Hey, Veeky Forums

Hey, Veeky Forums
I've been looking through RPG systems trying to find something simple to run a fantasy style game. Something that can be used to introduce new players to roleplaying, and also something that doesn't require 10+ books worth of knowledge, or having to stat out every enemy.

Recently I found this, Tiny Dungeon. It seems alright, but the magic scrolls and spell touched kinda seem odd. I've looked at a couple other simple systems but i'm open to suggestions.

TL;DR looking for a simple fantasy system, good for introducing new players, characters that don't take an hour to make, stuff like that. Hit me up with your recommendations.

Other urls found in this thread:

tinyd10.wordpress.com/
drivethrurpg.com/product/172953/2D10-Rpg
drivethrurpg.com/product/170294/Risus-The-Anything-RPG
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Labyrinth Lord and Basic Fantasy RPG are both free and very simple to learn. They're both based on 1st Edition D&D. They both have monster manuals, free adventures, etc.

PS - And making a character in both systems takes like 10 or 15 minutes tops. Just roll stats, pick a race/class, plug in bonuses, roll for gold, pick gear -- done.

Dungeon World.

What kind of idiot doesn't know about Dungeon World.

Elves are literally 100% redundant with humans in that RPG.

The race thing seemed okay. Obviously elves are useless, and Salimar are OP. Just carry a torch and jam it in your side to heal up.

What are people's opinions on Warrior, Rogue, Mage? It looks interesting as it's got a simple variant of stats, don't like the magic though.

Seconding these. They're very simple and if you don't feel like creating anything yourself there's a multitude of high quality pre-written adventures out there.

I'll put some systems I have here.

Sellsword uses only 2d6, and allows you to roll some interesting random characters. I could have fewer abilities, and I think the author is updating the system. I don't particularly like the idea of one-handed weapons cause minor damage.

The kind that doesn't use reddit and/or is an elitist.

Wanderlust is an even more narrative world of dungeons hack. The characters are easy to build and the sheet is tiny. The magic system is very interesting, although one may find it too open to interpretation. It doesn't have rules for general equipment, which can be a problem, and the rules of injuries are very lazy.

>tfw i found out about dw during a one time general on Veeky Forums

okay

> I've been looking through RPG systems trying to find something simple to run a fantasy style game. Something that can be used to introduce new players to roleplaying, and also something that doesn't require 10+ books worth of knowledge, or having to stat out every enemy.
O.S.R.

Beyond the Wall is almost perfect for new players. LotFP is also good, but some people are not amused by the whole METAL thing.

Tavern Tales

Then it is a bad recomendation.
Even worse being a PbtA game.

Projecting much, aren't we? Or are you going to call me virt, too?

Whitehack is another hack DnD with interesting mechanics group replaces races and skills, and classes a little different from the norm. It can be a bit anti intuitive because it rolls under, but overall it is a very interesting system.

OP said he found the magic system Tiny Dungeon strange. I thought that of Wanderlust could end up pleasing him.

Isn't there a fantasy hack of lasers and feelings?

Yes, Swords and Scrolls.

Wow, that's retarded.

OP here, it is kinda interesting how they work the patterns and such. I'm not a huge fan of spells per day as someone playing a wizard. So the Patterns are kinda interesting, and the Tiny Dungeon 'Spell Touched' is very open, but there are no degrees of mastery, so it's purely up to the DM to say if you can or can't attempt something, That and the use of scrolls which are stronger but they give no examples, basically piggybacking on players' knowledge of other systems spells and magic.

But yeah, going through all the suggestions, they're pretty rad so far.

Its a useful game when you have to run something on the fly and have a bunch of new people. I use it at my university's gaming cons a lot.

tinyd10.wordpress.com/

drivethrurpg.com/product/172953/2D10-Rpg

drivethrurpg.com/product/170294/Risus-The-Anything-RPG

Lots of options.

Already mentioned is DW, which despite the shitfit on the internet about it, is pretty much exactly what you seem to be looking for.

There's also most OSR, B/X, stuff like that. Beyond The Wall has some really great, party involved but still simple character and world creations stuff that's worth looking at for just that. Monsters in osr are easy; HD,attacks, dmg, AC, fluff.

Barbarians of Lemuria is a dirt simple swords and sorcery game. Good times, easy money.

In A Wicked Age is also very rules light but mostly narrative based. I like it a lot, but needs a bunch of faggots who like stories.

Scrolls and Swords is lasers and feelings, but with scrolls and... urm... swords.

With that retarded childrens art? You must have some GEEK friends, am I right?

Hi, virt

>dw
>light rules
>need another book to make the furst usable
Ayy

That doesn't make any sense. Why would you choose a number between 2 and 11 and then roll 1d6?

Also while more options are good, rolling 2d6 on those character options is going to give you a lot of wild priests and criminal monks. If you're going that way, you should just use a d12 for everything... which isn't a bad idea, actually. More room for player distinction than in base LoF.

>Elitist
>All sites but Veeky Forums are garbage
Nicely done.

Chose stat. If low swords, if high scrolls.
Do thing, roll dice, use mods if applicable.
If swords thing, try>#, if scroll thing try

Have you looked at Ryuutama yet?

Just googled it, it looks kinda interesting. How well does it play?

The normal LoF scale goes from 2-5. This document says you should go 2-11, but the dice rolling mechanic is still 'roll a d6.' The extra dice you roll as bonuses are not summed - you are looking for the number of successes across all dice, like in WoD or Shadowrun. There is no case where you could ever roll above a 6. What I'm saying is that, clearly, whoever created this pdf intended to adjust the dice rolling mechanic to 2d6 and forgot.

Haven't tried it myself yet but I have a campaign put together

Who the hell is virt?

Even if it was 2d6, you couldn't roll a fail for a swords roll. I think it was just a typo, it still works with d6 rolls.

lol, didn't even notice that. True though.

Eh. I've got a gaming weekend coming up with some friends, I'll try it with d12 rolls and see how it is.

The "roll +d6 if you're prepared or skiled" is also supposed to be +2d6... you're supposed to look for total successes across all your dice, not sum them together, as detailed below where it talks about how 'if one of your dice succeeds / if two of your dice succeeds'

Sorry, I'm being autistic, I know.

Beyond the Wall and other adventures.