/EDH/ Commander general

Mana Dorks Edition.

>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ride-the-sky-and-carry-heavy-sticks/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shu-yun-spellslinging/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-05-16-ljv-superfriends/
edhrec.com/commanders/ubg/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mayael-wurm-caller/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/but-thenwhich-meanswhich-leads-toexactly/
deckstats.net/decks/25595/495467-titania
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>They changed the flavortext on werebear

Into the trash it goes.

So, what decks want mana dorks in EDH anyway?

I have decks that ramp, but with Wraths around every color, the idea of a ramp spell being a dude seems suspect in this format.

Are they purely for aggressive fast decks in a more competitive meta?

mana dorks are significantly more efficient than most artifacts so playing them allows you to run cards like stony silence and null rod to hate out artifact mana

Let's see those commanders. R8 H8 Apprec8

So, what you are saying is you use mana dorks as replacements for Sol Ring rather than Cultivate (which is too slow in competitive groups).

yes

I played against an Edric and Azami once in the same game. The game got real miserable real fast.

To each his own, I love those kind of games.

Jeleva or Niccy B for a theft/clone centric deck? I feel like Jeleva is better but Nicol is cooler and allows me to play a little more controlly than Jeleva.

Mana dorks are also considerably easier to remove than mana rocks.

that is correct but usually people aren't spot removing your mana dorks and you're trying to accelerate before the wraths hit

Lord Bolas is your answer. Jeleva is mildly wasted if you don't build around her.

I try to keep a level head and have fun when I'm playing EDH, but do you guys ever just wanna flip the table?
>Playing Slobad
>My board is Slobad with Lightning Greaves, Lotus Petal and Soul of New Phyrexia
>Opponent 1 has his commander(Riku) enchanted with Dual Casting
>Opponent 2 has a sizeable board state or misc. creatures.
>Opponent 2 casts Vindicate targeting Soul of New Phyrexia
>I tell him "Riku is a ticking time bomb, and he's probably gonna combo out next turn. If you target my Soul I can make it indestructible saccing Lotus Petal
>user he probably has a counterspell (Riku player has 3 cards in hand)
>He resolves Vindicate, I sac Lotus Petal to save Soul and he smiles and passes the turn
>Riku player kills both of us with a fireball copied 4 times

So, basically, in a slow, casual Battlecruiser EDH meta, a mana dork is likely to be pointless.

Cool. I was wondering if I was crazy.

Sure. I need to update these descriptions.

no bully pls

Updated.

I can't get mad about that because I am the one who willingly sat down to play a game against a Riku player.

Incorrect threat assessment is always salt inducing. Glad most people I play with are good about it.

You need some red in your life.

and blue.

r8me friendo

i plan on getting the witch maw or dune brood colored edh this holiday, depending on spoiled cards and decklists

>sigarda

building R/G Mina and Denn landfall atm

might build a simic commander somewhere down the line so I can play big sea creatures

control a shit, fuck blue

I don't really get mad about bad threat assessment because I'm always the guy playing combo

I run mana dorks in Karametra so I can reliably get her out turn 3, and help devotion.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ride-the-sky-and-carry-heavy-sticks/

does this seem like a tumor to you?

would you like to share Shun Yu? I thought about building him myself

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shu-yun-spellslinging/
it's pretty bad but you can see what I was going for

oooohhh, been meaning to build Mina and Denn myself. Hope it works out for you.

what's your build like right now?

I also plan on building something land-y based.
Thinking about Mina and Denn (wanna play with Seismic Assault) or Molimo. Any thoughts?

yeah I see, but it looks pretty decent, I'd put some more mana rocks in it, as well as adding fun stuff like propaganda, blind obedience or torpor orb

It was basically assembled with cards I had laying around from other decks

That's what I was thinking. It has to be miserable to hit counterspells or creatures with Jeleva. Now to see how cheaply I can make a tutorless pile of theft/clones.

my braids deck is pretty much the same. It's nice to have a kind of janky deck lying around sometimes and can make for some aweosme matches

Hnnnnnnng that sounds fun.
I would love to play RUG lands with Trade Routes, Crucible, Seismic Assault, Patron of the Moon and Gush/Fathom Seer.

R8 & H8
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-05-16-ljv-superfriends/

>braids
mah nigga

Hey friends, what are some nifty BUG cards? I have a lot of simic cards, a lot of dimir cards, and a shitload of golgari cards, but basically no BUG mana cards.

Sultai Charm is solid. Sidisi is good. Fungal Shambler is fun. Sultai Ascendancy is good. Sultai Soothsayer isn't awful awful. Villainous Wealth is a grand time.

