Cthulhutech

So Ive been looking at new(well to me anyway) systems and worlds to DM, and I ran across Cthulhutech. The lore seems fun and flexible, and has enough opportunities to be sufficiently lethal to punish silly mistakes to fit in with my play group. What do you all think?

Other urls found in this thread:

drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/3225/WildFire/subcategory/5525_19196/CthulhuTech
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

OK, so what makes it so? I'm genuinely curious now.

>utter insignificance of human endeavour in the face of unimaginable vastness
>giant robots and teenagers who save the future with significant human endeavour

sometimes mixing several opposite themes can make for cool stuff

this is not one of those times

It's FATAL in space.

It's..

Okay, so, Cthulhutech explicitly states that you can have a mixed party, except you can't because the power levels between different character types are so extreme. A Tager, a mecha pilot and an investigator are all on widly different tiers and not at all a balanced party. It also has the RIFTS problem of megadamage making all other types of damage irrelevant.

It's thematically.. iffy. It tries to marry some VERY power fantasy tropes (mecha piloting, Guyver esque superhumanity) with cosmic horror? That's leaving aside the railroad-rapey stuff in some of the published adventures.

On a very fundamental level, the dice mechanic doesn't work. It's about making poker hands which has a fucked up probability curve and just doesn't flow well in play.

It's a bunch of buzzwords someone figured would sell - Cthulhu anime mecha cyberpunk. It's not a game.

Mostly all the Rape and the 2edgy4me bullshit.

Seriously though, there are enemies, canonical enemies, who can and will rape your PC to death and there isn't shit you can do about it because of magical bullshit pheromones that make you too horny to think.

Get the Beta Test for the second edition.

It sounds like it will be a vastly superior game.

The game is frequently criticized for its mechanics and structure.
1/3rd of the game wants to be mech warfare v cthulhu
1/3rd of the game wants to be Delta Green in the future.
and another 1/3rd wants to be were-monsters vs cthulhu were-monsters.

This combines to be as chaotic and unstable as you might think. The game COULD be played super grimdark, in a nihilistic warhammer 40k way where humanity survives by doing horrible things in the face of cosmic horror. But that isn't very lovecraftian.

Otherwise it will just be generic Sci-fi setting with tentacles.

What the fuck?
Which supplement was that?

This. The whole idea of Lovecraft is the insignificance of humanity and the fact that our existence is fragile and our potential doom is beyond our control. Being able to fight against this defeats the entire feel.

What about pushing it back a bit while bleeding all the way?
You know, throwing a steamboat now and then

Make sure that everyone in the party is playing the same third (infantry blender fodder/Tagers/mecha pilots) and avoid all published scenarios and you should be fine.

Not sure which supplement but They are called the Horned ones.

Basically they are Half human half animal creatures that breed with any mortal human they can get their hands on. They give off pheromones that make your character want to fuck them. Doesn't matter if they were going to kill them before, the minute the pheromones kick in they want sex and nothing but sex.

Every time this happens the end result is a pregnancy, not of another horned one, but of the animal that the horned one shares its traits with.

Get fucked by a horned one that resembles a panther, good news your female character is going to give birth to a panther that is loyal to an eldritch being.

This is a thing that was made, published, and rendered canon.

A laundry list of mechanical faults, horrible editing, fluff that ranges from mediocre to passable.
And those official scenarios, those fucking official scenarios.

Got specifics?

>canon
>in a tabletop setting

Not to say CTech doesn't have problems, but a monster that you could just not use, ever, never struck me as one. And it's no like horrible rape monsters aren't a thing in Lovecraft's works, coughcoughdeeponescough.

The biggest issues for me are the mechanical ones, the X50 damage for difference in scale, compounded with a single man portable weapon that does that damage means you can red paste anything vitality scale, it even functions as a fucking sniper rifle.
Having an even number of dice makes you more likely to criticaly fail.
The disparity between Mecha Pilots, Tagers, People, and Spell Casters.
Spells can take up to a month to cast leading to a lot of down time if you want to use magic.

>deep ones
>rape
It was more like forced prostitution.

Tomato, tomahto.

More like
Tomato, to'fmgin

Not really. If it's horrible rape, then the deep ones are the monsters. If it's forced prostitution, the humans are worse.
THE REAL MONSTER IS MAN!

Is to'fmgin deep one for OOGA BOOGA WHERE DA HUMAN WOMEN AT?

