Whats the best system for to use for Macross?

Whats the best system for to use for Macross?
Will have jet/mecha dogfights and fleet combat
Alien races/planets and power of song and culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics.php
d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Robotech_Defence_Force
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B2MWVpzB0HSIcjdnbjRXMDVxS28
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B0RgpTvR3o_9cmYzMTc1RzNMQ0U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ah, the classic "I want to run a mecha game" problem.

The number of games with both good Dogfighting and good Mecha combat rules are rather low unfortunately.

If it was just mechs I'd recommend D&D 4e but the heavy plane focus changes that.

I knew the 4e meme would show up eventually, but I didn't think it would be this fast.

Meme? It works pretty well for most mech shows. Macross is not really one of them due to the dogfighting focus.

Battle Century G. Give all mechs the ability to transform unless you want some Monster-tier artillery shit going on with yours.
Seriously, why are so many of the non-VF mechs in Macross so fucking sexy?

Fate using the mecha rules from Mecha vs Kaiju.

Macross has never been heavy on the minutia and mechanics and focuses more on the cool factor, this is faster and easier to emulate in a game like Fate and the MvsK rules are actually pretty decent for mecha construction.

Alternatively:
monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics.php

Maybe ROBOTECH by Palladium?

Otherwise, use the Fuzion system. Bubblegum Crisis worked well in it.

>actually suggesting Clunk and Clunk 2: The Clunkening
Rifts' system is colossal dogshit, I'm sorry you had to find out this way
Also fuck Interlock/Fuzion with a rake

Here's one I've actually done, Mini Six.

D6 is a good middle ground between detail and fast & loose, and Mini Six is a lighter, even faster version of D6.

There's even tons of D6 Robotech conversions you can look at to eyeball the stats for various proper Macross mecha.

d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Robotech_Defence_Force

If it's the detailed construction of MZ+ that intimidates you here's virtually everything that's appeared in Macross up until the current series statted for you already:
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B2MWVpzB0HSIcjdnbjRXMDVxS28

And while I'm at it BRP Mecha is a pretty good alternative if you like BRP:
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B0RgpTvR3o_9cmYzMTc1RzNMQ0U

Worst Girl.

pls don't bully the hoi na

Have you not been watching? Shes the best miracle of the umiverse

>Mini Six
You are based as fuck

>Mekton at all
Okay, maybe not so much. My problem isn't that mech construction is so bad, it's just the entire system is mired in 80s design ethos, it's easy to game and clunky as shit.

Still, as someone who was already planning a Heavy Gear d6 game thanks for giving me yet another giant robot game to give my buckets of six-siders a workout

>It works pretty well for most mech shows.
No, not really. It's okay for a game with a cheesy super robot show feel and that's it. Even then it's only kind of okay and the result would be pretty much exactly the same if you re-skinned any fantasy RPG.

And yes it's a meme, there's no reason why you'd use 4e over any other dnd edition or other similar game, the only reason people do it or suggest it is because they've heard of other people doing it.

You should just use Battle Century G.

>it's just the entire system is mired in 80s design ethos, it's easy to game and clunky as shit.
To be honest, I don't disagree. Interlock hasn't aged well at all and while I personally get a sick pleasure out of statting things in MZ+ I don't actually like the actual play rules at all.

So how would you design the system around Fold Wave singers?

You can get it to work pretty easy just by stripping out a few things to help combat flow better.

checks to maintain concentration give AOE buff/debuffs

That's probably where using would excel.

If using probably like music-and-emotions-fueled magic or force powers (see Star Wars D6).

Otherwise to be honest it just kind of works like bardic music, doesn't it? All we've really seen it do is cure Var syndrome and buff people sometimes.

Or I could just use BCG, which does everything MZ does but better, faster, with essentially the same basic roll mechanic.

And communicatr with Fold Network beings

Gurps

>fold wave singers
>Not sound booster energy beam singers

ahem.

> kissing the rune

I'm not entirely sure that IS safe for work, actually...

How do runes even work? They're like a piece of flesh on the end of a tentacle, but the tentacle is the same color as their hair? It's on the end of a hairy tentacle? That's gross.

There are several systems built with mecha/dogfights in mind.

Battletech was originally a re-skinned macross-ish setting. It's diverged a LOT since then and is its own thing now, but you can re-skin it back. Palladium's systems are clunky but they've got the license and honestly it isn't too bad.

If you are willing to try GURPS, then Spaceships is a very solid design and gameplay system, and has an expansion (Spaceships 4) that permits both mecha and transforming mecha (it even has a thinly veiled Varitech already constructed as an example design). There's a Pyramid article just for Mecha that allows mecha conventions like transforming in dogfights as a tactic, FAST packs, and command armor (3-40).

