Flames of War General: Leopards and Panthers and Tigers Oh My Edition

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

[Vimeo] The Fallen of World War II

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

Other urls found in this thread:

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=516
us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/italian-airborne
wwpd.net/2016/05/wwpd-why-we-fight-episode-1_25.html?m=1
docs.google.com/forms/d/1NiDdgaqJOSrTlVyik5IVJCaK2wUCdLSIvcPCoNY-IYw/viewform
flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Scenarios/Amphibious-Assaults.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anybody playing in any games on or around D-Day? My FLGS is running Firestorm: Overlord but I must admit I'm not that familiar with it. Anyone ever played it before?

Oversaw one, played two airborne missions recently. The rules are pretty simple, but it takes a lot of effort for the Defenders to win with the constant recycling of attacking troops. If the Attacker knows what they're doing reasonable, they can easily score a 4-3.

Never played a FIrestorm campaign, but I have played a D-Day game themed around Juno Beach two years ago.

We'd set up the table on june 5th with three of us together, pooling our collections.
The two other guys played that day, resulting in a German win.
On the next day, I played another round against the German player.

In that game, some less-effective defensive placement allowed my AVsRE to move up fairly safely on one flank, breaching fortification after fortification and pushing into the hinterlands supported by infantry even though my Shermans were getting stuck on the soft sands of the beach.
The StuGs trying to reinforce made things a bit scary for a few turns, but the breach in the coastal defenses was already too big at that point.

It was a lot of fun, with some interesting mechanics and a very different feel compared to regular FoW games.

My mate and I usually do a Beach landing on/around June 6th, but he's had a death in the family so no-go this year as he'll be elsewhere.

I've played a few parachute landing missions in the past, but I've never played the beach landing missions.

The para-drop missions seemed a bit lopsided to me. I always won them a bit too easily. Perhaps my opponent wasn't a skilled enough player, or perhaps we were playing it wrong, but I always found the mission to be fairly easy for the paratroopers.

Depends, if you're British and you're doing a Coupe-De-Main, you're definitely in a good position to do a lot of damage first turn. Glider assaults are pretty easy to put directly onto target if you're good with a ruler and if the wind favours you.
However, other paratroopers have to deal with fucking Scattered reserves, so if you're like me and have literally never been lucky with them, you have your second, and most important infantry platoon turning up on the other side of the board to do sweet fuck all.

My buddies and I plan on doing a Crete style landing with gliders.
What do you suggest we do to make it more fair?

Well if they're playing the New Zealanders, they can't start on the board because of incompetent commanders failing to hold most important zone on the island.

I've never played a glider landing, so I can't offer any advice there. Sorry.

>paratroopers have to deal with fucking Scattered reserves, so if you're like me and have literally never been lucky with them, you have your second, and most important infantry platoon turning up on the other side of the board to do sweet fuck all.

I guess it was just incredibly lucky reserve rolls that won me those games.

Not everything showed up exactly where needed, but enough stuff showed up where it could still be useful.

SOON

Has there been a leak/preview?

Only hints back in December that both the British and the West Germans were coming soon to Team Yankee.

And the West Germans were officially announced a few days ago.

So possibly by the end of the year we might have British for Team Yankee.

I'm kinda interested in team yankee but i'm not quite sure to invest since all local wargamers in my aera are fucking gay.

Does it really matter who they choose to stick their dicks in, if you're only going to play tabletop games with them?

Clearly you've never played YMCA rules.

nah just asking what the game is like before i invest to see if it's worth it?

Nah, I prefer Odin rules, even if it is a bit expensive.

I'm running an event at our club on the 5th.

Two games, first round is 4 singles games - two beach landings, one paradrop, and one D+1 inland game for the two players who really, really wanted to bring armour. With the exception of the armour players - and even they are sticking to Normandy lists - these are historical matchups, with the 1st US ID taking on the 352. Inf Div; 3rd Canadian facing 716. Inf Div, and 6th Airborne facing elements of 716. and 21. Pz.

