mega.nz/#F!9gcB1JTS!WHAlQqEoYUgpdy8cdCg5qg
youtube.com/watch?v=1hozW87wd7A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>AINZ
>OOAL
>GOWN
Did the guy have a stroke ?

It was the name of his guild.

I really don't see the appeal of overlord unless you're the type of person that thinks skeletons are the height of comedy. It's like fucking stardust only grimdark

Like that bit in Hulk: Grey?

skletons are pretty funny user

Stardust didn't fight for his friends.

It was supposedly a term that his friends (whom he was looking for) would know, so he vowed to spread it across the land in hopes of them meeting up.

It's a bit of an unusual approach to the formula, with the POV being on the "raid boss" and the crap he has to put up with. I'm looking forward to next season when he actually has something that can stand a chance against him.

Get rekt worst girl

That's not lupusregina.

Wizard kills melee fighter with hugs.

So the gist of this story is a level 20 DnD character travels to a land where you cap out at like level 5?

Well all I've seen from the show was basically that, but I don't know where the LN goes

Overlord is fucking terrible.

To be fair, that's like an epic level wizard vs a level 10-12 Fighter.

At that point the Wizard's stats are so huge it doesn't matter what the Fighter does.

It goes a lot more in detail about his thoughts, and to be honest I enjoyed it quite a bit as the author kept things fairly decently paced with the proper amount of action. Just ever since it was lisenced the translator group dropped it. Its been a year and the official translation is only releasing book 3 by Sept. The translator group finished novel 9 and novel 10 is out in Japanese.

I'm not holding my breath and thankful novel 9 didn't end on a super cliffhanger.

Momon vs Jalbalboth arc was fucking incredible however, showed how sadistic and brilliant the bastard really is.

Pretty much except the mc is still worried about running into other players because his guild was notorious for pking and he's using a roleplaying build.

...The hell does he get with a roleplaying build? What even is that? Does he stack charisma skills?

>tfw La-Shub Niggurath will never be animated

Roleplaying build as he mainly maxed out his instant kill power, which such things in his game generally had fuckoff high resistance to it in the late game.

Nigga, is you really mocking Lord Heinz, Elder Ketchup and Overlord of Condiments?

So what, did he just go around destroying entire villages in one stroke?

Remember that it was an MMO before, so not exactly. He can kill nearly infinite amounts of faceless mooks instantly though. He essentially bought all of the instant death and summoning spells. Neat thing is he unlocked a secret class with a bitchin trump card ability from learning all the Death spells.

>Dumb-Dumb can't even into ball right
No surprise there

He just took levels in anything involving necromancy or death spells without considering how effective it would be, but he has so much gear that he might as well be a raid boss compared to the average player.

His guild focused on killing other players and they weren't interested in fair fights, so they ended up with a terrible reputation.

He does have some blasto offense spells. Dragon Lightning is like a 6th tier after all. Hell one of his Ultimate spells is a blasto spell even.

Oh yeah, his Heaven's Fall or w/e is fucking monstrous. Fortunately for him his RPing didn't preclude taking the race/class combo with access tot he largest number of spells in the game. Essentially he's a utility caster with a focus on death and summoning.

>unless you're the type of person that thinks skeletons are the height of comedy
What kind of "person" doesn't?

That race choice wasn't intention. IIRC he just thought it was cool.

And considering that he, and most likely almost everyone back then went into YGGDRASIL blind, it was mostly gut pics I think.

Didn't say that it was intentional, just that his choice happened to be optimal within the confines of his RP concept.

>Overlord is fucking terrible.
I like that the main character is from a world where huge corporations ruled, there was massive unemployment problem and the corporations were trying to find ways to deal with all the useless eaters since they were stuck with paying them to live.

Luckily for the main character that he was "teleported" to an other world exactly like the videogame his brain was plugged into before the corporation did anything like cut off his welfare check. Note that the videogame was made by the same corporation which was trying to find a way to deal with all the useless eaters who did nothing but play videogames all day.

