Dearth of Gods [General]

As we prepare for our next offering we prepare for what could be the first real chapter into Dearth of Gods.

Previous Thread:
Reference sheet for those interested.

What the game is shaping to be.
To compare a game with another game; Dearth of Gods begins to depart from Floors in a way that Floors plays vertically and Dearth of Gods plays horizontally. Not in a physical sense but in terms of progression. As players progress the campaign via clearing of floors and ascending the stairs, Dearth of Gods will simply progress the game by turns or sets of turns called " Chapters" using the Chapters system major events and schedules will be arranged by turn counter and have both a "Live" point and a "Termination" point.

As an example, we are currently in Turn 40 of the game but at Turn 60 various key events will turn over if not attended to unless of course players are already unraveling that event before them. In which case, the Termination point will yield to what was observed of the events as it unfolds before the player. Meanwhilst other key events could occur between these turns such as an unannounced faction raid or perhaps NPC's passing through like the many other times it's happened. Players are free to involve themselves in this narrative or not however such events will ultimately affect the status of the world at large.

To play into this theme, teleportation and travel will be limited and time management will become key to most progressions. Travelling between Sacred Pyres is allowed as well as miniature prayer shrines. Items may also be used to travel back to these ley points but will be limited in number or expensive to procure in large amounts.

Team Play:
Despite the Skirmish format DoGs doesn't force players to work together as a team. It is possible to play Solo however note that this game will never "balance" itself to make encounters fair. PVP is also allowed as "laws" are only enforced IG

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oXp8Th41rBs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Since this is a Gen thread, discussion is open and questions can be answers in short order.

Oh and on a slight aside , anyone have any builds/classes they would like to see in the future ? I know there is currently a plan for a STR/TEK class but another one would not hurt to implement.

Lightning bros. Alternatively, a greatweapon class like the Onion knights? Not sure how well those would work in this game though.

Couldn't a great weapon character be done just by picking up skills?

I wanna see a STR/WIL class. Cause paladins yo!

I think... I think I really wanna make a class that uses great shields now >:

How will you handle players splitting up that much with teleportation?

Also, LUK builds when?

Normally Quest design dictates that players are only truly able to go to places that were already uncovered by their *spark* or other players [all warrior spirits are linked in the eyes of the Shrine Maiden it seems] Newer zones were either already predrawn, tailored towards a main questline or are simply blocked off due to circumstantial flags [ which honestly will have to be on the nose obvious otherwise people would have to believe that some legitimately explorative sections are simply closed to them by mcguffium bars.]

Luk builds I'm looking at would have to involve a more fleshed out item generation and trape tile system otherwise I'm just resolving them how I normally would which is currently too swingy time consuming . ..

Ideas for LUK builds include;
> Bard/Heralds
> Thief
> Spirit Contractors

Any idea for a Deprived class for those of us who like fun

Can I increase my LUK?

A few ideas:
- A mercenary/ronin/samurai class that specializes in martial/common weapon mastery. Would focus on STR/TEK, maybe SPD or END
- A +2 TEK class. Mimicking your stat bonuses for other classes, this class could also get +1 PER/ +1 SPD, which makes me think of a bard. Do you plan to add music as another skillset? I've recently watched LPs of Orcarina of Time/Wind Waker and special music could be used to interact with the environment or spirits to further exploration in this world.
- I'm interested in seeing what other types of magic you have in mind.
- Lanterns that store fire, can be used to light rooms, act as a pyromancy source, or as a flamethrower in combat. Useful for a guide class.
- An alchemy class could take various materials from the maps and create items. A special crafting tool (magical?) and some abilities would help with this. A potions/firebombs/corpse-mannikin creator.

Will there be weapon skills or killing blows for melee grunts?

Add exotic to the merc/ronin/samurai skillset. These guys specialize in mastering physical weapons like fighters in DnD. So if you add any weapon maneuvers in the future, they could go here.

>specializes in martial/common weapon mastery

You mean like Knights?

don't knights only get one specific weapon type like swords or spears?

They have the weapon rank skill that pertains to a single specific weapon type and represents a knights specialization yes.

They also have knight training. Which, among other things, applies to "Attacking with a martial weapon."

