Discuss

Discuss.

>measuring in fiat

clear loss

Loss

Gain in fiat, loss in Bitcoin.

>can't cash out, so made $0

If you're making less then reddit normies holding BTC you're at a loss.

Most people trade alts to acquire more BTC so a loss.

He made profit but made a losing trade

He lost almost 40% so yea

Yeah nasty loss

Does this idiot not realize that his scenario implies if he had simply held bitcoin he would have 55k? So he cucked himself out of more than $20,000

If you're a tax man that's a profit. I'd consider it a loss though.

So riddle me this Veeky Forums,

every btc pairing chart is on a downtrend. Does that not mean i should only hold btc?

>mfw this is somehow even a question

It's no wonder this market is so retarded.

pretty much

be honest here fags we all joined the crypto market to gain more fiat in the end we all cash out to fiat
of course if youre a daytrade memer you want to gain btc but in the long run it wont matter

It depends. Just be aware of BTC's volatility. At this point, for now, a BTC profit is always a long term fiat profit because it keeps increasing in value.

he lost 22 k .

why is he even asking that retarded question

how is it a gain in fiat either? He would have had 5 btc ($55k) if he had just held them.

all those months and he made a 60% gain in alts?

thats pretty terrible desu. if ur going to trade alts u need to be making big gains, otherwise hold BTC

He lost 2.9 BTC. Is he retarded?

He made 13k, BUT he lost out on 22k

>be honest here fags we all joined the crypto market to gain more fiat in the end we all cash out to fiat
I didn't, fiat is garbage. Once I'm rich I might cash out a couple million just because it'd be easier to diversify into bonds and the stock market(unless you can buy stocks with bitcoin by then) but I'll always keep most of my wealth in crypto.

Don't tell the jews but I cashed out 2 BTC last night

that means you SHOULD HAVE HELD btc
but now, the tides are turning

the new year is coming, and alt season is just beginning
convert back to btc now to get JUSTd twice, both ways.

What a retarded question. He made a trade in BTC and lost BTC. Yeah, his USD value went up overall but that happened anyway.

He has clearly lost a good amount of value.

What a stupid "dilemma"

Yes, currency pairings are a direct comparison of two currencies to eachother.

He made no profit.

this is the only correct answer unlike BTC maximalists want you to believe. It is true you would have been better just holding BTC though

He would have even more if it jumped into another coin that has performed better than Bitcoin, (see Minexcoin).

It all depends what time period you are looking relative to.

Ethereum has without a doubt outperformed Bitcoin from the start of the year.

Bitcoin obviously has outperformed it since June.

He made a loss. He lost BTC. At what price he cashes his BTC, if he does, depends if he makes a lose or profit in fiat.

the state of this god damn board, I can't wait for all of you to get ass raped by the tax man

Only correct answer.

According to the IRS, he made a profit.

That's the only thing that matters when doing your taxes.

if he cashed out to fiat he made 13k$
he would have made more holding BTC but he still made a profit.

It is supposed to be on BTC value. Not fiat.

I should've sold my bags on the first alt rise on May this year. I would;ve get 20 btc by now. I loss a lot because of not doing so.

wrong. he has gained a lot of profit, but not as much as he could have. still a net gain. only a total retard is thinking of this in terms of BTC

kek

win

But I think I won because I only invested 300usd to buy 0.5 btc in 2014. I am now in 5 btc area with alts in holding.

The IRS would say he made money, which is all that matters.

Missing out on gains does not equal losing money.

He made profit for tax purposes. All the IRS cares about is the "fair market value" in USD terms. But in actuality, he kek'd himself. Now he has to pay a higher tax rate (short term gains vs. long term) and he made less gains.

>dilema

I just jumped right into Nirvana and Buddhahood

bought Ark and Lumens, no questions asked

He’s dumbfuck who sold at a loss. He’ll have a really hard a time recovering that BTC

Looks like he got Jewed or something

He made a profit, you cant consider every single alternative posibility, what if he cashed out and played it all at the roulette and made 36x? What if he held bitcoin? What if he lost it all? The truth is he took a course of action and came up with more money, could he have gotten more money? Maybe

Somebody post the guy who took a credit of 20k to buy Bitcoin, then swapped it to BCH for the flippening at the peak then swapped it back to BTC after Bitcoin recovered from the dip

>what if

The question isn't what he should have done, the question is did he profit, the answer is no. The only gains he made was because bitcoin rose faster than the altcoin so it lifted the price of his coin in fiat. How can you guys not agree on this simple logic?

It's all satoshis. Everything. Money in crypto is money in crypto.

Yeah, this is my point too.

You still have to pay taxes on it so it actually is a gain.

he ever had the 55k so he didn't lose money either

cant pay rent in btc

/thread

He made a terrible trade but it was still a profit

>if i timed the market perfectly i would've had more gains

yeah, no shit.

Go home ami.

>if i sold all my btc at $3k and put it in stocks, and my stocks went up 10% while btc went up 300%, have i made a profit or loss?
The answer is both; technically you have more assets than you did, but missed out on making far far more profit than if you did nothing.

He technically made fiat due to exchange rates but all else equal he lost money.

His alt coins didn't actually move, BTC did in relation to Fiat. So his investment was a bad one.

I made 15 trades yesterday above with above 1% btc gains. That plus a rising bitcoin is a good day

Lost out on 1.9 BTC lol

This is wrong he made profit either way. He just would make more profit if he stayed in BTC. This happened to me with ETH and shitcoins

>His alt coins didn't actually move, BTC did in relation to Fiat

this fucking logic...lol

Loss

Lost out on =/= lost. You play the market and come out green in fiat, you win. Now that may change in future if some type of crypto becomes more commonly used than fiat.

Normie's are fucking obnoxious
I've never hated a group more
So fucking stupid and unaware

>have less bitcoins than you started with
>profit
lol no

The IRS is looking for you.

I meant that his Alt Coins didnt gain value relative to his fiat

BTC increased in value so because of that his Alt coins did as well relative to fiat, but NOT relative to BTC.

loss... not even a question

>BTC increased in value so because of that his Alt coins did as well relative to fiat

this is complete bullshit...most of the times when BTC moons it leaves alts in the dust. if you're lucky they keep their fiat value. alts moon when there's hype, developments, a functional product, etc.

Not retarded, because he took on additional risk (alts are riskier than btc) and made less than he would have with holding bitcoin, which is in many ways the default strategy

If the S&P posts +10% for the year and your hedge fund only made +3%, have fun explaining that to your investors

He made a profit of 13,600 on the Alt Coins. Bit coin price went up in the mean time, but that is irrelevant.

t. Brainlet

Loss

This is the equivalent of day traders being happy they made something while underperforming against sp500 index funds.

>tfw didn't make 100% of the optimal moves
>tfw 50% gains when 1000000000000% were possible with optimal strategy
>tfw 99.999...% loss

You're all stupid. You can't buy anything with a shitcoin.