How do your group roll for stats

How do your group roll for stats

4d4 with exploding dice.

With dice

also

>ESL

Roll for race, roll for class, roll 1d20 for each stat.

On my group we do like this
We select our race.
Then we roll in order (with a 3d6)
Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

After you roll for stat X, you can do a reroll if you want.
To do that you roll a 3d6 and this will be your new stat (even if the stat is lower)
Then after re-roling the stat, you must roll a 1d6 to pick an random stat, and then roll a 3d6 to decide the value of the stat, you keep the lowest value between the current value of the stat and the one you rolled.
If you get at random some stat you didnt rolled yet, the value of the stat will be the smallest value between the one that you will roll later and the current one you rolled.

You can do this reroll only 2 times during the character creation, but this can be done 2 times to the same stat.

EXAMPLE
First we select human as your race.

Then we roll for strength
Got 11
So:
Strenght 11
Dexterity ??
Constitution ??
Intelligence ??
Wisdom ??
Charisma ??

Then we roll for dex
We get 7
So
Strenght 11
Dexterity 7
Constitution ??
Intelligence ??
Wisdom ??
Charisma ??

The player decide 7 is too low and decided to roll again.
He roll an 11
So his dex is 11
Then he roll 1d6 to find the stat he will change
He get 2, that is dex
He roll again and get an 5, so his dex is 5

So...
Strenght 11
Dexterity 5
Constitution ??
Intelligence ??
Wisdom ??
Charisma ??

and this goes on

I'd be curious to see the curve on that.

4d6 drop lowest. Roll 6 times, assign to stats as you wish.

It's been pretty much the standard in my area for years now.

3d6 in order.

But new PCs are promoted from hireling, so you have you pick of quite a few stat options.
There's always a few good ones if you don't limit yourself by character traits.

Point buy. We played something one time and it was awful but point buy was fucking cool.

Point buy is for faggots. With rolled stats you can play a out of the ordinary characters without being too penalized but point buy punishes this shit hard. It limits your max stat number so you're always just above average and forces you to put points into a build to fit your class or else you end up being a waste of space.

Fuck point buy. If I wanted to play a shitty or unoriginal character I want it to be up to the dice, not some shitty formula.

>3d6 assign for a quick dungeon crawl

>4d6 in order for a quick hach'n'slash

>Or 4d6, drop the lowest, assign for a high, story focused adventure

>Point Buy for an online game or other situations where players can't make characters together

Or whatever the rules of the particular system call for.

Roll 4d6 drop lowest 6 times and assign values as desired. No re rolls because one of you fucks threw in a red weighted d6 in the bag of d6's we use for this shit and your stats should be fine without it.

Depends entirely on the tone of the game. I mostly do point buy but when I do roll I do it for games I want to be lower power.

3d6 in order is fun. 3d6 arranged is fine as well though.

Our group usually has us roll 4d6 drop the lowest. After that if any of the higher 3 dice have a 1 in them we can re-roll those one more try but we have to stick with the new roll. After we finally decide what our new stats are we assign them however we want.

We usually roll our stats before choosing our class and race.

D5+6 sided "averaging die"+d6+d2

>Fuck point buy. If I wanted to play a shitty or unoriginal character I want it to be up to the dice, not some shitty formula.
Do you choose your feats and spells randomly too?

Usually depends on the game style. Most of our more serious use point buy, but also 4d6, drop lowest.

I have a couple of GMs that always like people to have really good characters and do 5d6 drop lowest 2.

Admittedly the most out there GM did for his gestalt game 6d6 drop lowest 3, reroll ones, and reroll totals lower than 7. It lead to some ridiculous totals. I ended up with a monk gestalt due to the fact I had 18s in 4 of the six.

Oh and the weirdest one, was a GM who made us roll 5 stats blocks of 4d6 drop one. He would then go over and adjust the blocks, using some method that made no sense to me. Then you must choose one of the five or one he rolls for you.

I have some friends who played in a campaign where everything was rolled randomly and the feats and levels you took were chosen by the group as a whole, with the player not getting a say in it.
Most of the time that group just rolled for the levels and feats so it ended up with some really really stupid builds.

