Please help me make a good character, Veeky Forums

please help me make a good character, Veeky Forums

>58 karma, human

2/2

is charisma important in this game or should I just pump whatever points I would put charisma in into body or quickness?

>Shadowrun : Hong Kong thread

Play Dragonfall instead. Hong Kong is honestly pretty shit compared to Dragonfall.

>human
>good
No.
It depends. It helps to not being murderhobo. I believe CHA 7 is the highest check (DLC has some more, though), Socialite etiquette is used most often, Corp, Gang and Security are equal, and Academic is mostly for being smartass, but it has one very important check in the pre-final mission (it's that or being mage/shaman with high skill, can't be solved with just high cha iirc), which leads to some complications if you fail it.
It's okay. Stop pretending like Dragonfall was the game of the century.

I also found Dragonfall to be superior.

My main issue with Hong Kong is that the team sucks ass. In Dragonfall you had a blond SWAT troll waifu with big tits, a cybered hot-chick with daddy issues and smokey eyes, a wiseass human netrunner, a cynical mage, and that big angry dog. In Hong Kong you have an orc rat shaman who looks like a fucking hobo, a female dwarf netrunner who sucks ass and looks like shit, and then there's your dumbass orc half-brother who didn't ask for it (I was so happy being a traffic cop! Why do I have to become a shadowrunner, blablabla...).

Second issue is decking. Why did they have to make it a tedious mini-game like lock-picking in Oblivion? I don't want to solve fucking puzzles, if my netrunner is fucking good.

Don't forget Samurai Zombie and Generic Russian Decker

Charisma is really important if you can't murder your way through people.

I personally took cyberclaws and charisma as an orc and never looked back. Then once I maxed those I grabbed basic adept skills to pick up killing hands and stride.

The matrix gameplay on DMS and DF were straight up garbage. At the very least, HK lets you skip all the mind numbing combat.

>Racter
>generic russian rigger

What are you on about?

Generic? You didn't actually talk to Racter, did you?

Charisma is essential if you are playing a shaman, and being a good shaman means basically breaking the game's action economy.

I'm still mad the devs nerfed Haste IV and made it hinge on random chance.

Specialize in Quickness (Shotguns) and Charisma (Conjuring), get just enough points into Spirit Summoning to get a totem, and spend a bit into Inteligence (Biotech) to see enemies' HP.

Get a few points into Body, so you wouldn't be one-shotted by a crit - 3 or 4 is enough - and everything else into Dodge.

Bam, you're a somewhat fragile, but completely unhittable murder machine that takes 4+ actions per turn. Stock up a bit on Jazz and Cram, and you can snipe enemies with your shitty shotgun (that AoE spread) from the other end of the map, or run across the entire map yourself. If you also use Wind Elemental Token, you can give yourself even more actions.

My personal record is 12 (?) actions per turn, with a Wind Elemental, Haste IV, Jazz, Cram and Flash, and everything was self-buffed, i.e. crewmates didn't apply buffs to me.

Eh, the problem with Matrix is that it was purely combat in previous installments, so they decided to spice it up with "stealth" and minigames - and failed. I can see the reasoning behind it, but the way they went about it was not good.

They should've just treated it the same as real-world, i.e. chatting with programs, stat checks, questing for items/clues etc.

>waifu simulator is better than asshole simulator
Fuck no.
Personally, I found Hong Kong way more authentic than Dragonfall.
You don't choose who you run with. A lot of runners are weirdos and society drop-outs, because they couldn't live a wageslave life.
And that's exactly what Hong Kong represents.
It makes more sense than tragic backstories full of cliches - Glory, Eiger, looking at you.

Your team will suck at combat. You basically only have Duncan who's a fighter. Making a street samurai isn't a bad idea.

>not picking up Gaichu
What are you, racist against ghouls?

>It makes more sense than tragic backstories full of cliches
That's no fucking excuse for forcing you to run with a dirty hobo, a latino dwarf, and a boring asshole. Shadowrun is full of clichés anyway.

Wouldn't have it been to much letting the players create their own team like like in Icewind Dale?

Ghouls aren't cool. Race war now.

>Wouldn't have it been to much letting the players create their own team like like in Icewind Dale?
You can hire other runners if you want to. Also, don't compare BG/ID with Shadowrun, because those two have way more attention put into small details and choices overall.
BG and ID are to a campaign what Shadowrun is to a one-shot/adventure.

I didn't want to deal with one more retarded metahuman and killed him.

It would have been a lot less full of character in that case. Icewind Dale had very little characterization for PCs.

Did you play HK? The characters are kinda connected to the main plot. If you want generic characters, you can hire those weak ass fools in the runner network or whatever they call that char menu before you set out.

Ghouls are not Metahumans.

He's an Infected Human. That's an entirely different category.

Creating your whole team would have been easier for the devs than incorporating ridiculous companions with backstories.

And it would have lost so much.

Infected humans, metahumans - doesn't matter. Both shouldn't exist.

humanis /pol/iclub

Yes. I stopped playing it at the free Raymond mission. Hacking those four systems pisses me too much off.

Do you truly think HK would be as engaging as it is, if you created your own faceless team with no story or character behind them?
Do you think the same about Dragonfall too? That you would replace Eiger, Glory, Dietrich, Blitz with faceless party members?
I sincerely doubt it, and think that it's just your personal distaste for the HK characters that is stopping you from seeing, well, the game itself.
has it right. Exploring the backstories of your party consisting of weirdo outcasts is one of the essential parts of what makes HK itself.

>Your team will suck at combat.
Racter's drone is a beast of pure destruction when upgraded a couple times.

I liked the Dragonfall team, but absolutely hate the Hong Kong team.

Forgot about that guy. He seems ok, but the team needs a mage and a netrunner. As such Gobbet the skunk and Isobel are mandatory. Duncan is an asshole, but he's good at combat and he's the only one who could be replaced.

So basically, it's about people you like or don't like?

Again, you don't choose who you run with.
Your Rigger's fridge might be full of beer and semtex, while your Street Sam might be a huge dyke who gets it off on small children.

The only thing that unites you is, well, shadowrunning. Your work. It is your choice whether you will grow onto each other or just remain strangers.

HK captures it perfectly, whereas Dragonfall's circumstances are the complete opposite with its "Mighty Leader" act the protagonist is forced to pull.

Just because you hate the characters personally doesn't mean that the characters themselves are badly written.
If anything, it's the opposite, because it's easier to pull heart strings that are responsible for loving the character than for hating the character.

tl;dr it's a matter of personal taste, so don't get mad when the game pulls a more authentic "we are all weirdos, and the only thing that unites us is our job" approach, rather than the lovey-dovey "we are a team, and we are extremely loyal to each other"

Did I say they are badly written? I said I don't fucking like them and they are a turnoff for me. I'm not interested in who they are or in whatever background they have. At least Dragonfall characters made me want to learn their story.

I prefer to create my own team members. Even if they are faceless in the game, for me they are all special and they all have their own story. The drawback is that they are not implicated in the story as pregenerated characters are, but personally I don't care. I fell more attachment to my Icewind Dale characters than with any Shadowrun: Hong Kong companion.

>I liked the Dragonfall team, but absolutely hate the Hong Kong team.

that's a fair opinion to have - but I found 1s0bel was a lot more bearable to have around, not least because she wasn't a split decker/rigger so her decking skills were actually useful and honestly she was a lot more bearable in dialogue than Blitz was.

I didn't like the HK team too but then I didn't like the DF team either. HK had too much updated stuff on it though. Being able to skip combat altogether with the right skill sets? Sounds like a proper Shadowrun game to me, senpai.