youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I need to free hand a blood drop.

Nah, you need to fix the weird blue on the thunder hammer housing first. Everything else looks p good though.

What paints would I need to paint a Commissar? I bought the Start Collecting kit for IG and forgot about the Commissar.

I'm planning on putting his upper half on a Leman Russ Vanquisher and painting it black, make it a Commissariat Tank, like in an illustration I saw in IA2, I believe it was.

Never really painted or modeled before but posting my first finished project since i'm getting into 40k. Feedback is appreciated. 1/?

Working on a techno shaman.

This is amazing.

glorious. Is the base model skaven?

looks like a genestealer hybrid

Normal skin tones. Black and greys for the coat. Yellow or brassy tones for shoulder tassles if they have them.
Standard flak armour colour for your army and steel tones for their weapons.

Paint looks a bit thick and you need to work on brush control.
Hard to tell much else from the bad pics.

Progress on Ft. Skull Mountain continues.
All rock and earth has been painted brown and then once dry, dry brushed heavily with various greens to add depth. This will then be over brushed with the muted red ("tawny port") used on the exposed rocks in my other pieces.
This will give the impression of moss growing in the cracks in the rocks.

call me nuts guys but I think I am going to make a small 500 point army of Malal Miniatures with custom sculpted daemons and truescale marines.

Paint's looking good. Probably would have used some more filler between the bark, personally. Not a huge fan of the stacked look.

Nice to see some terrain in here, though.

I'm new to vehicle conversions and I want to convert my Leman Russ tanks to resemble Shermans. Any advice on how I could do this?

buy a sherman kit. The two tanks are completely different, it would require so much plasticard work you'd basically be making a sherman from scratch.

looks good

How do people feel about your dudes and conversions in general for AoS? I personally enjoy converting the most in the hobby and am having great fun with some of the new models

Unless the conversions look like shit, anyone who doesn't like conversions is an idiot. More work put into the army almost always makes it more fun to play against

I did, but the size doesn't match up close enough and it sticks out too much. I'll keep trying to figure something out.

>playing AoS

> wasting money on models ever
>oh my god someone plays a game?

Still building the XVIth Legion up. This picture is terribad as it was late when I took it so the natural light was gone and I had to shoot it with lightning. Going with white face masks to give contrast and as a throwback to their Luna Wolf roots. I'll try take a better picture later today. now that I've glued backpacks on (and hopefully shoulderpads as well by then).

It's a mess and not in a good way. It looks like you painted it with condiments? I like the ork teeth but I'd redo the rest.

>pooled washes, no washes where they could actually have an effect
>random yellow streaks
>mc donalds color scheme
>what do half these parts even do
>obvious toy car underneath, at least orkify the rims
>no highlights but random rust everywhere

Most of it looks thick too

White masks are pretty cute. Could be an interesting bit of visual shorthand for vets.

Yeah, that was my thinking behind it as well.

Do you have any modeling pipe dreams, /wip/? Any armies or conversions you'd like to make but are just beyond your abilities?

(pic related) is mine. RG successor with a PNW Indian art inspired aesthetic. Would love to make em but I don't see how I could pull off without drastically simplifying it.

If you started with truescale mehreens as a base, it'd be easier to freehand all that art.

What scale did you buy? 1/35? 1/48? What brand?

The most notable difference between a LR and a Sherman is the track section and the round shape of the turret.

I found pic related.

I would try to combine the leman russ kit with the tracks and the turret of the sherman.

You just have to follow your dreams, user.
And also be patient.

As a fellow treadhead IG player, you've got your work cut out for you. The designs are pretty far separated.
>Sherman
>open bobby suspension
>tracks don't wrap around the hull
>cast, rounded turret
>Leman Russ
>WWI-style wraparound tracks
>WWI-style closed suspension
>no rounded hull plates anywhere

I guess if you were a complete masochist you could grab a 1:32 Sherman (maybe smaller) then Guard it up a whole bunch? You'd need to replace the gun barrel with something suitably 40k-sized.

Honestly they're not even the same role of tank, really. The Sherman is a medium tank with a relatively low-powered gun, while the Leman Russ is a heavy MBT with a powerful cannon that can crack open even the toughest of armor at any range.

Hey /wip/
Ihave a question regarding citadel paints and their ability to mix

I unfortunately stay far from any outlet that sells any decent paints and so i wnat to get my current selection to stretch a bit further.

Can i mix paints together to get more shades out of my colours? Also, i've noticed that some paints dont mix well together, any advice of what paints do actually combine well?

yeah you can mix paints, and if you are anything above beginner level you should be mixing paints to try different things and to practice blending. Generally you can mix any colors, but I'm unsure about special stuff like textures.

