.
>Commons are allowed to be good.
I agree. What I said was not mutually exclusive to expressing concern over blue getting a 2/1 that is that good at common at that cost.

This doesn't need to cantrip as it is already a great source of card advantage.

I guess this is expensive enough that it could cantrip.

Don't capitalize indestructible. I dislike that it's practically an enchantment.

Memory issues on the trample gaining ability.

>This doesn't need to cantrip as it is already a great source of card advantage.
Makes sense. Fix'd.

>Don't capitalize indestructible. I dislike that it's practically an enchantment.
Fix'd. About it being a "pseudo-enchantment", it is because she should work like a god-esque card. She's literally the concept of being after all.

>Memory issues on the trample gaining ability.
New version. Although I wanted something different from +1/+1 counters since my set uses -1/-1 counters and it's kinda boring anyway.

I guess I'm going to be feedback user now. Please know ahead of time that I'm not the best at judging power levels.

Eh, I dunno about this. Leatherback exists, I know, but I'm not sure if adding one more G equates to a +2/+1 increase.

Huh. Just... ANY counter? Seems just a bit strange, along with the lifeloss triggering off attacking instead of just upkeep. Probably fine though.

What said.

Not entirely sure if this wording works. If it were me, I'd just give the creatures a tap ability.

Needs to be mythic. Also, why is this high platform called a cube?

Remove "the"

Just want to point out that it wouldn't be hard to make it deal the damage only to the defending player. Also, the name "Shieldbreaker" makes me think he'd grant a P/T bonus and trample or something.

>~ can't be blocked as long as it's attacking alone.
There are only a few situations where this wording and your wording are not functionally identical. Also, needs to cost more. Maybe 2U or 1UU. Oh, and it needs to be uncommon.

Seems fine I guess.

I'm kinda having a tough time figuring out why you're even bothering making the colors interact like this. It just feels clunky to me.

Wording taken from Darksteel Mutation:
>Enchanted creature is a Plant creature with base power and toughness 0/1 and has defender, and it loses all other abilities, card types, and creature types.

Part of me wonders why Green wouldn't run something that could recur this from your graveyard.

>Beast Tame
>Doesn't target Beasts exclusively
In all seriousness, this has memory issues.

>gimmickwalker
Not even reading this.

Ugh, OK, changed my mind.

OK, read it. Not really feeling it. You know people would probably just use the -4 twice rather than the -2, right?

>slowpoke.jpg

Is this OK at common?
(not planning any colorless shenanigans in the set)

Probably not. This strikes me as the kind of card that gets printed as an uncommon, warps a format, then only ever gets reprinted as a rare in something like Modern Masters.

>You know people would probably just use the -4 twice rather than the -2, right?
Eh. I feel as though it's about opportunity cost. Do you want 1/1s that will eventually become 2/2s, or do you want to get rid of something scary. Actually, when you put it like that, there's no real reason to use the -2 is there? Oh well. I tried. I haven't found art for this yet, but how's this?

I think I'd change the first ability to explain that it is the other types in addition, because you might get into the situation where someone might think that the first ability makes it lose its Shapeshifter type if you don't control another Shapeshifter. As for the other ability, remember that cards in exile, the hand, graveyard, or library are referred to as "cards"

That first ability also makes it so if you play an elf and then the elf dies, the shapeshifter will keep being an elf because it checks itself for types.

>I think I'd change the first ability to explain that it is the other types in addition
Done
> As for the other ability, remember that cards in exile, the hand, graveyard, or library are referred to as "cards"
That was a typo on my part. Fixed

>Not entirely sure if this wording works. If it were me, I'd just give the creatures a tap ability.
Fuck me, I'm dumb. Fix'd.

Also, new artwork since it fits the set. (Japanese/Horror/Surreal)

>Remove "the"
Done.

>I'm kinda having a tough time figuring out why you're even bothering making the colors interact like this. It just feels clunky to me.
It's kinda clunky, I know. Maybe I'll work a little more on it afterwards. Also, just to clarify, my set is heavily focused on enemy-pair colors and graveyard shenanigans.

>Part of me wonders why Green wouldn't run something that could recur this from your graveyard.
...I don't really understand what are you trying to say. Also, it is green simply because it's the UG legendary creature from the set, it's part of a cycle. She could be mono-U maybe, but it would be really boring.

Also, green fits her "lore" and maybe the necrotic ooze ability.

