Return to the Fold

> Played Sisters of Battle for a long time
> Edition Changed, survived
> Became Witch Hunters, survived
> Edition Changed, Survived
> Got a shitty White Dwarf 'codex' which took away even more shit.
> Ragequit 40k
> Time Passes
> Unpack Sisters, Interested Again
> Go to local store, check out the scene
> New Rules, New Codex (sort of)
> Get told by everyone Sisters are Shit, need Allies for the heavy lifting
> Have thousands of points of sisters, minimal supporting IG and Inquis forces.
> How fucked am I?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dM1BAJOG2no&list=PLy55WVLwDMPlyr7qFDehv8aCI9wnuDvZd&index=11
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How badly do you want to win? If you don't really care about winning, you're fine, and if you're playing Sisters as a main force you probably already know it's going to be an uphill battle.

If you really like your sisters, don't just give up because the meta is stacked against you. You provide variety to your game group, and fun for your friends.

This. It's a good thing that someone is around playing SoBs, they're far too expensive for people to start collecting now, if you're having fun playing them then just go with it, as long people in your shop are super tryhard you should be fine anyway.

user, the game is in such a terrible state right now - it doesnt even matter. The gap between the haves and the have-nots is wider than ever. A lot of the veterans have moved on to other games, and the playerbase is very different than it was 10 years ago.

Dont bother unless you have a good group to fall in with. I promise you it's a waste of time otherwise.

40K does not deserve you man.

Just pick up some generic rules system, play with friends, use your favourite minis.

Having special rules for specific units is not worth it if the tradeoff is horrible codex vs codex balance.

You'll be happier just using your sisters as "medium sci fi infantry" or whatever.

Play Sisters, make your Sisters proud!
In generel I like people who try to break the meta and play other then everone else and since everyone is shitting on the sisters, it is nice to see someone try.
Well, besides that, there was a Fan-Codex for the Sisters on 1d4chan I think. Haven't checked it because I don't have a sisters Army. Way to expensive. I just hope that GW come down and unfuck tehmselfs by releasing new plastic sister models and a codex worth something...
Anyways, you might want to check the codex out and ask the other players you regualarly play with if it is okay to use that one instead.
But I do advice investing in atleast some IG forces.

Sisters do alright in the meta. They're not winning tournaments, but you can get some fun games as long as you can find fun players.

The new faq makes condemner boltguns fuckawesome again. If you hit, not would, hit ANY model in a unit that contains a psyker (all flavors of pskyer, including pskyer dreads) then a random pskyer in the unit suffers a perils of the warp.

This and our deny the witch rolls puts the breaks on the psyker rape train that's been rolling through the meta recently.

Also, immolators have the access hatch fire point now too, from the same faq. Melta spam on wheels got even easier now.

Only downside of the faq is resolving heavy flamer and flamer hits separately, so less chances for hits due to causalities now.

>hit, not WOUND, hit any model

(User cursed the heathen mechanicus' vox auto-correct feature during this post)

Right now 40k is all about the haves and the have nots. Sisters are not a 'haves' army but they are far, far away from the bottom of the power rankings.

>our deny the witch rolls puts the breaks on the psyker rape train that's been rolling through the meta recently.
I was under the impression that the main psychic cheese strats relied on blessings like invisibility, IE, things you wouldn't get an improved DtW rolls against even as sisters.

I have been playing consistently Sisters of Battle for ten years now.

I am always told by folks who don't play them, that they heard they are unplayable in this current meta or that current meta.

I think that's bullshit. In this current edition we have a veryyyy mono-list style of army construction, I've played enough to know that the army does have a strength however you can't be very creative in trying other units outside of there very specific needs in army construction.

Multiple Small Units are powerful, our dominions have a one turn Ignore cover Melta spam with a scout move. So turn one we can be up in the opponents face with melta to wreck enemy lines. There is a lot of other little tricks we can pull off but really, the gist of it, is that we still got a place in the game.

We aren't OP and we won't get 1st place at tournaments unless something stupid happens, but they are still a very entertaining army to play and even after playing with Space Marines and Eldar, I still go back to SoB because there play style is great.