I have no idea how to paint liquids, I guess it's okay for a first attempt?

looking good pal what did you use for the skull? Did you make it yourself or is it an old halloween prop or wat?

this
I'd say you're best bet is just buy sherman tanks of the same scale then slap imperial eagles and all that guff on it like "orkifying" a vehicle to show its looted

crystalised tzeench marines that are colourful like savage ork user's

i'd use them as count-as 1k sons, then i'd only have to make like 20 of them + some vehicles and i'd have 1850

Honestly, I thought those were gas bottles. I'd painted them red and left it at that.

But it looks a bit flat as it is. It needs more shine if they're supposed to be in glass, and the liquid needs internal differences. Essentially you'll be painting huge gems, so look into that.

Your paint is also a bit sloppy, like in the hazard stripes, there's a few too many colours without anything to bind them together, and your flame looks really dirty.

Now let us see the front.

looks fine

Starting a lamenters army for armies on parade. Broke out the space hulk models and am currently waiting for texture paint to dry.

Any reason to buy hobby superglue instead of the dollar store superglue?

none.

Painted this guy while waiting Total War Warhammer to load

Only 5 more and my Ogre army will be finished. Kinda sad to know I'll not paint any of those lads anymore

Any ideas on how to improve the scheme and make it less boring to look and less boring to paint?

Sorry for the big size, posting from the phone

Other side and other light.

Make it brighter and more saturated. Edge highlights, blending, the works. Maybe some iridescent paint for the armour for that shiny bug look.

Also, concerning the file size, unless you're on a dumbphone you have no excuse. Find a photo editor app and resize that shit. There's PicsArt for both Android, iOS and Windows Phone and a myriad others.

Put them in a collage, crop and resize them. Your first picture is acceptable in size. Your second is not.

Hmmm... Maybe brighten up the edges a bit, feather it with a brighter color?

Maybe a lighter version of the purple(?) you have there, give a little contrast?

I'm tired right now, so I could be wrong.

Looking at this pic, it seems like you might have gone a bit thick in the recessed parts, iirc you should be able to see the muscle strands in them.

I would start making the highlights stand out more,it looks rather dull. If you want an alternative paint scheme,maybe something like pic related adapted to your colours?

>>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

Link is dead.

Made the mistake of buying a board game with good looking minis, having never painted shit before. Am I fucked?

Inb4 thin paints, etc.

As usual you can get as good as you want if you try hard enough,but if you only want a decent look on the models it will be pretty fast. Read a couple of guides and try,it's that easy to get an ok looking mini,but obviously get ready to strip your minis.

Streuth that's a stella paint job those fellas have! Just enough flat surfaces to make it work.

>having never painted shit before. Am I fucked?

No, why should you be? Everyone started out some day.

What game did you buy?
Have you already bought paint and brushes?

Hi /wip/,i have seen some guides which involved eashing abaddon black with nuln oil. Can you really see a difference?

Could anyone help me with some scale issues? I'm thinking of converting Eldar Guardians into Van Saar for Necromunda, but I'm afraid they'll be to puny. How big would, say, a normal lasgun be in comparison to a guardian?

just spend time and be patient, do a practice model or two, and if worst comes to worst strip them

I'm thinking of painting my carnosaur black with yellow patterns on the back and white belly. I'm not sure how I should go about it given that I have both extrems. The model is also already primed black, so yellow will probably be a major pain in the ass (the white I can manage). Any advice?

Why's that guy covered in grenades?

I think they might look a bit slender in comparison around the hips.

You want a photo of my van sar next to a dark eldar for a direct comparison?

Finished this guy
r8 m8s

be prepared

Looks a lot better than before.

Nice paintjob, but i really don't like the blood. While the effect itself looks good, having that amount of blood on the sawblade and the arm but nowhere else on the body is kinda silly.
It should be everywhere, but that would look kinda stupid so yeah.. i'm not a friend of weapons covered in blood.

Not bad. Brush control is a little spotty in some places the brassy bits and bone are good examples.

Yellow is a little thick in some places and the blood splatter looks a bit unrealistic but still some of the better flicked blood I've seen.

Torso looks a bit muddy from what I can see. And the base gets lost.

Scope lense looks quite nice from this angle and I like his skin.

Overall pretty nice. Waaaghd look got in a mob of boyz.

Not him,but i have problems seeing thick paint, where do you think the yellow is thick?

>tfw white is your favourite colour
>tfw you can't get it decently
>tfw you see master painted whites,but can only dream such beauties

Arcadia Quest. Weebshit aesthete, but the minis have some degree of detail.