Such as the 12 STR, 8 int, 6 Cha Sorcerer/Wizard/Barbarian one player had to play. His feat selection was primarily skill bonus feats.

What the hell, man.

On the rare occasions we play dnd, we use an array.

Same but one 3 sets instead of 6.

I tried it just now, got 18, 24, 12, 13, 14, and 9 as totals, and with at least one explosion in each of those.

I used to do character battles with 4d4+4. Average roll is 14, min is 8, max is 20.

3d6 in order 3 times.
They pick the one they want.
Then i tell them the other two sets are their backups and watch the fear set in as they look at those low rolls.
I feel it encourages a bit of caution, you know?

I look at the stats and make a story.
Then i play that story.
Real high dex and con? This is a conan.
Real big str? Lets get a minotaur with double scimitars rolling

What's the matter faggot? Can't take a little risk in a table top game. Fucking plebs trying to justify shitty point buy. If you rolled a shit character, you tried to survive or got killed and rolled another character. Point buy just makes average characters or shitty characters. It's a shitty system for crap DMs that can't make decent encounters so they have to gimp you so they feel better.

Point buy.

The industry standard 4d6 drop lowest, assign results to stats. This way everyone largely gets to play what they want on first try, and there is no time wasted on rerolling or murderizing your characters on first adventure until you get the statline suited for your class choice.

it works well with systems without solid class mechanics

we have a set amount of points differing depending of the campain powerlevel, so you will most likely not play a character starting peasant-level unless the group wants to all play peasant-level starters.
instead we roll other things like starting gold (d10xd10xd10xd10)

also , i generally allow putting ridiculous amounts of points into a single stat since our system is pretty self-regulating in this regard

>Point buy just makes average characters or shitty characters.
That depends entirely on how many points you use. If you want strong characters, point buy is a much more straightforward way to do it than silly shit like this:
>Admittedly the most out there GM did for his gestalt game 6d6 drop lowest 3, reroll ones, and reroll totals lower than 7.

8d20, drop 2.

Every group I've played was point-buy, and when I GM, it's mostly point-buy or sometimes 2d6+6 when I'm drunk.

At our table we prefer that the party is on the same level, not having one player forced to sit back and do nothing because of terrible character choices that they have no control over.
So each player and GM rolls an array using 3d6, then as a group decide on which array to pick, assigning them to characteristics as we choose.
Or just point buy.

>Richard Tongue
Good pen-name, or unfortunate real name?

We don't.

21d6. No less than 7 after racials, no more than 18 per racisl. Assign all dice.

It doesn't

Rolled 4, 5, 1, 6, 6, 4, 3, 2, 6, 4, 1, 3 = 45 (12d6)

2d6+6. Objectively the best method for heroic characters.

We don't. We just throw a coin to decide who wins in each contest. Stats are for faggots who can't roleplay well.

When I roll for stats its either 3d6 assign or 4d6dl straight down.

I don't use pointbuy or an array either. I usually will play Level 0 and have character creation be part of the game.

However, I might just start using 2d6+6 or 4d4 explode.

For D&D (only game where rolling stats matters):

- take a deck of regular playing cards
- take a pair of each number from 4 to 9
- shuffle and draw 6 couples
- add up and assign to scores
- repeat for the next player

This ensures that A. all the party has the same total points in stats B. every high stat is balanced by a lower one (if you get an 18, it means your 9s are gone).

Alternatively, I take a page from the latest Gamma World - you get an automatic 16 in your primary stat and a 14 in your secondary (pre-racial mods), the rest is 3d6 in order.

And had any of the players enjoy playing like that?

While I wholeheartedly approve of drawing cards, your method gives you crazy high results in a very spiky distribution. Here it is compared to 3d6.

Roll 24d6 all at once, choose six sets of three as you like and assign those to the stats you want.

If you want a pretty good approximation of 4d6 drop low, then shuffle the following cards and draw 3 per attribute:
2 aces (ones)
2 twos
2 threes
3 fours
4 fives
5 sixes*

*Obviously a deck of cards is only going to have 4 sixes, so if you don't have an extra deck at hand, you're gonna have to put in another card to represent the 5th six (maybe a joker or a 9).