Round two is a 4vs4 on a large board - TBD whether this is 8'x6', 8'x9', or even 12'x8'.

For both rounds, I'm trying to make things a bit fun and varied. For Round 1, there's a Supreme Commander on each side, who will draw random "support powers", for want of a better term. These include Air Support, NGFS, extra reserves, weapon upgrades, extra fortifications, and Shore Batteries - obviously depending on faction.

For Round 2, it'll be based on the "Last day in combat" mission from Cassino, with random events, plus Tactical Edges from BG&G, and a Blind Domination element.

Should be great. Might possibly be terrible. Will report back in.

What would you like to know about Team Yankee?

>Clearly you've never played YMCA rules.

Are those the ones where you have to dress up as a cowboy, a cop, a construction worker, a biker, and an Indian?

What i would like to know is general flow of the game, mission stucture and how much of a simulation is it, does it feel like a wargame with more WAR or a really gamey version pushing miniatures around the table like all of the skirmish games that are around these days?

I'd say it feels a lot more 'real' than say, 40k, or any skirmish game that I know of. The armies feel realistic, and the general 'story' of each game tends to make sense.

Here's hoping; I'll probably pick up some of ArmiesArmy's british to get the infantry painted up ready... Tanks I can wait for in plastic, but the infantry are going to be metal either way and take forever to paint so I might as well get a head start. Goes well with my winter-themed soviet tanks, too.

So I just found out that the Nachtjager list for the 11th armored can get Wasps, which there was no way to get with the earlier Market Garden and Overlord versions. Which means there's now a way for me to field not-shit (ie: Pioneer) flamethrowers. Does anyone here have any experience using Wasps or other flametanks? Needing to get within assault range the turn before you flame seems pretty risky with a 0/0/0 vehicle.

And am I correct in assuming that the "upgrade a universal carrier with..." upgrade options don't apply when the UCs are replaced with Wasps? And if not, is there any reason to keep the little buggers around after they blow their load?

It's not a hyper-realistic simulation, but it feels more real than the other popular war games.

Real world strategy and tactics tend to translate well to the table top.

Maneuvering and lines of fire are highly important.

>Does anyone here have any experience using Wasps or other flametanks?
>Needing to get within assault range the turn before you flame seems pretty risky with a 0/0/0 vehicle.
I've used them some and they're an excellent tool when trying to set up an assault.
The nigh-guaranteed pin and removal of a bunch of defending teams makes it a lot easier to get stuck in.

The limited effective range is a lot less of an issue if you're moving them up in support of your assaulting elements, probably a Rifle Platoon or two.
Also try to move from cover to cover to get within striking range.

Something I haven't tried myself but dearly want to is to use them in a Night Attacking infantry force.
They're fast enough that you can probably catch up to the spearheading infantry for an assault while it's still dark.
Since flamers ignore most to-hit penalties, they're an even more reliable way to pin the enemy before your charge there.

>And am I correct in assuming that the "upgrade a universal carrier with..." upgrade options don't apply when the UCs are replaced with Wasps? And if not, is there any reason to keep the little buggers around after they blow their load?
I believe you can't upgrade them, since they're no longer Universal Carriers but Wasp Carriers.
Kinda sad, since many of them were actually equipped with an MG in addition to the flamer.

Still, you might want to keep em around and hide them to maintain your platoon count, assuming the enemy doesn't have something that can hunt them down easily.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you might want to save the shooting from one or two carriers for another turn, especially since it's not always possible to get all of them into range.

If you move the Wasps up with their support, you can probably makes sure that charging them will be a bad idea (the chargin platoon will get pinned, and be out of their foxholes, allowing you to pour in all the more fire before your own charge)

>They're fast enough that you can probably catch up to the spearheading infantry for an assault while it's still dark.
You do remember that nothing may move more than 20cm during night, right? (except possibly crazy japanese)

>You do remember that nothing may move more than 20cm during night, right? (except possibly crazy japanese)
Yup, but the infantry only move 15cm anyway.