>villanous wealth
Oh, this is the shit right there. Thanks user, that's just what I was looking for. Shame there isn't very much BUG themed support. It could be a neat +1/+1 counter-based graveyard support archetype.

>Isamaru
I like this meme

No problem. For questions like this, feel free to use magiccards.info 's advanced search engine. There are less than a page's worth of BUG cards, so once you get the hang of it, questions like this are easy to solve.

Now, if you are looking for every card that sacrifices an arbitrary number of artifacts, that might be a bit more difficult. But stuff like this? Piss easy.

I actually had that page pulled up as soon as I typed it in. In all honesty, I was expecting a lot more. Looks like it was all released in the khans block, I was super underwhelmed. That being said, how viable do you feel BUG is? What kind of play-style does it have? I'm experimenting with 3 colour decks, and generally black blue and green are my favorite colours, but black red and green seems a bit more viable as a combination. Outside of looking at decks filled with snapcasters and abrupt decays, is there somewhere I can look to find out how 3 colour commander decks work in general?

>but usually people aren't spot removing your mana dorks

But stabbing the bird of paradise with T1 or T2 removal feels so goooood

BUG is arguably the strongest color combination in EDH. Damia, Tasigur, The Mimeoplasm, and Sidisi are all strong commanders. Some of them lend themselves to more obvious strategies (The Mimeoplasm and reanimator for example) but I think Damia is right for you. She can be at the head of a solid battle cruiser style deck and perform admirably.

>people aren't spot removing your mana dorks
WRONG. People will use big spot removal spells on my manadorks almost immediately because I play a creature heavy beatdown style and they recognize that dorks not only can tap for mana, but also swing for a shitload. It depends on your deck and the removal available, I tend to have some nifty things that can survive a wrath or comeback as long as it isn't exiled.

What's the Dralnu like?

>He's never Misstepped a BoP.

You clearly have a different meta, people in my meta are always taking out artifact mana and leaving mana dorks to be wrathed

I run Sidisi selfmill with stuff like Skaabs. The colors admittedly don't have a lot of identity outside of graveyard stuff.

Damia is the goto goodstuff General for the colors as her effect is crazy if people let it stick. Oh and don't forget Tasigur, he's there, but you know just black.

Personally, I have found that if a three color combination doesn't have a build around me general I like, I end up choosing a mechanical theme but needs an extra color to support itself. Like my Bant list is based on populating Token Copies. I need WG to populate, I need U to make token copies. If you are the kind of guy who avoids goodstuff.dec, look into archetypes or themes you wanted make work with just two colors and just couldn't get going.

How is it a meme? I know there are people out there who've made it, but I've never seen any. I will admit, I did get Doge sleeves for it.

Trolly. I play stuff like Nefarious Lich, Forbidden Crypt, Immortal Coil, donate it to opponents, then set them off. In theory, anyway. I've only played it twice, and failed both times.

>all those expensive EDH staples dropping in price due to EMA

Thanks WoTC

Try this: edhrec.com/commanders/ubg/

Wow, thanks. Damia could easily slot in the current skeleton build I have, I wanted to take the mill out in general and keep some of my nastier things that will combo nicely with the card draw. The problem I'm having is that my group plays a lot of tribal decks with super low curves, or janky control shenanigans and I'm trying to work on better surviability. My go-to decks were a kruphix eldrazi, a xenagos goodstuff and a janky geth deck but, like a dumbass, I tried to synthesize all three together and wound up with a steaming turd. It had a discard and +1/+1 counter theme, which admittedly had some interesting combos, but I found in practice it winds up stalling or having the expensive stuff removed too quickly for it to matter.

I think I can read between the lines, I need to stick with monocolour and two colour decks until I get good enough to pick an interesting and viable theme that has support in the colours I want to play, or build around a commander.

Stupid question time
have you ever run a commander only for its art?

If yes, how good/bad choice was it

I just got the ur commander 2015 deck and I'm wondering what upgrades I should make to it? Never played commander before but I've played a lot of modern.

>No more right to bear arms
REVOLT

loving it.

No, but that's only because I cannot get the other 99 cards to match hers thematically.

to be fair, most of the gods got killer artwork, and a lot of the gods are great commanders

>Wurm tribal.
As a Mayael player and a lover of wurms, my interest is piqued. You have a list?

Yeah. I was . It didn't work too well because she's a huge target and is the game's focus to be shut down.