>Wording taken from Darksteel Mutation
>Enchanted creature is a Plant creature with base power and toughness 0/1 and has defender, and it loses all other abilities, card types, and creature types.
Fix'd.

>In all seriousness, this has memory issues.
Yeah, I know. See

After reading what that other user said, added the "other creatures" clause.

>clunky
If it were me, I'd give one mono-Green ability, probably one that just triggers and doesn't need mana, and I'd also give it a mono-Blue ability with a Blue mana cost as well. So, for this one, maybe you could make it... IDK, whenever you cast a creature spell, you can put a creature card from your graveyard on top of your library, and maybe a Blue ability to draw a card. Or maybe the Blue ability could sac the enchantment to give you a copy of a creature you control. Just spitballin' here.

>UG legendary
I was saying that I didn't really understand the last ability. It's probably just me though, you should probably just carry on with it.

Huh. I'd like to see this in action.

Maybe
>When ~ enters the battlefield, discard a card. If you can't, ~ gains haste until end of turn.

It should be noted that the original Shrines were all legends.

Check the rules for "fight", that wording does not work

Nice to see you back, Timeanon.
what is black giving that card?
suggestion: make it "each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life"

The hondens were legendary for a reason. As a subtype, Shrine is always capitalized.

Assuming you make them all legendary...

>WU
If you want to flicker multiple creatures, you need "up to X target creatures, where X is the number of Shrines you control"

>UB
fair to weak, because of how slow it is.

>GW
easily busted

>RW
don't capitalize keywords unless at the beginning of a sentence.

>clunky
Well, I'll think about it later. I really want to make an interesting UG enchantment. But I can't think on anything interesting for now.

>UG legendary
It exiles itself in the graveyard to search another copy of itself in the library. It fits her flavor as "you can't simply kill a concept that easily".

Nah but it is close. This is just a striketly less easy to exploit bounce land. You'd need some way to filter colorless mana into colored mana infinity, but if you really wanted to try that you could just do crumbling vestige + ruin ghost + retreat to coralhelm + amulet of vigor. That at least skips the step of filtering the colored mana, and lets you also combo it with bounce lands so you have more combo pieces.

>WU
I dunno how I feel about a super conjurer's closet at uncommon.
>UB
Sure. Pretty pickable in drafts.
>BR
seems fine to me. I'd pick this in drafts, honestly.
>RG
Make it, "add any combination of R or G to your mana pool for each shrine you control." and maybe bump it to 4 mana. Not sure on that.
>WG
No. No no no. 4 mana repeatable uncommon tutor for weenies will turn out terribly very quickly. I don't know how exactly, but this will only go terribly wrong.
>RW
Feels fine for the mana. Kinda a game ender in drafts but I'd expect that out of a 6 mana enchantment.
>WB
Quality card, would pick.
>BG
Much more ballanced then the WG. I would consider making it only able to hit permanent cards as BG doesn't really dig up instants or sorcerys.
>GU
I want to say this is over costed, but seeing how this is a one sides howling mine that can get bigger I think you are write with 5 mana.
>UR
Not bad, maybe just make it scry equal to the number of shrines you control?

Several of these need to be legendary or significantly more expensive, else they're too strong.

Assuming two copies...
>GW
4 free tutored-to-field creatures every turn. GW enchantments built around this doesn't care that they're CMC 1.
>RG
4 free mana each turn starting on turn 3/4 is pushed.
>RW
This one isn't as broken as the others because I'm not sure what business a RW deck has sitting at 6 mana, but note how strong 4 haste and vigilance 2/2s is every turn.
>GU
4 cards of card advantage. It's expensive, sure, but if this gets in place it gets out of hand fast. GU tends not to have problems with cost anyways.

The others range from "Absolute trash" (UB, probably BG) to "It's good but probably not broken" (WB, UR)

The name feels more like an Equipment to me

Half Asgardian, half Troll, all adorable badass. The last ability is from her magic axe.

How about
>Rhythmic Impulse
>Dancing Momentum

Rhythmic Impulse brings to mind red's exile-draw, while Dancing Momentum doesn't roll of the tounge very well. I'm sure there's a better name for the card somewhere though.

>Put shroud before level up (and probably remove the reminder text for space).
>Remove the commas after "have".
>"Add two mana in any combination"

>Sort color words in the same way the game sorts colors. "Green or blue".

>Capitalize subtypes like shrine in card text.

>Comma after "otherwise".

That name brings to mind an equipment, not an aura.

>Capitalize Death.
>"Any number of target creatures you control each get +1/+1 and gain "T: This creature fights another target creature.""