Poker Dice are completely gone, replaced with a special sort of d10 pool.
Usual TN is 13.
Roll (Skill Value)d10 and you add the highest roll to the skill's Governing Attribute, unless you get identicals or consecutives.
If two or more dice show the same value, add them up and add to GA.
If three or more dice result in consecutive numbers, add them up and add to GA.
You always have the option of using the highest value instead of identicals or consecutives.

pp 147-148 of the v1.2 beta.

The devs also say they're going to be cutting out all the cringy stuff from 1e.

How big are dice pools? Because going for multiples and consecutives on d10s you need a pretty sizable pool otherwise the range will be far too random to properly do stuff with.
Thank you by the way.

Skills cap out at 5. Specialization bonuses add a +1, but I'm not sure if that's to the dice pool or the total. There might be talents that add to the pool.

On a related note, the Legendary skill test (most difficult) has a -4 dice pool modifier.

The whole idea of Lovecraft is to create distinct sense of the gothic. It's about the physicality of dread and the visceral sense of the unknown.

Insignificance is a significant theme in his works but not nearly as significant as nerds build it up to be. Some of his most interesting stories have little to do with what we think of as "lovecraftian"
Shit like the Dunwitch Horror, Horror at Red-Hook, Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath have characters getting through crazy shit intact and even victorious. Hell, Mountains of Madness has the main characters humanising and empathising with the aliens.

Hopelessness was a feature in many of HPL's works but it wasn't a necessity let alone the main course. If anything it was about wonder and curiosity pushing up against macabre secrets of world hiding just beyond your gaze. It's about rainy alleyways and dusty library, strange new friends, excited academic collaboration leading to frenzied insight and horrible yet fascinating reveals. A lot of it actually really romantic, at the very least nostalgic in a quietly passionate way, a far cry from the what most people seem to think about his work.

But capturing the spirit of his writing is a lot harder than spouting over-processed memes
Of course if it were easy his stories wouldn't have lasted the years. The problem is, now most people seem to have a very limited sense of what they were in the first place. This is probably because they have only heard about his stories from other self important nerds or wikipedia or they have read them and just followed the over-processed fucking memes because actual literary analysis takes effort. It's a lot easier to go with a popular idea that's sort of correct and just obscure enough to make you look smart and call that a day than it is to come to personal conclusion that might be wrong.

>The devs also say they're going to be cutting out all the cringy stuff from 1e.

another game falls prey to PC lobbying, thanks obama

b8

These are the devs who spent a sidebar in every book whinging about the evils of piracy, user.

They're not exactly the kinds of people to give a fuck what customers think.

>Read that in every book.
>Laughed about it with online group that pirated every book
>Eventually bought all the books from a LGS that was closing down for really cheap
>Mostly for the art, since it has some good scifi art.
It's also my guilty pleasure system

Also
Giant robots in bleak situations worked in the Animatrix and Evangelion
While neither of those are totally in the HP mold they did a better job with many of his style and concepts at it than most stuff that goes out of it's way to be "Lovecrafitan."

Also criticising CthulhuTech for breaking away from HP material is sort of dumb. The world is intended to be a mix of action anime AND Cthulhu Mythos. The latter should be able to make some compromises. Ideally something new would come of it, unfortunately the game really does suck.
Much like Shadowrun and it's tech/fantasy all the neat stuff is kept in separate boxes and never allowed to touch. And the system suck, the meta is awful, ect...
But the concept was fun, full of potential and worth coming back to some time.

Well from what I heard they are taking alot of the mk2 ideas from fans, so hopfuly they are listening to the right people to make it a better game. It sounds better so far, I really hope they refine the dice system a bit more though, looking for sequential and identical numbers with d10s is fucking moronic.

>Okay, so, Cthulhutech explicitly states that you can have a mixed party
But that's fucking WRONG. There's a big fat sidebar in the book warning you to NOT DO THIS.

>Whine about piracy
>Actual message is:
>Yo, if you like this book, please buy it, so we can make more

Fuck you.

I went and downloaded my copy of burning horizons, that the devs gave out for free no less, just to snag this.
Their system may be shit but they are not shits themselves.

Talking down to your customers like they're incapable of doing basic math is, in fact, "being a shit."

Nobody who pirates a PDF is gonna go "WHAAAT YOU MEAN THE ARTIST DIDN'T GET ANYTHING FOR THIS? WHAAAAT" and lecturing them like they're too stupid to realize that doesn't win anyone any good will.