>Ignoring the 'THIS AND' at the start of the sentence.
>Ignoring everything else written before that too.

Are you really this dumb?

Couldn't find a W40K general so I'm gonna post here. Just glued together my first model, Blood Angel tactical marine. Feels good, 11 models and a furioso to go!

This is pretty much spot-on. The Sisters codex isn't particularly weak. It's far more playable than Orks or non-Flyrant spam Tyranids, because any army that can put lots of cheap transports full of meltas and flamers on the table is always going to be reasonably playable. They're just a bit boring and monobuild, because there's so few unit types in the army. 90% of their units are just Sisters with various types of gun and a different special rule bolted on. If that doesn't bother you, they're still a surprisingly punchy little army.

- magnetize arms on sarge, special/heavy weapon guy and the dread, you will thank me later
- remove mold lines before assembly
- for some models it's better to not assemble them fully at first and finish after painting, eg. if marine hugs bolter to his chest you would have problems paining the chest after you glued arms with the bolter
- first couple models you paint will look like shit, accept that and don't get discouraged, it will get better with practice

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but do the Sisters on the tabletop play anything like the Sisters in Soulstorm?

Nah, it isn't a dumb question at all. A lot of folks who began to have interest in sisters, started cause of that game.

However sadly a lot of those units are misleading when you play them on the battlefield.

Sisters repentia were BRUTAL in the game, and are easily the worst unit to invest in on the table these days. Same goes with the Penitent Engine. (They look strong but have no armor to protect them and are expensive points wise)

The Seraphim were a shit unit they died like a bitch in the game, but they are rather tough on the tabletop and even with Dominions being as powerful as they are, it still isn't bad to take a single unit of one to the table.

The saint (Saint Celestine) is more or less well represented, she is even more powerful on the tabletop to be honest,

The exorcists were very useful in the game but on the tabletop its one of the more powerful tanks for its points cost in the game. Its dirt cheap and shoots amazingly powerful missles at targets and it has good armor to boot.

Overall, if you relied on the game to help decide your starting army composition, you would be rather disappointed in the results. It was the case when the game first came out and it still is relevant today.

Well, that's good to know. Sad to hear the Repentia aren't good though - it doesn't sound like the Sisters really have a dedicated melee unit then.

What about the Immolator? I was lucky enough to get a few pieces for one, so I feel like I could kitbash with a Rhino.

Immolators used to have a ability that allowed them to move incredibly far and fire there weapons as if they were stationary. It was BRUTAL.

They lost that ability but are still very well costed for what they do, spam Multi-Melta Immolators with 5/6man teams of Domnions and you are doing alright. The more immolators you own the better.

There is a forge world kit for a rhino variant for sisters only called a repressor, and that is a good alternative too for Basic troop sister transports. But really, immolators do the job well enough.

the FAQ made 1 sister able to fire out of the immolator-hatch, making it better than a razorback.

And generally Excorcists are good

Sisters have always been able to run the parking lot, even when transports were horrible (ie 3rd). When they made the change to 5 min for a unit, they only got better at it. Shit, you can get 2 meltas/flamers in a rhino for like 120 points now. That's cheap all things considered.

I remember when Seraphim were monsters who could spam invul and Rending like nothing. Even after the changes, they could still force tons of wounds with the dual flamers on faith turn, assault what's left to tie them up, and then jump back on the opponents next turn.

I haven't played in awhile, though. My group disintegrated like 2 years ago.

>all these pro tips
>don't understand half and not prepared to do the other half
I would love to magnetize their arms but.. I don't know where to begin and kind of want to just get them built already. My Captain is getting a hand-flamer and a lightning claw and my sarge is getting a bolt pistol and a power sword. These may be poor choices down the line if I start playing at lgs but seeing as there are none within 40 miles and I'll only have my equally scrub friend to play against, points don't really matter for now and I have tons of shit I need to buy anyway.