Here's one where you don't have to sub in any cards, but where the bell curve is a bit steeper. Again, draw 3 per attribute:
1 ace (one)
2 twos
3 threes
4 fours
4 fives
4 sixes

Now them are some sexy sexy curves

Standard point buy. I tend to run challenging games and I would love my players not to be screwed by bad dice rolls and equally able to contribute. I only force rolls in rogue trader, which has no point buy option, an high enough starting value for stats and is more about stacking bonuses anyway.

To simulate 3d6, either:
4 aces
3 twos
2 threes
2 fours
3 fives
4 sixes

...or...
4 aces
2 twos
3 threes
3 fours
2 fives
4 sixes

(The top left and top right distributions, respectively, in the pic.)

16, 9, 9, 9, 22, 30.

And finally, a randomly generated, (somewhat) randomly allocated array for old school D&D.

>Point buy

You are the cancer ruining TTRPGS.

>While I wholeheartedly approve of drawing cards, your method gives you crazy high results in a very spiky distribution. Here it is compared to 3d6.

Yes, and?

7d3-1 6 times, assign as you please.

We don't because we moved away from shit systems long, long ago

>All these grognards who cannot handle pointbuy
How does it feel to watch the future go by?

4d6 drop the lowest.
Player can roll new set of stats, if he wants.
I just don't give to much fucks about my players' stats.

Looks lazy and covered in cheeto dust and flop sweat.

People still roll stats for new games. Point buy is usually used for online games where you can't schedule a character creation session. 4d6 drop the lowest is still the most popular method, point buy is 2nd.

>no mention of 5d4 or 6d4k5
Where my Dark Sun niggas at?

so , what exactly is it with rolling for stats?
we always got a maximum amount of points to freely distribute , i dont get why you should leave it to random chance

>Dark sun.

user, you know you shouldn't hold out too much hope for other people playing such an old system.

Too steep a distribution is boring because too many numbers end up looking the same. So is having less than an 8% to have a below average stat / negative modifier. And it's kind of silly when your average modifier is greater than +1.

Dank Meme got a 4e version

2e's not old. It's only 27.

Because it was in old games, so it must be GOOD

As someone who went from point buy to rolls it's honestly just kind of fun.

We just consider "critical death" a thing. If you roll a shot char, roll another, don't play the guy with four 1's.

>implying you don't have more chances to be a waste of space with rolled stats as they are more likely to be average or below average rather than over average.

once i rolled a 10 10 10 10 8 4 on a 4d6 drop lowest, this is totally not a waste of space.

Seriously man, if yoy feel limited by point buy you can just raise the maximum stat allowed or work on more points.

>inb4 falling for b8

Depends on what number of points and which system your point buy is to compare. Most point buy games I've been in gimp your stats to be just above average, or it's a shitty DM with some complex that wants you to play with the lowest possible points; that's why some people hate point buy. If you roll 4d6 and drop the lowest you have a chance of getting 18's for some stats but it also means you have to risk getting a 3. The reason why I prefer rolling dice is, the suggested point buy some DMs choose make really bland or awful stats. So if we were going to play a character with sub-par stats we feel it'd be better to roll for them so there is at least a chance we get something extraordinary as opposed to guaranteed averageness. Point buy varies from meh to fuck you DM depending who's running the game. I haven't had a good encounter with it yet and I've played for several years.

You can plan long term factors like race, class, feats, skill and -omg- stats, and leave random chance on the actual in game rolls, where it is good and is as likely to fuck you over without making you feel cheated.

MY NIGGA!

>user, you know you shouldn't hold out too much hope for other people playing such an old system.
>you shouldn't hold out too much hope for other people playing such an old system.
>hope for other people playing such an old system
>system
>Dark Sun

user.

I've been playing for years and I usually get stats 12 and above. The current 5e game my group is playing on Roll20 has half the party with 1 or two maxed stats. We just roll 4d6 drop the lowest and put them where ever you want.I guess my group is just lucky.