Dinosaurs in Magic have historically been Lizard Beasts.

magiccards.info/query?q=t:"lizard beast"&v=card&s=cname
Three Beasts that were errata'd to Beast Lizards. Adaptive Snapjaw. Deathmist Raptor.

Meanwhile all the other ---saurs are just plain Lizards.

Well, recently, anyhow, which is the most relevant.

>What is black about the card?
Multicolor (gold) cards can contain shared elements from their given colors without necessarily containing unique elements from those colors. Trample is both black and red. The card certainly could be mono red, but is also fine as r/b, and soldiers in my set are r/b in color.

That's a bit of a stretch, black only gets trample on its big demons.

EVERYBODY DO THE DINOSAUR

It's tertiary, but it's there. Certainly more easily justifiable than Rhox War Monk and similar cards also multicolored for tribal and/or draft purposes.

Not your father's Green Lantern, but your grandfather's Green Lantern. First try with Alan. Since his powers are magic-based, I decided to make him a Wizard and have him interact with enchantments. I'll probably carry over some of the ideas I come up with for Alan to his kids.

Lose the lifelink and you could up the tax to 2. There's also not a whole lot that's green about him, and you can easily make him mono-white.

>Green Lantern
>not green
kek'd

He COULD be mono-white, but he doesn't HAVE to be. Enchantment matters themes fit just as easily into green.

I will point out that I'm basically just making him a buffed version of Elderwood Scion. And here's the last version for now. I'm not sure of how out of hand reducing the cost of spells that target him can be, so please tell me if this is too much.

Hmm, how about green instead of blue ?

He could just as easily be WB or WU, and probably more justifiably. Three out of four of his abilities are non green. The only green ability is hybrid with white. There's nothing about him that stands out as green, other than the fact that's it in his name. He doesn't even have beef.

Green Lanterns have very little to do with green philosophically, or even mechanically. They all fly. They all rely on an artifact that's powered by willpower, rather than their own natural strength. They fight from afar with laser beams. They make constructs. They're all about enforcing law and order. What about the green lanterns are green?

>He could just as easily be W/B or W/U
Yeah, he definitely could. But there's nothing wrong with him being green. Being "more" of one color doesn't prohibit a card from being another color. A 2/2 with haste is certainly more red mechanically than anything, but that doesn't mean that it'd be wrong for one to be black, or even green, as long as you stick to primary/secondary/tertiary distribution levels (that is to say, don't have every creature with haste in green).

One last quick one for tonight.

What said, this totally feels more GU than WU.

It also feels a bit too cheap considering how damn easy it is to get + counters

>Green Lantern has to be green!
>Batman has to be black!
>Superman has to be red, white, and blue!

When can we expect to see monored velociraptor tribal?

I have been toying with haste tribal. Also trample tribal, but that was a lot more frustrating and one of the reasons why I abandoned this set.

I've been meaning to say, I really like all your flavor text, user.

I can only assume this is potentially dangerous

The fact that it filters is what makes it nuts.

Right... I could dial it back a little to two cards or I guess even one but then it doesn't actually hit anything and it looks bad. But maybe that would be for the best.

dont hate me please...

No

>has wings
>doesn't have flying

>Slifer's second head ability is missing

0/10

Should be rare.

Thanks, user! I put a lot of effort into fleshing out the flavor on my set's plane.
>Temur Battlemage
Solid uncommon with fitting abilities

That's a weird mishmash of abilities. Neither has the timing you'd want to be used together.

You use it to make your opponent block unprofitably, user. It prevents chump blocking, and whatever they do choose to block with has to deal with deathtouch.

The first ability makes me want to cast it after blockers are declared, though, to "surprise 2-for-1 or 3-for-1"

Its just odd, when all the bonuses are more useful in different situations and timings.

Don't worry, user, I get the joke. You're not alone. I don't think you're craaaazy.

I can make it a sorcery if you're worried about the timing being confusing.

It's not confusing, but making it a sorcery would force you to use it for its intended purpose.

Made it a sorcery, thanks for the feedback!

It's just that the abilities don't fit together. Deathtouch makes you want to kill things, why would you give it evasion on top of it?

So that you kill the thing you want to kill, and not their 1/1 token

Making this 4 mana really makes it seem weak, but I'm probably just too used to the bonkers power level of mantis rider.
>bird lizard
Dinosaurs are neither of these things, though out of the two the bird is much closer, genetically. I think just making Dinosaur a creature type is the smartest move here.