Another possibility: reskin X-wing for the dogfights and use an RPG for ground-scale combat. The advantage here is that you can use a tabletop AI like from Heroes of the Aturi Cluster to run swarms of enemies.

>The number of games with both good Dogfighting and good Mecha combat rules I've heard of are rather low unfortunately.

FTFY

>If it was just mechs I'd recommend D&D 4e but the heavy plane focus changes that.

This is just colossally stupid. There's a whole generation of 4e players who've never played anything else and just don't get it. The sad thing is that this probably isn't bait-- there are seriously people out there who only play 4e and want to reskin it for Macross, Shadowrun, Call of Cthulu, and Mage The Ascension because that would be so much better!

I mean seriously man, what the hell is wrong with you?

So you made a post to imply that you know of a game that he doesn't that fits his criteria, cementing yourself as the superior RPG nerd, and then specifically refuse to mention what that system is?

That's rather ungentlemanly of you.

>people who only play 4e and want to reskin it for everything else
You're thinking of 3.5 there buddy

No just that any of the other games mentioned in this thread would be better than reskinning D&D 4e to a setting and combat format that it's totally unsuited for.

3.5 fanboys are guilty of this, too. But none showed up in this thread.

I think they've largely died out by this point, or at least shrunk away into the shadows.

I haven't seen someone actually suggest using 3.5 for something wasn't fantasy dungeoneering for a hot minute.

BCG is kind of weird and runs to a very super-y area. I'd use Strike for the same game (so, essentially 4e), but it's not going to run something like a Tachikoma game.

I've often wanted a good dogfighting game but there's not much for it. I used to like Warbirds until I actually played it and found the dogfighting roll was kind of pointless.

Though in fairness, Strike's got a cover system and more ranged options, so it fits a lot better.

Battletech was originally a game for fighting animu mechs against each other, which it has since moved away from.
BUT, it still has comprehensive mech creation rules and, while the line dev tried really hard to erase them, it has rules for mechs that turn into planes and rules for dogfights (And infantry, tanks, helicopters, power armor, water ships, spacecraft, and a few other unit types).
The only thing it doesn't have is aliens or mech-scale biological units.
Also, actually using the rules for Land-Air Mechs and dogfights makes it go from rules heavy to "an hour or two per turn" unless everyone involved knows the relevant rules by heart.

The Old Robotech (See image) was good, but Macross II & 2nd Ed (Shadow chronicles) suffers Rifts style damage and range scaling (I.E. Laser Pistols with the punch of 150mm cannons)

How does Jovian Chronicles stack up?

I've heard good things about the early editions of it.

The trick is that you're dealing with three formats of combat (land, air, and space), two scales (personal and 10-100 ton vehicular), and three speed regimes. You need a system that can't just handle all those modes, but can also freely transition between them and handle interactions between them.

Hence my interest in GURPS. The SS/R scaling in the game engine can handle that stuff pretty smoothly, and then Spaceships gives you most of the rules already pre-calculated and ready to go. Plus with a catalog of designs already there (some clearly inspired by Macross).

If you're not allergic to GURPS (some are, I know) and willing to do your GM prep work (GURPS's big weakness) then it makes a perfect system to run this kind of chronicle.

Does not matter. I hope she doesn't win. The one thing I love about Macross is the mature older women always wins. I am hoping it stays that way.

What Freyja has shown conviction and maturity. Also shes half her lifespan. Mirage is older but certainly not mature

Sheryl is fucking cancer.

>Also shes half her lifespan

That's another reason I do not want her to win. Even if Freyja wins she is going to be a grandma in 10 years while Hayate is still young and at his prime. In 15 years she will probably die leaving Hayate all alone. Also this is the future, so who is to say humans didn't extend their lifespan a little or make themselves look younger for a longer period of time. Either way their love will have a heartbreaking end.

Personally I would have love for Mikumo to win but she isn't part of the triangle. So Mirage is the only option left. Well at least it helps that both Mirage and Hayate are pilots and soldiers so at least they can have some thing in common with each other.

Sheryl is best girl. Her music is awesome and she has good style. She is having hardcore sex with Alto on the Vajra planet. This is fact so fuck off.

Everyone knows the sky wins Altos heart.

But really, sheryl is the worst girl and her songs are shitty engrish riddled messes and I will fight you.

Why would you fight a battle that you lost years ago faggot?

Stay mad Rankafag.

Mirage is a fucking literally who. She has no presence at all in the series. People wouldn't even know she's part of the "love triangle" is not for Kawamori saying so.

That's easily the weakest part of Delta so far. For supposedly being important Mirage really does not matter at all 99% of the time. It's the Freyja and Mikumo show.