Lonely dice

Lonely dice.

Lonely thread

Still sees more use than d12s. Somehow.

I know a guy who owns a d30 and a d100. A really experienced guy, been playing AD&D 2E for like a decade. You're not going to get much use out of a d30 in dnd 5e, but I imagine it did something in that old game. Might even ask him someday.

But he had it out anyway, loud and proud, 30 in the air, right next to a d20 that had been rolled down to a ball. He still rolled that old round d20, even though a fresh one would cost him less than a dollar. I knew it must have been subtly imbalanced by that wear and tear, but I couldn't ask someone to put away a die with that much history, that was rolled so many times that its corners were all round nubs. To see such a well-worn die, it's a thing of beauty.

That sounds unlikely. What are d30's even used for?

I had to switch out my d20 I had since middle school, because I got tired of watching it roll around for 10 seconds.

Well, now I very badly want to make a particular die into my one and only. Thanks, friend!

The only time I've seen anyone use one was for cheating in D&D by rolling a D30 instead of a D20.

>Guys, that's a natural 29!

Which day of the month your character's period starts on.

>Which day of the month your character's birthday lands on
>Which day of the month your character's anniversary lands on
>Which day of the month the harvest festival starts on

have you heard of Dungeon Crawl Classics? It's 3.0 rules and and 1e sensibilities. You die in one hit forever but you dont have to calculate thac0

DCC only really uses it for tables though. Don't think it's possible to actually use a d30 for any kind of character roll.

>Need to roll 3d10
>Oh no! GM's fucking retard dog/baby/roommate ate all but two d10!
>Fear not, I have a d30!

.....okay i fucking laughed.

3d10 = 1d30
>range of values from 3d10 = 1d30
>3 to 30 = 1 to 30
>16.5 avg = 15.5 avg

wut

for people who arent stats autists and want a more convenient roll

>d30
Fucking inflation, when will it stop?

Or people who, you know, like to have fun playing and don't take everything seriously?

>for people who arent stats autists and want a more convenient roll
Not that user, but if a table is made to expect a 3d10 roll, a 1d30 isn't going to work very well.

>the result that's supposed to have a 1/1000th chance of happening now has a 1-in-30 chance of happening

When players agree to play according to a set form of rules, they take into account all that the game offers or requires of them. If you, and those you are playing with, agree to house rule it, cool. But the system was designed to not have a result of 1 or 2, so just by this simple understanding, the 1d30 does not replace the 3d10. No math involved. Happy?

What are you? Some sort of free form roleplayer?

Even then, you're OK as long as you can wait a couple of hours.

Some store owner tried to convince us it was for magic weapons

You can use that to roll days in a month. An event is going to happen, but you don't know when? 1d30.

that's a countdown die

You just roll 1D4*10 - 1D10 and reroll any 4s on the D4.

i once had a buddy bitch about how he was tricked into buying a d12 and it would never get used for anything.

so i homebrewed up a Legend of Zelda game that used nothing but d12s and made him play it. it was okay.

Hope this works