NEW Sister are just around the corner.
>youtube.com/watch?v=dM1BAJOG2no&list=PLy55WVLwDMPlyr7qFDehv8aCI9wnuDvZd&index=11

Its only 10 more year till next codex with Plastic Models ;) GW need time for this stuff unlike everyone els.

New Special Rule: Drain
Sisters of Battle may felate a Space Marine or Chaos Space Marine draining them of their gene seed, reducing target unit's strength by half and adding that value to Sisters of Battle unit.

How well are they painted? Could have a really nice display army.

Lol wat? Sisters are 7/10 at worst. 3 Exorcists, spam rhinos.

>Point out more-or-less flat out wrong in the information posted
>HURR DURR, JUST LOOK AT ALL THE CORRECT SHIT AROUND IT AND IGNORE THE ONE AND AND ONLY PART YOU MENTIONED WAS WRONG RETARD!
Unless the new FAQ allows you to use Adamantium Will for DtW rolls on blessings, then the new FAQ and thus the rest of the post is irrelevant to what I pointed out dickhead.

Anyone have any good tactics for the white dwarf codex?
Can't find anything on 1d4chan and my group only play 5th.

I'm with you in spirit, sister. I started recently and I was torn between crazy space nuns or IG. Only reason I really went with IG was because they were actually in the store.

Does anyone have some pics of some well painted sisters? I can't tell if the GW models on the site are just bad or badly painted.

HQ
Celestine
>but I w-
Shut up and use Celestine

Fast
2-3 5x Dominions with Meltas in a TLMMolator
0-1 Full Seraphim with Hand Flamers

Elite
Nothing to see here
>but cele-
NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Troops
2 squads in a rhino with any of these combos depending on meta
Heavy Flamer and Flamer
Heavy Flamer and Melta
Melta and Melta

Heavy
2-3 Exorcists
0-1 5+ Retributers with 4 Heavy Bolters

That's your skeleton structure. Adjust to your meta.

Celestine wins. Period. She is honestly OP as shit and you're not going to get a better HQ.

Dominions are your bread and butter in the WD. If you really have to save points, downgrade to Rhinos, but the TLMM is fine. Use scout moves to your advantage, and don't be afraid to keep one in reserve to flank. Chances are they're going to die, but they'll leave slag behind first. Combi-Melta is just fine, too.

Seraphim are really good at rolling tons of dice. I like using them with Celestine for 5 twin linked flamer templates. They have Hit and Run, and can be assholes about it. Pick an annoying ranged unit, assault, stay in during their next round, and jump away during THEIR turn so you can shoot them again.

A small squad of 5 Retributers with HBs is a cheap 85pt unit that can do a decent amount of damage. Rending HBs are great, just don't overestimate them.

Battle Sisters are bland, but they get the job done. I usually keep one in reserve for late game objective capturing on my side. Feel free to get more. I personally like using HF/melta so I can do a bit of everything. Combi-Plasma/PP on the VSS isn't a bad option either to round out the variety.

Celestians are not bad, just overpriced. Get them when you have literally no other slots but elite.

Source is me. I took 7th place out of 67 in a large local tournament during 5th, and played pretty regularly at my local shop.

Sisters do have good close combat, ecclisiarchy battle conclaves can be brutal if used right

>ecclisiarchy battle conclave
The problem isn't with them; the problem is that Sisters don't have any assault vehicles to get them where they need to be.
You're better off taking a Battle Conclave as/with Inquisition since they get access to Land Raiders.
Of course then you're stuck taking allies and stuck taking a Land Raider when literally everyone has Grav/Melta/Haywire to kill it turn one.
Outside of Battle Conclaves, most of your melee options are stuck at I3 or lower. You're generally not gonna hit first. Attaching a priest and using War Hymns to get re-rolls to your armor saves so you can survive to hit back is a good work around, but this means you don't get re-rolls to wound (you also have to first pass a LD test on 7) and this can't generally can't be done to Seraphim which sucks.
Penitent Engines are great fun too but taking a unit of them means one less unit of Exorcists which blows.
Overall, sisters are on the weaker side when it comes to melee imo. Hasn't stopped me from using them on one occasion to kill a Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury , much to the rage of my friend/opponent.

cheers man, you're the best

Well I put together my BA Captain, flamer, heavy flamer, and a regular marine. How the fuck I am ever going to paint these things with any detail, I know not. Next army I'll be ready to paint before I glue.