Unless the enemy is miles away (in that case, what the hell are you doing?), you should generally be able to set up a turn-3 assault on a critical position, probably near or on an objective and then push on to win the game.

Man; I hope TY brits are soon. I've got some figures already and I could just play them as americans but I'm leary of basing them wrong.

Chieftans are such god damn gorgeous tanks

Well, if West Germans are June, July, August, then I'd assume the absolute earliest you'd see British might be September.

But I'd still say November or December is most likely.

>Kinda sad, since many of them were actually equipped with an MG in addition to the flamer.
I've only found a few pictures of ones with a MG, compared to pictures of MG-less Wasps. While I think they'll probably be enough to convince the local group to let me add some MGs, if you've got a good source for that I could probably strengthen my case.

The FoW website page talking about the Wasp even says "It also has a Hull MG to represent the additional Bren gun armed crewman in the back." flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=516

This is of course not backed up by the rules, but I'm pretty sure I can convince them with this.

Anyone else running a D-Day game?

>But I'd still say November or December is most likely.

Given BF's usual delays, I'd say December, maybe January is more realistic.

Anyone here play Italians? I was thinking of starting up a paracadutisti Mid-War/Late-War list for my Axis army.

is Naval gunfire support worth it? I'm thinking of using it for my marine company.

Well it got Nerfed, but consider that Naval Funfire was the Necron Fliers of Flames of War for a while there in that they were the most broken piece of shit there was allowed.

I started with a single painted rifle team about 20 days ago. Now I have nearly 1000 points of a Rifle Company painted and based. I think I'm losing control of my life.

midwar folgore paras are my shit. i play them in Bolt action too

they don't have huge numbers but they're pretty decent, and i have had some pretty fantastic victories with them. Its like running any other italian force but without 8million bayonets

Sounds like something I'll look into then. Where do you get your miniatures at? I noticed Battlefront makes them, but Eureka also has a pretty large line of folgore as well.

oh shit man i wanna return the HMG crew i got from battlefront. They're pulling all kinds of weird poses. It looks like they're all trying to do Yoga. Go Eureka as much as possible. Battlefront doesn't intend on recasting any of their non german/british/us/soviet forces any time soon too so generally you'll get huge mold lines and so on, in addition to awkward poses.

If you go for late war RSI paras they're okay too but honestly if you want a late war Italian list cyclists are the fucking best (every unit has recon abilities).

Its a shame Italy doesn't get as much love as they were easily the most fabulous looking army of the second world war.

Sorry for beeing off topic but I have to ask user; which manufacturer of minis do you use for your BA Folgores, a Clubmate like to play some too?

Not that user, but Warlord makes an entire line of Italian paratroopers for Bolt Action.

us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/italian-airborne

i use warlords. i think they're cast very well but i noticed one of the paras (out of a total of 22 in the box) had a really weird block of metal under his arms that was too big to but away easily or hide with a paintjob.

Pic is my command team. sorry for the shitty lighting and paint job but you get an idea of the quality you're looking at.

If you're really obsessed with history it might annoy you that these models are probably "nembo" division and their uniforms are ever so slightly different. but if you're a well adjusted person its fine for divisione folgore too

>was too big to but away easily or hide with a paintjob.

sorry, i meant too big to cut away or hide with a paint job

So, Armoured Cars, do you use them in your lists or even play an Armoured Car Squadron? Which ones do you like using? Which (if any) do you loathe facing?

They're good units. Cheap, the recce is vital, and they're great at harassing guns, exposed infantry, and mech units. 222s or 8 rads for me, although I've had some success with my Finns with various looted Soviet ACs.

Armoured cars are good as a recce addition but I've never seen a squadron do very well, usually they don't have the heavy hitting power to take out tanks or the RoF to take out infantry.