>Overlord is the best MMO anime
fix'd
>inb4 Log Horizon
snorefest
>SAO
LOL

>Note that the videogame was made by the same corporation which was trying to find a way to deal with all the useless eaters who did nothing but play videogames all day.

>Create a problem
>Get government funding to solve that problem
Sounds like a corporation to me.

Agreed. You can only watch so many battles where the main characters just steamroll without any apparent effort or danger before it gets really tedious.

I think I would actually count SAO as better than Overlord. Overlord is just watching Mr Skelly win everything without any real resistance. SAO is just generic garbage, but it wasn't exceptionally bad until they got out of the first MMO

But Log Horizon was significantly better. Even after the Studio Deen treatment I'd say it was better than both of those

>Even after the Studio Deen treatment
They did a pretty good job with KonoSuba though, which is almost a "dork stuck in MMORPG" anime.

Somebody hasn't read the LNs. In any case not every show with action needs to be a shonen. If Overlord was a tabletop it'd be much more Exalted than DnD, about what to do when you have power rather than about gaining it.

What?

Momonga from what was said in the novels had a steady job. It didn't get him literally everything, but it supported him well enough and his company did actually help him (AKA: It wasn't outright hostile towards him)

As I recall his job was just a grind he tolerated to fund his MMO addiction. If not for the rules of the guild he might have wound up a NEET.

It the beginning days of his Guild he didn't spend any money on the MMORPG. I dunno what he spent his money on back then, but it wasn't YGG

Hard to say, maybe he just saved it. From the sounds of it he had no friends outside of the game and just lived in a tiny studio apartment with few expenses - he may have just worked because he felt he was supposed to. He definitely spent every non-essential yen on gatcha items once the guild became important to him though.

>Cult plan is tarrasque-cat breeding to make pettable kitten

.Hack the best

>novel 10 is out in jap
not for another 6 days its not
and nigel, the translator, is still translating it, it just cant be hosted on the old site anymore

Oh that's actually amazing.

I'll buy the english novels, just that if they're taking that long my patience has a limit.

Just an FYI, Nigel translates from chinese so it will still take a bit.

>it just cant be hosted on the old site anymore

Where now? I want to read this and Ive not read light novel translations before, can I just find it easily with googling or?

There is usually a general on /a/. They have a MEGA link i believe.

good advice, I found this

cheers

mega.nz/#F!9gcB1JTS!WHAlQqEoYUgpdy8cdCg5qg

Yup thats the one. Still havent gotten around to the drama cds yet

But mc and his guild were all employed.

Oh no! Poor kitty!

Overlordy gets fucking edgy as the series goes on, with all that experiments on humans and feeding them their own children.

Because they are eeeeeviiiiil!

His guild started as an informal group of nine guys who all played monstrous races. In a game where many humanoid characters could get easy XP and unlock new powers by killing monster PCs. And they mostly adventured outside of monster territory, where it was easy for PKers to reach them, which caused other players to refer to the group as a bunch of fools.

"Ainz Ooal Gown" is a corruption of the group's self-mocking name before it became a guild: "Nine's Own Goal".

It's more like an lv40 character in an lv10 world, but yeah. Most of the focus is on the protagonist slowly going mad with power (and his inability to drink bad coffee).

That doesn't mean it isn't shit, it just means you found a polished turd.

I can't tell who's saying what here so the meaning of this scene is muddied. Use colored text or something.

That's pretty shitty then, strength without restraint is worthless and unable to be used constructively.

>Implying that you don't already have a skeleton inside of you, grinning.

Oh hey, Is this actually about getting mad with power and out-edging himself?

Because that's seriously awesome.

There more I hear about Overlord, the more interesting It appears to be.
I know It's another OP Mc in a fantasy world but the author sure makes some interesting choices.