I was just very unlucky with those roll, it happens, i brought it up just to make the point that just because extreme are rare doesn't mean they don't happen, and as much as i would feel cheated by rolling absurdly high and be forced to tone it down, i feel mocked when i get told to reroll cause i'm too weak.

If a system/a campaign can't handle extremes in some situation, don't base those situations on random chance. If there's no chance that paraplepgicc joe mac average hits ares god of war, don't make the roll or when he rolls natural 20 you'll have to deal with the consequences

Grogs are extremely resistant to any kind of change. They only know trying to shoehorn it into D&D or some of the awful early attempts at it in a native system.

The problem is playing the wrong game. It's great in systems designed specifically for it, but they tend to be classless and have some very different design goals.

I haven't had time to devote to a long-format campaign in almost a decade and just don't like D&D for anything but dungeoncrawling so modular point-buy systems are awesome for getting a game running quickly and at the appropriate level.

On my end, the problems with point buy are players either gimping themselves into mediocrity because they don't understand the system, or trying to min-max in a way that gets them kicked from the table because they are a game breaking asshole.

18d6, grouped freely in groups of 3d6.

Point buy or coinflips.
Stat-ranks range 1 through 6 in our system for almost everything, we don't really roll for things.

A way of generating stats for Castles & Crusades that I was working on. It helps making everybody's results relatively balanced and creates a correlation between primary attributes and high attribute scores.

What about starting with 13s in all stats and rolling a d10, treating it like a spread of -5 - +5? That would give you a range of 8-18, but would it make stat pools?

They don't. I always insist on elite array or point buy.

Here's a somewhat overly complicated system designed to yield relatively balanced sets between players. It's okay, but you're probably better off just drawing cards.

Had a DM who wanted us all to be epic characters from the get go, so we had base numbers we could apply anywhere.

Basically you had an 18, a 16, a 15, and so on down to ten and then applied them to your base stats.
So for my Barbarian I was
Strength 18
Constitution 16
Dexterity 15
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 12
Charisma 14

Made for a really fun game since I was built in as a hulking bruiser and my allies were an 18 Int wizard and an 18 dex rogue,

We just all use the elite array. Because if you character can't work using the elite array, it isn't a good character.

>Can't schedule character creation sessions in online games.

>every game is d&d: the thread

It's more of a DM's too lazy to tell anyone to get there asses in one day for the player to roll in front of them.

That needs a catchy tag line like "This summer, heroes come in all configurations." maybe not configurations, builds? Stat blocks?

We don't play garbage games like D&D where you roll for stats.

Rolled 3, 17, 13, 20, 8, 18 = 79 (6d20)

Rolling...

Rolled 1, 4, 6, 2, 2, 6 = 21 (6d6)

My stats are... 5, 15, 11, 16, 7, 12
Average... 11

Rolling to place...

strength 5
dexterity 16
constitution 7
wisdom 15
intelligence 12
charisma 11

Looks like a weak and frail but perceptive thief...
Could switch back dexterity and constitution and have a tough and wise, but weak and klutzy cleric...

If the dice continue to explode, I just rolled a 35 for one of my stats.

>If I wanted to play a shitty or unoriginal character I want it to be up to the dice, not some shitty formula.
If you need dice to tell you how to make an interesting, original character, point buy isn't the problem. You're the problem.

He's talking about stats retard.

Yeah, I just realized he must have been talking about 5e D&D specifically because that's the only point buy system I'm familiar with that limits your max stat number to slightly above average and also lacks flexibility with respect to the power level of the character you create.

Sure, that one specific point buy method is shitty, but that doesn't make point buy in general bad. It's just a bad implementation of point buy, which is still much better than a bad rolling system.

3D6 Roll-then-arrange. Allows for player choice without the min-maxing element of point buy.

We don't, it isn't the 70s anymore.

Rolled 5, 2, 1, 3 = 11 (4d10)

Three multipliers for starting gold? That's crazy, if you roll well.

Okay, that only results in 30 gold, but this is Veeky Forums dice.