Though your point stands, my Inns of Court Daimler Is have actually earned something of a fierce reputation in my gaming group as tank killers, mainly because they seem to get all of my good rolls.

Do you rate them above infantry or scout car/Jeep recce options though? A lot of the people in my gaming group seem to prefer the cheaper Jeeps and scout cars or the harder to dislodge infantry, only taking armoured cars when there's no other option for the list.

I generally use either Universal Carriers or Stuarts because those are the models I have, but one of our local German players has done pretty well playing a Puma-based German list.

They can certainly be viable, as long as you remember to have appropriate support units to do the things they can't.

I've never liked infantry much. Too slow, too little firepower, too fragile to most of the other front liners.

Jeeps aren't bad. The US is well served by them, and the Brits get some nice ones, if they're not using Universal Carriers.

AC's are just flexible, cheap, and require just a bit more bother to kill than most people are capable of putting to them, at a given time.

Oh, for sure. They just seem to be one of the weaker list varieties.

Yeah, they require a bit of daring and a lot of luck to do well with. I wonder if that's something that could or even should be fixed within the rules of FoW though. After all, the fact that you're totally outmatched and trying to balance flying by the seat of your pants and methodical, cautious planning is half the appeal of a recce company.

I've included 8Rads and Pumas in my German lists. They're not bad.

I haven't tried Armored Cars with any other nation yet though.

As for the US, I like their Jeep-based recon options. Light, fast, and with enough 50cals to make infantry and light vehicles not want to get too close.

>I've included 8Rads and Pumas in my German lists.
Speaking of the gods of armored cars, are there any German lists that let you field them as your combat platoons with more than 2 Pumas per section? Or was that just not something the germans did?

So apparently the WWPD guys have rebranded and relaunched with a new podcast and a new crew refocused on Flames of War.

wwpd.net/2016/05/wwpd-why-we-fight-episode-1_25.html?m=1

Nah, pumas were used as recon in those small units only.

Damn. There goes another potential solution to my dream list of a heavy tank anvil and light tank hammer. Damn the brits for not using Chuchills and Cromwells together, and damn the germans for not using larger units of Pumas.

Have you considered Pershings + M4A3(late)s?

Pumas aren't light tanks though, and really shouldn't be used as such.

Sure their gun is AT 9, but you can't make use of their recon abilities if your firing their main gun.

I'll admit I had not, partially because I'm not fond of Americans in FoW and how they get pretty much everything (oh, the US fielded a one-off prototype tank and there's something some crews did once or twice? Here's a mountain of options to represent that. The british commonly had a backup Bren gun on their wasps and had over a hundred cromwells with thicker welded hulls? Too fucking bad). If I did get over my bitterness, I'd probably end up making it 2 Pershings and a minimum number of Jumbo/E8s with Chaffe platoons to do the majority of the flanking.

Yeah, if you're using them as recce added to a force then the gun is there to tempt you, not to do anything. When they make up the combat platoons of your force, you're going to be shooting with them at some point.

I completely understand.

But Chaffee/Pershing or Stuart/Pershing is probably your best bet for a Light/Heavy combo.

Or maybe Panzer III/Panther if there is a list that lets you take them together.

Not sure if there are good Soviet or British Light/Heavy combinations.

For basing - all you do is put some PVA down, then dunk in sand, then paint and add static grass?

I use Vallejo white pumice and paint it brown. But after that I just use PVA and static grass. I keep my basing pretty simple.

Fortress Italy LW Italians are great. There's an option for some Italian platoons to be included among some German companies (forgot which ones exactly), and they aren't even counted as Allied platoons. They have a high ROF and they're excellent at going 1 v 1 against other infantry platoons.

Thanks, user.

I use Rhinox Hide (Vallejo Burnt Umber would be the equivalent I think) for the dirt if youre curious. I find the darker brown contrasts nicely with the models.

Gotta get me some of that pumice!