Read the lyrics
youtube.com/watch?v=1hozW87wd7A

>A 30-something salaryman had no friends except for his guildmates in an MMO, and the guild has fallen apart, leaving him filled with yearning for the good old days.
>Then the guild dungeon gets transported to another world. Protag gets trapped in his max-level Elder Lich avatar, and all the NPC inhabitants they created together become real.
>Protag now has a horrifying appearance that sends most people fleeing in terror, has lost half of his senses, and all of his emotions have been dulled. But he doesn't have time to process this because...
>Since it was an evil-themed RP guild, most of the NPCs are evil. The protag is ridiculously paranoid (he played a high-level D&D wizard, after all) and thinks the NPCs will kill him if he ever drops the act of being an inscrutable evil overlord. So he acts very intimidating on the outside, but half of his narration consists of [screams internally].
>At the same time, the NPCs remind him of his old guildmates. In his grief he loves them like children, nieces and nephews.
>The NPCs decide to conquer the world for him, and he kind of gets swept up in the flow.

Another reason to watch it is the walking, talking reaction image generator known as Albedo

Did someone say "actually good and fun VRMMO manga"?

No? Huh, must've been the rats.

Shinji, is that you?

I forget, was that LN a ripoff of Only Sense Online or was it the other way around?

I don't remember, but even if VRMMO Ossan is a rip-off of Only Sense, who says that the rip-off can't be better than the original?
And it's got manga adaptation a while ago too.

It's how you're supposed to roleplay Low DEX high STR.

Any character with DEX 5 or more points less than their STR should be going around like everything is made of paper and eggshells, making rolls for things they don't normally roll for like picking up tankards without crushing them in their grasp or opening doors without utterly destroying them.

>Any character with DEX 5 or more points less than their STR
Did you have a stroke writing this?
You could've just as easily written "any character with STR exceeding DEX by 5 or more".

I see where you're coming from but it makes little sense. Dex is mostly precision, agility etc. A character with 18 (superhuman) strength but 12 (above average) dexterity shouldn't be walking around on eggshells all the time. That eggshell thing depends on high strength and low restraint or understanding of their strength (not expressable in stats).

I feel like I read somewhere that the manga fucked up the story somehow. Is that true?

yep. Nothing of any importance happened.

It's an interesting take on a tired and formulaic concept. Overlord does the whole 'Trapped in an MMO' thing a lot better than the other shows in that subgenre, which admittedly isn't saying a whole lot, but you know. It largely has a different focus.

It's fairly interesting to note that there are some actual character arcs in there, and they have some significant depth, which is somewhat unique for Nippon media in general since the Japs tend to prefer their power fantasy animu relatively static and tamed, essentially, dare I say it, bland. Firstly, the main character is actually evil. Not angsty, so that the self-insert viewer can pretend they are a badass antihero type, but straight up, puppy kicking, grandmother extorting evil, and completely unrepentant in that respect. He's not a character who is meant to be looked to as a role model of any sort, as such, or even empathised with. So, having totally disconnected him from any sort of audience insertion, the author was free to explore a lot of less well known aspects. This applies mainly to Momonga, but in fact can be seen in essentially all of the characters.

Hence why the main character, while personable, comes off as completely pathetic despite being fun to watch.

Powerlevel battles aren't the point of the show.

He just did whatever the fuck he thought was cool. It's effective enough, but only because he's not fighting other players and he's max level in a world where most everything is mook tier.

I mean, it did unlock some cool abilities which nobody else found, but TGOALID is stated to be of only limited usefulness in pvp due to the abundance of autolife abilities.

But that's wrong. The Goal of All Life is Death is something he chanced upon via his build which removes ALL resistance to instant death from EVERYTHING in it's effect. He didn't pump everything into instakills, he pumped everything into necromancy and lich stuff because he wanted to roleplay a necromantic lich. The instakill thing was a coincidence.

>Firstly, the main character is actually evil.

Tired of this meme.