>Being reminded that pirateing books from small companies is bad is a bad thing.
>Being reminded of the work that goes into making an rpg book and that the people making it sorely need the revenue or they might fail to make enough revenue to continue working is bad.
I guess you must advocate for everything should be free, and piracy is freedom of information.
I pirate books too but I also buy them when I can afford to if I use them often, because I want to support the company and the system.

It sounds like you just want to pirate books without being reminded that maybe people are probably getting hurt by you not forking up cash for product.

I advocate for companies who want my good-will to not talk to me like I'm an idiot. Acting like you're some wounded artist instead of a smart businessman should be mocked.

RPG companies are even in a unique position where their product can be fully evaluated in digital format, but--for a large portion of customers--can only be used in physical format: several small companies have proven time and again that you can hand out the PDFs for free and lose virtually nothing on book sales and, if anything, will see an increase.

It's almost like RPGs are a high upfront-investment hobby, and making that upfront cost less blind universally makes customers more likely to buy your shit. If piracy hurts you as an RPG company, it's because you're letting it.

>RPG companies are even in a unique position where their product can be fully evaluated in digital format, but--for a large portion of customers--can only be used in physical format: several small companies have proven time and again that you can hand out the PDFs for free and lose virtually nothing on book sales and, if anything, will see an increase.
>In the day of the smart phone, the tablet, and the netbook
>Only solid media
You are either baiting or stupid.
And give some names of these companies.

>running games off a netbook
Spoken like someone who's never tried.

>some names of these companies
Oh, you know, a little no-name company like Paizo seems to be doing okay handing out all the information in their books for free.

>all
I don't think PFSRD has all the info.

>Oh, you know, a little no-name company like Paizo seems to be doing okay handing out all the information in their books for free.
They don't give out their books for free, and they require you to buy the book to use it for their special organized play group.
So try again.
>running games off a netbook
How often do you need to reference the book mid session? I have used a laptop for spell/rules reference and it works just fine I don't run the whole game off it that is retarded.

Correct it lacks all setting books, all adventure paths.

I didn't say they hand out the physical book for free, you blind idiot, which has been my whole point so far.

PFSRD has all the INFORMATION in the books for free. You know, like pirating a PDF gets you. But you still don't have the actual physical book.

>How often do you need to reference the book mid session?
Assuming I'm actually running the game in the books and not some shitty half-remembered version that substitutes "a d20 roll and GM's gut feeling," reasonably often. More than 3 or 4 times a session not counting the times the players reference something, which is too often for a digital format to work out.

>PFSRD has all the INFORMATION in the books for free.
Except the setting and adventures.

>PFSRD has all the INFORMATION in the books for free. You know, like pirating a PDF gets you. But you still don't have the actual physical book.
Just not setting or adventure paths.
Oh wait setting books have mechanical information in them, well guess that means the SRD does not have everything doesn't it?

>What do you all think?
Get the beta.
drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/3225/WildFire/subcategory/5525_19196/CthulhuTech

It's Tager only, but Tagers are probably the best of the PC options so it's alright.

>Tager best pc option
>Not Mecha Pilot
>Not Engel Pilot

That flavor man.

Actually, even stuff in setting books gets added in, just with the setting-specific names stripped out.

As for the setting and APs themselves, I feel pretty confident saying people who buy PF for Golarion are a minority.

I think I like Engels more flavor wise honestly.
And Mecha Pilots are just cool imo.
Tagers always struck me as kind of the try hard brood in the corner option, never liked them much.

>every pirated copy of something is a lost sale fallacy

Oh good, it's "I wouldn't have bought it ANYWAY, but I should get it for free" guy.

Okay tell me the domains, obedience, special class bonuses for the three god based classes, and special abilities that clerics of Nethys get access to using PFSRD only.

While every pirated copy is a lost sale is a fallacy read what they actually say.
If you like it buy it because we need the revenue to keep making these books.

>Tagers always struck me as kind of the try hard brood in the corner option, never liked them much.
Huh. Never saw it that way. Laying down your humanity for the cause always struck me as heroic in a tragic way, not edgy in the CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWLING tradition of deviantArt.

Interesting to see how such things differ.
Engels are neat, mecha are just mecha.

Anybody mess around with V2 yet? I like all the tager customization and the intitiative system seems way better on paper. No idea about poker dice 2.0 being one target number with difficulty decreasing our dice pool

I really want to run it, but fuck I've got like three other games in the pipeline.