I run her in Nahiri now.

atm it's pretty much just all the landfall creatures I can get my hands on from the various zendikar sets with a bunch of cultivate-like effects alongside some big red and green creatures

thought about using angry omnath but I like the reusability of lands that M&D allow as well as the increased ramp

not going for anything too combo heavy or spikey since my meta isn't super competitive apart from one guy

>and a lot of the gods are great commanders
Actually I'm learning how to EDH on Phenax and Kruphix and they seem to be very newbie-friendly. I hope I will make some cash in time to try real game with them

>Kruphix

He's both identified as useless and as a big threat at the same time, one of the only few cards to ever do so

Here you go: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mayael-wurm-caller/
Manabase could use work, otherwise plays well.

Worth including in a Melek deck?

I tested it and would be inclined to say no, it takes too long to ramp up and even with ways to store mana is mediocre. Maybe if you have a lot more red instants than I do, post list?

I've never been impressed by it, if you play it after turn 2 it's often not enough mana to warrant playing the card over another ritual

I tried Mogis, Ephara and Kruphix and of those four, only in Kruphix did I not miss having a creature for a general.

Half the time my general is a chump blocker, apparently.

Oh I haven't made it yet. I honestly wouldn't know how to even build Melek, I'm so used to mono-brown

Is he just cast cantrips into Grapeshot?

Will probably also build Pilgrim.

It can be, or just doubling big value spells. I've been playing Melek since he came out and have gone through a storm phase, then I realized I could have storm in my deck without getting hated out if I didn't take advantage of it ao often, so I cut back on the rituals and removed all the storm cards except for Mind's Desire. I'm on my phone now but I can grab my list when I get home if you'd like.

Please do, I've never built a spellslinger deck

Can anyone suggest a direction for this commander? I was thinking pillowfort.

I don't know about in the command zone, but it could be fun in OloroPestilence.dec

Pls help with Zirilan

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dragon-cannon-3

First thing is pick a commander from it. There's four good ones in it, pick one and build for just that one. Then check out EDHREC.

mana dorks are excellent

i once thought like that fag earlier in the thread that they cant be good cuz of board wipes

but thats just not the case

very few ramp spells can be cast on turn 1, and they all have drawbacks besides sol ring, mana dorks have advantages to go with their disadvantage of dying easily

mana dorks can be pumped and become lethal attackers, mana dorks trigger creature related effects like aura shards or karametra, or regal force, they can be easily recurred by stuff like sun titan

this is not to say that the other kinds of ramp are definitely worse, they all generally have their place

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/but-thenwhich-meanswhich-leads-toexactly/

Some notable exclusions:
>Spellweaver Volute
Like many other cards from FUT block it was designed to create game state violations and is a mess of missed triggers most of the time.

>Bosium Strip
I try to keep the deck running quickly and this puts me in the tank for too long, trying to sequence everything perfectly.

>
I wish I wasn't stupid and understood how decks like this win

Why do newbies enjoy lifegain so much?

I don't think you need that many "shuffle target permanent" effects

Get more stuff like Safe Haven. Cold Storage looks good for that

???

his list isnt even particularly convoluted, it has a bunch of bombs like bribery and obvious wincons for spellslinging like talrand young pyro guttersnipe, etc

They like feeling safer, which is something lifegain can trick you into feeling.

cuz they play in metas where people usually lose through incremental damage

Run this my nigga

Fucking dare anyone to block you

lel

funny card

rampage should come back

basically if you dont have an average toughness of 4 on each creature blocking it, you're losing life from the trample damage the more you block, and more creatures too, so hes almost like menace

I want this in Daretti. Shit, I might try and win with this.

D O O M S D A Y B O Y S

Collecting crazy EV from casuals at my LGS.

this is funny with indrik umbra

Godo played fucking bonkers good this weekend

That's fucking disgusting holy shit

I need it

deckstats.net/decks/25595/495467-titania
Any comments or suggestions about my deck? I had a Titania deck for awhile I really liked, so I decided to jump for some of the other money cards and make it really good.Any suggestions would be appreciated

Fuck me that deck looks fun. How come no Jace's Sanctum or Arcane Melee? Too slow?

I run this guy in my all creature Animar's.
Breety good when he's free.

I'm building big blue agro.
Any ideas?

The commander may be big daddy octopus, or thasa.

Lots of fun cards. I don't feel like nitpicking, I like it a lot, to say the least. But I would be wary with 45 lands, if your commander gets blown up a bunch, you might get in a bad spot quick. Mind's Eye and Horn should help you in that regard, but nevertheless. I would honestly even consider that Landfall card draw artifact.