"Good" close combat for the past 2+ years has only referred to units that are T5 or higher, 12" move or faster, and W2 or higher, usually with 3++ save.

See: Khorne Fleshhound, Necron Wraith, Thunderwolf Cavalry, Imperial Knights, etc.

Units like you describe aren't "good" they are just glass cannons. Same as Death Company. Hit hard but will die afterwards, if not to shooting, then eventually simply dying in melee. Moving fast and being extremely tough and sturdy are more important than hitting hard: see Necron Wraiths.

All I have is a few pics saved from WIP threads. It's tough when you want an idea of how you should paint up a Seraphim, but you can't find a good example.

Keep in mind that (A) most people are really, really bad at the game, (B) the meta changes faster than most people's armies, so a lot of people will still be playing models that are comparatively weak now, and (C) most people don't play tournament-level or cheese armies in LGS pickup games.

It's totally possible to play and win consistently with SoB as long as you're not trying to play them at a tournament level. The one thing is that you'll need a lot of armor to be at all relevant in the current meta. If you don't have 6+ transports, 4+ Exorcists, and maybe an Avenger, you're fucked.

The metal + manface combo doesn't help them out.

Don't worry user, glue melts paint off!

An alternate rendition of that particular sculpt.

Another.

Heavy Bolter Bitch.

HBB again.

And some by GW's own Darren Latham.

thanks a lot for the pics.

OP Here

I certainly have plenty of Immolator/Rhino magnet jobs left. I suppose I'll give it a shot with some pure sisters (and maybe just a hint of Sisters flavored Inquisitor). If nothing else, it'll be fun to show off some of the models and conversions.

Any practical advice on WTF to do about flyers? Back when I played, they were forgeworld only cheese. And unless I'm missing something in the codex, neither Inquisitors nor Sisters get much anti-Air.

Hey buddy, I've been playing sisters since codex witch hunters, and to be honest; they're the best they've been since then right now.
Your basic cannoness is worthless; there's basically 0 reason to take her. I usually take Celestine but Jacobus can be good if you use a blob of 20 sisters with priests in it.
The current best list is probably MSU. Repressors are the best option for transports since you can fire everything out of them, and av13 on the front makes S6 worthless against you first turn.
Exorcists aren't as good as people say if I'm honest. A lot of their value is the fear factor. I've had games where they've never gone above 3 shots, and games where i couldn't stop getting 6's. They're super unreliable
Here's my version of that sculpt you've all been posting.

Frankly, barring a few exceptions, flyers are only amazing against other flyers, so i usually ignore them with my grey knights. You can get an Aegis defence line and a quad gun, or run an Avenger Strike Fighter (forgeworld), or ally in something with good AA capabilities. Have you read the 1d4chan tactica for sisters? Its not 100% perfect, but its a good start

Dominions are 100% better than Seraphim too. Because you'll be taking Celestine most of the time, it's really tempting to take them, but they add almost nothing she can't do alone (save ablative wounds and a look out sir)
My usual list at 1500 for casual games looks something like:
Celestine (135)
2x 5BSS in Immo, TL MM, Flamerx2 (like 135 or so?)
3x 5Doms in repressors, 4xmelta, combimelta, VSS, meltabombs(~205 each)
3 pen engines (I like the model even though they suck) (240)
And 2 exorcists

Now you can't go much further competitively with sisters without allies; your big choices are:
Assassins for anti psyker
Wyverns from guard for anti horde
BA drop pods (FAQ ruined this)
Knights
Inq for land raiders or inquisitors with servo skulls

Other options don't really give you choices that sisters can't do alone

Seriously... dominions.
They're worth their weight in gold; and cause sisters to be pretty much the only army whose standard army list is able to fight pure knight armies and have it actually be a fun game

What Order are you running? Order of the Blue Robe? Seems like a lot of people like that order.