That was in reply to that specific post. I mostly agree with what's in that sidebar and following what they asked I didn't buy the books, since I didn't like most of it and as such never decided to run anything in CTech.

I did like most of the art though, and if the artists put out an art book with stuff along the major themes of the game (inb4 rape) I'd be liable to get a physical copy.

I want to try it but most the people I know go oh fuck no if they hear cthulhu tech. It does not have a good reputation because of the V1 content and mechanics unfortunately.

Does the company making this game still have usable forums?

Last I checked yes but they changed them from the original ones.

If no one challenges bad behavior the behavior will likely not change. A pirate who reads that will put more thought towards "Im being a shitty person" than if they hadn't read it, even if the thought is minor. You ever read about DOTA's "Werr you a good sport this game?" thing? There was some interesting psychology behind it.

No body claimed they should get it for free. But if you can get access to it for free, making your own judgment based on direct access to the product sure as hell beats piecing together information from reviews and other second hand sources.

>No body claimed they should get it for free
> several small companies have proven time and again that you can hand out the PDFs for free and lose virtually nothing on book sales and, if anything, will see an increase.
That guy basically did.

My mistake. I did not claim that. There.

Besides the framewerk engine being weird and combat being oversimplified, it tries to do too many things at once. the melee doesn't mesh with the shooting, the shooting doesn't mesh with the magic,the magic doesn't mesh with the mecha, and the mecha doesn't mesh with the strategy to say nothing of the themes.

Honestly, if you'd taken it apart and made three different games then it would be decent but as it stands it's a horrible mess.

Consumers are scientifically proven to be retarded shits that either need to be pandered to or talked down to just to get a point across.

user it is meant to be played as three separate games, vitality scale, mages, soldiers, investigators; integrity scale, vehicles, mecha, engles; and Tager Scale, Tagers.
They are not really built to be mixed and matched. You can also divide Tagers and Vitality scale into either investigative or combat games or do a hybrid of the two.

>mages

Why would you ever want to play one though?

I played a few they are not bad as long as you get prep time and lots of it.
Other then that it is the best way to make someone skilled in occult in my opinion.

but you are now admitting that some people do think this.
So maybe you'll now accept that while not every pirate copy represents a lost sale, some people who do pirate would actually buy if they couldn't pirate.

Oh who am I kidding, no one who argues 'piracy does nothing bad' ever backs down from the complete hardline of that argument.

>some people who do pirate would actually buy if they couldn't pirate.
Almost definitely the case.

>no one who argues 'piracy does nothing bad' ever backs down from the complete hardline of that argument.
Strawman.

There's a Reddit page but it's pretty much DOA.

we should make a CTech general for nonstop shitposting and a few anons who actually like he game despite its flaws

Let's wait until v2 is more complete to see if it is worthy of having a general yet.

>we should make a CTech general for nonstop shitposting and a few anons who actually like he game despite its flaws
I could dig it, but after the dead of VoidTech I'm a bit grumpy about this fanbase.

wtf you do exist. I've literally never encountered a piracy advocate who admitted there is any possible downside.

Then again, you could be a not a piracy advocate, just thinking it doesn't cause as much problems as the hard line on the other side say. Because fuck it I pirate some, but I'll admit that it companies do have a point that it not a positive thing for there sales.

>2011
>Not wanting to be The Guyver

>Be dhohanoid
>Chosen people of your dark God so totally gonna make it through the end times
>Shapeshift into badass monster
>Great 401k, health benefits and chrysalis stock options

what happened to this game,I remember I loved the rulebooks as a kid back in 2008 or so,up there with the monster manuals
I remember the rape machine but that didn't really get to me
funny thing,Mike V now also works on Warmahordes, of which i love the art

fuck yeah, thanks user

I wonder if it would just be a better idea to run the Cthulhutech fluff with World of Darkness? The combat mechanics, even within a single "tier" of play, feel like they get bogged down with dice rolls. At least in V1.

Roll attack. Enemy rolls dodge / defense. What's the difference? 7? Let me check this table - ok you get an extra damage die. Oh wait, that was automatic fire? Roll to see how many bullets hit. 5 hit? Ok, so that's +4 damage dice for the extra bullets.

Urgh.

>poker dice are gone
>two or more dice show same number, add them up
>consecutive numbers, add up

That's the same system as V1. The poker dice are clearly still there.