Shit. I never realised the lyrics of the OP literally describe Momonga's character arc from start to finish.

Shalltear has some good reactions as well. Aura best girl. There is no worst girl.

Show me another anime protagonist who is unambiguously evil.

>another

That implies Ainz is evil. He isn't.

Are you just trying to be contrary? He's textbook neutral evil. Every single otherwise good act he performs is either a long-term manipulation or based in paranoia and fear of retribution.

Just because he doesn't murder kittens 100% of the time he is on screen doesn't make him any less of a blatant psychopath with access to reality distorting magic. Okay, he might start true neutral, but by the end of the third novel he has plunged into the deep end of the alignment pool without any remorse because he literally cannot feel empathy, and it only goes further downhill from there.

Have you only watched the anime or something? Did you forget the part where he kills 250 000 people and doesn't feel even slightly bad about it?

>holding a shitty mmo hostage by being desperate and never wanting to let it go is considered evil

yikes

>I really don't see the appeal of overlord
I love it because of Demiurge's, and to a lesser extent, the other minions, continual ability to interpret the most banal comments from Ainz as height of absolute EVIL, and Ainz's continual attempts to play catch up and act the proper part of evil overlord.

Emotion dulling is a powerful thing.

>Every single otherwise good act he performs is either a long-term manipulation or based in paranoia and fear of retribution.

Lord Ainz does not do things out of fear and paranoia. All of his acts are part of a long term plan that not even the wisest of sages can fully phantom.

The manga skips most of the actually-evil stuff Nazerick does and replaces it with comedy. Heck, even the anime doesn't go into it as much as the LNs.

Like the whole
>Ainz: "Tell me Demiurge, where did you find materials for this parchment? It's surprising that there was something which holds magic so well."
>Demiurge: *grins darkly* "Two-legged sheep. We have constructed a farm where we use regeneration magic to ensure a steady harvest."
conversation

In the LN Ainz is aware of Demiurge's sadism and starts to realise that "two-legged sheep" is probably a euphemism, but drops that line of thought because he needs scrolls and it's no good getting worked up about where they're coming from.
In the anime Ainz just says "Huh, never heard of that monster".
In the manga the conversation never happens at all.

he was a celeryman who was middle class enough to own a computer

>It was his old kitten, put to sleep with him.
>He goes to his old lich buddy to fix it.
>Is actually quite distressed about the whole ordeal, it was named Lord Fluffywhiskers!

>He's textbook neutral evil

He genuinely cares for his subjects and is willing to put his life on the line for them. An "evil" person wouldn't do that.

Well that sucks. Do you know of a good site to read the LN at? I've never really read any before.

You should try reading the thread, retard.

Yes they would. A loving father can also be a torturer who takes pride (and a bit of delight) in his work, humming happily as he shoves a red-hot iron pocker into some guy's wife because said guy was labelled a traitor.

Not him, but I should warn you that due to the nature of Japanese language (kanji difficulty tiers) and LNs being oriented and marketed mostly to teens, the writing of almost every LN is ATROCIOUS. It is incredibly stilted in the original language, and the translation process only makes it worse.
That said, BakaTsuki is a good place to start when looking for LNs.

You're either viewing good and evil as black and white that can be objectively quantified or applying D&D alignment where it doesn't belong. Either way, you're wrong. Ainz isn't evil.

>guy doesn't care about something as much as me
>better insult him, that'll change his mind

Never mind that the LN actually shows us that "farm" first-hand. It has stuff like evil clowns who force people to eat their own babies.

And while Ainz never visited the farm himself, he knew the clown's personality and that it was working there.

You're describing the "Stupid Evil" alignment, aka the reason why so many DMs ban evil PCs.
>Of course I betrayed the others, I'm evil! :^)

Evil people are entirely self serving and would betray others if it furthered their goals.

Helping out people who you know will help you out later, is being self-serving

Source?

It says its been taken down on bakatsuki