So with their specialized weapon they get a +2. With any other martial weapon they get a +1.

Prisoner was such a build.

has nothing on them except a set of chains and some rags?

Chains and a torture device that restricts X. X determines their crime. Their crime determines what they will be good at. [if it got up to that level of granularity]

That would be pretty cool.

Something like a berserker or viking available?

feels like an obvious shoe in.

what about cavalry?

mounted combat has yet to be considered. Since it is unsure if horses go to hell

Calvary sounds awful tbqh.

There are 7 stats with two classes having several ways to utilize said stats to attack better. What about a hybrid TEK/END melee mage tank? They gain spells by taking damage.

Casters are probably fleshed out enough as is but we haven't seen the other schools of magic. I'd like to see Jakob and Trisha's spell list.

Jakob is actually interesting as he derives his "spells" from crafting and alquemy it is possible that he might be a dark hunter or inquisitor type class despite being incompetent. Tisha is very clearly a cleric of Luna. One of the twin apollos. A tek based mage build would clearly rely on technical weapons as well as spells to get by. An end-based magical class seems to fall neatly within the the realm of Clerics.

bumping for now, between this and the release of Various Games (tm) it seems lines have been busy for quite some time.

Bamp

Same IRC? Or a new one?

#skirmish rather than #ironhearts

Gratzi.

It's kind of dead :(

Everyone is playing overwatch

finals and mid terms, depending on which schedule system is being followed.

I'm not.

Kind of a general question. How many players do the thread attract and what does one require to join a game? I have observed this and other games around and I gotta say my curiosity is thoroughly picked.

Another question. Who does the art for this and can I have their autograph? I love the sprites and the sheet is damn pretty.

That sounds fun.
I really enjoy slow tanks that have to time their attacks. Perhaps greathammers and halberds + great shields with an opt for a small and fast, but low-damage weapon?

youtu.be/oXp8Th41rBs

You know what must be done.

Varies, Monday is currently capping players at 20 to keep up processing speed such as it is. So getting in is a first come first serve affair. That said prolonged inactivity (2-3 turns) will get you the boot opening the space for others. All you need to join though is a stat block and name/trip. Feel free to roll your stats now, rules are in the OP image.

Monday does all the things himself don't know about autographs though.

i can answer this question-query!

Very many players, from 5 to 10 to 20 to even 39 (which is record).

But it's not so important, because it depends on MAPSIZE and ALLOWANCE and so can vary a lot. To join a game in progress you make a character according to the sheet with and then you sacrifice a goat but the goat sacrifice is entirely optional. So you just make a character and

>deploy

Greentext indicates action, and because you deployed with a new character you are in. That is the extent of the requirements.

The art is from Monday, who is sort of amazing.

Wouldn't more classes just increase complexity at no gain?

What you really want is more skills like Lowly Upbringing and Fireball vs Soul Arrow that prioritizes different stats and weapon set ups.

Thanks, friends. I will take some time to understand it better and getting rolling once I am not at class procrastinating in my cellphone. Hope we can soon join in jolly cooperation.

Classes aren't exactly treated as divisive mechanical packages but instead provide players with an amble starting point towards a playstyle they wish to have. In late game it is possible for stats and skills of other classes to start bleeding into one another while truly strange and esoteric set ups are still capable of existing.

Adding more stuff like skills is great and all but even those have to fall under a package of some sort that can be gained only by pariticipating in a class's career.

Indeed some classes literally only exist because their societal counterparts willed them to existence.

For Clerics, will it be possible to gain faith for other deities asides from the one chosen at character creation? Also how would they go about gaining more divinities for a certain deity?

Like everything in this game, exploration and discovery tend to be the key steps in improving one's deciscion to progress. Gods are discoverable through shrines and altars. Other times the gods themselves offer up their services for small but committed quests while more capricious ones reject those who fall into shallow associations with other dieties or its followers.

How about a skill set "luckomancy"? Not necessarily practiced by a person with a strong luck stay but someone who is looking to manipulate probability. This could include taking someone else's luck or causing bad luck. A few passives could require souls to power (we can skip how much luck those souls might have for the sake of bookkeeping)

Also, I think the luckomancy skill set should not rely on the luck stat.