Haven't gotten paint and brushes yet.

I'm just starting out painting, too. It's really not a big deal once you start.

Like any project, you have to have a good foundation, though. Make sure you prep the minis well when assembling them. If they dont look good bare, they wont look good painted. Then be sure to prime them properly (any decent spray primer, light coats on non-windy days to preserve detail) then start with your base colors. then layers and highlights.

You'll be surprised how much control you have over the brush if you hold both the figure and the brush with you forearms supported.

Use a wet palette and take your time. And thin your paints to the point where they wont stick, then add just a bit more paint from the pot to get it to cling. Make sure you dont have an excessive amount on your brush.

Just checked the game. Looks pretty nice. I'm actually tempted to get it myself
Have you played it yet? Is it good?

How is the quality of the minis? Are they hard plastic? Or kinda bend-able?

As for paint: Check Army painter and/or vallejo. Both paint ranges are compatible and you can mix them to get more colors if you don't want to buy 10 nuances of blue for example.

Here is what you need:
Primer: (i recommend light grey, but black works too) Get a spray can from army painter or from your local hardware store if you want to save money. Use it outside.

For paint i recommend that you think about what miniatures you have (you got 37 miniatures with the game i saw on amazon), and how you want to paint them. And from there you can check what colors you need.

I imagine pic related might be a good enough start to have all the basic colors. You can get it on ebay for like 15-20 euro.

If i were you i would avoid buying anything from games workshop since it costs more, offers the same quality (sometimes its even worse) and having matching paint names with their instructions is pointless in your case.

Grey Knights librarian conversion, opinions?

I dig it. almost looks like an option for the Librarian kit, which, if it's what you were going for, well done. A kick ass paint job will make it more obvious.

> Since the pic has been getting posted every thread anyway.

Someone fix this link pls

Looks good, I concur with 's sentiment.

It would be nice if it had a helmet, but I understand the difficulty in extracting the librarian head from the torso mould, and I suppose a GK termie head AND a psychic hood might be too crowded...

Can't wait to see it fully painted

I need to actually finish a model to get me in the mood to paint an entire army. I have 4 models in different stages of completion, and none of them actually complete for my Minotaur army. I think after I get back from running errands and what not I'm going to force myself to do one marine from start to finish today.

> Look I'm currently going for. No rust, no patina, no verdigris. Clean Minotaurs, no battle damage, proud of how well they keep their armor.

Would be nice. If you've got a modern lasgun in there too for scale and I'd be happy.

I do expect to be doing some GS work anyway, but figured Guardians may be a neat base. Maybe a Striking Scorpion as a base for their leader.

>MkVIII
>vambraces don't extend over the wrist
>torso cabling not covered by a plate

Racist, green is best

>find a blog post from 2011 where a guy was stripping his minis after originally painting them in 2009 without using a primer first
>excited to see some thick fucking paint I try to find posts from back then but all his pictures were hosted on websites that no longer exist

We're living in the digital dark ages, user.

Historians will look back on our times as an era from which very little media survived.

Got my bloodbowl pitch to a playable state.

made right handed fists for my ogre bloodbowl team.

fuck my hands hurt from all the carving.

>fuck my hands hurt from all the carving.
get a rotary tool. Stuff like that will only take a few minutes and minimal effort on your part aside from holding the pieces steady.

will do when i have moneys and another reason for heavy conversions that require making deep holes.

Do you guys ever paint your pieces then assemble? I'm just getting into 40k as a tyranid player and painting the fully assembled model is a pain because of all the details and hard to reach areas. Also do you put the bases on last after painting or just after/before priming?

I'm ashamed of his little emblem thing. Going to try and fix it when I get home from work. I want to fix the hazards stripes too, I see what you mean. How should I go about correcting it though.

I paint in subassemblies.

I put bases on after the model is fully assembled, because I don't "base" the models. I like the clean black plastic.

>I like the clean black plastic.
Same here. It's uniform across your army, and it's not like your bases will ever match the random tables they're set on. Not to say that based minis dont look great

Maybe a tad bit more of an obvious meniscus

looks sweeet

Old terrarium/aquarium piece that a friend used unaltered on his table. Then it broke so I asked if I could incorporate it into a larger piece.

Only reason would be if you're some sort of brand whore

White is not a colour. Your life is a lie.

Color is not spelled with a u.

Hurry up and leave the EU so you can become the 51st state like you rightfully should be.

That's yours? The clothes look fantastic. The darker areas on the flag just look too big for me.

Disregard , he's a faggot.
But white is definitely a colour in painting. The idea that black and white are not colours is a lie. Entirely depends on what you're studying.