Lets try this again
>docs.google.com/forms/d/1NiDdgaqJOSrTlVyik5IVJCaK2wUCdLSIvcPCoNY-IYw/viewform
If you want to submit Questions for Panzerfunk to be read on air, here you go. This way we can stop making up questions.

>If you want to submit Questions for Panzerfunk to be read on air, here you go.

Nice.

>This way we can stop making up questions.

One time. Once.

And it's not like we get fan mail anyway.

We just pull things we see here.

I'm really eager for you guys to do another episode. Just shot you off a question too.

Not saying anything, buuuuuuut

My prefered method:

First glue the figures to the base (but not guns or other stuff without bases), then add filler to get an even surface. Add PVA and sand for some surface texture, then another layer of watered down PVA to seal the sand (and soften the texture somewhat. Add guns and stuff that will be on top of the ground, as well as trees if I'm in the mood for that. Then, paint it all. Finally, static grass and foliage, followed by heavy sealing by varnish.

My real life situation has been so fucked up I haven't had a chance to organize any recording recently. It's been near-constant family medical crisises for the past month or so... It's been exhausting and depressing, and left me with almost no spare time. And is threatening to send me to the fucking hospital with a nervous fucking breakdown.

That being said, there is a slightly outdated episode of Eagles' Nest I need to upload.

And we're trying to schedule our next recording session for Panzerfunk.

Keep an eye on this thread for more info.

Take care Eagles, all the best mate and I hope things improve for you.

Thanks.

I don't mean to turn this into my blog or anything, but I needed to put that out there. I've been busy dealing with a lot of urgent time-consuming energy-sapping real world crap.

It's not that I don't want to do Panzerfunk. I do. I desperately do. Chatting with my fellow nerds reenergizes me.

I just haven't had the time.

Making my first TY Soviet list, 75 points:

T-72 HQ x1
T-72 x6
T-72 x5
ZSU Shilka x4
2S1 Gvozdika x3
SU-25 x2
Mi-24 Hind x2

Total 75 pts, any suggestions and comments?

>Gvozdika

People are still split on whether or not artillery is worth the points in Team Yankee, but other than that, I'd say it looks like a solid list.

I thought smoke bombardment can be useful, even if it it's once per game, and Gvozdika direct shot is pretty powerful...

True.

I say give it a try and see what works. They're only 5 points for the 3.

Be strong, sir! There are lots of faceless people pulling for you!

To the user that suggested making a base and modular mounting for the immobile version of the Bofors using parts from the Bofors SP kit, thank you. The first of two has turned out well, and now I just need to make the second and a command team for the emplacement ones.

And of course I forgot my pic. Still need to get my hands on some magnets for it, so it'll stay together under something other than gravity.

noice

Noice indeed, those look a lot better than mine.

Looking pretty good. Simple but effective.

>Be strong, sir! There are lots of faceless people pulling for you!

Thanks. As odd as this sounds, comments like that help more than you'd think.

Mate. Sometimes I namefag. But that doesn't matter. Count me as one more person wishing you strength, and thinking of you.

FWIW, I lost my Grandfather this year. It was shit. We were actually pretty close, and I miss him a lot. Things are still shit. It's okay not to be okay though. And there are plenty of people here who are happy to talk to you and be here for you.

I feel you too; been one shitty year. Best of luck, Eagles.

Can anyone tell me what the "DD Tank" rule actually does?

Makes them able to be used in a Amphibious Assault mission.
flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Scenarios/Amphibious-Assaults.pdf

They're amphibious tanks, although I might be forgetting some special conditions.

DD (aka Duplex Drive or Donald Duck) Shermans were modified with a skirt that could be raised, steerable screws and a rudder so they could sort-of sail in water that wasn't too rough.
Simply put, you can drive em across a river to support a crossing op or drive em off a landing craft near the short to support an amphibious landing.

They're actually not amphibious. I think it's because it takes time and special equipment to raise the screens, put the screws into position etc.

That isn't a BMP.

Got some sweet new japanese kits to build